PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Is a cold air intake an enhancement or degredation to the car? Seems that the shaker IS a cold air intake, so therefore an aftermarket cold air intake would be a waste? Yes or no?

vpMach1
10-22-2005, 11:41 AM
uhhhhh you must be a newbie. Yes a cai will be a UPGRADE even if you have the shaker. Try 10-15 more horse power.

You should also do a search before asking questions like this because it would be easliy answered.

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Yeah, tried a search, thanks. Answers seem to go both ways. So in your opinion, how is it helpful, and how does it not completely negate the shaker?

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, tried a search, thanks. Answers seem to go both ways. So in your opinion, how is it helpful, and how does it not completely negate the shaker?

I hate it when Someone dogs you for not doing a search. To me thats why we are here and I love to help.

Anyway, an after market CAI or RAI will improve your HP. An upgraded CAI with an upgrade exhaust system (2 1/2"MRT Hpipe w/Cats and MRT Maxthunder catbacks), and Predator or SCT tune will give you big preformance increases.

IMO the JLT products are the best preformers and the least costly. They now have a JLT RAI that keeps the shaker funtional.(This is a brand new product and is not shown on his web site just yet) This thread has pictures of the it.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41324

I think the complete package will be around $165.00. Their CAI has the best HP gains but it puts the filter in the wheel well and the shaker does not help.

It really depends on your goal.

Want to look real good under the hood? MRT Street Smart CAI for the Mach is the best IMO.
http://mustangracing.mrt-direct.com/streetsmart.php

Best preformance and still looks good especially with custom paint either the JLT CAI or JLT RAI.
https://www32.ssldomain.com/jlttruecoldair/products.php?make=Ford&model=Mach%20I&year=2003-2004

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I hate it when Someone dogs you for not doing a search. To me thats why we are here and I love to help.

Anyway, an after market CAI or RAI will improve your HP. An upgraded CAI with an upgrade exhaust system (2 1/2"MRT Hpipe w/Cats and MRT Maxthunder catbacks), and Predator or SCT tune will give you big preformance increases.

IMO the JLT products are the best preformers and the least costly. They now have a JLT RAI that keeps the shaker funtional.(This is a brand new product and is not shown on his web site just yet) This thread has pictures of the it.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41324

I think the complete package will be around $165.00. Their CAI has the best HP gains but it puts the filter in the wheel well and the shaker does not help.

It really depends on your goal.

Want to look real good under the hood? MRT Street Smart CAI for the Mach is the best IMO.
http://mustangracing.mrt-direct.com/streetsmart.php

Best preformance and still looks good especially with custom paint either the JLT CAI or JLT RAI.
https://www32.ssldomain.com/jlttruecoldair/products.php?make=Ford&model=Mach%20I&year=2003-2004

Thanks for the info!!! Gonna read everything you posted, but just quick note for you, already have a borla stinger system on the car if that changes anything you said.

EDIT- No kidding you are in C-Ville? I was born and raised in Staunton!

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info!!! Gonna read everything you posted, but just quick note for you, already have a borla stinger system on the car if that changes anything you said.

EDIT- No kidding you are in C-Ville? I was born and raised in Staunton!

Yes, work in Charlottesville. Born in Michigan.
Shouldn't change anything. Is "system" a preformance h or x pipe and catback system? What size pipe? 2 1/2"? 3"?

Also in another thread you asked: As another guy ready to mod my car, why are headers a headache, and what advantages do they give?

They say on here the gains headers give on our cars are not enough to justify the cost and install hassle. Stock exhaust manufolds must be pretty good.

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 02:32 PM
So the JLT completely does away with the shaker?

vpMach1
10-22-2005, 02:36 PM
I say do a search because too me it is a waste of time to ask something that has been answered here 50 times before. Maybe they don't know there is a search option.

You know what else I hate? People who sell their products to people when they ask questions about a general item.

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 02:40 PM
2 3/4 pipes, no x or h (don't think thats available with borla) catback system.

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I say do a search because too me it is a waste of time to ask something that has been answered here 50 times before. Maybe they don't know there is a search option.

You know what else I hate? People who sell their products to people when they ask questions about a general item.

