PDA

View Full Version : Bad Paint !!!

BLACK NO. 1
02-19-2003, 05:02 PM
TWO WEEKS AFTER PURCHASING MY 2003 MACH, THE PAINT STARTED TO FLAKE OFF THE HOOD. YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW UPSET I WAS. THE DEALERSHIP PROMISES TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT. WE'LL SEE... ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM OR IS IT JUST MY USUAL BAD LUCK?

dock44
02-19-2003, 06:34 PM
I don't have my Mach yet but my 03' GT(black) has peeling paint on the hood. One of my neighbors also has a late model black GT and his paint is peeling off of the hood in almost the exact same spot. Mine is getting fixed under warranty, but this does seem odd. I hand wash my car too....no high pressure hoses. It's almost like the paint did not fully cure.

Walt
02-19-2003, 07:07 PM
The paint on the passenger side A-pillar started to crack and peel on my ol' crystal white 1995 Mustang when it was only a few months old. The dealer did a very good job fixing it.

TheOrkinMan
02-19-2003, 09:13 PM
I have a question for you guys, did you wax your car within 90 days of the cars production? If so, that may be your problem, new paint is not supposed to be waxed for 90 to ensure proper curing/setting, whatever you want to call it. At least this is what my body shop has always told me.

BLACK NO. 1
02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
I DIDN'T TOUCH IT. I WAS THINKING MAYBE I SHOULD'VE DONE SOMETHING BECAUSE I HAVE NOT SEEN PAINT PEEL LIKE THAT ON A "NEW" VEHICLE. MY GIRLFRIENDS V-6 COUPE STARTED PEELING AFTER HER FIRST YEAR WITH IT. THE DEALERSHIP WAS GOING TO REPAINT HER MUSTANG BUT THEN SHE HIT AN ANTELOPE. MUSTANGS AND ANTELOPE DON'T MIX !!!!!

Mustang Matt
02-19-2003, 09:31 PM
ok, easy with the caps lock button

Waxing a car before it is 90 days old will not cause the paint to peal. I honestly think 90 is a bit excessive, 30 days is fine. You're better off with some wax to protect against bird crap/acid rain than to wait 90 days. Unless there are some of you who plan on keeping your car inside for 90 days.

About black Mustang paint jobs...mine (98 vert) is ok. Not perfect, but no pealing.

Mustang Matt
02-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Orkin: this should more than answer your question...

Meguiars car care tips (http://www.meguiars.com/fastrack/fastrack_browse.cfm?Turn=4)

TheOrkinMan
02-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks Matt, now I know I can wax my car almost as soon as I get it! :D