PDA

View Full Version : The "ticking" Noise...

04Mach-in-Mi
06-09-2005, 11:47 AM
You Guys that have commented about ticking noise from the engine, I was currious when exactly you hear it? After reading some post, I'm not quite sure if I have a piston slap problem, or a head problem. First my car only has 1800 mi. on it, so there isn't any wear and tear on the car at all. My noise sounds a lot like "pinging", almost like I was running a low grade fuel. It is only heard for the first 5 - 10 minutes after start up, and is only heard after letting off the gas shifting gears. I do not hear anything during normal acceleration or WOT.

I was wondering what the difference is in sound between piston slap and valvetrain noise that you guys have experienced.

rcodemach1
06-10-2005, 04:24 PM
"Search" my friend, and you will score much info.

03greymach1
06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Sounds like piston slap... very mild right now.

The best I have been able to decribe it as rocks in a tin can.

Do a search for piston slap or death rattle.

Go over to the Bullit club website imboc.com and search for death rattle.

As usual Ford say it's normal... go figure a high performance motor with piston slap :grr:
You Guys that have commented about ticking noise from the engine, I was currious when exactly you hear it? After reading some post, I'm not quite sure if I have a piston slap problem, or a head problem. First my car only has 1800 mi. on it, so there isn't any wear and tear on the car at all. My noise sounds a lot like "pinging", almost like I was running a low grade fuel. It is only heard for the first 5 - 10 minutes after start up, and is only heard after letting off the gas shifting gears. I do not hear anything during normal acceleration or WOT.

I was wondering what the difference is in sound between piston slap and valvetrain noise that you guys have experienced.

2k4mach
06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
"Search" my friend, and you will score much info.
:stupid:

SSmith440
06-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Mine only has the tick when it is REALLY hot hot such as after some 'spirited driving' other than that the only thing(s) I hear all the usuall clattering i.e. light piston slapping,injectors,chains,sprockets and God knows what else racket these motors make. Sure it's high tech mod and all that crap but yikes do they have to be so lose? I still am having trouble with the bright idea guys' use of the powder-puff-weak-innards of these mod motors. YaaaaY for weak rods-NOT. Much like the word flacid, powdered rods just does not have a good ring with me. :-) Scott