PDA

View Full Version : One California Plate??

David Schwarz
04-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Finally received my plates today, or should I say plate. Every car I've had in California has been issued two plates - but today I only received the one plate. Anyone else here in CA only receive one plate? Mind you I don't have a problem with this, but my dealer already drilled holes and installed the front plate holder :mad:

So if indeed the MACH 1's new life in CA will be single plate, anyone have any good suggestions on what to do to either repair or utilize the orphan plate holder (and holes) in the front bumper?

badjoey
04-05-2003, 10:47 AM
buy a new bumper cover:D

1mach03
04-06-2003, 03:38 AM
When I recieved mine I thought I only got one , until I realized they were stuck together:confused: . wouldnt they owe you another one since you paid for two? I would get the other one incase someone pulls you over for just having the one plate. So far I havent put the front one on my car but I do carry it in the car just incase.:D april zavela the vettelady.

David Schwarz
04-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi April,

I spent some time on the DMV website. They state that you can receive either one or two plates - if you get one, then you're to install it on the back of the vehicle (sure glad they told me that :LAUGH: ). Since I'm waiting for my personalized plates, I'm not going to worry about the missing plate. I found some caps to install over the screws; they're black and almost look like they belong. Now I'm hoping they only send me one personal plate so that I can keep the front like it is.

1mach03
04-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi david this is april zavela the vettelady, I guess you can tell them you only recieved 1 plate again if anyone ask you about it. How bout a neat cover plate on the front the says mach 1 that would be cool. On my vette I have both plates and I often take off the front one and put the corvette plate logo on. It looks really cool. Too bad all us mach 1 owners cant have one on the front that say mach1registry.:D :D . april zavela the vettelady.

robm
04-11-2003, 01:27 AM
I think you're going to feel pretty silly. As April stated above there are probably two plates stuck together. Uninstall the plate and check it out. This has happened to a number of people I know of here in California. I'm one of them. :LAUGH:

Rob

David Schwarz
04-11-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm certain there is only one plate. I looked very closely, and I was very surprised that there was only the one plate. Like I said, the personalized plate(s) should come through very soon, so I'm not worried about how many I have right now.

1mach03
04-11-2003, 03:37 PM
There making the plates so thin and cheap now it was hard for me too notice I had the two plates together. Lets see thinner and not the sturdy old plates like we used to have. Next thing you know they will start using recycled plastic.:eek: april zavela the vettelady.

central ca mach
04-15-2003, 03:02 PM
David,

I also live in Cali and have suffered the wrath of the dealership drilling the d**n holes in my front bumper. I am also waiting for my vanity plates (DJ MACH1) but I have thought about doing something different in the front. Can you post a pic of the black caps you talk about or post a link or maybe more info about the caps for the holes in the front bumper? Much appreciated.

Dan
Central Cali Mach

Black42R
04-15-2003, 11:45 PM
My dealership didn't drill my bumper but when I recieved my lisence plates I pondered whether or not to keep the front free of a plate. But given my occupational background I choose instead to have the dealership put on a 99+ Cobra LP bracket on there. It looks good so I have no complaints. :THUMBSUP:

David Schwarz
04-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by central ca mach
David,

Can you post a pic of the black caps you talk about or post a link or maybe more info about the caps for the holes in the front bumper? Much appreciated.

Dan
Central Cali Mach

Dan - I'm sorry, I need to remember to stop by here more often. I'll post pictures and details tomorrow.

central ca mach
04-17-2003, 04:34 AM
Thanks Dave,

:THUMBSUP:

David Schwarz
04-19-2003, 12:33 PM
It's been a long week. I'll get pictures tomorrow and post them - I promise.

David Schwarz
04-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi Dan,

Here is a collection of pictures that I think will help. As you may, or may not, be able to see, the covers appear to manufactured by Cruiser Accessories. They give a web address of www.cruiseracc.com. The part number is 82050. PM me if you need any further details.

central ca mach
04-22-2003, 03:49 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the pics.....your right the caps look good. Now I'm back to thinking maybe I should leave the front plate off........:confused:

Dan

David Schwarz
04-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi Dan,

I too like the look sans front plate. I figure my personalized plates are due pretty soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they only provide me with one again. It will be hard to go back to two; but I suppose I could say they only gave me one...hmmm

1mach03
04-22-2003, 03:01 PM
David this is april zavela the vettelady, remember you only got 1 plate. Keep saying this over and over. Hey you coulda taken them out of the package and opps the other one was accidently left in the package. Oh well I will just have to put the one on the back and put those cool caps on the front.:D .april zavela the vettelady. p.s im changing my plates to GO MACH1. Wonder how they will arrive.

David Schwarz
05-08-2003, 12:03 AM
So this weekend I'm washing my car, and I pull on the back plate to release the trapped water. What should I find, but a second plate starting to separate from the first plate :rolleyes: Needless to say, I owe a couple of people (April and Robm) an apology - I'm sorry for doubting you. For the time being, I'm leaving it as is. When I get my new plates, I'll worry about what to do next.

