PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the gauge pod from??

NS_Mach
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have the gauge pod from autometer part #10005. its the one that goes right into your dash. My questions is does it have a indent on left side, it looks like a defrost button should go there??? Thx

IZZY
04-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm purchasing one this week, so I'll let you know. From what I can understand, #10005 for '01-'04 mustangs shouldn't have the indent. I believe that would be part #10003 for '94'-'00 mustangs.

FordMan
04-07-2005, 06:39 AM
I just got one (Autometer Part #10005) and it does have an indent, but no hole.

FordMan
04-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Update on the #10005 pod, it fit just as well as the stock bezel. The headlight switch hole is a little tight for a Steeda aluminum knob, so it could use a slight enlargement with a Dremel or a hand file. Otherwise it's a good piece and makes running the wiring to the additional gauges relatively painless.

NS_Mach
04-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Do you have install pics of your gauges? :PICS:

FordMan
04-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Here's one of the right side, the left side does not have one installed yet

mustangmike2003
04-24-2005, 02:55 AM
What color is that bezel? Dont they come black and the interior is more of a charcoal color?? Im trying to get my steering columnn pod to match and then im going to put in the instrument cluster. I emailed VHT but am awaiting a response

FordMan
04-24-2005, 07:28 PM
It comes unpainted black and I used ordinary DupliColor auto spray paint (Silver Charcoal DSFM236) on it.

mustangmike2003
04-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Can you snap a pic from farther away, I debating that color or trying to match the interior color

FordMan
04-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Yes I'll take one and get it downloaded here tomorrow

mustangmike2003
04-25-2005, 05:15 PM
What kind of prep work did you do? I think im going to lightly sand it, then clean it with rubbing alcohol then primer then some paint

FordMan
04-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry but I left my digital camera at work in my haste to get home before the hail started, so I'll get a pic of the whole gauge bezel tomorrow. The silver charcoal paint is a very close match to the interior trim. As far as prep all I did was use rubbing alcohol. With a spray can of course there were a few bad spots so I lightly wet sanded those and repainted.

FordMan
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Here's some pics from the front and right side. Still debating what gauge to put in the empty hole.

mustangmike2003
04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Its different but I like it alot. If I was you I would put an electric water temp gauge in there. The stock one is shitty and more like a switch, it just sits there once warmed up

Mister L
05-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Its different but I like it alot. If I was you I would put an electric water temp gauge in there. The stock one is shitty and more like a switch, it just sits there once warmed up

I have the Autometer Cobalt series electric water temp gauge and the stock gauge works well. The stock gauge starts to move when the temp is near 140 and is at the first line when at 160. At 185 the stock gauge is at 12 oclock so I think the stock gauge works great. Of course the stock gauge is gathering the temp data just below the water cross over tube and the autometer is picking it up just forward of the bellhousing below the head and on the block on the left side.

As for gauge bezel, the one I ordered from RPM outlet is the autometer 10005 part number and it does have an indention on the left side. I am running the electric water temp, oil pressure and air/fuel gauges and also using the column pod. Both pods come in black plastic. To paint, wash the plastic parts with Dawn dishwashing detergent and rinse with COLD WATER. Cold water rinses better than hot (believe it or not) and then use a hair dryer and carefully dry the part. DO NOT dry the part with any cloth or paper towels as they will leave residue. Handle the part carefully by touching the edges and paint with a spray can at a distance of about 8-12 inches. I wanted my gauge bezel to match as closely as possible to the original but couldn't find a perfect match so I went with Dupli-Color Import 88-00928 Graphite Grey. It looks pretty good.

Now I'm looking for the gray to match the column. Anyone know a usable color here?

mustangmike2003
05-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Mister L, thanks for the good info. Im going to paint my steering column pod with the spray from ford. Goto the dealer and tell them your interior code which is AW and they will order it. Its 19 bucks a can. Little pricey but it matches. You didnt use primer or anything??

Mister L
05-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the dealer info. I went there first and they didnt offer to order anything but now I will ask again. They sent me to a body shop who told me I needed a special bonding agent between the plastic and the paint, a primer, etc. I said, OK and left it at that.

Plastic is softened by paint because of the solvents in the paint. This softening is what provides its adhesion and therefore a primer is a just a wasted step when painting plastic. The big issue with plastic is getting it clean as anything that is molded has to have a release agent applied to keep the part from sticking to its mold. So, if you don't clean it good you will get fisheyes and other anomolies from paint repelling the area it needs to cover because of the contaminants. The natural oils from your hand can cause the same thing. Dawn dishwashing detergent works great, use a toothbrush or soft bristle brush and wash the parts on the inside and out. Rinse thoroughly and then dry. If someone wants to see a photo of my gauge pod send me your email address. My photos are huge and I have no idea how to resize them.

mustangmike2003
05-01-2005, 02:23 PM
mustangmike2003@comcast.net , ide be interested in seeing the pics. I plan on painting mine with the ford paint this week and ill let you know how it goes

Mister L
05-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I'll try to post a few photos............I might have figured it out. We'll see!

I finally figured this photo posting out..........this is COOL! I do not like the high luster silver bezels on these gauges and I intend to paint them to match the overall bezel color or tone them down and match the center console silver trim.

mustangmike2003
05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
stupid question.....you painted the pony on the wheel right?

Mister L
05-01-2005, 10:05 PM
No such thing as stupid question! NO, it is not painted but I did use a silver permanent marker. You can get them at most hobby or art supply stores. It was easy and has held up for the past year.

Mister L
05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Mister L, thanks for the good info. Im going to paint my steering column pod with the spray from ford. Goto the dealer and tell them your interior code which is AW and they will order it. Its 19 bucks a can. Little pricey but it matches. You didnt use primer or anything??

I called the Ford dealer today and the part number for the interior paint color code AW is PM19M5474149H charcoal gray Cost with tax was 21 and some change. This is a spray can of interior paint

mustangmike2003
05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
I just painted mine. If some one can re-size the image I will email it to them. It looks like it rolled out of the factory with it. I hope they gave you the right one mister L because the interior is really called midnight black, believe it or not.

Koz-04Mach
05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Send it to me, ill resize it. Todd@i-vsc.com

And your correct Midnight Black is the right color for the darker interior pieces.

mustangmike2003
05-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Koz-04mach, sent them to mister L and he will be posting it. The pod turned out awesome!!! Looks like it rolled out of the facotry with it on!

Mister L
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Koz-04mach, sent them to mister L and he will be posting it. The pod turned out awesome!!! Looks like it rolled out of the facotry with it on!

As Mike said, he sent them to me to resize and I have done that. Here is Mike's photos. I also talked to the dealer today Mike and I asked again about the color number in the above post. The one I ordered is called Charcoal Black and the Midnight Black is supposed to be for an Oxford White car. I told him a Mach interior comes in one color so I will see but I'm thinking they are the same color maybe a slight shade different and it may also be a difference in 03 vs 04 color name. Regardless, it still shares the same W in the interior color code.

Here are those photos.

Marty

Koz-04Mach
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
As Mike said, he sent them to me to resize and I have done that. Here is Mike's photos. I also talked to the dealer today Mike and I asked again about the color number in the above post. The one I ordered is called Charcoal Black and the Midnight Black is supposed to be for an Oxford White car. I told him a Mach interior comes in one color so I will see but I'm thinking they are the same color maybe a slight shade different and it may also be a difference in 03 vs 04 color name. Regardless, it still shares the same W in the interior color code.

Here are those photos.

Marty

I wish you the best. When I got the charcoal the first time it looked like the old gray for the sn95 style. I went back and got Midnight Black and it was perfect. In the dupon color guide me and the guy spend quite a bit reading through it, they list several colors for the car, for the interior they have both Charcoal Grey and Midnight black. Just test it first dont paint your pod with it till your sure.

Mister L
05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I'll call the dealer and ask them to change my order. Thanks for the feedback.

mustangmike2003
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
The color doesnt look shiny like it does it the photo. It matches up perfect

jdoug
10-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm glad I found this thread-- I'm planning on getting one of these IC bezels eventually. I have one in my other car (turbo Eclipse) and it's worked great for years.

So what's the final consensus on the best color to paint it to match the interior-- midnight black, correct?

IZZY
12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have the correct part# for the midnight black?

jdoug
06-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Any updates on this? I'm ordering my bezel this week and want to have the paint ready for it when it comes in.

Mister L
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
interior blacks, these are Ford Part number

021805 1074H - Midnight Black/NOIR ZUEA on the cap.............this is the correct one for the interior trim black which has a slight grey hue. The other black is PM-19M547-4149H - BLACK - NOIR and is legitimately BLACK.

The Mach interior has a charcoal look so the first listed is correct. If you are painting the single gage, column pod, this is the correct color to match your column, steering wheel or door panels. I just painted another bracket for my wideband O2 digital display and it matches the interior perfectly.

jdoug
06-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks!