PDA

View Full Version : Drag Radials

5OhNA4.6
07-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Alright, now that I finally got some Nitto 555R's out back, it's time for a road trip to Tulsa! I figure that stickier tires on a better track ought to shave a half second or so off of my crappy ET. (no more 2.2 60' times) Not to mention it would be nice to get together with other Machs in Tulsa.

-Kyle

shake this
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Don't forget to put some heat in the Nittos. Seems the Nittos like a longer burnout then most dr's.

gfong
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Do not be afraid to heat them up and also run 15 to 17 psi in them cold at the track. For me and only me I have found that when I get to the track I lower the tires right to 15 psi. Within and of course weather dictates this, a half an hour the tires have dropped a pound. I usually am at the track a good hour before I race for cool down and I just like being there.:)
I check them again and they are down to 15 psi and away I go. Best 60 ft with a 4.10 gear is 1.769 on a 12.976 @ 104 Notice the mph is lower than most and I think it is due to the lower psi I run in the Nittos.

Average 60fts are anywhere from 1.78 to 1.83's The odd 1.9 but that is blowing the tires off er.
Once you start the burn out let them cook for about 5 to 7 seconds once you see smoke.
You will have to adjust to whatever your track dictates and weather but I find at 15 psi and 5 to 7 seconds with smoke works for me.

I have had these on for well over 200 passes and about 8000 miles daily driven. They are now almost bald, they have two lines each left in them and I am wearing down the wear indicaters now. The 1.769 60 ft was done on July 2nd 2005. These tires take a beating and still can net some above average 60ft times. I have new ones on order as I write this.

The Nittos will not be as sticky as bfg's or MickeyTees but they will outlast them by 8 times over and be respectable at the strip. A buddy with a 04 Cobra has 42 passes on his Mickeys and down to the wear bars already. I use 275/40/17's and have 28 spline Moser axles. Good luck.

5OhNA4.6
07-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the input. My trap speeds have been in the 103-105 range so I know there is alot of potential there. The 60' times and very poor track prep have been my downfall. My Mach isn't a daily driver, so tread life isn't as much of a concern. Again, thanks for helping to take the guess work out of the tire pressure issue.

OKMach1
07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
When you get ready to go to Tulsa, give me a shout Kyle. Maybe Maggie will have all of the little kinks worked out and I'll deem her broken in enough to take her down the strip. Right now I'm fighting all the little gremlins that come with swapping out the engine and transmission and installing a supercharger...but she sure does sound nice with the cams and the D-1SC :yes: .

Kevin

03BlkMachOne
07-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Let me know when you plan to be here and I will try to join you at the track. Not to run, just to be your pit crew. :yeh:

5OhNA4.6
07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
When you get ready to go to Tulsa, give me a shout Kyle. Maybe Maggie will have all of the little kinks worked out and I'll deem her broken in enough to take her down the strip. Right now I'm fighting all the little gremlins that come with swapping out the engine and transmission and installing a supercharger...but she sure does sound nice with the cams and the D-1SC :yes: .

Kevin

Welcome Home! I can't wait to see that bad mother in action!! Your car came up in conversation today when I was having the tires mounted. I got them at RM Tires; and Ralph mentioned that he had done control arms and bushings on a black Mach1 that had all kinds of stuff done to it. He took pretty good care of me too. I paid $150 a piece for the tires, mount and balance, which was $32 less per tire than the first place I went.

Mustangdude
07-22-2005, 12:29 AM
I'd like to run up to Tulsa and give it a try. Anything has got to be better than the ice rink they call TV. I can't make it this weekend but hopefully sometime soon.

OKMach1
07-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Welcome Home! I can't wait to see that bad mother in action!! Your car came up in conversation today when I was having the tires mounted. I got them at RM Tires; and Ralph mentioned that he had done control arms and bushings on a black Mach1 that had all kinds of stuff done to it. He took pretty good care of me too. I paid $150 a piece for the tires, mount and balance, which was $32 less per tire than the first place I went.

I was just getting started when Ralph worked on it :) . He and his guys did an excellent job putting on the control arms, especially the adjustable uppers. When I took the car in to have the front end realigned after putting the bumpsteer kit on, they checked the rear-end alignment too and commented on how it was better than most came from the factory. Couldn't beat his price either.

