PDA

View Full Version : Fixin' one thing, breakin' something else...

PapaTango
12-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Went through a thermostat swap (160 for 180 degree) today in preparation for installation of my Predator programming. Got everything bolted back up, refilled the radiator overflow tank, and removed the threaded cap on the crossover pipe to finish refilling with coolant. I guess somehow I torqued the crossover pipe removing the cap and created a leak where the two sections of the crossover pipe are joined. I could actually move the two halves of the crossover pipe slightly by grabbing both ends and pulling, which made it leak even worse. So back on the garage floor to put the 180 degree thermostat back in so I can take it to the dealer. Drove to the dealer with the leak but it never got over the normal temp reading on the gauge. The dealer's microfiche diagram shows the crossover pipe as a 1 piece unit with a couple of seals where it joins back into (I guess) the heads. Doesn't seem like a very well designed piece. The Parts Manager located a replacement piece in Memphis, TN, so hopefully they will have the part in by early next week and back to me by Wednesday. Looks like the garage will be a little empty over the weekend. Gives me an excuse to do a little tidying up out there.

Oh, by the way...Merry Christmas!! :MADNOEL:

jbrad88
12-24-2004, 08:23 AM
I truly understand. The joy of modifications can be quickly tempered by the reality of the parts you are working with. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it does not...

good luck with it and Merry Christmas to you too...

04SPRMACH
12-24-2004, 11:05 AM
All you need to do is pull the two halfs apart and put them back together with silicone. Works like a charm, just spread some around the o-ring and put back together and let set.

PapaTango
12-24-2004, 08:31 PM
All you need to do is pull the two halfs apart and put them back together with silicone. Works like a charm, just spread some around the o-ring and put back together and let set.

Not the problem, bro. I got plenty of practice yesterday taking the thermostat housing apart and putting it back together again. The leak was from the metal crossover pipe at the front of the engine that flows coolant from (to?) the heads. Appearently the pipe is manufactured out of two separate pieces of pipe and press-fitted together. Mine leaked were the two sections fit together, however there is nothing at the junction to "tighten up".

Mustangdude
12-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Should have her back up and running next week. Let us know how the predator tuning goes. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL..... :santa: