PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster? / Exhaust? - ETC.

Chris
02-16-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed many times over, but to get a fresh perspective, I wanted to start a new thread. Putting aside the tone (sound) of the Mach's original exhaust system, how much would the car gain in horsepower by just replacing the mufflers? My dilemma is, I would prefer not to take the CATS off. Due to the car being under warranty, it would be my luck something would go wrong with the engine (or something under the hood) and Ford would not honor the warranty because of the CATS not being on. However, I am willing to change the mufflers but would like this group's knowledge to assist with my decision. How much of a difference in horsepower does a car gain when ONLY the mufflers are changed versus the entire system? I would be willing to replace the CATS if an aftermarket brand would not void any warranty. What, in your opinion, brand has proven it's self to be on top? My intent is to add a little more juice to the engine without going the way of nitrous or anything real radical. Coupled with the mufflers (and perhaps the CATS) would changing the air filter help? And one last thing...the guttural, low toned sound of the Mustang must remain...what series of any brand is recommended? More importantly, when I'm accelerating, I don't want it to sound like I'm going 100+ MPH when I'm only going 20 MPH (like the CRX's and other foreign vehicles). What system will produce the appropriate sound to accelerating ratio. Thanks In Advance -

Tomcat427
02-16-2003, 04:20 PM
I put on a MAC cat-back system with 3 1/2 Chrome Tips.

No Preformance Gain.

I Like the sound a lot better.

After having them on for a while I wish I would have went another route. The tips seem to be chrome plated only on the outside. I am trying to figure out what to do about the inside. Nothing like walking up to a car with 3 1/2 Chrome Tips with a big bunch of rust color to fill in the center.

Good Luck!
:THUMBSUP:

1 BULLITT
02-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Why don't you wait until the Mach 1 becomes a project to one of the sites, magazine, or aftermarket companies, which can field test their mods on what works or doesn't?

5.0 magazine (Dec. '02) issue had a comparisson of 15 different mufflers which were dynoed and tested for sound on the same car.

3-8 hp gain can be expected on higher flow mufflers. A full exhaust relacement (i.e. Bassani) might net between 10-15, but might be at the expense of the torque.

I had mine replaced with FlowMasters. I am very happy with them. I was looking to improve the sound and not have to use ear plugs, while retaining the original cats and exhaust tips. Perhaps this link will give you an idea: http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=7

Chris
02-16-2003, 05:57 PM
3-8 hp gain can be expected on higher flow mufflers. A full exhaust relacement (i.e. Bassani) might net between 10-15, but might be at the expense of the torque.

I had mine replaced with FlowMasters. I am very happy with them. I was looking to improve the sound and not have to use ear plugs, while retaining the original cats and exhaust tips. Perhaps this link will give you an idea: http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=7 [/B][/QUOTE]

George,

So the mufflers can be replaced while saving the original cats, exhaust tips, producing a little more horsepower and still retain the throaty sound. This is what I wanted to know.

Thank you for the site address as well.

P.S. Thank you TomCat427 for your input.

1 BULLITT
02-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Chris: They have to be cut off at each end, and the new ones are welded on. I took mine to a professional muffler shop. Not only did they do a great job, but the exhaust tips are now even on both sides. In case you haven't noticed, the left tip extends longer than the one on the right, by .25-.5 inches. This is not a Mach 1 issue, it is also evident on the Bullitts as well as the GTs.

The FlowMasters part # is 42443 @ $89 each, total cost: $232, in case you are interested.

IMO and taste, my car not only performs as a Mach 1 should, it also sounds like it should.

Chris
02-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by 1 BULLITT
Chris: They have to be cut off at each end, and the new ones are welded on. I took mine to a professional muffler shop. Not only did they do a great job, but the exhaust tips are now even on both sides. In case you haven't noticed, the left tip extends longer than the one on the right, by .25-.5 inches. This is not a Mach 1 issue, it is also evident on the Bullitts as well as the GTs.

The FlowMasters part # is 42443 @ $89 each, total cost: $232, in case you are interested.

IMO and taste, my car not only performs as a Mach 1 should, it also sounds like it should.

Yep, this is what I wanted to know. By chance, would this be the one you purchased? I tried looking up the part number you provided, but I didn't see anything that matched. This particular muffler (40 series Delta Flow) sounds & reads just about what I am looking for.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10/SePerfMuff4.html

Thanks, Chris

1 BULLITT
02-17-2003, 08:38 AM
42443 in on the outside of the box. On your link the number appears as 942543. The describtion sounds the same. It is the 2-chamber, series 40. Call some local muffler shops, they should be in stock. BTW, I had the same mufflers on my GT, and they were extremely loud. I have a feeling that they were not welded properly. In other words, if this is the route you take, make sure that whoever does the work knows what he is doing.

bullitt1229
02-22-2003, 11:57 AM
If you don't want the mufflers right away, they sell them on ebay dirt cheap. I got mine off ebay for $120 with free shipping. And then paid $80 to get them welded in. I paid $80 because I had to pay for hangers because I wanted to keep the original Bullitt mufflers. Just go to ebay and type in 42443 in the search box and they will come up. Good luck and you will love them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2404728078&category=6771

These are the ones that I got right here. I would recommend him to anyone.

cojo428
02-22-2003, 10:57 PM
You might want to check out http://www.mustangexhaust.com/ to check on how some of the mufflers sound. They have clips with cats, with no cats, x-pipes, h-pipes etc. After listening to them, I am a big fan of the magnaflows. I have had Flowmasters in the past, they are classic mustang, but also not very unique. There are others that will make more power as well. Good Luck

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/

Chris
02-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the links. Man, what a variety of sound that can be had. Decisions, decisions. :??:

Shockwave6
02-23-2003, 09:06 PM
I also went with flowmasters same part number as above. Sounds agressive but not too loud. I probably will add and x pipe in the future.

StangCrazy
02-26-2003, 12:38 AM
This guy is the one that had a 2000 Mustang V6, got only 7400 in trade for it, paid 5K over MSRP, and bought a Mach I. I can't believe that he already put mufflers on the **** thing. I wonder if he will cut the back out like he did on his other V6 and race it around town. Someone should ask him about the race he got into with a Mustang GT and the GT waxed him. And I also see that he wants to put a chip in the car already and all he has done is aftermarket mufflers ? Jeesh....get some more mods first then MAYBE think about a chip :SMASH: