PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow X-pipe & Cat-back installed: Reviews!

The Mach Says
05-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Well, I got both of them installed at an exhaust shop yesterday, and I must say, IT ROCKS!!! The fitment was ok, but definitely could have been better. Upon final inspection, everything seemed to have sufficient and proper clearance, but as the thing heats up, I guess it expands, and now I'm getting a rubbing noise from the left cat (I went under last night to see if I could pinpoint the location). It's only present when you're taking off from a dead stop, but it's pretty annoying........gotta get it fixed. The right-side pipe from the muffler back is also very tight from the control arm, and could have used a wider turning radius on the mandrel bend.

As far as the sound of the exhaust, it's AWESOME. On idle, it's not obnoxious at all, with a low rumble that tells the onlooker there's an exhaust system on here. On low rev's, it keeps the classic Mustang tone, and sounds absolutely perfect in your normal shift range. Substantially louder than stock......4-6K RPM it sounds like a beast......like a concierto of exhaust tunes..........really good sound. Slight drone cruising at 2200 RPM, but then again, I LOVE to hear and feel it.

Overall I am very pleased.......Paid $100 for the install, and the guys were very professional, careful, and knowledgeable. I used up about $15 worth of gas yesterday, just driving her back and around!! :cool: I couldn't do a before and after dyno, cause the shop I do the dyno at was backed up till Thursday with appts and stuff, so I guess we'll never know the difference, but I can say that she seems to pull much better in the mid-RPM range, and no decreased torque down low at all.........in fact, I may have gained there too.

If your goal is to have a clean-sounding, powerful exhaust system, this is it. If you want to scare the neighborhood kids and make your wife think there is an earthquake when you start her up in the garage, get yourself something else. To me, this is exactly what I wanted.............since when I pulled into my complex in 2nd gear, people turned heads from about 500-600 feet away. Good enough for me!

I'll have pics and video by week's end, and will post link to an imagestation page.

thx,
JC

Bart
05-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Appreciate the informative review. I must say it sounds (pardon the pun) like you made a very good choice. Were you able to retain the Mach 1 tips? :) :)

Thanks,

Barry (Bart)

cobrajg
05-05-2003, 02:28 AM
Glad to see you like it! :THUMBSUP:

Dragman
05-05-2003, 02:50 AM
That's the set-up I wanna go with. How's the drone inside the car at 2,000 RPM?? The shops in my area want $125 to install just the cat-back, didn't even ask what they want for the x-pipe install!! You gotta great deal!!!

KidMach
05-05-2003, 04:08 AM
I did my own MagnaFlow x-pipe and cat back install with absolutely no fitment problems! The problems you are experiencing are the fault of the installer.

This system is fully adjustable. Rotating the short angled sections between the mufflers and the x-pipe permit shifting the position of the mufflers. There is plenty of length adjustment permitting correct fore/aft positioning for over the axle clearance, etc. The tailpipe sections have plenty of adjustment to perfectly center the pipes in the lower valence cutouts. You can even slide the tips in or out a couple of inches......I prefer mine protruding out slightly further than the stock tips did.

My system does not produce the droning sound you mention. I suspect that may be related to the poor install the "pros" did for you.

Don't accept any excuses from the bumpkins who did your install, because this system is as good as they get. The overall quality, performance, sound and even appearance of the beautifully polished mufflers is top notch.

Got mine (catted x-pipe and cat back) on eBay for $650. That's about what the Bassani cat back alone sells for!

Mach On,

Kid Mach

Azure
05-05-2003, 05:09 AM
I just did my exhaust this past weekend. I went with Magnaflow mufflers welded in the stock cat-back. In this configuration the exhaust was actually quieter than the stock mufflers. It was no louder than my 96 T-bird except under mid to heavy throttle.

The next day I installed a Mac economy off road H-pipe and WOW what a difference. It's just a bit louder at 70 mph but running it through the gears produces a loud heavy sound with more bass than any other exhaust I've every heard. It turns heads without being "Kid racer" obnoxious.
For daily driving it may be a bit much for some but I think it's perfect. It sounds better than my souped up 351C powered 72 Mach1 with Aero chamber mufflers.

azurething
05-05-2003, 05:22 AM
what is the php plenum spacer??:??:

KidMach
05-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for asking........PHP is actually Paul's High Performance, in Jackson, MI. He is fairly well known in the drag racing arena and has a website.

The plenum spacer is a 3/8 inch thick plate that increases the plenum area for a bit better top end breathing. The plenum, or top section of your intake manifold removes easily by loosening the 8 bolts that secure it. The spacer itself looks like a thick metal gasket, which you just place over the existing gasket, then place another gasket on top of it and bolt the plenum back in place.

Paul sells the spacer complete with additional gasket and the required longer bolts for $80. He also offers a fully modified intake manifold if you want a big boost in intake flow.......but its big money and more involved to swap.

Kid Mach

The Mach Says
05-05-2003, 06:18 AM
The fitment problems are not in the muffler, and piping sections......I simply said the piping could use more clearance in the back area..........all in all, I think the catback fits pretty much perfect.

My problem with the rubbing is with the x-pipe........the driver's side high-flow cat is rubbing, and that's what I need fixed.........The guys told me if there is any problems with anything to take it back anytime, and they'd fix it. This is what I'll have done Tuesday.

I used the Magnaflow tips because I like them more than the stock ones.............They're larger, and look nicer IMO, but if I ever want to put the stock ones back, I can unbolt the Magnaflow tips, and have the stock ones welded on. I doubt I'll do that.

The drone isn't really a "drone" per say..............It's simply a more pronounced exhaust note from the vehicle over stock, in the 2200 RPM range. Not annoying at all as I mentioned earlier.............I love it.

Hope I answered some more questions................BTW, I paid $688 for the system, shipped to my door, off of Ebay as well......

thx
JC

KidMach
05-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Hmmmm..........sounds strange to hear that the cat is rubbing, since the x-pipe pipe is positively located by its mating with the exhaust manifolds. This is the only piece in the system that is non-adjustable simply because it should not need any adjustment. Have you been under the car to see where the actual contact is occuring?

I would be very careful about letting your installers "fix" the x-pipe because they will have to bend both sides and move it as a unit to reposition the cat. The position of one exhaust manifold mounting flange relative to the other MUST not be changed. So in other words they will have to bend both sides identically, or sealing to the exhaust manifolds will be compromised and you will burn gaskets.

You also need to be careful they don't do an easy "fix" by putting a dent in your undercarriage to provide clearance.

By the way......have you checked the motor mounts? There is a possibility you have a motor mount problem, which is allowing enough movement to bang the cat into the undercarriage. This movement would be particularly pronounced at takeoff, as you say............

Good luck!

azurething
05-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by KidMach
Thanks for asking........PHP is actually Paul's High Performance, in Jackson, MI. He is fairly well known in the drag racing arena and has a website.

The plenum spacer is a 3/8 inch thick plate that increases the plenum area for a bit better top end breathing. The plenum, or top section of your intake manifold removes easily by loosening the 8 bolts that secure it. The spacer itself looks like a thick metal gasket, which you just place over the existing gasket, then place another gasket on top of it and bolt the plenum back in place.

Paul sells the spacer complete with additional gasket and the required longer bolts for $80. He also offers a fully modified intake manifold if you want a big boost in intake flow.......but its big money and more involved to swap.

Kid Mach :THUMBSUP:
Thanks for the info.:COOL:

wannabDSG
05-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I checked out PHPs web site and could not find anything on the plenum spacer. Do you know where I can find more info on it? Did you do a before and after dyno with no other changes for the 11hp gain or was this based on reviews? $80 for 11 hp is quite a bargain!
Thanks

Originally posted by KidMach

Kid Mach

KidMach
05-05-2003, 03:28 PM
I think PHP may only mention the spacer along with the modified intake manifold on the website. Just give them a call and they will sell you the spacer separately.

My numbers were from the same dyno, but unfortunately not the same day. The spacer was the only change to the motor, showing gains of +11hp and +4tq. The hp peak moved up almost 200rpm to just over 6000.

In all fairness, it may not be realistic to believe the spacer will give everybody +11hp. That's what the dyno indicated for my setup so that's what I reported.

I will look forward to seeing the results others get if they choose to install a spacer. If it turns out we all end up with similar results I agree.......its a great bargain......kind of like a K&N filter.

