PDA

View Full Version : Auto Or 5spd What Do Ou Think!

DRAGPACKBOSS
04-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, looking at a auto mach 1 at a delealer here is CA for 20k w19,000 mls. i want a 5spd but my consider the auto. How many auto guys love them and how do they perform? how many wish they got the 5spd. let me know and what do you think of the price$$$.

substanger
04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey guys, looking at a auto mach 1 at a delealer here is CA for 20k w19,000 mls. i want a 5spd but my consider the auto. How many auto guys love them and how do they perform? how many wish they got the 5spd. let me know and what do you think of the price$$$.

Get the 5-speed.....DRAGPACKBOSS :rolleyses ??? I know this is :OFFTOPIC: but why do you call yourself DRAGPACKBOSS with an email address that contains "bad69boss" and then ask how an automatic performs?? Just seems kind of funny. :LAUGH:

codymach
04-09-2005, 09:51 PM
I like my 5 speed, it gets better gas milage then an auto...tops out much faster then an auto....about 151 mph vs 124 mph (approx), the 5 speed also has a better crank then an auto Mach does. Having said that there are many autos at this site that will wax my 5 speed easily in a 1/4 mile race. Mach autos are excellent cars and better in some respects then a 5 speed when it comes to racing. There are + and - for both what you are going to do with the cars is what matters.

DRAGPACKBOSS
04-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Have a 69 boss 302 and a W code 4:30 DRAG PACK :gears: 70 boss 302 i know how they drive i am interested to know how the 03-04 auto mach responds. any autos out there...

thanks

San Pedro Mach
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
I say you get the stick. It might be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic, but think how much fun it will be when the road opens up.
For me...there was no way I was going to buy a performance car with an automatic!

Just my 2 cents, though...

Good luck on your choice...

leroybrown71
04-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Got an 04 Auto for the wife last year - pretty much no regrets. Once in awhile I grab for the shifter by instinct - don't get me wrong, a 5spd mach would be incredible. But with the awful traffic here in san antonio, I'd probably have a left calf the diameter of my waist after a few months of pumping that stiff clutch.

If you can get a good deal on that auto - go for it by all means. Still has that phenomenal engine - and that's why you're buying it after all, isn't it ? :)

LB

JLG41MACH
04-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Stick, ...cmon. :smack:

muddman
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I like my 5 speed, it gets better gas milage then an auto...tops out much faster then an auto....about 151 mph vs 124 mph (approx), the 5 speed also has a better crank then an auto Mach does. Having said that there are many autos at this site that will wax my 5 speed easily in a 1/4 mile race. Mach autos are excellent cars and better in some respects then a 5 speed when it comes to racing. There are + and - for both what you are going to do with the cars is what matters.this auto does not top out 124

RnJstel
04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
It depends on what you use the car for,

For my personal belief, Mustang and Automatic like Porsche/Automatic should never be spoken in the same sentence.

However, if I ever had to use a Mustang as primary transportation in an urban stop-go environment I might think differently.

11 mustangs later and still no slush-box
:)

muddman
04-09-2005, 10:38 PM

Thanks :stupid:fastest mach on the site is an auto :LAUGH no it does not top out 124 thats b.s. least mine dont.

codymach
04-09-2005, 10:45 PM
I thought auto's top out around 124....unless of course you have modified them :yeh:

TJ4Cam
04-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Never owned a Mustang with an auto, suggest you don't either! :)

Orange whip 04
04-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Heres one thing to consider, I have a 5 speed, Knock on wood i havent had any problems with it, but i have seen more people here complaine about there Tremec 5 speeds breaking alot than i have some one complaining about there automatic trans breaking? Does that seem to be the correct with 5 speed owners?

New Mach
04-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I had a T-5 5.0L for 20 years, my Mach is an auto by choice, besides, the folks that race Mustangs in my area, state auto's are the way to go for 1/4 mile racing, more consistant.

With that said, the auto is not as fun to drive as the manual.

Michael

Orange whip 04
04-10-2005, 01:17 AM
I had a T-5 5.0L for 20 years, my Mach is an auto by choice, besides, the folks that race Mustangs in my area, state auto's are the way to go for 1/4 mile racing, more consistant.

With that said, the auto is not as fun to drive as the manuel.

Michael

I would agree with that too. Love automatic for drag race or heavy traffic, but love to drive a 5 speed manual out in the country with whinding up and down roads. Since i have the 5 speed, my wife is considering getting the Automatic version of the mach.

ShakeMe
04-10-2005, 02:18 AM

If you live in Southern CA. get the auto. For about a grand you can make it shift like a 5 speed. To really make up your mind go rent a 5 speed and then pick a freeway.