Hey man, I agree, a search is the best way to get a general idea over a topic. But when it comes time get details, a repost is always the way to go. Besides, depending how old the posts in the search are, more pertitant info may have come up since the original post.

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 04:06 PM

I guess I hit the sweet spot.

Sell what products?

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 04:18 PM
So the JLT completely does away with the shaker?
The CAI does. The new RAI system does not.

2 3/4 pipes, no x or h (don't think thats available with borla) catback system.

To get the most out of your exhaust you need to replace the stock hpipe with the H or X pipe w/high flow converters or no converters at all. If you can get away without converters then a H or X without converters would give you the best HP gain and real loud sound. I like my MRTs with the high flow converters. In VA they inspect for the converters so can't have off road. MRT makes both and IMO they make the best.

BTW: Here is what I would do in this order:
CAI or RAI,
new H or X
PHP Intake Spacer
New rear end gear
Predator or or SCT tuner
Dyno and A/F adjusment

Then its time to start worrying about the axles and suspension. May need to bump up to 31 splines.

Again it really depends upon your goals. Drag race or road race. or both. I am getting the spacer next.

Can't wait for all that commission to start rolling in for all the stuff I am selling!!!!!!!!! The checks must be getting intercepted by the wife and she is spending it on Jewelry:rolleyes:

vpMach1
10-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Having a bias opinion!

ponygt65
10-22-2005, 05:06 PM
K and N is close in price and they advertise 12 RWHP, without a tune. Granted that will vary, but IMO, there are too many K and N dealers around to ignore any warranty/technical problems. How many JLT dealers are around you?? You will be forced to deal with the email/phone ONLY.

I paid $170 for the K and N CAI - AND it uses the shaker. The JLT RAI with the Shaker option is new.

Since you already have the Catback, I would suggest doing the CAI second to last. Last being the tune. Do the spacer and other items first. A CAI matched with exhaust mods, will more than likely make you run lean. Granted it won't be a problem immediately, but you never know when and IF it will be a problem. So, I would NOT put the CAI on first.

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 05:19 PM
K and N is close in price and they advertise 12 RWHP, without a tune. Granted that will vary, but IMO, there are too many K and N dealers around to ignore any warranty/technical problems. How many JLT dealers are around you?? You will be forced to deal with the email/phone ONLY.

I paid $170 for the K and N CAI - AND it uses the shaker. The JLT RAI with the Shaker option is new.

Since you already have the Catback, I would suggest doing the CAI second to last. Last being the tune. Do the spacer and other items first. A CAI matched with exhaust mods, will more than likely make you run lean. Granted it won't be a problem immediately, but you never know when and IF it will be a problem. So, I would NOT put the CAI on first.

That make sense to me. Never thought about the support issue. Guess cause I line in VA where JLT is located. Good point about running lean!!!!!When I did my exhaust and RAI it ran lean so I had a dyno that same day and made adjustments with the predator.

If he had enough $s to do all at once then maybe:
CAI or RAI,
new H or X
PHP Intake Spacer
Predator or SCT tuner
Dyno and A/F adjustment

Can't wait to get my spacer on. Heard they make a big differnece in the low end.

ponygt65
10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
That make sense to me. Never thought about the support issue. Guess cause I line in VA where JLT is located. Good point about running lean!!!!!When I did my exhaust and RAI it ran lean so I had a dyno that same day and made adjustments with the predator.

If he had enough $s to do all at once then maybe:
CAI or RAI,
new H or X
PHP Intake Spacer
Predator or SCT tuner
Dyno and A/F adjustment

Can't wait to get my spacer on. Heard they make a big differnece in the low end.

HUGE difference. You will love it. We mostly noticed in second gear. But, man the seat of the pants feel was similar to the Cobra.

BTW - just as a suggestion to the original poster. Our plans are focused on warranty/originality. So this is what we are doing/did, In order:

Borla stingers
Steeda UDs
K and N drop in
Steeda springs (front only)
Intake spacer
X-pipe (w/ cats thanks to CA)
K and N CAI
Dyno tune/diablo predator

We are holding out on the CAI until we can get the tune done within 2 weeks of installing it. I know, a tad over-protective, but we dont' want to take any chances. We are only doing simple bolt ons and keeping the original tune.

Azure_1315
10-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok ponygt65, you have the stinger system, as do I...since it doesn't come with an x or an h pipe, how do you go about getting one to it? Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, remember, right now I can't look under the car because it is still in the shop getting fixed from the bump from behind.

Also, about going with no cats, how do you do that without the computer freaking out? I can get away with that in FL because there is no inspection. Also, aren't todays modern cats high flow anyway, and don't rob much power?

3150Mach1
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Ok ponygt65, you have the stinger system, as do I...since it doesn't come with an x or an h pipe, how do you go about getting one to it? Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, remember, right now I can't look under the car because it is still in the shop getting fixed from the bump from behind.

Also, about going with no cats, how do you do that without the computer freaking out? I can get away with that in FL because there is no inspection. Also, aren't todays modern cats high flow anyway, and don't rob much power?

You can eliminate the code with a Predator or a SCT handheld. Not sure but there is another way. Maybe ML eliminators. I don't know. I know my predator would take care of it.

High flow cats: The stock setup is 2 cats per pipe for a total of 4 on a 2 1/4" pipe. They are very restrictive. The high flow cats from Magnaflow and MRT (Same ones) are like night and day compared to the stock setup. Anyway you want to get rid of the 2 1/4" stock Hpipe with the 4 cats and get a bigger pipe. If you get the HF cats then you will still see a signifcant gain but not as much. It is all a function of cash.

Get the off road Hpipe and get a tuner. That baby will really howl. The tuner does may more things and is a necessary tool in the modifcation world.

ponygt65
10-23-2005, 05:09 PM
The dtinger sits in the same stock location, so X/H-pipe will be fine for fitment issues. The stingers (as with all "catback" systems) bolt on just passed the cross pipe, so they are bolt on mods. Nothing to major. The only problem you will run into is IF you decide to go with headers, depending on which ones, you might have to do some customizing. OFF-road pipes do make more power than non (obviously), but they do not produce all that much (a few HP), some restriciton is good for keeping TQ. Free-flow exhaust will gain HP, but may lose potential TQ, so it is up to you. If you do go with the off-road, mach150bp has some good advice.

BTW - there is nothing ignorant about you trying to learn. I personally spent the last year or so researching what everyone else has done and learned from there, but I also asked questions, just like you.

3150Mach1
10-23-2005, 06:13 PM
The dtinger sits in the same stock location, so X/H-pipe will be fine for fitment issues. The stingers (as with all "catback" systems) bolt on just passed the cross pipe, so they are bolt on mods. Nothing to major. The only problem you will run into is IF you decide to go with headers, depending on which ones, you might have to do some customizing. OFF-road pipes do make more power than non (obviously), but they do not produce all that much (a few HP), some restriciton is good for keeping TQ. Free-flow exhaust will gain HP, but may lose potential TQ, so it is up to you. If you do go with the off-road, mach150bp has some good advice.

BTW - there is nothing ignorant about you trying to learn. I personally spent the last year or so researching what everyone else has done and learned from there, but I also asked questions, just like you.

:agree:
Right on brother!!!!!!!

vpMach1
10-23-2005, 07:51 PM
hypocrytes

ponygt65
10-23-2005, 09:54 PM
hypocrytes

Please tell me why I am a hypocrIte???

3150Mach1
10-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Please tell me why I am a hypocrIte???

Just ignor him. He obviously has issues.

vpMach1
10-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Don't tell me you guys never answered someones question by saying "do a search".

vpMach1
10-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Same guy that posted this thread.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41438

When I came here after buying the Mach, I knew nothing. This was my first Mustang, even my first new car. Everything in here looked greek. So I put hours into researching. I used the search button religously on this site and many other forums. When I got stumped and couldn't find the answer, then I asked. Not this...I'm too lazy to spend time searching so I will just ask.

The hardest part was trying to sift thru all the bias opinions of products. People would give their expert advice on their product when they haven't tried others, or know all the facts. So again, doing a search can get all sides of products so you can come up with your own decision on which one to go with. So getting these new people who don't know a thing to search will only benifit them. Understand now?

Ralph Greene
10-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Is a cold air intake an enhancement or degredation to the car? Seems that the shaker IS a cold air intake, so therefore an aftermarket cold air intake would be a waste? Yes or no?

I have one (see sig), but do believe a cold air kit does very little on a near stock Mach. My opinions are also backed up by most tuners. But folk lore and advertising claims are tough to over come.

Most intake engineers think our air flow path is pretty good for near stock HP levels. Add in a K&N drop in filter to stock box, and it's even better. It certainly can provide all the air a near stock engine can process.

Most people report some HP gain when adding a cold air kit. Usually from a slight leaning effect. You can get the same effect from a decent tune, plus get some more HP from optimizing timing. So IMHO, anywhere around or under the 300 RWHP area, the real gain from a cold air kit is very small, compared to what can be done with stock box and K&N after a tune.

Having said the above, there is a point where the engine needs a better air flow. And when you get to that point, and I imagine it's beyond 300 RW, I believe a better air flow path would be useful.

So to sun up....I believe for most, the cold air kit is only worth a couple HP, compared to what you can do without one, and not many will notice that small a gain considering it takes about 10 HP to be a tenth quicker in the quarter, and you can't feel 10 HP for street use. But I consider my C&L kit as part of a group of mods all tuned together. My tuner says I would have been within a couple of HP with just a K&N filter in stock air box. He uses SCT soft ware and has tuned a lot of mach 1s. But I am under 300 RW also, with knock sensors still working 100%.

Go talk to a tuner, who does this all day long, and ask how a cold air kit can fit with your mods and a tune. Make it part of a tuned package if you add one.

As usual MHO

Ralph Greene
10-24-2005, 08:37 AM

I have one (see sig), but do believe a cold air kit does very little on a near stock Mach. My opinions are also backed up by most tuners. But folk lore and advertising claims are tough to over come.

Most intake engineers think our air flow path is pretty good for near stock HP levels. Add in a K&N drop in filter to stock box, and it's even better. It certainly can provide all the air a near stock engine can process.

Most people report some HP gain when adding a cold air kit. Usually from a slight leaning effect. You can get the same effect from a decent tune, plus get some more HP from optimizing timing. So IMHO, anywhere around or under the 300 RWHP area, the real gain from a cold air kit is very small, compared to what can be done with stock box and K&N after a tune.

Having said the above, there is a point where the engine needs a better air flow. And when you get to that point, and I imagine it's beyond 300 RW, I believe a better air flow path would be useful.

So to sun up....I believe for most, the cold air kit is only worth a couple HP, compared to what you can do without one, and not many will notice that small a gain considering it takes about 10 HP to be a tenth quicker in the quarter, and you can't feel 10 HP for street use. But I consider my C&L kit as part of a group of mods all tuned together. My tuner says I would have been within a couple of HP with just a K&N filter in stock air box. he uses the SCT soft ware and has tuned a lot of Mach 1s. But I am under 300 RW also, and knock sensors still working 100%.

Go talk to a tuner, who does this all day long, and ask how a cold air kit can fit with your mods and a tune. Make it part of a tuned package if you add one.

As usual MHO

ponygt65
10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Just ignor him. He obviously has issues.

yeah he does. It is just hard when someone calls me that (mis-spelled and all) when they don't know me at all. He has never met me, and yet I am a hypocrite........so, wouldn't that be considered hypocritical?? :smokin:

vpMach1
10-24-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah he does. It is just hard when someone calls me that (mis-spelled and all) when they don't know me at all. He has never met me, and yet I am a hypocrite........so, wouldn't that be considered hypocritical?? :smokin:

Now I have issues? Did you not read my post? You have never met me either and now I have issues?

I was merely stating that if you never told someone to do a search, your full of it.

ponygt65
10-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Now I have issues? Did you not read my post? You have never met me either and now I have issues?

I was merely stating that if you never told someone to do a search, your full of it.

First off, I said you have issues, because you are slamming people in this thread for learning/helping. You bashed him in this thread and the ones you posted the links for. THAT is why you have issues. Try being respectful. Secondly, when have I ever said use the search? Using the search button is obviously a great idea, but maybe he wants some "updated" information. Not every single memebr notes their experiences on here. Or maybe there new members that can offer new/more information.