Kid Mach

rjw158
05-05-2003, 08:41 PM
I am also running the MagnaFlow cat back system with off road
X-pipe and long tube headers. I did the complete header and exhaust install myself with no problems. The MagnaFlow system uses a 3 1/2 " chrome tip versus the stock 3". Since the install I have only had to make 1 adjustment on the right exhaust tip after a day at the track. This system was a perfect fitting assembly and my hats off to the MagnaFlow Q.C. dept. If you want a bad a** sounding exhaust system this is the one to get, after 4000 RPM all He** breaks loose.

lk2drvmach1
05-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by rjw158
I am also running the MagnaFlow cat back system with off road
X-pipe and long tube headers. I did the complete header and exhaust install myself with no problems...

rjw, what long tube headers did you use? I'm thinking about installing the same setup and I'd like to do it myself. I've installed an o/r pipe and cat back on my '89 5.0, but never tried headers on an engine that was installed in the car. How difficult was it to install the headers? Was there any special tools that you needed? Did you have to remove anything to facilitate the installation? Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

richtor
05-06-2003, 02:42 AM
hey kid mach - your car sounds sweet!

how bout a picture?:THUMBSUP:

KidMach
05-06-2003, 02:47 AM
How difficult was it to install your headers? I'm thinking about doing it but have heard it is a VERY tough install to do.

Since our stock manifolds are port matched to the cylinder head, and I have ground and smoothed the outlet side of mine.....I'm wondering how much power I would actually gain from headers. Do you know how much you picked up?

Kid Mach

rjw158
05-06-2003, 08:03 AM
The headers are Kooks from JDM engineering with off road X=pipe. They are single tube units which tie together at the collector.
The install was around 8 hrs. but it involved learning a few things concerning the correct installation order of the single header tubes. If I would have to do it again, I would say around 5 hrs. If you guys decide to get the Kooks headers, e-mail me and I will give you some useful info concerning the install.

azurething
05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Azure
[B]I just did my exhaust this past weekend. I went with Magnaflow mufflers welded in the stock cat-back. In this configuration the exhaust was actually quieter than the stock mufflers. It was no louder than my 96 T-bird except under mid to heavy throttle.

I was thinking of just swapping out the stock mufflers with the magna flows,but you say it made it quieter than with the stock mufflers??
Has anyone installed a set of Flowmasters?:cool:

richtor
05-06-2003, 01:29 PM
i had flowmaster put in a thier catback in my mach 1. i really like the sound, deep and throaty. the 4v engine gets it to sound a lot like the old carberated v8's.
on a long trip(over 4 hours) the noise does get a little bit anoying.
but at least you can hear the engine at idle unlike the stock cat back. i would put them on again in an instant.:THUMBSUP:

Bart
05-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Has anyone installed the Magnaflow Catback system P/N 15671 by itself? If so, how is the sound? Did you notice any performance increase?

I understand Azure welded in some Magnaflow mufflers and said it was quiter than stock but I'm not sure which Magnaflow mufflers he used and if the are the same ones that come with the PN 15671 Catback system.

rjw158
05-06-2003, 07:34 PM
99-03 GT #15671 is the catback system that I installed, no welding required.

The Mach Says
05-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey guys...............I have 3 .MPGS of about 2.5 Megs each, one shifting mid-range RPM's, another under WOT, and another revving while stationary................I'm having problems uploading to my ImageStation acct.................Does anyone want to host them, and link them to this thread? Please send me your email address so I can email them to you

I think this'll be the best way to give you guys an idea of what I have here with this setup.

Let me know.........Thx.......JC

Azure
05-07-2003, 12:52 AM
The mufflers I installed were the standard straight through Magnaflows. the same ones used in the cat-back systems. They do make a turbo muffler that sucks and the Magnapack. The Magnapack is very loud but performs well.

If you want loud don't just weld the mufflers in like I did. You will be disappointed. If you want loud with the stock H-pipe get the Magnapacks.

Bart
05-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Appreciate the info. :) :) :) :)

Best to all,

Barry (Bart)

Bart
05-07-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by rjw158
99-03 GT #15671 is the catback system that I installed, no welding required.
Hi Bob,

If you put the 15671 on before installing the headers, how would you rate the sound compared to the stock Catback?
Do you think it would be a noticable change from stock and worth the bucks to do just the 15671 install?

Thanks!

lk2drvmach1
05-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Bart
Has anyone installed the Magnaflow Catback system P/N 15671 by itself? If so, how is the sound? ...

