PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple + K&N Oil Filter

azureT03
02-07-2005, 06:36 AM
In the very near future I plan on putting in some 5W20 rp and getting a k&n oil fliter. Is royal purple bogus on there claim of 5 hp when changing the oil or is it for real.

gfong
02-07-2005, 06:53 AM
I was also interested in the question. What I found is that they always say "over conventional motor oil" Meaning mineral based.

So if I chooose Mobil 1 is RP still claiming this??

chime in all.

azureT03
02-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Becuase I am just running with Motocraft at this time.

BlackMach
02-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I've posted this before, but I tried that very same combo of oil/filter before and I didn't like it. I feel it was most likely the Royal Purple 5w20 oil, but at start-up the engine made an awful clacking sound (Lifters?) for the first 5 seconds or so, something I've NEVER heard before using Motorcraft 5w20 blend oil.

One thing I did notice though was after adding the Royal Purple, the engine did seem to rev-up faster. After about 500 miles I couldn't take the clacking at start-up anymore and made the switch to Mobil 1 0w20 and a Motorcraft oil filter. One other thing I noticed was when changing out the Royal Purple, the oil was really black, even after only 500 or so miles. All I know is after making the switch to Mobil 1 0w20, I've never heard the "clacking" sound since. Just my two cents worth.

funk
02-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I love the stuff.

wigsite
02-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Horsepower TV did a before and after dyno run on I think a Z28. They gained 8 hp after switching out ALL fluids to Royal Purple, oil, radiator, rear end etc..

crimsongt
02-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I think the oil helps not sure about K&N oil filter. I use motorcraft oil filter and 5W20 RP oil and have been for a while. My engine felt a little smoother at idle, as far as gains I have no clue.

BLUEOVALBOY
02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I use Royal Purple 5w30 and motorcraft filter no problems at all.

mach1fan35
02-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I've posted this before, but I tried that very same combo of oil/filter before and I didn't like it. I feel it was most likely the Royal Purple 5w20 oil, but at start-up the engine made an awful clacking sound (Lifters?) for the first 5 seconds or so, something I've NEVER heard before using Motorcraft 5w20 blend oil.

One thing I did notice though was after adding the Royal Purple, the engine did seem to rev-up faster. After about 500 miles I couldn't take the clacking at start-up anymore and made the switch to Mobil 1 0w20 and a Motorcraft oil filter. One other thing I noticed was when changing out the Royal Purple, the oil was really black, even after only 500 or so miles. All I know is after making the switch to Mobil 1 0w20, I've never heard the "clacking" sound since. Just my two cents worth.Mustangs are prone to this. It is known as the dreaded clack attack. :LAUGH: Actually its probably piston slap not the lifters. The royal purple would probably have less tendency bleed out of the lifters than Mobil1. Mobil1 in my opinion has a superior film retention than most oils. There have been more tests done on this over the years than you can shake a stick at. All the little wannabe companies have been riding Mobil1's coat tails for years. They wrote the book on synthetic base stock. The blackness you noticed is misinterpreted by most people as the oil doing its job and its the dirt it traps. Thats true to a small extent. It is actually in a large part the polymers breaking down. Black is a good indicator of a poor performer. One of the reasons you will get better dyno results with some oils over others are because of the same phenomena. When the polymer chains break down the viscosity diminishes and the result is less film thickness on the mating surfaces. Hence, bigger tolerances and short term Horsepower gains. Mobil1 oil has been proven time and again to have superior viscosity retention to EVERY oil manufactured to this date, period. That is why GM (corvette), Dodge (viper) and Porsche install Mobil1 in there cars from the factory. So all you Royal Purple guys....Heres the challenge. When your Mach gets to 200,000 miles come see me and we will tear our engines down together and spec em out and see who wins. I already know the answer. :yeh: Go here http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx#Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs1

Jason04Mach
02-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Usually lifter noise is from oil draining out of your oil filter, I dont think an oil would call lifter noise at startup.

davidsmach
02-26-2005, 01:13 AM
my two cents,i made the switch to royal purple 10w30 at 500 miles.i noticed no difference in performance but if i am revving to 6000rpm i wanted a good oil.i have changed it at 2000miles with no blackness.this is the stuff they race with and they dont race 3000 miles before changing the oil.mobil 1 got a bad rap early on but they changed and it is good oil also.as for a better oil i would say they are the same.i was thinking about mobil 1 0w20 in the future but i am leary about the ow,call me old fashion.i have seen bearing stress test and have seen synthetics fail.the best oil i have seen in the stress test is chevron delo 15w40 for diesels.the second best was kendall.the synthetics faired about the same as conventional oils but this is just one aspect of there purpose.oils that pass the manufactures specs will not void warranty or do harm to your engine.that said change your oil more often if you spend alot of time at high rpms.

MA-MACH1
02-26-2005, 01:19 AM
I just swapped to Mobil 1 oW20 at 2000 miles - I'll get it changed again at 5000, then I'll go to 5000 mile intervals. A large part of my driving is fairly gentle around town stuff where I rarely get over 2500 rpm and I think a full synth oil is up to that.