EZMachN
04-10-2005, 02:51 AM
My auto shuts off at 127, it did before I turned it off w/ the diablo

Orange whip 04
04-10-2005, 02:54 AM
My auto shuts off at 127, it did before I turned it off w/ the diablo

So what does it shut off at now since you turned that event off with the diablo?

streakn
04-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Love my auto.

BlackMach
04-10-2005, 07:55 AM
My automatic has a chip, and it's set at 180 mph I believe (not saying my Mach will do that though).

GO2REDLINE
04-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Never will buy a freaking auto in a performance car unless its a drag strip terror. I want ABSOLUTE control of my vehicle, admit it or not auto doesnt offer you as much control of power transfer. Wait and buy a manual, that "deal" you mentioned isnt that great, I mean im not WOW'd by those numbers. I garantizzle you can find exactly what you want for same money.

B warned thou, the tranny in the MACH 5spd is a TR3650 TREMEC. Thats all im gonna say :) you can figure it out for yourself.

98 V6 Stang
02 V6 Stang
01 COBRA
00 T/A
89 911 T
03 MACH 1... all before age 21, all manuals.

spr03
04-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Auto all the way. :yeh:

ponygt65
04-10-2005, 12:45 PM
All I am going to say is......................My wife wouldn't be caught dead in an Auto. She laughed at the salesman when he assumed she wanted an auto. Darn near ripped him a new A-hole too. Dang stereotypes.

leroybrown71
04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
All I am going to say is......................My wife wouldn't be caught dead in an Auto. She laughed at the salesman when he assumed she wanted an auto. Darn near ripped him a new A-hole too. Dang stereotypes.

Buddy when I was selling cars, 99.99999999999999999% of women would give me the funniest look and get all confused if I asked whether they wanted auto or manual. Granted, that.00000000000001% could drive stick better than I could ever hope to... but the fact of the matter is the vast majority of women would have absolutely no f*ckin clue what to do with a manual transmission.

lurker
04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Get the Auto - more consistent for drag racing - read the threads on breaking manual trannys and you'll see what I mean.

03whitemach
04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I would say, being an auto owner myself, decide for yourself. I went to buy a Stick, because I've owned 5 speeds before, it just seems to pull harder, but got an auto because its my daily driver and in Tampa, there's alot of stop and go traffic.
Either way, get a Mach and you've made a good choice.

New Mach
04-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I think they make some pretty nice shifters for the Auto. I've seen them with manual shift, lock switch and NOS switch by Hurst.

Michael

ponygt65
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Buddy when I was selling cars, 99.99999999999999999% of women would give me the funniest look and get all confused if I asked whether they wanted auto or manual. Granted, that.00000000000001% could drive stick better than I could ever hope to... but the fact of the matter is the vast majority of women would have absolutely no f*ckin clue what to do with a manual transmission.

you know. I can see your point. But that percentage number is just plain rediculous. Let's not forget we are talking about a Mach here. Not some crappy a$s Neon, Civic or Accord. When you are talking about women that don't know about cars, well...duh. But like I said, we are talking Machs here. I am sure the women mach drivers in here can agree with me. Again, my wife wouldn't be caught dead in an auto.

kevsmach
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I have the automatic and like it. I say to each his own but I would buy another auto with no hesitation.

04Auto25
04-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I bought the auto as I want consistency in the 1/4 mile and the street. I'm supercharging my Mach soon and can't wait. As for the way it drives, I love it. I'd say drive both and see for yourself which one you like better. Have you looked into ebaymotors.com? You'll be able to find a much better deal.

mach1fan35
04-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Never will buy a freaking auto in a performance car unless its a drag strip terror. I want ABSOLUTE control of my vehicle, admit it or not auto doesnt offer you as much control of power transfer. Wait and buy a manual, that "deal" you mentioned isnt that great, I mean im not WOW'd by those numbers. I garantizzle you can find exactly what you want for same money.

B warned thou, the tranny in the MACH 5spd is a TR3650 TREMEC. Thats all im gonna say :) you can figure it out for yourself.

