PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean the leather?

mach me 1
04-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Hey Everyone
I am going to clean my leather for the first time. What do you suggest for cleaning and treating the interior? PS what about wax for the exterior?

Thanks
Steve

351c.i.d
04-22-2003, 06:32 AM
Hey Steve.
I bought a starter kit from zaino, and the only thing I can say is, WOW, you won't be disappointed. It's a time consuming process with the clay bar and wax, but well worth the money and the time. There are a couple of threads here about zaino, so check them out.
As far as leather goes I bought some Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I like the results. My mach is a daily driver so I'm constantly getting in and out of my leather seats, which as we all know puts permanent wrinkles in the leather which I HATE!!!! But the lexol does a good job of keeping that to a minimum. Plus leaves a pleasant clean smell and isn't greasy at all.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Mach 1 Pilot
04-22-2003, 11:35 AM
I use Tanner's Preserve found at Wal Mart. Any feedback?

mustang-susi
04-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
Hey Steve.
I bought a starter kit from zaino, and the only thing I can say is, WOW, you won't be disappointed. It's a time consuming process with the clay bar and wax, but well worth the money and the time. There are a couple of threads here about zaino, so check them out.
As far as leather goes I bought some Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I like the results. My mach is a daily driver so I'm constantly getting in and out of my leather seats, which as we all know puts permanent wrinkles in the leather which I HATE!!!! But the lexol does a good job of keeping that to a minimum. Plus leaves a pleasant clean smell and isn't greasy at all.
Good luck and let me know how it goes. I just tried the Zaino leather cleaner in our F250 Superduty Lariat. It cleans well, and doesn't dry the leather out...leaves a good smell, also...like new leather. When I ordered Zaino products, I just ordered one of each. So far, every one I've used is excellent!:COOL: :HOPPY:

Vic229
04-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Meguairs (40 VINYL & RUBBER cleaner and conditioner) for general cleaning of interior, and Meguairs (MEDALLION PREMIUM LEATHER CARE) on the leather. Both have worked great.:HOPPY:

Chaucer
04-25-2003, 05:52 AM
If you want the best, go Meguairs.

Btw, here is a cleaning tip: Dont ever use chemicals (like armor-all) on your interior, shaker, or spoiler. When these start to heat up, the chemicals will break down your paint and vinyl and they will start to crack over time. When you clean these items, use water and if you must, a mild soap. For a cloth, I use "the Absorber". This will keep your interior, shaker, and spoiler looking nice for a long long time.

Walt
04-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
As far as leather goes I bought some Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I like the results. My mach is a daily driver so I'm constantly getting in and out of my leather seats, which as we all know puts permanent wrinkles in the leather which I HATE!!!! But the lexol does a good job of keeping that to a minimum.

I would have to "second" using Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner.

I hate the wrinkles (and worse) I find with Ford leather. I have no such problems with the leather in my Jeep (Chrysler). After nearly 6 years, the Jeep's leather looks as good as it did when I bought it.

Unit 5302
04-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Meguires Gold Class Leather Wipes. Smell nice, not like the armor all ones, and they seem to work great.

badjoey
04-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Vic229
Meguairs (MEDALLION PREMIUM LEATHER CARE) on the leather. Both have worked great:

works great for me!!

69mach03
04-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Vic229
Meguairs (40 VINYL & RUBBER cleaner and conditioner) for general cleaning of interior, and Meguairs (MEDALLION PREMIUM LEATHER CARE) on the leather. Both have worked great.:HOPPY:

I'll add to that! They are my personal choices! :THUMBSUP:

03D3
04-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Just did my seats with Lexol.
Very good results:HOPPY:

I am not sure what to use on the dash, console etc...
For now just a damp rag followed by a dry towel.

Chaucer
04-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by 03D3
Just did my seats with Lexol.
Very good results:HOPPY:

I am not sure what to use on the dash, console etc...
For now just a damp rag followed by a dry towel.

That's all you should use for your dash and console. If you use stuff like armor all, you run the chance of it cracking your dash when your car heats up.

TheOrkinMan
04-30-2003, 03:46 AM
That really sucks Chaucer, I just put that stuff all over my interior :SMASH:

Ralph Greene
04-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Where is there leather in our interirs? We have some leather trim. Is that on side of seat?

Damp rag works for me.

Walt
04-30-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
Where is there leather in our interirs? We have some leather trim. Is that on side of seat?

The "comfort weave" is leather. So is the steering wheel rim.

Ralph Greene
04-30-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Walt
The "comfort weave" is leather. So is the steering wheel rim.

You sure the "comfort weave" is leather? I bet vinyl.

Chaucer
04-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by TheOrkinMan
That really sucks Chaucer, I just put that stuff all over my interior :SMASH:

Well, putting it on one time I dont think you are going to hurt it. But repeated use of chemicals on your dash, console, spoiler, shaker, chin spoiler isnt a good idea.

sshakrr
05-28-2003, 12:42 PM
I have looked around the Milw. WI area and cant find anybody who carries the Lexol products Anybody out there know where i might find it in this area? Thanks

Shaker1
05-28-2003, 02:16 PM
My impression is that everything BUT the comfort weave is leather. Is this correct?

351c.i.d
05-28-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure thats the case. The comfort weave doesn't feel like leather, more like vinyl. I think everything but the comfort weave is leather.

Chris
05-28-2003, 08:31 PM
So only a damp coth would be recommended to wipe down the dash? What about other similiar items within the car? (doors panels, etc.)? I bought some Zaino products and thought those would be great to use vs Armour All and other closely related protectants?

Walt
05-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaker1
My impression is that everything BUT the comfort weave is leather. Is this correct?

I believe that only the "seating surfaces" are leather on the front seats. Everything else on the front seats, and all of the rear seats, are matching vinyl.

03mach69mach
05-28-2003, 09:43 PM
When this car was in development with Team Mustang, I spoke with Art Hyde on a radio show regarding it. He said that it was difficult, however, they were able to find a manufacturer that could reproduce the comfort weave in leather. I believe that it is leather.

Golions
05-29-2003, 12:20 AM
One word,

Meguairs

GiddyUp!

:THUMBSUP:

Shaker1
05-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Well, I guess if we can't tell the difference between the two materials, then they did a pretty good job. Also, if they went to a new manufacturer for the comfortweave, maybe there will not be any problems with the "flaking & cracking" that was previously mentioned.

Shaker Dan
06-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I do not like the Tanner's. In fact you can have the half bottle that I have left. Meguiar's Leather Cleaner or Wipes are the best I have used so far. I have only bought store bought products though. Anything by 3M are usually awesome also.

For the exterior if your car is not in the sun every day and has a nice garage to live in, use Meguiar's. Using their Pro line, #9, #7 and #26 gives the paint the best look in my opinion. But since it is Carnuba it does not last as long as say Zaino or others.

Good luck! Nothing like a freshly detailed car.