PDA

View Full Version : Car Show Tips and Tricks

bamaMACH
04-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, this weekend will be the first car show I have ever entered, so I need some tips from some of the more experienced guys. Here are some of the questions I have:

1. Where do judges look that the less experienced people forget to clean?

2. What is the best stuff to clean windows, and any tips on cleaning the inside of the windshield?

3. Is there a better order of cleaning (wash, clay, wash, armoral, inside first...)? Also is there anything you would do right before you leave for the show or right before it begins?

4. License plate on or off?

5. What do I need to clean the engine with to make it look good?
Someone posted throwing a bucket of soapy water on it -yes, no, good or bad?

6. What to clean the leather seats with; leather conditioner, armoral...?

7. Here in Alabama pollen is awful, do I need to worry about it or don't even try fighting it?

8. What do you guys think about Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?

I think that is all the questions I have for now, but I will post more if I come across any. Thanks for all your help. I will keep you guys posted if I bring home any hardware.

Chris :THUMBSUP:

Kevin
04-17-2003, 01:11 AM
1.) Door Jams, Trunk "Jams", Hood "Jams"...around hinges!!, Wheel Wells Clean and dressed, the entire wheel cleaned and no break dust anywhere (usually I take my wheels off to clean the entire wheel and wheel well at the same time. Basically, if a person can see it or stick there hand in it...it better be clean.
A nice undercarrage is a very big plus.

2.) I like to use Stoners Invisible glass with my Microfiber cloth, but newspaper works good too. Here is a cool trick. Ever have streaks and not know which side they were on??? Well, clean your outside with verticle strokes and your inside with horizontal. That way if you see a streak you know right away which side its on.

3.) Most experienced ppl will tell you DO THE INSIDE FIRST. Most ppl hate doing the interior and you will be less motivated after a hard days work doing the exterior. Plus your all sweety and nasty if you do the exterior first. I would wait to do your tires and trim AFTER you get there so you won't potentially have guck slinging everywhere, but make sure you leave your self enough time to let it dry and to clean up any mess you made. I love Stoners More Time Less Shine for my tires and wheel wells.

4.) I don't think it matters. I personally think a car looks naked without one. But do clean and wax behind it!!!

5.) Since you car is new (it is right?) it shouldn't be too dirty in the engine. You should be able to take some water and a brush or something and get off all the light dust you may have. Make sure you engine is warm, but not hot!!! Don't let the water dry on its own or it will leave spots. Make sure you cover up electrical areas with something. Dress all the plastic and hose stuff with something like Armorall, by the way Armorall is crap and I wouldn't use it for much. I use 303 Protectant for that duty and my interior. Also, if you want to go all out, use some Meguiers Engine Kote. It leaves a shell like coating on your engine that is supposed to last a very long time and looks great. WARNING!!! THIS STUFF WILL STRIP YOUR WAX RIGHT OFF!!!!!!!

6)Hopefully someone else will chime in on the leather part cause I've never been good a leather knowledge.

7.) Pine Pollen SUCKS!!!! I use a California Car Duster to go over my car right before a show. WARNING!!! YOUR CAR MUST ME VERY VERY CLEAN OR THE DUSTER CAN SCRATCH!!! but if its just light dust it works great!!!

8.) Meguiars line is great. I've never used that liquid wax before though. Does your car have swirls??? Water spots?? or anything else on the paint???? If so you will need to address those problems first.

Hope this helps and happy detailing!!!!!
:THUMBSUP:

ChuckB
04-17-2003, 08:30 AM
#6...After trying ALL kinds of things I settled on Tanners Preserve for the leather. They make a cleaner and a protective cream. If the car is new you won't need much cleaner and the cream goes a long ways. I use it about once a month. It depends on the amount of use the seats get. Good luck!:THUMBSUP:

martysmach
04-20-2003, 06:47 AM
How bad will the California Duster Scratch your car. I have a black mach so every little bit of dust shows. I use it every day to clean the dust off, unless the car is dirty, but I am concerned now that I might scratch my car.

Kevin
04-20-2003, 01:36 PM
It won't scratch if its just dust. Just dust.....