I just had to have the rear-end realigned this week because the shop screwed it up when they installed my battle boxes and welded my axle tubes. Now I've got to get some transmission issues resolved. I'm having high tranny temps with the Lentech Strip Terminator transmission and their high stall, non-lockup torque converter. I'm looking at going to bigger lines and a bigger tranny cooler. Hopefully that will keep the temperatures in the desired range.

Kevin

10mmPhil
07-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm in for a dragstrip trip to tulsa.......

tulsa raceway park schedule (http://www.tulsaracewaypark.com/schedule.htm)

Are you planing a fri. nite TnT (7-11pm)
or a sat. nite Midnite drag (11pm-3am)

Btw, Happy Bday today to GetErDone.

03BlkMachOne
07-22-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm in for a dragstrip trip to tulsa.......

tulsa raceway park schedule (http://www.tulsaracewaypark.com/schedule.htm)

Are you planing a fri. nite TnT (7-11pm)
or a sat. nite Midnite drag (11pm-3am)

Btw, Happy Bday today to GetErDone.

Yes, HB.

Sat nite midnights used to be just a grudge race time thing with no times displayed or time slips. Friday TNT has times and time slips for sure. Might send them an email and ask them.

H-TownMachI
07-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Don't forget the 6800 RPM launch...and a broom and dustpan

White2003Mach1
07-23-2005, 01:47 AM
yeh happy b-day geterdone..............

soonerjoe
07-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Let me know when you are heading up there kyle...I may join in.

5OhNA4.6
07-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Let me know when you are heading up there kyle...I may join in.

Will do. I will try to iron something out here within the next week or two, and give everyone time to put it on their schedules.

Ya know I still haven't even driven my car since having the DR's put on last week; and even then I didn't really get on it to test them out. I need a day off! My daily driver goes into the shop first thing tommorow. Depending on how long it's there, I may end up having to drive the Mach.

10mmPhil
08-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Will do. I will try to iron something out here within the next week or two, and give everyone time to put it on their schedules.

Ya know I still haven't even driven my car since having the DR's put on last week; and even then I didn't really get on it to test them out. I need a day off! My daily driver goes into the shop first thing tommorow. Depending on how long it's there, I may end up having to drive the Mach.

Any updates on the Tulsa Dragracing trip????

5OhNA4.6
08-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Alright...Let's try for Sept 23rd. I know this is over a month away, but it should give everyone ample time to schedule it. No one should have drill that weekend. Also, hopefully by then the weather will have cooled off.

I may try to squeeze in a TVR trip before then. It depends on my hectic schedule, as well as the instalatino of some parts that are currently being shipped. :)

OKMach1
08-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Sept. 23 would work for me as I am supposed to get back to the States on Sept. 8. Hopefully I'll have my transmission issues resolved by then and Maggie can make a pass or two.

Kevin

10mmPhil
08-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Alright...Let's try for Sept 23rd. I know this is over a month away, but it should give everyone ample time to schedule it. No one should have drill that weekend. Also, hopefully by then the weather will have cooled off.

I may try to squeeze in a TVR trip before then. It depends on my hectic schedule, as well as the instalatino of some parts that are currently being shipped. :)

Thanks for the update...........I may have some DR's by then. :yeh:

03BlkMachOne
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Just let us know for sure. I will not run, but will try to be there for moral support and see how your cars run with the mods. Anyone going to be running slicks?

Mister L
08-13-2005, 12:41 PM

You're right Kyle, NO DRILL, but have to be in Omaha the 21st to the 25th for a type club convention. You guys have fun and I will catch you on another drag racing day! New clutch, flywheel, shift fork and pivot ball stud installed. And lots of thread lock on the pivot ball stud. Just for anyone's info, my pivot ball stud (what the shift fork pivots on) unthreaded itself inside the bellhousing, forcing the shift fork to make permanent contact against the pressure plate housing. Rex Schueler helped me find it. I think this was from the dealer tranny TSB work. Needless to say, all new stuff in it now. I bought a Centerforce setup but the wrong one was sent so I went back with the factory clutch again. And a late Happy Birthday to GetErDone!

