PDA

View Full Version : Sequential Turning Signals

17368_Mach1
03-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Has anyone done this mod? It works like the original Cougar "blink, blink, blink" setup. Saw a new GT last week getting off U.S. 30 west of Lancaster, PA and the mod really looked retro. I know someone had this mod out a couple of years ago for the Impala SS so I'm sure similar systems are around. TIA.

'96 Impala SS (keeper!)
'92 LX Lim. Ed. Convertible 5-speed (For Sale)
'03 DSG comin'...

Bullitt2371
03-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I installed sequential turn signals just a few days after I took delivery. The whole setup, which I removed from 2001 Bullitt before I purchased my Mach, consists of a small electronic module and new bulb socket for each tailight, and new turn signal flasher unit. These setups cost anywhere between $60 (like mine) and $200. The more expensive setups are basically plug-in. Mine came with wiring instructions, and involved cutting and splicing the rear light assembly harnesses. I used 3M male and female push-on connectors for the entire install. These connectors made it easy to quickly remove the setup from my Bullitt and return it to its stock configuration. Sequential turn signals are a nice addition to any Mustang!:THUMBSUP:

1mach03
03-24-2003, 12:27 AM
I too would like to get the sequential turn signals as well. Is it true that the back brake lights go on slower when these are put on. I was informed of this by someone at the ford dealership. I hope this is not so. Any input would be appreaciated. Thank you . april zavela the vettelady.

Bullitt2371
03-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 1mach03
I too would like to get the sequential turn signals as well. Is it true that the back brake lights go on slower when these are put on. I was informed of this by someone at the ford dealership. I hope this is not so. Any input would be appreaciated. Thank you . april zavela the vettelady.

April, With one exception, the brake lights are activated instantly, the same as the factory setup. The exception is rather than two brake light bulbs coming on and staying on, on each side, the innermost bulb on each side come on first (without delay). Then the middle and outer bulbs come on sequentially, until all three brake lights bulbs on each side are lit. The result is brighter, because in the end, a total of six brake light bulbs (not including the center lights) are illuminated, not just four.

03mach1
03-24-2003, 07:29 AM
SEE THIS THREAD!!!

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1703&highlight=STS

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

has them for around $80

tell them you saw them on here.

1mach03
03-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi steve this is april the vettelady, thanks for the info. I am going to put these on my mach 1 then. They look really cool. :D april zavela the vettelady.

69mach03
03-25-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 03mach1
SEE THIS THREAD!!!

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1703&highlight=STS

has them for around $80

tell them you saw them on here.

Fun installation process! :D

They look good!!! I wish I could slow down the sequence, but it does a little bit extra to the car, making it stand out even MORE! :THUMBSUP:

Walt
03-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullitt2371
The exception is rather than two brake light bulbs coming on and staying on, on each side, the innermost bulb on each side come on first (without delay). Then the middle and outer bulbs come on sequentially, until all three brake lights bulbs on each side are lit.

Ah, you mean for braking, you get the full 1-2-3 sequence, like you get for a turn signal, but it happens on both sides simultaneously, and once a full 1-2-3 sequence is complete, all the lights stay "on" (there isn't another 1-2-3 sequence) until you let go of the brake.

Do the people behind you always understand that this simultaneous 1-2-3 sequence means you just hit the brakes, and that you hit the brakes on the "1" count and not on the final "3" count?

Bullitt2371
03-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Walt
Ah, you mean for braking, you get the full 1-2-3 sequence, like you get for a turn signal, but it happens on both sides simultaneously, and once a full 1-2-3 sequence is complete, all the lights stay "on" (there isn't another 1-2-3 sequence) until you let go of the brake.

Do the people behind you always understand that this simultaneous 1-2-3 sequence means you just hit the brakes, and that you hit the brakes on the "1" count and not on the final "3" count?

Walt, Your understanding is correct. Keep in mind that the middle brake light/bulbs and the innermost bulbs on the left and right side all light up the moment you touch the brake pedal. To the people behind you, there's no mistaking that you are braking.

webeproducts
03-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bullitt2371
Walt, Your understanding is correct. Keep in mind that the middle brake light/bulbs and the innermost bulbs on the left and right side all light up the moment you touch the brake pedal. To the people behind you, there's no mistaking that you are braking.

