PDA

View Full Version : Headers

Jc'S MaCh 1
05-16-2003, 11:11 PM
I am planning on maybe doing this mod in the near future and was wondering if anyone has done this mod.

I know you can get some great HP and torque increases with this nice bolt on. I was thining equal length shorties or maybe long tube with a cated X pipe. As for brand I am still doing some research but if anyone has feedback on this it would be appreciated.

I was wondering about the finish as well. I want something that can last and not rust or have the finish flaking off.

Thanks

Jc

Overload
05-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Nobody that I know of makes an equal-length shorty header for the 4.6 mod motors in the Mustang -- I don't think it will fit! I don't know if any of the aftermarket shorty headers (Ford's included) add much beyond the stock manifolds on a near-stock car.

Bassani makes their "optimum-length" header (which has been described in these forums as a "mid-length" header), which requires use of their custom X-pipe (cats are not an option with this X-pipe). I don't know much about long-tube options for these motors.

As far as finish: ceramic coating is the only option that will last. Even with that finish you can get a little surface (cosmetic) rust, but they shouldn't rust through.

Mike
Austin, TX
2003 Torch Red 5spd Mach 1 w/IUP

Jc'S MaCh 1
05-17-2003, 04:47 AM
BBK makes an equal length shorty header for the Mod 4.6L

Jc

Overload
05-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Can you post a link? I've never seen these, and can't find anything on the Brothers Performance website (the only equal-length shorties they have on that site are for 5.0s, 95 and older).

Thanks,
Mike

Austin, TX
Torch Red 5spd 2003 Mach 1 w/IUP

Darkhorse
05-17-2003, 11:56 AM
The 03 Mach 1 and 03 Cobra use new heads with a different design on the exhaust port. The BBK's were not designed for the 03 heads. If you put them or any other header that wasn't designed for the 03 4V heads than you will partially obstruct the exhaust port. I know Bassani makes their midlengths for the Mach and 03 Cobra and JDM makes long tubes for use with those heads. I haven't looked into JBA but they may have some now as well. It's not that pre-03 headers won't bolt on but why spend the time and money putting something on that will block some of the port. If it were my car I would get the Bassani's or the JDM/Kooks. What about emissions testing in your area? Do you have it?