Okla.Mach1 03
08-14-2005, 08:54 AM
As always I will mark the calendar. Sounds like alot of fun. Might have to see what mine will do. I dont have any track times. Keep me posted.
Mike

soonerkid
08-15-2005, 01:58 AM
ok i just got a mach 1 a few weeks ago, and its black, and i want to take off the decals because i have seen some pictures of black ones without the stickers and it looks good, my 03 has 29k miles on it, would the color under the stickers be really diffrent once i take them off?? write to me at ou362bbcamp@aol.com

5OhNA4.6
08-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Soonerkid, welcome to the Registry!

I think you'll probably be ok removing your decals. One of the local guys here has the silver stripes on his black Mach and it looks pretty sharp.

OKMach1
08-15-2005, 04:43 AM
ok i just got a mach 1 a few weeks ago, and its black, and i want to take off the decals because i have seen some pictures of black ones without the stickers and it looks good, my 03 has 29k miles on it, would the color under the stickers be really diffrent once i take them off?? write to me at ou362bbcamp@aol.com

I removed my black stripes to put on silver ones and there was no difference in the paint. This was one of the first things I did after buying my Mach (black stripes on a black car, huh?) so there had really been no time for sun, oxidation, etc. to make any difference but I think you'd still be OK to remove the stripes now.

Kevin

soonerkid
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Alright, thank you, mine has the white ones, and the former owner didn't wash very often i dont think bc the white is dirty, so i want to take it off.

White2003Mach1
08-15-2005, 07:25 PM
marty now has burple stripes on his.................... :yeh:

looks good marty

03BlkMachOne
08-16-2005, 06:09 PM
marty now has burple stripes on his.................... :yeh:

looks good marty

Burple? :what: I gotta see that. When you coming back to Tulsa Marty?

Mister L
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
The Black stripes are gone! I did something different when my AFS Chrome/Black wheels started peeling. With the motor out and valve covers, swaybars, pulleys and such being powdercoated I decided to change the color of my wheels. All are now "House of Kolor~Burple" Burple is a cross/mix between Blue and Purple, thus the name "Burple" Needless to say, it's very different but it's rained ever since the change and I have not had the opportunity to have it out in the sun. Its overcast and gray here but here are some photos just taken.

Not sure when I will be in Tulsa again. Soon I hope.

o4yellomach
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
im up for a trip to Tulsa. Oh yea i will be on slicks

10mmPhil
08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
HHappy BirthDay, Travis.

5OhNA4.6
08-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Hopefully by tommorow I will have my aluminum DS installed. Rex, any progress on the welder? I have some subframes ready to go in also.

Travis, if you're making 13.2 passes on the Nitto 555's; I'm sure you'll have no problems gettin into the 12's on slicks!

Marty, the new decals definitely make the wheels more noticable, completes the look. :yeh:

Mustangdude
08-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry Kyle, no can do for me on the 23rd. Will be in Kansas at a car show/burnout contest/cruise. Have fun and I will catch the next one. I have a whole bucket of parts to get installed prior to then. :santa:

OKMach1
08-17-2005, 04:38 AM
If someone is up for something on the weekend of September 16-18, here are my plans (assuming Maggie is up to it!!!):

Green Country Classic Mustangs are having their annual show at United Ford on Memorial in Tulsa on September 16 and 17. If everything works out, I hope to have Maggie and possibly the '69 Mach in the show. Since I'm a member of GCCM, I feel obligated to support the show and will attend rain or shine.

Oklahoma Deadhorse Mustangs (okdhm.com) is participating in a car show for charity in Norman on September 18 at a local bowling alley there. It will be a chance to get together with other Mustang owners and fans as well as throw a few gutter balls (number of gutter balls directly proportional to quantity of beer consumed in my case). If the weather is decent, I plan on making it as well.

Kevin

o4yellomach
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
12 s should be right around the corner. Kyle if your looking for a welder i work with a guy that has been welding for 30 plus years and is a genius. He did my brothers roll cage, a 12 point. Give me a call if you want to get with him. 473-5015 Thanks phil

5OhNA4.6
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
D/S and subframes are in! I'm gettin anxious. I think I may try to get a few passes in at Thunder Valley on the 26th. I have to be at work by 10pm, I just hope things move a bit faster than they did the last time I went. Once I make up my mind, I will make a new thread; or someone else can if they get around to it before me.

Btw: Marty you were right about the subframes. What a difference!! The car feels a whole lot better, even under normal driving conditions. Very worthwhile.