PDA

View Full Version : More Mach's being built?

MidLifeC
09-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Again, as every one is touchy lately, (please don't shoot the messenger), here is some new info on the Mach, right from Ford's web site:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13067

FORD TO OFFER UNIQUE LINE UP OF HIGH-PERFORMANCE VEHICLES IN PUERTO RICO

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico, September 13, 2002

------------Snip--------------------------

Ford also announced the introduction of another one of a kind, high-performance vehicle: the 2003 Mustang Mach 1 special edition. Hitting island shores this November, the 2003 Mach 1 promises to stir up local driving enthusiasts who still revel on the original 1969 model. Back then, the Mustang Mach 1 helped define the true American muscle car and was named "the quickest four-person production car" ever tested by Car Life Magazine. In 2003, 38 years after the original Mustang was introduced, it promises to deliver more than 300 horsepower from its modular 4.6-liter, 4 valve DOHC V-8 engine.

"This is the type of car you want to collect. Getting behind its wheel is a truly unique experience – a powerful blast from the past," added Ortiz.

Ford will build approximately 6,500 Mustang Mach 1 special editions, each with a unique serialization to ensure exclusivity and collectibility.

So, are they building more, or diverting some production to Puerto Rico?

Mustang Matt
09-15-2002, 07:37 PM
the link doesn't work

Mustang Matt
09-15-2002, 07:41 PM
I don't think this changes anything about the current production.
still 6,500 total

MidLifeC
09-15-2002, 07:48 PM
I fixed the link.

I'm posting some information from Ford's web site. I can think of two interpretations: (1) Ford is producing more Mach's for export, (2) Some of the 6500 are being diverted to Puerto Rico.

Note that the article says approximately 6500 with unique serialization.

Also 'it's the type of car you want to collect'.

TRMach1
09-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't see anything that implied more cars were being built. Just that they were going to be made available to that market.

MidLifeC
09-15-2002, 07:54 PM
If the Mach's are being exported without an increase in production, that mean's they will be even more rare in the continental US......

Anyone have an idea on how many will be built as 'demonstrators' for the press and shows? Will that number subtract from the 6500?

03elanor
09-15-2002, 08:17 PM
I would have to agree. Ford stating that there will still be approxametly 6500 being built ( which means if anything there will be less than 6500 produced). And although the island has a population of 3.6 million and a great mustang climate I don't see them ordering too many. But MidlifeC is correct it just means our cars in the US will be more of a rarity.:THUMBSUP:

StangRay
09-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Read a little more carefully. Ford says that they will be "hitting the island shores in NOVEMBER!" Guess where that leaves peoples' orders in the USA? Stalled. Thats right, if they have to ship a load of Machs there, then they will have to be built sometime in OCTOBER! It looks like dealer stock in Puerto Rico is more important then existing orders in the USA. Didn't somebody have info that said that Ford would build existing orders first and dealer stock second? Was that credible information or just hear-say?

What a load of crap to do to us. I don't think they will make more than 6,500 Machs, but it sure looks like they are going to be putting us on hold. ****! I sure hope they don't ship many.

I will sure be glad when this order thing is finally over. It is total nuts! If I would have realized that this whole process was going to be so stupid, I certainly would have bought a different car. Don't get me wrong, I really I like the Mach 1, but there are tons of cars to choose from. I will continue with my order because I have put my time and money in and I will see it through the end. Even if it kills me. But, the next time I buy a car, it will be from a dealer's lot. I will drive it, research the existing information on it, and then buy it. Quickly. I will not let an automotive company get into my head again. So, I had a brain fart! If I feel the urge to order another Ford someday, I'll take a Milanta and try to be more sensible.

FL Mach 1
09-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Hey Ray,

Don't sweat it man. I have seen lots of stuff said that hasn't come to pass on the Mach. Besides because it says they will be hitting the shores in Nov. doesn't mean that a whole shipment will be going down there. They will probably have a few mixed in with other ford vehicles. So I personally don't see it really being an issue. I personally have no problem ordering another vehicle again. It has been a little tense at times but really not all that bad. Talk to the guys who ordered the new T Birds and see what they went through. Now from what I here that was a long wait. Anyway don't sweat it to much. Not really that important to get an ulcer over.

davecrazy
09-15-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MidLifeC

Also 'it's the type of car you want to collect'.

thats called "marketing hype".

the market will let us know in due time if the 2003 Mach 1 is a collectable or not.

StangRay
09-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your concern Fl Mach 1. Good to see some people trying to support the group!

I probably sound more upset than I really am. I was just venting from the inital news. You know, like when your kid does something really stupid and you catch them. You get really pissed initialy and let off a lot of steam. You dont' forget it, but you know that life goes on and you settle down and move forward. I am sure this experience will be a tremendous learning process for all of us. Ford included.

Thanks again and good luck with your new ride when you get it! Maybe we will cross paths someday at a Mach 1 meet and I can buy you a dark cold one ( yes, I like dark beer!). My Mach will be the real cool one that will most certainly stand out from the herd. I have some totaly cool plans for it, but I am not going to spill all of the beans! I can't wait to start on it!

02mach1
09-16-2002, 10:16 AM
I find out today Ford will make some Fords 100 Anniv.Mustang Mach1s later in the year, like Jan or Feb, "but" one color you can get is "black" with Fords 100 anniv. logo on trunk. like on the V6s GTs and Cobras Ford will build this year, but Ford didn't say how many Black Mach1s Ford Anniv. models be made. .;)