PDA

View Full Version : 2 die at a track day - be careful out there

BoulderMach
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
This was forwarded to me via our local scca solo2 mailing list. It just so happens we had a 2005 Porsche Carrera GT (a $450,000 car) at our event last Sunday. The lady driving it had won a co-drive in a BMW Roadster at a charity event. During the 3rd heat when I was working the course action was stopped so she could run the GT on the course. It was pretty awesome to see and she went hard. In fact almost spun it at the end of the slalom I was working.

Anyway, just a reminder to those of you who do track days to remember there is risk involved. Get good safety equipment, and be careful.

2 die in track crash (http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html)

2k4mk1
06-03-2005, 12:24 PM
STREET CARS are not intended to take a side impact at 100+ mph. Shoulda had additional roll bars installed if you going to run it that hard. IMO.

BoulderMach
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Apparently there were several things which led to the incident. The track entrance had been placed at the end of a high speed straight. A car was instructed to enter with the GT approaching but hesitated. The car was then instructed to stop, but at that time decided to enter (with his passenger yelling "stop"). The GT had no place to go when the entering car pulled in front of him, tried to avoid, but lost control during the manevuer. Passenger side impacted the wall at close to full speed.

fastduo
06-03-2005, 02:40 PM
R.i.p.

JRKANOT
06-03-2005, 05:03 PM
:smack:
killed by some dumba$$es indecision. :notsure:
What a moron!
There may be a lot of factors,including where the entrance is located and the decision to allow public access during an event or even the guy waving the public across may shoulder some of the blame, but bottom line the person driving the car must decide if they can make it across in time. If the person driving had made one decision (stop and wait or go ahead quickly as instruced) and stuck to it......... then these two people would still be alive.

Vic229
06-03-2005, 05:23 PM
:notsure:

JRKANOT
06-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Love your sig vic229. :3:
Just so you know.......it's not me. :23:

Nekasrof
06-03-2005, 07:53 PM
What a shame. I feel sorry for those families affected.

R.I.P.