Check out this site for sound clips of different mustang exhaust configurations.

mustang exhaust sound clips (http://www.mustangexhaust.com/)

Rob

Billybong
05-07-2003, 04:00 AM
:THUMBSUP: good job...that setup is exactly what I intend to do.

rjw158
05-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Barry,
I installed the Magnaflows after the headers and X-pipe. It is quite a bit louder than running through the stock mufflers, as I mentioned earlier after 4000 RPM it get pretty loud. Everyone I get feedback from loves the sound.

azurething
05-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Azure
The mufflers I installed were the standard straight through Magnaflows. the same ones used in the cat-back systems. They do make a turbo muffler that sucks and the Magnapack. The Magnapack is very loud but performs well.

If you want loud don't just weld the mufflers in like I did. You will be disappointed. If you want loud with the stock H-pipe get the Magnapacks.

Well i cut in just the magnaflows as you did ........cant say im disappointed but it seems quieter at idle but sounds a little better on the gas.I cant tell if it made any extra horsepower or tourqe if so it isnt much ,a magnaflow rep said the gain would be around 13 hp .........hardly noticeable.I will do a dyno run again when i get around 3000 miles on.:CHEERS:

lk2drvmach1
05-09-2003, 10:15 PM
I ordered a 15671 from performance-curve on ebay. It came to $325 with shipping. Can't wait to get it installed.

Does the stock cat back have to be cut to get it out?

Thanks,
Rob

Azure
05-09-2003, 11:19 PM
azurething:

I found the Magnaflows to be quieter everywhere except under power. Even cruise was quiter. When I installed the MAC H-pipe the mufflers came to life though.

KidMach
05-10-2003, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lk2drvmach1
[B]I ordered a 15671 from performance-curve on ebay. It came to $325 with shipping. Can't wait to get it installed.

Does the stock cat back have to be cut to get it out?

No, its not necessary to cut out the stock cat back to remove it. All you need to do is remove the two lower bolts from the rear shocks and two more on the control arms that attach to the differential housing. you can then lower the rear axle enough to remove the cat back sections.

You will need to jack the rear of the car up high enough so you can lower the axle about six inches. Use a floor jack to support the differential when removing the above bolts and then slowly lower the axle to get the clearance you need. If you remove the rear wheels you don't have to jack the car up as high.

Pay attention to where you place the floor jack on the diff housing, because the housing will want to rotate if you are too far towards the front or rear. This is important to help allign the control arm bolts during reassemby. If you have a problem, use jack stands to support the axle while you reposition the floor jack.

Kid Mach

lk2drvmach1
05-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Wow...I think I'll save some time and energy and just cut the old pipe.

Rob

KidMach
05-13-2003, 12:29 AM
It won't take you much longer to remove and reinstall the total of four bolts than it will to cut the pipes off. It might amount to about 15 minutes difference to save your original exhaust, and thats if you can cut off both sides in less than 5 minutes.

You still need to jack the car up to install the MagnaFlow system anyway........Kid Mach

lk2drvmach1
05-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks kidmach...I took your advice and removed the u-control arm bolts and the lower shock bolts. It wasn't as hard as I had invisioned especially once I got the floor jack in the right spot on the diff. The old pipes slid right out!

The Magnaflows sound great! It is a little louder than stock at idle and lower rpms but it gets good and throaty when I get on it. At highway speeds (70-80) it barely sounds any louder than stock.

I'm still not sure if I like the oem rolled tips or the 3 1/2 chrome tips better. I'd kind of like to put the rolled tips back on just to keep it different looking than the gt.

The next step will be an o/r x-pipe. I'm sure it will be quite a bit louder without the cats.

Rob

The Mach Says
05-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Finally posted the videos I have of my setup................It's on a separate thread........go here:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4443

JC

KidMach
05-14-2003, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lk2drvmach1
[B]Thanks kidmach...I took your advice and removed the u-control arm bolts and the lower shock bolts. It wasn't as hard as I had invisioned especially once I got the floor jack in the right spot on the diff. The old pipes slid right out!

Glad I could help you......perhaps others will benefit from your experience and be able to keep their original system intact when removing it.

Who knows, the day might come when you want to sell the car and if the new owner prefers a stock exhaust, no problem.

As for the sound, I did both the catted x-pipe and cat back together so I don't know how it sounds with the cat back only. With both pipes it is pure badness, with a ripping snarl from about 3800rpm on up, but only slightly louder when taking it easy.

Kid Mach