98 V6 Stang
02 V6 Stang
01 COBRA
00 T/A
89 911 T
03 MACH 1... all before age 21, all manuals.Yeah the tremec gives you better control.....kinda like a wife. every time you really start havin fun it locks you out. :LAUGH:

Lonestar 7
04-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Go Stick yes it can be a pain in traffic but when you want to bust a move you can do it faster.

fastgenious
04-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I own a Mach with auto and a Z06 with a 6 speed stick. My Mach really pulls well with the auto and I am totally impressed with the performance and feel of the car. I could have bought a manual Mach but I did not like the feel of the manual when I drove it and also was turned off by all of the problems with the stick tranny(posts on this site). The manual in my Z06 is incredible and I wish Ford would have put a decent manual in the Mach. Everyone can flame me for saying that but a lot of people on this site have had problems with their manual tranny. Ford should have spent the extra $$$ and put in a decent 6-speed in the Mach 1...Personaly, I think the manual in the Mach is a real let down when it comes to quality and feel.

lstpierr
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Had no choice, the wife insisted on an Auto. But I have to say, it drives great! I plan on putting a custom chip to tweak the shift points a bit, but the power is definitely there. Don't know about the 124 shut off, I've been in the 130's with mine, and it hasn't shut off.
With a couple of descent mods, you will be flying, and if it's a daily driver, in traffic, it's a no brainer.

I do wish I would have gotten a 5 speed though, but I have to agree with many here, it appears there are more problems with the manual tranny versus the automatic.

Either way, you can't go wrong, afterall, it's a MACH!!!

Xphile
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
I've got the 5-speed and love it. However, the one thing that annoys me about the Mach is that it doen't shift as smoothly as I would like. I will remedy that soon.

Bottom line is that by choosing a Mach, it's a win-win situation. Good luck!

Blackpony04
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM
I have the automatic and like it. I say to each his own but I would buy another auto with no hesitation.

:agree: I didn't really have a choice as the only new black Machs available to me at the end of June 04 in Illinois was an automatic with IUP, or a stick without the IUP. As for your decision it really depends on how you plan on driving it as I do more town driving than anything and I really don't know what benefit I'd get from a stick. Also, expect to get a little ridicule from the under 30 crowd (and even some from the 30+ too) but I usually shut them up by saying the automatic made it not only more consistent on the 1/4 mile but an even rarer car (mine's one of less than 217 made in that color combo and even rarer if I could get the IUP production numbers).

muddman
04-11-2005, 07:10 PM
:agree: I had a T-5 5.0L for 20 years, my Mach is an auto by choice, besides, the folks that race Mustangs in my area, state auto's are the way to go for 1/4 mile racing, more consistant.

With that said, the auto is not as fun to drive as the manual.

Michael

muddman
04-11-2005, 07:14 PM
:agree: I own a Mach with auto and a Z06 with a 6 speed stick. My Mach really pulls well with the auto and I am totally impressed with the performance and feel of the car. I could have bought a manual Mach but I did not like the feel of the manual when I drove it and also was turned off by all of the problems with the stick tranny(posts on this site). The manual in my Z06 is incredible and I wish Ford would have put a decent manual in the Mach. Everyone can flame me for saying that but a lot of people on this site have had problems with their manual tranny. Ford should have spent the extra $$$ and put in a decent 6-speed in the Mach 1...Personaly, I think the manual in the Mach is a real let down when it comes to quality and feel.

GaPonyFarm
04-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Don't let yourself be fooled by those that say they have "total control" with the 5 spd. They only think they have better control. Unless you race autocross, like to drive on curvey roads (get suspension work done), or pull farm equipment, there is no advantage to a 5 spd, certainly not on a 1/4 mile track. If you live in a high traffic density area, the 5 spd is just foolish.

If you like to wind the gears and have the illusion of control and power, the 5 spd is right up your alley and you'll have an opportunity to make lots of new friends.......
in the service department. But you'll have fun driving it back and forth to the dealership!

steven
04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
this auto does not top out 124

this one doesn't either......can you say removed speed limiter/governor???? :yes:

ponygt65
04-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Don't let yourself be fooled by those that say they have "total control" with the 5 spd. They only think they have better control. Unless you race autocross, like to drive on curvey roads (get suspension work done), or pull farm equipment, there is no advantage to a 5 spd, certainly not on a 1/4 mile track. If you live in a high traffic density area, the 5 spd is just foolish.

If you like to wind the gears and have the illusion of control and power, the 5 spd is right up your alley and you'll have an opportunity to make lots of new friends.......
in the service department. But you'll have fun driving it back and forth to the dealership!

I have to disagree. I do live in traffic....central valley traffic. And i love driving my 4, 5, or 6 speed in it. And as far as auto vs. stick in the 1/4 (I was going to leave this alone, but being a manual tranny person, I was offended by your post), auto's without a doubt are consistant. BUT anyone can get in an auto and be consistant. Try getting in a 5-speed and be as consistant as an auto........that takes skill and hard work.

Fastgenious - I think the 5-spd in the mach is great. I have had no problems (knock on wood) and it shifts ALOT smoother than my cobra. So I am very happy ford didn't put their six speed in the mach. Maybe it is because my cobra only has 3500 miles, but it is extremely stiff. If you are not "on it" ie: high rpms, it doesn't want you to shift. The mach is nothing like that. It is smooth as can be.

