PDA

View Full Version : Siver State Classic Challenge

Nekasrof
09-29-2005, 11:54 AM
September 25, 2005 was a historic day for the Mach 1. While we were the 2nd Mach ever to run this event, (first being in '03), we were the 1st to place. We took 3rd place in the 115mph class. We averaged 115.1518mph over 90 miles for a total time of 46minutes 53.2857seconds. We were actually 3.7143seconds too early! Imagine that...racing and being EARLY on the course.

The object of SSCC is to arrive at the specific time for your speed catagory. He who gets closest to that specific time, wins.

The 115mph class consisted of 5 corvettes, 1 '05 Bently GT(a VERY nice car) and our '04 Mach 1. We lost to a '90 ZR1 and an '89 Vette. We'll get 'em next year for sure!

For those of you that aren't aware of this race, it's held on a public highway with speeds going from a minimum of 95mph to unlimited. Each car leaving 1 minute behind the next. Yes, I know, it sounds crazy, right? The speed catagory you enter will be determined by your ability to drive(regular driver's license or competition license + whether you've run the event before) and your safety equipment. For the lower catagories, you can enter with a stock vehicle. However, as you increase the speed catagory you wish to enter, the safety equipment must also be increased: 5pt harnesses, roll cage, fire system etc, etc.

The SSCC is run between Lund, NV and Hiko, NV on highway 318. Most of it is straight. However, there are some curves and a section of the highway called the Narrows. This is essentially in a canyon and is very exciting. At first glance, it is very intimidating with the first turn being an off camber turn to the right, a short straight and into a posted 50mph set of curves. We were putting 'time in the bank' a little, and hit the off camber turn at around 120mph or so....let up to around 103mph and pushed the car thru the Narrows at up to 113mph. VERY exciting and nerve wracking for that was the first time we were able to blow thru there above the speed limit.

1 note: You can't get a ticket in Nevada within 90 days of the event or you will be disqualified. This event is done in conjunction with the Nevada DOT and 318 is shut down by them between Lund and Hiko from 5am, until the event is over. And if you wish to enter, say, the 100mph class and go as fast as you wish, don't bother. There is a 'tech speed' that is set for each specific class. If you exceed that, 1 of 2 things may happen: First, you'll be disqualified and you won't get any results for your run; Second, if you are REALLY exceeding the tech speed, you may get a ticket for the speed you run OVER the posted speed limit. Big bummer of a ticket. And yes, they do have the NV state police at the course for many reasons related to safety.

This is a fun event that runs for 4 days and starts in Las Vegas. Rookies will qualify at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway with the Derek Daly racing school. From there, you caravan to Ely, NV and the butterflys in your stomach start! Parade, car show and the run.

It's a lot of fun and you get to meet some big-time car enthusiasts and see some very cool cars. Everything from a Hyundai Elantra to a 900hp 350Z and a Shelby SSC.

Oh, the event is run at an altitude of approximately 5400 feet. I could feel a power loss since I am used to running at around 170 feet above sea level.

For more info, www.sscc.us is the website address. It will take them some time to post the results, but we'll be listed!

The picture is the Mach staged and ready to go. Those pesky vettes were everywhere!!! It's all good though.

GRB60
09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Glad to hear you made it safely. It looks like all the prep work you did paid off!

Totoland Mach
09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, BIG congrat's on your placing in a sea of Vette's!!! :yeh: :yeh:

I've read about this event in Car & Driver and it sounds like a blast.

Great prep...you'll smoke 'em next year.

Totoland Mach

Warp1
09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Awesome... way to show everyone that the Mach is real competition. :yeh:

RAT
09-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Good job! :worship: Sounds like lots of fun. Any more pictures of the car show and parade? :PICS:

Your Mach is lookin good too.

H-TownMachI
09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
I used to travel that highway when I worked for the State of Nevada. Talk about one lonely desolate stretch of road. Well I guess you can say that about all of their roads. :LAUGH: I got the state jeep up to 90 on that road. :yes:

Nekasrof
09-29-2005, 08:44 PM
I have some car show pics. None of the parade cause I was in it, sorry.

The run was awesome. We'll pay more attention to the timing instrument next year.

The Mach was very competitive in the 115mph class. I do think that a transmission cooler is a must in the higher speed classes. I'll look into that for the manual transmission in the next 12 months. I noticed, on the way back home, that long runs at 110 or more really made the stick shift very hot so that is heat coming from the tranny and working it's way up. I ran most of the way thru Utah at 110-120 or so.

H-TownMach1, when I hit the Nevada border prior to the race, I had to drive the speed limit til after the race. 318 is major desolate and big time boring at 70mph. Well, all of Nevada was desolate and boring at that speed. I was NOT bored on my way home.

Thank you guys for the kind comments about the car. It was a lot of work to get it to this stage and I have more to go. Need to tear up those vettes next year!

Bill Hamilton
09-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Congrats....it had to be a blast :)

The green '69 Sportsroof Mustang looks like Miles Cook's car. He's a writer for Mustang Monthly/Mustang and Fords magazines and has run that event several times in the '69 and his '01 Bullit also. I've got a buddy who has run the event about ten times in his '95 Mark VIII and '98 Cobra convertible. He now has a Z06 'Vette and was going to put in a rollbar to run in the "higher" class.

Nekasrof
09-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Bill,

I just looked on the results paper. The '69 mustang IS Miles Cook's car. He ran in the 110mph class. That was a big class with the top 3 winners arriving at the finish line at under 1 second within thier time. Very competitive!

TJ4Cam
09-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a heck of a good time and congrats on the placement. Way to represent the Mustang legacy!! Hmmm, I wonder how much fun it would be to give my Roush a workout on that highway!? :yeh: