PDA

View Full Version : What some shops will do to make a buck!

04Mach-in-Mi
06-06-2005, 06:19 PM
I received my weekly "junk mail" today and a coupon was enclosed from a local Goodyear franchised service center. The coupon was for $10 off one of the following services you pick. The wording used below is exactly how it's printed on the coupon. The first 2 are services that should be done, especially the cooling system. But #2 and 3 is just some B.S. gimmick that should be considered as an unacceptable practice. I wonder how many people will run to this place to get there brake fluid flushed, or better yet how much the place charges to do this! I thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it.

1) Cooling system service

2) Transmission fluid exchange

3) Brake fluid flush :notsure:

4) Power steering flush :notsure:

Blackpony04
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
#5) Retorque muffler bearings. :LAUGH:

JDraper
06-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Getting the brake fluid flushed is not a gimmick. If you have a high mileage or older vehicle it's actually a good idea...Brake fluid is hygroscopic and can retain quite a bit of moisture. This moisture can corrode brake lines and reduce the braking power of the system.

FL Mach 1
06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Getting the brake fluid flushed is not a gimmick. If you have a high mileage or older vehicle it's actually a good idea...Brake fluid is hygroscopic and can retain quite a bit of moisture. This moisture can corrode brake lines and reduce the braking power of the system.

I was going to say the same thing. Well pretty much. If I remember correctly It is recommended to flush the brake fluid whenever you change out pads. When the Mach 1 was in for warranty work at our local Ford dealer they tried to get me to replace my front and rear brakes and flush they system. But they wanted around $550 to do all of it. I'll bust my knuckles and cuss some before I shell out $500 bucks to have someone do something I can do.

San Pedro Mach
06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
#5) Retorque muffler bearings. :LAUGH:

Actually, you should replace those bearings every 300,000 miles as they tend to seize up with age.
On a personal note, I always buy the Autolite Extended Life Bearings that are polished.
You know, they kinda add a nice touch to your muffler's inside...

03SHKR
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
they tend to seize up with age...
I know the feeling. That can be a real PITA....

substanger
06-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Getting the brake fluid flushed is not a gimmick. If you have a high mileage or older vehicle it's actually a good idea...Brake fluid is hygroscopic and can retain quite a bit of moisture. This moisture can corrode brake lines and reduce the braking power of the system.We do about 4 or 5 a day. Nothing wrong with changing the brake fluid every 60k miles or so, especially when you can see that it's dirty. It's only about $30 or so. Good "feel good" insurance.
Same with the PS fluid. After 60K miles or so, that stuff starts looking pretty nasty as well, and smells even worse. It's called PREVENTATIVE maintenence. Just like oil changes, tranny flushes, coolant flushes, changing rear end oil, repacking wheel bearings....you get the idea. :3:

substanger
06-06-2005, 08:36 PM
When the Mach 1 was in for warranty work at our local Ford dealer they tried to get me to replace my front and rear brakes and flush they system. Now, THAT'S BS! I don't think anybody on this board has enough mileage on their Mach's yet to justify a brake fluid flush. They were just trying to upsell you for something you didn't need. Glad you declined it!

falcongtho3
06-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Actually, you should replace those bearings every 300,000 miles as they tend to seize up with age.
On a personal note, I always buy the Autolite Extended Life Bearings that are polished.
You know, they kinda add a nice touch to your muffler's inside...

You can actually get the same bearings much cheaper under the 'Mattel' brand from Joe's BBQ and Bearing Emporium...and they taste better, too... :borg:

Torchmach
06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
I have been told that, because of our ABS brakes, Ford has a recommended service interval of 30,000 mi for brake fluid flushes on our Mach's.

Totoland Mach
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
.....they tend to seize up with age.

yea...I just got out of the hospital last week for an oil line dye check...got 1 blocked oil line around the heart...I DON'T NEED TO SEIZE UP JUST YET :)

Totoland Mach

birdman941
06-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Its all a good idea to do.
The brake system flush is ESPECIALLY important. Heat and condensation/moisture can give you a spongy feel to your brakes.
When the condensation (water) gets hot and evaporates inside the lines, it becomes a gas, which compresses (fluids do not compress) hence you get a soft, low or spongy pedal.
When you replace brake pads, I highly recommend fluching the fluid and overhauling the calipers.
A waste you say?
Would you overhaul your engine and put in your OLD oil?
I thought not.
P/S flush: Also a good idea. Most cars do not have a P/S cooler. Even if they do, the fluid gets hot and contaminated.
Over 20 years at Ford \ LM dealerships and having overhauled literally hundreds of steering gears, most are due to fluid breakdown, ruining the teflon seals in the gear, and making witness marks and gouges on the rack gear. It is especially important on rack and pinion steering gears.
When I worked at the dealerships, I couldn't have cared less about the money, I was, and still am into fixing it right the first time, and happy (repeat) customers.
Quality used to mean something to some folks.
I never forgot it, and still have not.
Turned 3600 hours in 1 calendar year at the dealership with 2 comebacks IN A calendar YEAR ( 1996 or 1995). That record still stands at the dealership.
When a technician (not a mechanic) does it right, he turns more hours because he isn't doing repeat repairs.
If your fluid smells burnt or is discolored,flush or replace the fluid.
It IS preventative maintenance, but just because you have a coupon doesn't mean you need it. Check it yourself.

GaPonyFarm
06-07-2005, 01:00 AM
All these things, and more, are good things to do... When they are needed. Just because you recieve a piece of junk mail doen't mean you need to rush out and do them... But on the other hand, if you know you need a particular service done, and get a decent coupon in the mail, it may be a good time to get the service done.

These companies count on a certain percentage of people responding to the mailer, and know a certain percentage will order up the whole menu. The sign of an honest shop, or franchise, is when they tell a customer that a particular service is not called for, in their case. Unfortunately, its the young drivers and elderly that get screwed by crooked shops.

04VAMach1
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Here is where I get my muffler bearings:
http://www.mufflerbearings.com/

Be sure to click on the Products link to see everything they offer.

substanger
06-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Here is where I get my muffler bearings:
http://www.mufflerbearings.com/

Be sure to click on the Products link to see everything they offer. :23: :23:

Mach1 w/Shaker
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
yea...I just got out of the hospital last week for an oil line dye check...got 1 blocked oil line around the heart...I DON'T NEED TO SEIZE UP JUST YET :)

Totoland Mach

Glad to see you back here Toto. How 'ya feeling?