PDA

View Full Version : dog ran across my hood...

04SPRMACH
01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Thats right, my doggon dog jumped on my freakin hood, found out is was waxed, and dugg and scratched his way up. It was cold outside where I live, so my wife let the beast into the garage for the night, and it demolished my hood.

There are scratches everywhere, mostly on the passenger side. Some are deep, like past the paint, and some are buffable. I dont know what to do!!
The first words out of my wifes mouth were, and I quote; "are you going to get it repainted or something?, we cant afford that right now!!!".

Sweet Mother of Baby Jesus----- I thought I was going to spontaniously combust I was so hot. I think I want to murder the dog!! I'm not kidding!! My car turned one year old this weekend, and it gets all scratched up by a dumb beast. :grr: :grr:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????? What now??????????????????????????

Jim H.
01-24-2005, 12:34 PM
That's got to be hard to look at.

How much do you like that dog?

04DSG Mach
01-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Thats really sux, I'm sorry to hear that. I would have no idea what to do next.

Mustangdude
01-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear about that. You may be able to get out those scratches in the clearcoat. Those that are deeper will be a bigger problem. My wife and I had a huge disagreement about the same subject. It was going to be colder than normal and wanted to dogs to stay in the garage. Not going to happen when the Mach is in there. We compromised and they slept in the utility room. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Shakin
01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Why do you guys own pets if your going to keep them outside or even in the garage? Just wondering?

MattN03
01-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Maybe if someone is letting their dog stay in the garage with their Mach, they could at least put a car cover on the car...I'd be very upset too, so I wish you the best. The dog would be gone however....

merfsiu
01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Why do you guys own pets if your going to keep them outside or even in the garage? Just wondering?
:stupid:

04SPRMACH
01-24-2005, 02:16 PM
As far as the car cover goes, its a must now!! I'm going to get one!!!
As far as the dogs being outside, well their dogs and thats where they belong. The only reason they came into the garage is because my wife is soft hearted and if I wanted any that night... well, you know the rest.
Wolfs, ceyotes, dingos and all those other worthless focking dogs live outside just fine, so our dogs can do it too. Even in the **** snow--- I'll admit maybe not without a doggie house. ... I wash the car and see just how bad the scratches are after some rubbing and buffing. :headbang:

merfsiu
01-24-2005, 02:34 PM
As far as the dogs being outside, well their dogs and thats where they belong.

The question wasnt why do you keep them outside, it was why do you own dogs if you cant be bothered to have them in the house. My neighbors have dogs and they also keep them outside, whenever i go outside at night all you can hear are those dogs CRYING all night. Poor things sound like they are being tortured.

mach460
01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Get rid of the dog. :devil:

04SPRMACH
01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Well then Mrs. MERFSIU,

I happen to have a dog in need of a home. He's half lab and half Kangaroo. He's very adept in jumping over fences and slaughtering the neighbors chickens, turkeys and hens. He can also custom etch some designs in the hood and fenders of your Mach. A bleeding heart like yourself might be quite fond of an animal of this caliber. FREE!!! And I'll deliver!!! Dont bother keeping him within your fenceline, even with a electric fence; cause he'll just power through it. The reason your neighbors dogs cry is because people like yourself, and my wife baby the darn things. I'm done talking about the dog...

I have ordered some touchup paint from ford, and plan on trying my hand at touchup. Or should I do the whole insurance thing? I wonder if it will raise my rates?

Lonestar 7
01-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Sell the dog to a chevy owner or a ricer!

Tony Alonso
01-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Can you take some pictures and post them here? It might help people advise you on getting the hood repainted or just buffed out.

merfsiu
01-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Well then Mrs. MERFSIU,

I happen to have a dog in need of a home. He's half lab and half Kangaroo. He's very adept in jumping over fences and slaughtering the neighbors chickens, turkeys and hens. He can also custom etch some designs in the hood and fenders of your Mach. A bleeding heart like yourself might be quite fond of an animal of this caliber. FREE!!! And I'll deliver!!! Dont bother keeping him within your fenceline, even with a electric fence; cause he'll just power through it. The reason your neighbors dogs cry is because people like yourself, and my wife baby the darn things. I'm done talking about the dog...

I have ordered some touchup paint from ford, and plan on trying my hand at touchup. Or should I do the whole insurance thing? I wonder if it will raise my rates?

Karma's a B*tch eh? Your the one with a messed up hood. :LAUGH:

04SPRMACH
01-24-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm sure Karma had alot to do with it. :stupid: :yes:

I'll take some pictures tonight.

partbreaker
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I have 2 stupid labs that get on my nerves everyday, and they're always wrecking somthing in my prized home. My wifes an animal vet tech.and their her hobby, no dogs-no MACH1. Whats a man to do, I deal with it...

mach1fan35
01-25-2005, 04:58 AM
The question wasnt why do you keep them outside, it was why do you own dogs if you cant be bothered to have them in the house. My neighbors have dogs and they also keep them outside, whenever i go outside at night all you can hear are those dogs CRYING all night. Poor things sound like they are being tortured.
I stand in complete total support with you on this. I had 3 dogs till a year ago this Christmas when one had to be put down. He was a 120 pound Giant Siberian Husky. Only 2 breeders in the western hemisphere. He lived outside his whole life with his buddy my 110 pound Akita. They are both very hardy cold weather dogs. But I put in a dedicated Wood garden shed with power and a doggie door. They have insulation and electric heat in winter and air conditioning in the summer. They use it when they want and if they want to lay outside they can. The Akita is a little lonely at times but My house mutt goes out to play with her at least 20 times a day.

I cant tolerate people that cant deal with the consequences of pet ownership. I have had a number of cars scratched by my dogs over the years and I live with it. I once had a Lab that I locked up in the garage and he had a bad case of seperation anxiety and clawed through a solid oak door to get back in with his pack members. I appreciated his fondness for me as I replaced the door. When you live in CA there is no excuse not to put the car outside to keep rover from jumping on the car. I dont think the starlight would have faded the paint.

If I had to, I could burn all my possesions. Including the Mach. But as I walked away, My dogs my Kids and my Wife would be at my side.

Roush380R
01-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I think you should have it completely repainted, it sounds like the scratches would not touch up well and you would not be satisfied with the results 100%.

My dogs are part of the family and stay in the house and love rides in the car, I think they respect it enough not to damage it. (at least they better).

Good luck with the fix.

Canoman
01-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear about this. I have two young labs. Just about to finish building their nice, insulated doghouse. They stay outside in the back yard during the day while we're at work. When we come home, they come in the house with us. When we go to bed, they sleep in crates (wire kennels) in the ex-breakfast-now-dog-nook. They liked to jump on the back door, so I put up a piece of plexiglass to protect it.

While the doghouse has been in progress, the mach has slept outside. I'm not one to take my mach to shows and I'm not keeping it mint/low miles, so I'm alright with leaving it outside when I have to. I can understand that other people are more worried about their paint and don't want to leave it outside at all, though.

I would certainly look into a substantial car cover. My dad has a cover for his '72 Porsche 914 that would never stand up to my dogs jumping on it with their claws. I haven't looked for a car cover, myself, but I would think you could probably get one that could hold up. If not, you might look at a normal one and then sew a big patch of cordura (or something similar) on it over the hood and trunk.

As far as repairing the paint, you'll most likely have to have it repainted to be completely happy with it. Since money is tight for you at the moment, your plan to try touching it up with Ford touch up paint sounds good. This should tide you over until you can afford to have it repainted.

If you go the insurance route, it's possible that it could raise your rates. You'd just have to check with your agent before filing. Might also take a look at your homeowner's insurance since the car was inside the house at the time.

Another thing to consider is the treatment of your dog's claws. My uncle has had labs and dachshunds for years, and he rounds off their claws with a cordless dremel tool. He uses a sanding attachment and grinds them down until they're rounded. It might take the dog a few times to get used to it, but it might be worth trying. It MIGHT reduce damage caused by future incidents. No guarantees, though.

Good luck!

04SPRMACH
01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I will get the ford touch-up paint and see how it goes. Turns out though; I washed it last night, and then waxed it well and the scratches vitually disappeared. You can see a few of them, but it came out pretty darn good. My buudy thought that since the car was waxed before the dog jumped on, that it sort of protected the paint, and most of the damage was from the old wax getting scratched. It looks OK right now, there are some that you can still see, but most look to me like they can be buffed out.?

blk04mach1
01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
i love dogs there delicious!!!! :notsure:

MattN03
01-25-2005, 09:52 PM
It looks OK right now, there are some that you can still see, but most look to me like they can be buffed out.?.

Go over to Meguiar's Online Forum (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums) as post some pics of the damage. I bet you could get some really good suggestions to buff out the problem. I've been amazed at some of the scuffs Meguiar's has removed from my fiance's car.

surfnet
01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
If I had to, I could burn all my possesions. Including the Mach. But as I walked away, My dogs my Kids and my Wife would be at my side.
:THUMBSUP:

NoMoreGT
01-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Another thing to consider is the treatment of your dog's claws. My uncle has had labs and dachshunds for years, and he rounds off their claws with a cordless dremel tool. He uses a sanding attachment and grinds them down until they're rounded. It might take the dog a few times to get used to it, but it might be worth trying. It MIGHT reduce damage caused by future incidents. No guarantees, though.

Good luck!

:surprise: I would love to see the dogs face when you got near it with a Dremel sander! I'd be wearing some huge leather gloves as well :notsure:

Canoman
01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
:surprise: I would love to see the dogs face when you got near it with a Dremel sander! I'd be wearing some huge leather gloves as well :notsure:

When I've seen him do it to his dogs, they don't seem to care at all. Of course, he's really big into competitive obedience training, so he could probably get his dogs to tolerate more than a lot of people.

E-MACH
02-13-2005, 08:19 PM
I would take this opportunity to paint the hood semi-flat black. I'm going to do it in the Spring because it looks so much cooler (retro) than the sticker stripes we get from the factory. My 2¢. Oh, pardon the dog.

Thats right, my doggon dog jumped on my freakin hood, found out is was waxed, and dugg and scratched his way up. It was cold outside where I live, so my wife let the beast into the garage for the night, and it demolished my hood.

There are scratches everywhere, mostly on the passenger side. Some are deep, like past the paint, and some are buffable. I dont know what to do!!
The first words out of my wifes mouth were, and I quote; "are you going to get it repainted or something?, we cant afford that right now!!!".

Sweet Mother of Baby Jesus----- I thought I was going to spontaniously combust I was so hot. I think I want to murder the dog!! I'm not kidding!! My car turned one year old this weekend, and it gets all scratched up by a dumb beast. :grr: :grr:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????? What now??????????????????????????

Ford-O-Matic
02-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Get yourself a "Standard Poodle" and enjoy life!
One of the smartest dogs in their class, and they behave themselves
around people and cars. Good watch dogs too.
And the best thing is they don't shed. :rolleyses