PDA

View Full Version : Hibernating???

chick's_stang
02-04-2003, 09:36 PM
I figured that I would start a thread like this to see how many of ya'll are out there that are proud owners of a new Mach 1 but CAN'T DRIVE IT BECAUSE OF ALL THE ______ SNOW.

Our baby just arrived to us on 1/21/03 in Rochester, NY , just 2.6 miles old (we've had over 100 inches of snow so far this year). The dealer was nice enought to flat bed it for free to it's den.

We have only had the pleasure (believe me it's better than listening to some guy telling us it will be here in a month) of starting it up and reving it a bit. We are getting quite anxious and are quite temped to take it out when the roads are dry.

How many of you have driven your car on salty roads?

Tony Alonso
02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
I have had it out in the snow. It is my daily driver. I have washed salt off of the car twice so far. I did leave it in the garage for 10 days (drove my wife's car) when we got our worst snow here in Cincinnati, OH. Fortunately it was nowhere near 100 inches!

I hope you get a chance to take it out sometime soon...

2003SCJ
02-04-2003, 10:09 PM
I took delivrey on my Mach 1 yesterday, the 3rd. And as of today it is in Hibernation for a few months probably. We don't have any snow on the roads up here anymore(In Alaska) just lots of rain and wet sand left over. I don't think we have ever had a warmer winter than this one. IT WAS 50 degrees yesterday and today!!! And raining very hard today.
My Mach 1 is parked inside until the roads dry up and clean up. I have had it two days, and have washed it twice. And it was embaressingly dirty!!!!!! You can't drive a half a mile up here in the winter and keep your car clean. I'm serious, If you wash you car anywhere else but home...............it will be dirty(AND I MEAN FILTHY!!!!!!) by the time you get it home. Oh well,
I wasn't planning on driving this car during the winter anyway. And just because there is no snow, that does not mean I am going to change my mind. I am not stupid, and intend to take very good care of this car, because after driving it for a day, I am very confident it will be with me until I die.
I can wait until summer to drive it if it means keeping this car nice.
I've waited this long right?

Mikestang
02-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I am also in upstate ny I have nothad my car out in about 3 weeks the roads are just to wet.

I have taken it out on a few days when the roads are dry I mean so you really dont need a wash.

I did bring it to work one day and got cought in 1/2 inchof snow but I got the car home and have not had it out since

XS HP
02-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Drove home from the dealership and once the next day. It has been in the garage ever since. The roads here in PA look like dirt roads with all of the crud on them.

( I do sit in the car quite often though! )

Tioga
02-05-2003, 04:25 PM
I FEEL YOUR PAIN. NOT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE THE MACH 1. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST WINTER WEATHER IN YEARS IN UPSTATE NY. I PICKED MY MACH 1 UP ON 12/13/02, THE LAST TIME I GOT TO DRIVE IT WAS 12/24. BEEN GARAGED EVER SINCE(241 MILES). THE ROADS ARE LOADED WITH SALT, AND WHERE I LIVE THERE IS STILL A GOOD 6-8 INCHES ON THE GROUND. I DID GIVE IT A THOROUGH WASH BEFORE I PUT IT AWAY. WARM DRY WEATHER WILL SURE BE A WELCOME SIGHT...IF IT EVER COMES.
HANG IN THERE :THUMBSUP: :THUMBSUP:

WarpdSpazm
02-05-2003, 05:18 PM
I don't know whether to admire you guys for being determined or say you're crazy.... I'm in NYC and have 2300 on mine... I had it covered when it's clean (as I have no garage) but have been caught in snow and rain... It's not gonna kill you. I've rinsed her off in 25 degrees and flurries with a bucket of hot water and clean soft rags... (rubber gloves keep your hands free of frostbite) But to leave it in because it might get dirty? I was like that until day 3 when i found my first scratch.... Clean it often keep a good coat of wax and leave the TC on in wet conditions and it will be fine..... It's a car, not a 5 day old child.. It spent weeks in the elements in dearborn.

If you can get traction on the road, drive it. you only live once! and you never know for how long

MACHDADDY
02-05-2003, 05:28 PM
DID I HEAR RIGHT? A CAR IN ALASKA? IM 2 HOURS FROM DETROIT AND ALL I EVER HEAR IS CLEAN UNSCHEDULED.

mvp
02-05-2003, 05:58 PM
whats clean unscheduled??

amach1
02-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Picked mine up from the dealer on 12/26/02,with 4.1 miles on it,put 8 more on driving home.It's been a sleep ever since,one
bright note if I wait till 3/27/03 to drive it,they take $400.00
off the insurance premium for the year.As bad as these P.A.
roads are I think I can wait.

amach1 azure blue #368701

XS HP
02-05-2003, 07:42 PM
I think I got the same deal on the insurance. Dec, Jan, Feb?

aloe03
02-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Add me to the hibernation list. I've already got a small paint chip where a rock hit just above the wheel on the way home from buying my Mach. :!!:

03MachPonyGrl
02-05-2003, 08:52 PM
OK, I need to ask a really dumb question? :SMASH:

That's all I've been seeing lately in these forums... how you can't drive your Machs because of the snow. Well how in the world do ya'll get to work? Do you have another car, take a train, bus, etc. Enquiry minds need to know!! I agree with WarpdSpazm, drive it you only live once and may I add to that enjoy it and feel the power of this beautiful machine!!!

I am soooo glad I live in Florida!:cool:

Mikestang
02-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 03MachPonyGrl

That's all I've been seeing lately in these forums... how you can't drive your Machs because of the snow. Well how in the world do ya'll get to work? Do you have another car, take a train, bus, etc. Enquiry minds need to know!! I agree with WarpdSpazm, drive it you only live once and may I add to that enjoy it and feel the power of this beautiful machine!!!

I drive a 1986 buick skyhawk to work while my 30k mustang sits in the garadge

fastyellowstang
02-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Last Saturday I read the obituary of a fairly close acquaintance who had loads of money but worked like a dog until his dying day. He certainly didn't spend much on having fun.

You can't (and won't) take it with you, not even your Mach 1!

When my Mach 1 eventually shows up I will drive it all year round - that's what it was built for!

Tioga
02-06-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by 03MachPonyGrl

Well how in the world do ya'll get to work? Do you have another car, take a train, bus, etc. Enquiry minds need to know!!!

I drive a 1994 4x4 Dodge pick up daily to work ect......... and you are soooo LUCKY you live where the weather is nice most all the time.
:cool:

Tioga
02-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by WarpdSpazm
I don't know whether to admire you guys for being determined or say you're crazy.... I'm in NYC and have 2300 on mine... you only live once! and you never know for how long

If I lived in a metro - city area I would have alot more miles on my mach 1. As the streets are normaly bare & dry except durning the ocassional storms. But I live in "rural NY" out here in the sticks in some spots they keep about 3 - 4 inches of a sand calcium salt mixture on the roads that can rust up any thing. Thats why I try to wait until its dry - warm(above 40) problem is it hasnt been above 40 very often this winter(I think twice) where I am. Beleive me once this weather brakes I will probaly take a day off work just to drive enjoy ect the Mach.... thats how desperate i am. If your ever in the southeren tier(Binghamton - Elmira area) let me know!

Tioga:THUMBSUP:

XS HP
02-06-2003, 07:07 AM
I drive a Toyota Corrola with 128,000mi on it, my wife drives our F150 4x4, and the stang stays in the garage until the rain washes all of this crap off of the roads. Like Tioga I live in a rural area and have the same problem with the sand mixture. Besides rusting the car and eating the paint tiny rocks from the vehicle in front of you are thrown up into your hood and windshield.

amach1
02-06-2003, 07:00 PM
How do I get to work?I'm one of those rare people that the
insurance companys love so much.Beside my mach1,I have a
67 mustang gt,69 cougar eliminator,(53 olds which will be for sale in the spring)95 grand am,and 2000 concord.I'm waiting for the
paper work on a 98 ranger pickup.Getting to work has never been
a problem,paying the insurance is a different story (just kidding).
The insurance company really loved it when I had two teenagers
at home.But now its just my wife and I,like I told my insurance
agent I can only drive one at a time,they don't like it but its a
pretty hard point to argue on their side.

amach1

CrissyCobra
02-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Mine comes out of hypernation on Feb. 23! It's been a loooong
3 months! Mine isn't a daily driver or a summer driver---it's
a race car and the season starts Feb. 23! Woo-hoo!

I have absolutely no desire to drive my Mach in this snow
and salt crap! All I need is some idiot to slide into my car!
I would be thrown in jail! I'll just enjoy my car for the next
10 months! :THUMBSUP:

Oh, my winter car is an 81 Toyota Cressida---ugly, I'd like
to see someone top that piece of crap! :D

OHMach1
02-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WarpdSpazm
If you can get traction on the road, drive it. you only live once! and you never know for how long

Hear, hear!! Just wash (and I mean wash it well) it every now and then, and it'll be fine. In twenty years somebody will be able to roll a perfectly preserved 03 Mach 1 out of their garage, but it won't be me, and I'd be willing to bet that I will have enjoyed mine more!!:D

However, when the snow is heavy here in Columbus (and I lived in Rochester, NY for 4 years, and Minneapolis for 2, so yes, I realize it's never really heavy here :rolleyes: ) I tend to keep the Mach off the roads -- not because I want to avoid dirt/salt, but because the other drivers around here are complete morons!! I keep it in the garage because I don't want to get smacked by some idiot who doesn't know how to countersteer!:!!:

OHMach1
02-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CrissyCobra
Mine comes out of hypernation on Feb. 23! It's been a loooong
3 months! Mine isn't a daily driver or a summer driver---it's
a race car and the season starts Feb. 23! Woo-hoo!

Hey, Crissy, you should let us know when and where you'll be racing the Mach...there may be some of us (like me :D ) who would be interested in coming out and rooting for you!!:THUMBSUP:

CrissyCobra
02-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I'll be racing in Columbus several times this year at the OSU
lot on Ackerman. I'll let you know when they finalize their
schedule......come on out...you may want to try it yourself
or go out on a run with me. :THUMBSUP:

I love taking passengers as long as they use the
Port-A-Pot first! :D

OHMach1
02-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey!!! That's outstanding! I work for OSU, and am situated right at Ackerman and Kenny.:THUMBSUP: You'd be right up the street from me!

And it'd be fantastic to take a run with you; that's great of you to offer, thanks. You're right, I may want to try it myself, but I'd definitely like to experience it with a "pro" behind the wheel first. When you have the schedule, just let me know when. The first round will definitely be on me. :CHEERS:

CrissyCobra
02-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Woo-hoo! Alright, I'll let you know as soon
as the schedule is confirmed! I love the sealed
lot---the car rotates very nicely on it! I'll PM or
e-mail you. You'll be addicted after the first
lap around the course!

Mikestang
02-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by CrissyCobra

Oh, my winter car is an 81 Toyota Cressida---ugly, I'd like
to see someone top that piece of crap! :D

I just WISH my digi cam was working that should be a thread to itself post you P.O.S. here