PDA

View Full Version : optima battery?

davidsmach
02-28-2005, 11:51 PM
anyone out there install a optima battery yet?if so which one and what did you do to make it fit?thanks in advance.

hawk
02-28-2005, 11:54 PM
subscribing...

MA-MACH1
02-28-2005, 11:58 PM
http://carmansgarage.zoovy.com/product/OPT3478?META=froogle-OPT3478
looks like a great battery for a TR mach - might put that on the list of mods for next winter.

G
03-01-2005, 02:41 AM
anyone out there install a optima battery yet?if so which one and what did you do to make it fit?thanks in advance.

My son needed a battery for his 02 GT so I gave him the Mach1 battery and installed a Red Top. I used a Speedway Motors billet mount. See attached pics, the color is a good match for the TR Machs.

03AV8R
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Now that is a slick lookin setup!!! I cant imagine anyone not wanting to switch over to a setup like that if your going to keep her in the traditional location.. Looks Sweet!!

2k4mach
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
i threw the yellow top outta my 93 in the mach about 6 months ago, it fits just fine in the tray, used the group 65 adapters they came with the optima and it works just fine with the stock hold down.

G
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
i threw the yellow top outta my 93 in the mach about 6 months ago, it fits just fine in the tray, used the group 65 adapters they came with the optima and it works just fine with the stock hold down.

This is true I used mine with the adapter for a few weeks. I love the Hot Rod mods and have more I plan to do. The optima is heavy compared to the f/s battery but it is nearly bulletproof, will never leak, and will last for years longer.

I had one of the first red tops sold in a 70 1/2 Z28 I restored/modified it has been in there for at least 7 years. I sold the car about 9 months ago. It had been sitting idle for about 60 days with no battery manager, charger, etc.... it cranked right up and is still in the car.

If you plan to keep your car for a long time, the cost of the optima will be offset by the performance the battery offers. It looks great with the polished mount.

04DSG Mach
03-19-2005, 12:47 AM
whats the differnce about these batteries compared to our stock ones? Why excactly are they so good?

waban28
03-19-2005, 01:49 AM
optima batterys are gel batteries! you can mount them at any position(up side down,sideways). I used them on all my military generators, and hummers! they are awesome. But I haven't put one in my mach yet!

04DSG Mach
03-19-2005, 09:21 AM
optima batterys are gel batteries! you can mount them at any position(up side down,sideways). I used them on all my military generators, and hummers! they are awesome. But I haven't put one in my mach yet!

O thats neat. Do the different colors of the tops on the batteries mean anything? Like whats the diff between the yellow and red?

Vic229
03-19-2005, 01:11 PM
O thats neat. Do the different colors of the tops on the batteries mean anything? Like whats the diff between the yellow and red?

Red Top: Red Top Starting Battery. Optima Batteries SPIRALCELL design uses high purity lead plates wound with a glass mat that absorbs electrolyte like a sponge. Optima Batteries generate extremely high power, and very low internal resistance.

Yellow Top: The yellow top design uses the same elements that optima used to make the Red Top Starting battery, but it has increased battery plate density. This design gives the yellow top the ability to be deeply discharged and recharged without giving up the batteries high starting ability.

Blue Top: Is for marine applications. Same stuff as above but battery has been verified in life cycle testing to exceed 350 complete discharges and can be fully recharged in as little as one hour about twice as fast as other batteries.