Oh and GAPony - IF Auto.'s were THAT much better, why wasn't it an option on ALL years of the Cobra? To each his own.

My personal advice is get what you want. Test drive both if you can. If an Auto is the only thing available, then go for it. You will have fun no matter which one you get.

New Mach
04-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I just got word from the local Mustang Shop, and they are stating that there is a high demand for Cobra T6 swaps for the Mach 1 auto tranny, seems the Mach 1 tranny is built up compared to the GT tranny. His only suggestion was to get a upgraded converter, he says that will free up some power.

FYI.

Michael

PS. I don't have a dog in this fight.

substanger
04-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Dude has TWO Boss 302's and hasn't responded since his second post.....guess he's happy with the Boss'. I know I'd be!!

DRAGPACKBOSS
04-13-2005, 10:40 PM
I have a total of 3 boss mustangs and looking to make a purchase on a mach1 soon.(auto 5spd :wall: ) i am going to the knotts berry farm all Ford show here in CA, and hope to talk to some mach 1 owners for some feedback on auto or stick. What do you guys think about resale of the auto or stick in the event i sell in the future. thanks for all the post this is a great site for feedback.

JRKANOT
04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
I guess my auto Mach must have had the limiter taken off by the previous owner. I was pegging the needle two days ago around 4:30am here in Winchester. Most fun of my life!!!
Don't know what the previous owner did burt I'm glad I got the "Slowmatic".

BlkStang4 me
04-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I really like my automatic tranny, but i find myself shifting in and out of overdrive to simulate the engine braking effects of a manual transmission. I do live in so Cal and if i had it to do all over again i would have gotten the manual, just because hey its a muscle car, i want to be able to drive it like one. That being said, I still love the automatic, especially after a Diablo CMR Tune :yeh: . Either way the car drives great but if you get an auto be sure and get it tuned.

jonkolo
04-23-2005, 10:33 PM
I guess my auto Mach must have had the limiter taken off by the previous owner. I was pegging the needle two days ago around 4:30am here in Winchester. Most fun of my life!!!
Don't know what the previous owner did burt I'm glad I got the "Slowmatic".

How much was left? I hit 135 and it still had a lot left. I think it will do at least 160.

streakn
04-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I really like my automatic tranny, but i find myself shifting in and out of overdrive to simulate the engine braking effects of a manual transmission. I do live in so Cal and if i had it to do all over again i would have gotten the manual, just because hey its a muscle car, i want to be able to drive it like one. That being said, I still love the automatic, especially after a Diablo CMR Tune :yeh: . Either way the car drives great but if you get an auto be sure and get it tuned.
Sounds like you need a B&M shifter...I know I do,but it's about saving enough $$$.

JRKANOT
04-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Not sure,I ran out of room and had to slow down. Still felt like I had a little pedal left but not much.

jonkolo
04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Not sure,I ran out of room and had to slow down. Still felt like I had a little pedal left but not much.

If you do it again make sure to let up on the throttle around 130 and let the transmission shift into overdrive under light load. (130 MPH with the stock 3:55 gear).

WOT 3-4 shifts are very hard on the OD band. It's been a classic problem on police cars, and also our Mach's. Do it enough and overdrive could go out. This is one of the reasons ford limited the auto's to 126, but the main reason is rear transmission bushing failure if running at very high speeds for extended periods of time, like ouf friends in Germany do.

Be careful. I know it's fun, but....... check your tires,,,,etc....

JRKANOT
04-24-2005, 02:53 PM
:OFFTOPIC:

:yes: I know it was silly but I just got the car and I wanted to see what it would do. I waited until 4:30am on a tuesday morning(trying to be responsible) :notsure: so traffic would be light.
I don't intend to run the car wide open on a regular basis so I probably won't worry about tires. I think the tire ratings apply to extended periods of high spped driving. Also i might see about getting the limiter put back to stock. I have two teenage boys who are dieing to drive this car and I would feel better knowing the transmission is set up properly.

New Mach
04-24-2005, 03:53 PM
So what happend? This story has no ending, I figured that is why you posted this thread?

Huh?

Michael

JRKANOT
04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Nope. That's it. No story to it. Just tested the new car out to see what it would do. Then I was replying to questions from "jonkolo".
I'll explain my post for you.
My point was that in reference to the thread concerning, Auto vs. 5-speed, where a member suggested that the stock autos shut off at 124mph, I merely wanted to point out that top end should not be a deciding factor since the speed limiter can be adjusted with a tuner.