My this crow tastes mighty good....and yes, I do feel rather silly now :LAUGH:

04Retro
05-24-2003, 05:21 AM
word to the wise in California...............Calif law requires 2 plates--front and rear. For years most cops here have been very cool and let most 'cool' cars slide-especially if there isn't a place for the plate really on the front bumper--vettes, saleens, cars with nice front end kits etc.... That is quickly coming to an end--be careful....Calif is in a big time budget crunch that will be worse when the next budget passes this summer (supposed to be Juoly 1 and that ain't gonna happen) and local cities really get cut ...they will be looking for $$ and a simple fix it plate tickts run around $25+...you will be seeing more tickets being handed out as a local 'money maker'...

robm
05-24-2003, 06:33 AM
I have my front plate on, but have been reconsidering it. The fix-it ticket sounds a lot cheaper that a photo redlight or speeding ticket.;)

Rob

L.B.
05-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by robm
I have my front plate on, but have been reconsidering it. The fix-it ticket sounds a lot cheaper that a photo redlight or speeding ticket.;)

Rob
Nice try...the cameras take photos from the front and back, and legislation is pending that will hold the registered owner of the car responsible for the violation...due to the high number of drivers who attempt to hide their faces from the "driver camera" while running the red light...

Originally posted by 03RCode
word to the wise in California...............Calif law requires 2 plates--front and rear. For years most cops here have been very cool and let most 'cool' cars slide-especially if there isn't a place for the plate really on the front bumper--vettes, saleens, cars with nice front end kits etc.... That is quickly coming to an end--be careful....Calif is in a big time budget crunch that will be worse when the next budget passes this summer (supposed to be Juoly 1 and that ain't gonna happen) and local cities really get cut ...they will be looking for $$ and a simple fix it plate tickts run around $25+...you will be seeing more tickets being handed out as a local 'money maker'...
David...your post is nothing short of insulting to police officers...and embarrassing to the rest of us...

socalmach1
05-24-2003, 08:07 AM
But I hate to say it but it's true!:(

305PNYS
05-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 03RCode

First, Thanks L.B. I guess some people don't realize that Police officers like nice fast cars also. I believe, from reading the many posts that we have on the whole site, that there are at least 2 other cars here that belong to law enforcement family's other than mine. Many officers that I know don't go around letting people know they are because they don't want to be inundated with stupid questions and/or advice. They like to live a normal life while off duty.

Ok, here's the skinny on the tickets straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Hubby says that the revenue generated from tickets does NOT go to the city. It goes to the state, mainly DMV. Only commercial tickets ( i.e. big trucks) goes to the city for wear and tear on the roads.

As far as the front plates...those are required here because it aids in finding stolen cars or spotting cars in a pursuit situation. He's not real crazy about the front plate either, but he doesn't make the laws. (guess if they're looking for a car without a front plate, would be pretty easy :LAUGH: )

robm
05-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by L.B.
Nice try...the cameras take photos from the front and back, and legislation is pending that will hold the registered owner of the car responsible for the violation...due to the high number of drivers who attempt to hide their faces from the "driver camera" while running the red light...

Would the registered owner get a moving violation? It just doesn't seem right to automatically hold the owner responsible for the violation. It is possible, however unlikely that you may not be in control of the vehicle at the time of the violation. It could be valet parked, tested by a mechanic, tested by a potential buyer, borrowed by a family member, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe people should go around speeding and running redlights. On the other hand, the ends don't justify the means.

L.B.
05-24-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by robm
Would the registered owner get a moving violation? It just doesn't seem right to automatically hold the owner responsible for the violation. It is possible, however unlikely that you may not be in control of the vehicle at the time of the violation. It could be valet parked, tested by a mechanic, tested by a potential buyer, borrowed by a family member, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe people should go around speeding and running redlights. On the other hand, the ends don't justify the means.

In order for localities to use the cameras for law enforcement purposes, laws must authorize enforcement agencies to cite red light violators by mail. The legislation also must make the vehicle owner responsible for the ticket, establishing a presumption that the registered owner is the vehicle driver at the time of the offense.

Red light cameras are currently permitted in 15 states -- Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, and Washington -- and the District of Columbia.

Violations photographed by red light cameras are most commonly treated in one of two ways -- as traffic violations or as the equivalent of parking tickets, depending on state law. If, as in New York, and as proposed by pending legislation in California, red light camera violations are treated like parking citations, the law can make registered vehicle owners responsible without regard to who was driving at the time of the offense.

Virginia makes red light camera violations a civil offense like New York, but unlike New York the state allows registered owners to avoid citations by filing affidavits swearing they weren't driving when the violations occurred.

305PNYS
05-25-2003, 12:15 AM
In regards to these cameras at stop lights. You really aren't going to find a whole lot of these around. It would cost any city a fortune to install these. I'm a video, data, voice electrician. These are installed mainly in the light signal box. The things that look like cameras on the horizontal poles are traffic detectors that make the light trip. Some cities in the bay area have cameras, but not very many, usually only in "trouble" intersections. The exception to that would be Santa Rosa. They installed them everywhere and have signs posted. (you almost never see a cop there:LAUGH: ) All of the bridges have them though, for people who don't pay their toll.
You know those plastic license plate covers? Your plate can't be photographed with those, but you can get a ticket for having one. They do come in clear though.
I would imagine the only way you are going to get ticketed for stuff like this is if you get pulled over for something else and he/she wants to write you up for anything he/she can find. That would indicate that you are playing stupid very badly or being disrespectful. That advice isn't coming from Hubby, just my own experience