PDA

View Full Version : Three Red, a Blue and a Bullitt

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 09:50 PM
What a great day! Capital region Mach 1 owners held another informal gathering today. Thanks to the great planning done by Chuck Coryell (LDOMach), we gathered at Robert E. Lee's birthplace, Stratford Hall, where we combined Mustangs, a little bit of history and enjoyment of fantastic weather. Five cars and ten people assembled at the intersection of Routes 3 and 301 in Virginia, about twenty miles or so south of the Potomac River Bridge. From there we motored to Stratford Hall for the tour and lunch (the fried chicken lived up to Chuck’s recommendation), as well as some time in the great outdoors. Chuck also arranged for us to photograph the cars in front of the mansion. My four year old and I lost track of everyone at around 3:30 when we decided to play a two-person game of tag on Stratford Hall’s front yard, while the rest of the gang hit the many wooded trails around Lee’s ancestral home.

The following folks turned out for the trip:

Chuck (LDO Mach) and son (Azure Blue Mach 1)
Jim (Stang) and family (Torch Red Mach 1)
Wayne (Walunsf) (Black Bullitt)
Glenn (Rascal) and spouse (Torch Red Mach 1)
Bill (Tanklawyer) and son (Torch Red Mach 1)

One side note. My son and I stopped at the Sheetz on the corner of Rt. 3 and Rt. 301 to gas up at 4:30pm, while everyone else was still at Stratford Hall. While there, we saw an Azure Blue Mach 1 heading east on Rt. 3. Who was that?

Thanks again Chuck for doing the planning. Wayne, I dig your Bullitt (the first one I’ve gotten to really check out). Brian, where were you, man?

Here are some shots:

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 09:53 PM
I think Glenn got some shots of the actual humans involved in this event -- for some reason, all I got was the cars (and, of course, my son). I'd love to see some of those shots!

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Entering Stratford Hall Plantation:

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Another shot in front of Stratford Hall:

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 10:09 PM
My Mach 1 and Stratford Hall

Tanklawyer
03-22-2003, 10:21 PM
And what Mach 1 cruise would be complete without one of these? Tanklawyer talks himself out of a ticket and gets only a warning. 73 in a 55. And for the record, that language about child seats is pre-printed on the form, and had nothing to do with the warning -- Charlie was strapped in tight to his booster seat!

02mach1
03-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Glad you guys had fun today oh on the blue did you see you was driving the Mach1;) :)

bkeen
03-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Wow, I really wish I could have made the trip! Well better days are coming!

:THUMBSUP:

1mach03
03-23-2003, 01:06 AM
Wow glad you guys had a good time. I wish I could have been there. Cool pics too. Love the warning ticket tanklawer. I bet if you woulda given the officer a ride in your car you woudnt have gotten the ticket.:D :D :D :D :D april zavela the vettelady.

LDO Mach
03-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who showed up! More new friends with cool cars and hopefully a trend is being established.
Tank, you missed out on a hike that would have made many an outdoorsman cringe. People are probably cursing my name this morning as the walk through the woods covered most of Westmoreland County and our shoes were not up to the task. In my own defense, I told you all the lunch calories would be burned up.
GR8WHT, you have to organize the next one!

rascal
03-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Chuck, thanks for everything. My wife and I really enjoyed the day. I must say the trail blazing was a little tough on us pencil pushers, or keyboard cowboys, BUT it was well worth it, and the view of the Potomac was outstanding.

Tanklawyer somehow I missed you in my picture, I think you and Charlie was a little too far to the left. Anyway I hope to bring the pictures to the next "D.C. Gathering".

Thanks to all that showed up, and I hope to meet more Machers (I don't think that is a word, oh well) at the next meet.

Wayne thanks for bringing your Bullit, I always wanted to see one up close, great car.

Rascal (aka Glenn)

walunsf
03-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Glad to be there. I missed the Mustang gatherings while i was in the army. Glad i can take part again. next time maybe i can talk one of you guys into letting me take the mach for a test drive ;-)

wayne...