You were not "merely stating" anything. You were down right rude - in BOTH threads.

3150Mach1
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
First off, I said you have issues, because you are slamming people in this thread for learning/helping. You bashed him in this thread and the ones you posted the links for. THAT is why you have issues. Try being respectful. Secondly, when have I ever said use the search? Using the search button is obviously a great idea, but maybe he wants some "updated" information. Not every single memebr notes their experiences on here. Or maybe there new members that can offer new/more information.

You were not "merely stating" anything. You were down right rude - in BOTH threads.

:agree:
I think you said to all.

socalmach
10-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Ralph Greene = smart.
CAI's get most of the hp gain from leaning out the A/F. For a stock Mach a drop in filter (i.e K&N) would be just fine. To get the most out of them you need the other supporting mods. Catback, intake spacer, tuner, etc...

And yes the search function is good but sometimes you just don't find what you're looking for.

vpMach1
10-25-2005, 08:39 AM
I may have been a little rude in this thread. But not the other.

Look dude, it's over. You are not understanding my point. I don't care anymore.

Respectfully,
DO A SEARCH

wigsite
10-25-2005, 09:05 AM
My theory is that it takes just as much time to tell someone to do a search as it does to just answer the question. So, I usually just answer the question.

sspp
10-25-2005, 11:24 PM
I may have been a little rude in this thread. But not the other.

Look dude, it's over. You are not understanding my point. I don't care anymore.

Respectfully,
DO A SEARCH

How about you doing a search for some compassion for someone who merely asked for input...

mtm87tx
10-30-2005, 01:38 AM
not to interupt the search argument, do yall really see that much of a difference in low end torque with the intake spacer? i have a Bassani catback and catted X-pipe and i feel like i lost a bunch of low end power. i want to get a CAI to but like everyone has stated if you cant afford to tune the car at the same time i would not recommend that next for you. try this spacer thing, for 100 bucks sure does seem like a good deal

Lonestar 7
10-30-2005, 04:30 AM
Look into buying a C&L its hard to beat there CIA and Maf upgrade I really liked mine and it was my second mod. Really helps car breath more.

3150Mach1
10-30-2005, 07:25 AM
not to interupt the search argument, do yall really see that much of a difference in low end torque with the intake spacer? i have a Bassani catback and catted X-pipe and i feel like i lost a bunch of low end power. i want to get a CAI to but like everyone has stated if you cant afford to tune the car at the same time i would not recommend that next for you. try this spacer thing, for 100 bucks sure does seem like a good deal

I think you will need to tune her with the spacer if you feel that much low end loss.

I would save up and do:
CAI, Spacer, Predator or Xcalabrator2 and Tune/Dyno all at once. $900-$1,000. Doing anything more right now with the air will probably push you over the edge in the lean catagory.

A less expensive item (Depends where you are) for you next step would be a 4.10 or 4.30 gear w/speedo adjuster. Got mine complete for about $350 but did get quotes as high as $900. This will give you some low end pep back

ponygt65
10-30-2005, 11:50 PM

You may not have lost any, but just not gained very much. The HP gains may "cloud" your buttometer. You just never know without a dyno run.

As for the spacer, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Probably the best bang for buck mod out there. And a tune is not needed. It only adds air inbetween intakes to make her run cooler, hence the gain in TQ.

3150Mach1
10-31-2005, 06:56 AM
You may not have lost any, but just not gained very much. The HP gains may "cloud" your buttometer. You just never know without a dyno run.

As for the spacer, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Probably the best bang for buck mod out there. And a tune is not needed. It only adds air inbetween intakes to make her run cooler, hence the gain in TQ.

If you really do not need a tune with the spacer then I am ordering mine today. I though I would have to wait till it was close to my next planned tune. Thats good news.

ponygt65
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
If you really do not need a tune with the spacer then I am ordering mine today. I though I would have to wait till it was close to my next planned tune. Thats good news.

Yep, get 'em. It will compliment your 4.10s very nicely.