PDA

View Full Version : Side Scoops

Bulldog
03-17-2003, 09:03 PM
The side scoops are not functional are they? Mine has a plastic honey-combe type covering over them which would make it impossible for air to flow through it. I'm just checking to see if this was the case with everyone as I am taking it in to get some fluids replaced. thanks.

Black42R
03-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Side scoops haven't been functional on the SN-95 Mustang since 1995.

falcongtho3
03-17-2003, 09:41 PM
I was not aware of any Mustang, other than Shelby Mustangs, ever having functional side (quarter panel) scoops. My understanding is that they have always been ornamental. This was a pet peeve of Larry Shinoda, who excised them from all '69 Boss 302's, a design change that would be picked up in the '70 model year for all fastbacks. The rear pillar panels were used for ventilation from '64 1/4 to '68, and the '00 Cobra R had an optional differential cooler that picked up air in the quarter window.:THUMBSUP:

69mach03
03-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Whoops, my uncle's 1994 SVT Cobra has "brake cooler" side scoops. Much smaller than our long and skinny side scoops, but they are functional on his Cobra. :D

TRMach1
03-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by falcongtho3
I was not aware of any Mustang, other than Shelby Mustangs, ever having functional side (quarter panel) scoops. My understanding is that they have always been ornamental. This was a pet peeve of Larry Shinoda, who excised them from all '69 Boss 302's, a design change that would be picked up in the '70 model year for all fastbacks. The rear pillar panels were used for ventilation from '64 1/4 to '68, and the '00 Cobra R had an optional differential cooler that picked up air in the quarter window.:THUMBSUP:

Finally, I got you on this one! My 1994 GT had functional side scoops on it, which I believe carried over to 95. You could shoot a stream of water into them and see it come out in the rear wheel well! I found it odd when I bought my 98 GT that they were no longer functional but just for show. I don't know if Ford ever publicized the fact that the scoops were funcional or not. Even the "nostrils" in the hood were functional on the 94 GT, but they removed hot underhood air, as opposed to letting air in.

Randy
03-18-2003, 12:26 AM
If the Mach 1 had functional side scoops it would have made the car that much more outstanding... Team Mustang I'm sorry to say missed the boat on this one... Would it have cost much to make them workable??? Didn't the silver concept convertible car for the shaker hood scoop also have workable side scoops??? If classic concepts could do it a year or two ago - why aren't they on the 2003 Mach 1???

My 1967 Shelby had it - very simple set up one hole in the lower front quarter panel under plastic scoop - hosing leading to the front of outer wheel well. Hosing under rear interior side panels near rear fold down seat - most likely pretty cheap to do... I know this for a fact because I had the interior out of car redoing the seats, carpet replacement, repainting interior, replacing side scoop hosing that rotted away,etc.... Interior out of car at least 3 or 4 times, only thing left in the car was the driver's seat and dash - made me feel like a true stripped down race car - zoom - zoom RANDY:THUMBSUP:

03mach1
03-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Jim, you are correct, MY '94 GT also were functional and dumped out into the rear fender with a little molded flap vent!

I think you are right, around mid '95 they changed them to NON-functional...and have been that way since.

falcongtho3
03-18-2003, 07:34 AM
OK, I don't know everything! :D But, that's why we're all here, right? I do know that not all '67 Shelby's had the 'functional' rear scoop duct work. Seems they ran out of the hose material! What do you expect out of a company that used chicken wire for a grille and put 428's in most of its' 427 Cobras'?:THUMBSUP:

Walt
03-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Yep, my '95 had functional side scoops.

The scoops had open grills, and on the rear inner fenders, was an exhaust port for the air stream.

However, I will admit, I have no idea if they actually did anything useful in terms of cooling the rear discs to any meaningful amount.

Randy
03-19-2003, 12:01 AM
He was the first to give you a true performance Mustang in 1965 through 1970 ... And be honest in a few years when Ford comes out with a NEW SHELBY - tell me - that you won't be (running) down to your local Ford dealership placing a order 6 - months in advance - praying that your lucky enough to get a piece of automotive history.... It's amazing that he was able to do what he did on such a limited budget... Have you even SEEN a Shelby Mustang in person or went for a drive in one??? If you had you wouldn't be talking that way......... I was LUCKY enough to own one for ten years AND ONLY SOLD IT TO BUY MY HOUSE.... The Mach 1 is MY REPLACEMENT SHELBY MUSTANG - if you will - because SHELBYS cost way to much now..... God now I heard of everything someone putting down Shelby Mustangs one of automotive histories GREATEST cars... RANDY

falcongtho3
03-19-2003, 07:56 AM
You talkin' to me? My post was not there to put anybody or anything down. Shleby put functional side scoops on all his cars, but in Rick Kopec's 'Shelby' guide, he did make the fact known that many '67's went out without them due to a lack of parts. The chicken wire grille statement is a fact of interest that many Mustang enthusiasts are unaware of. And MANY 427 Cobras did come with 428's...fact! One of the first cars I ever drove was a '69 GT-500, I saw the Cobra Caravan (GT-350, Cobra, Daytona, and GT-40) when the passed through in the '60's. A good friend of mine restored the only PURPLE Shelby Mustang ever made. It went for over $100K after failing to meet reserve on ebay. Because I don't own one doesn't mean that I wouldn't want one (a '67 GT-350 w/inboard lights, 4 speed, air and white w/blue LeMans stripes please). But, I do know this is the same person who gave us "discovered" frames to continue 427 Cobra production, the Shelby Lancer, Shelby Dakota, but made up for most of that with his involvement in the Viper project. I do know the Shelby myth, the Shelby facts and if I were to have one, financial reasons would not be the drving factor.