PDA

View Full Version : Mach engine swap?...help please

machgt2
10-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey, i have a 98gt, and i have recently come in possesion of a 2003 mach1 that has been damaged, The engine and trans appear to have no noticable damage, My question is what would be involved with the swap, im assuming the engine itself would bolt right in, but i'd like to keep the igntion from the mach(coil on plug). So im thinking the hard part is going to be the computer and harness, like the sensors and other parts. Also would the trans bolt right in or is there going to be some modification needed. Oh and the interioir is still good and thats defiently being swapped, much better the the gt's, love the seats. I'm used to just workin on older cars like 73' and older so any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

01TruBluGT
10-16-2005, 03:44 PM
If you put the Mach motor into the 98 you will have to use the Mach computer which would keep the Coil on Plug. If I am not mistaken the 98 should have a return style fuel system whereas the Mach is returnless.

How much damage does the Mach have? It might be cheaper and easier to repair the Mach.

I don't think it is going to be as easy of a swap as you would like to think. Seeing as you have to keep the Mach's computer there are alot of things such as gauges, sensors, etc that will have to be addressed. Look around I have seen some write ups on it...well atleast putting a 99+ Cobra motor into an older GT.

machgt2
10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
the mach1 is considered totaled. it has roof and subframe damage.

SickBlackMach
10-16-2005, 05:26 PM
yo would be looking at swapping the engine bay harness, the guage cluster, ECM, the ignition cylinder... thats the downside to PATS...

machgt2
10-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey, i could use some more good advice if anyone else has any?

rcodemach1
10-16-2005, 11:49 PM
If you can swing the SCT ProRacer setup, you can turn off the PATS and I believe, the support for the returnless fuel system. Then you won't have to get the keys recoded and you should be able to run the '98 fuel system. You'll have to tap into the Mach fuel rail to connect to the return line on your car.

ITS BACK
10-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Before you get to involved in the swap, was the Mach rolled? The reason I ask is because if it was on its side or top and the inertia (sp?) switch did not shut off the fuel pumps to kill the motor, there could be some pretty extensive damage internally. I know its unlikely but my brothers 87 kept running when it hydro-planed of the road and into a cliff. It even hit on the switch's corner of the car. I suggest pulling the pan and valve covers before making to many plains. Sorry I have not read much on your swap that has not been already mentioned.

machgt2
10-17-2005, 12:11 AM
no, fortunetly it was not rolled, the damage on the roof happened im guessing from the body being tweeked because its a nice crease right down the middle....also, just a thought, would anyone know a real rough estimate as to how much it might take to fix it, it has front suspesion and brake damage, front frame, front winshield, air bags deployed, front fenders and both doors and roof, would probably not even be worth but just a thought.

rcodemach1
10-17-2005, 12:23 AM
It probably could be put on a frame table at a shop specializing in unibody cars. They have a list of measuring points and they use hydraulics to pull the structure back into spec. Without seeing your car, assuming the unibody can be straightened, they could then re-skin the roof. If you go this route, plan on at least $5k as a rough estimate, and you want a shop that has a solid reputation on unibody work, along with plenty of pics to prove what they can do. Oh yeah, that $5k is likely going to be eaten up just on the unibody and suspension work, B4 the paint and body work even starts.

ITS BACK
10-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Could you post a pic? If it is to bad most shops will not even give you the time of day and wish you luck. If it was hit hard enough in the front to crease the roof and doors the floorpans will need to be relaced and most likely rocker too. Don't mean to sound negative but I would just take off whatever you can use or sell and forget about repairing it.

rcodemach1
10-17-2005, 12:58 AM
"both doors and roof"

Didn't see that part, ITS BACK is probably right. Pic?

98 Mach
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I've actually done this very swap. I used my 98 computer, 96-98 Cobra fuel rails, my coil packs, etc.

Here's a link to my writeup. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30661&highlight=writeup

Ask away.

Tim

machgt2
10-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Wow, thanks. very helpfull. i was considering just using the 98 harness and just keep the coil packs, so i think im for sure just going to use that instead, seems alot less headache.