Hello,

My name is Lawrence, and I run the WebElectric Products site. I was watching this thread, and I thought I would comment about the question of the brake light operation.

As stated above, when you apply the brakes, the inside lamp on each side of the car comes on as soon as you press the pedal. There is no delay. Then, after a sequence delay, the middle lamps come on, then after another delay, the outer lamps come on. All 6 lamps will stay on until you release the brake pedal.

Also as stated above, the people behind you definitely know that you are stopping.

There is an option with my sequencers that is not available on any other units on the market. You can wire the modules so that the brake lights DO NOT sequence. In other words, when you apply the brakes, all 6 lamps come on the instant you press the pedal. But' the turn signals still sequence when you have them on.

If you have a signal on and apply the brakes, the side of the car that's signalling will continue to sequence at each flasher click, but the other side brake light comes on (all 3 lamps) without sequencing. This is like the original Cougar setup.

In order to do this, you will need a length of paired wire (similar to speaker wire) that you run from the modules to the dash. I don't supply this wire in the Mustang kit because 99.99% of my Mustang customers don't do this. However, if you want this option, let me know if/when you order, and I'll send you this wire. For those of you who would like to set up the modules they already have, just get some decent speaker wire, or other #18 wire and follow the instructions on the web site, under Online Instructions... STS-1 Sequential Turn Signals...

If you have any more questions about the brake light operation, or any other facet of the kit, just ask.

-L

Walt
03-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by webeproducts
There is an option with my sequencers that is not available on any other units on the market. You can wire the modules so that the brake lights DO NOT sequence. In other words, when you apply the brakes, all 6 lamps come on the instant you press the pedal. But' the turn signals still sequence when you have them on.

That is good to know.

Maybe I am just paranoid, but if the unusual sequencing of the lights upon braking confuses the person behind your Mustang, even for just a brief second, that is all it takes. WHAMM The amount of trunk space you had, will be greatly reduced.

1BADMACH1
04-06-2003, 03:57 AM
Maybe I am just paranoid, but if the unusual sequencing of the lights upon braking confuses the person behind your Mustang, even for just a brief second, that is all it takes. WHAMM The amount of trunk space you had, will be greatly reduced. Keep in mine you still have your third break light that comes on. If people don't notice that they don't need to be on the road anyway. I had a women rear end me last week doing $2,579.00 wourth of damage . Just thankfull I wasn't in the mach 1 and in my beater. Anyway all 6 lamps were working on my car at the time. The problem wasn't whether she saw my tail lights but rather the cell phone attached to her ear. :SMASH:

Walt
04-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by 1BADMACH1
Keep in mine you still have your third break light that comes on. If people don't notice that they don't need to be on the road anyway. I had a women rear end me last week doing $2,579.00 wourth of damage . Just thankfull I wasn't in the mach 1 and in my beater. Anyway all 6 lamps were working on my car at the time. The problem wasn't whether she saw my tail lights but rather the cell phone attached to her ear.

Oh, I am sure that they would notice, but again the question will they understand the strange flashing of most of the tail lights as meaning "brakes", without having to give it some extra thought.

You do bring up another interesting aspect of this. I wonder what a court would rule if the person who rear ends someone, brings up the fact that car in front had intentionally modified their brake lights to work in a strange and unusual way. I bet it could easily be ruled to be a contributing factor.

socalmach1
04-06-2003, 09:34 PM
You are thinking this out to much, Don't you have something else to worry about like maybe people dying in the war. I just purchased the kit for the blinkers and you actually get two extra lighta to warn people that you are stopping! (the two inner lights)
please!!!!they are just a novelty item, you don't have to buy them:SMASH:

socalmach1
04-22-2003, 02:56 PM
installed lights, I really like them!!:confused:

socalmach1
04-23-2003, 08:35 AM
:cool:

Walt
04-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by socalmach1
installed lights, I really like them!!:confused:

OK, I have to ask. How can one tell you installed sequential turn signals from that pic?

socalmach1
05-01-2003, 01:20 PM
They just happen to be in the non-light sequence when I took this pic:rolleyes:

1mach03
05-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Gee the lights blinked so fast I didnt see them. just kidding socalmach1. april zavela the vettelady.:eek: