PDA

View Full Version : Friggin stupid California Hard Water!!!

351c.i.d
05-24-2003, 05:07 AM
AGGGGGGGGGGHHH. So I just spent a whole day putting Zaino on my car, looks great. I don't know if it is just my local area or what, but the water here is ridiculous when it comes to hard water spots. The guy who sold me the zaino gave me a few tips to help with the spots, but they really didn't seem to work. He said to use distilled water when clay barring, etc. I even tried doing washing one section at a time and drying as soon as possible, but you have to be really careful when you rinse the car as well, because if you're not then water gets to other parts of the car and so on. Plus the spots seem to have engraved themselves into my windows, no matter how hard I try, I can't get them out, and the windows always streak. Can anyone help????

Black42R
05-24-2003, 06:26 AM
rubbing compound and steel wool on the windows. Use real steel wool and not that 3M synthetic crap. Little polish them out.

socalmach1
05-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Think about installing water softner? just for your car;)

351c.i.d
05-24-2003, 01:42 PM
I've thought about a water softener, but have no idea where to even start with that, or what is involved. Im that picky about my Mach and would most likely do it if it were feasible. Has anyone else tried this or heard of anyone doing this?
What about the rest of you guys in CA. Do you have the same problem? Or maybe its just **** "cowtown" Vacaville

Dragman
05-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Same thing here in Suisun City. You just gotta NEVER let the water dry on the car. I ALWAYS "immediately" towel it dry before I do anything else. I looked into water softeners when I lived in Benicia, kinda expensive, even from Sears. I ALWAYS use Turtle Wax Detail Spray immediately after washing to protect against water spots and everything else!! When do u wanna get together??

351c.i.d
05-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Hey Dragman. Sorry bout that. I've been flying my butt off and just got home a couple days ago. I have family coming into town this weekend but next weekend would be great! (Provided I don't get sent on another mission) I'll keep you posted this week to let you know what the schedule looks like. If all goes well I'll have thurs fri sat off. This sunday afternoon or monday would be cool too!!
Whats involved with the water softener? Do you have to install any water tanks or anything else?

Low Drag
05-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Don't waste your money buying a water softener if you don't have to. My entire life I've had well water which is also very hard. Check the phone book. There are bound to be places around that will rent you a water softener and will install it for a lot cheaper than buying one. If you find a good place you can usually cut a deal with them where they will apply half the money you spend on renting it towards purchasing the unit if you ever decide to do so.

Shaker1
05-28-2003, 02:28 PM
There are several advantages to a water softener.
Less wear and tear on your household fixtures from minerals and water spots. Usually you can save a lot on detergents for your clothes and dish washer. Having a softened spigot for washing the car is great, but you probably want normal water for watering the lawn and shrubs. All of this offsets the cost of ownership. Personally, I would price a few locally and compare the cost to rental. I have never known a situation where renting is cheaper than buying in the long run.

hyepwrd
05-30-2003, 01:42 AM
you guys on the east bay dont have it so bad.
you get ground water like we do, but a few hours south we also have countless other 'additives' ( :rolleyes: ) from the farms and dairies (i'll leave that to your imagination, but it makes the local news occasionally). We also have the constant 100f heat and low humidity to make things more difficult on us farm-folk.

funny thing is: I had a brand new toyota truck that never got water spots the 2 years i had it, and i take care of my 02 MUCH better than it :(

:OFFTOPIC: never got spirals on the truck and got them 6 months into my Mustang :frown: