PDA

View Full Version : Good news about 460 Head unit!

LGBRofTWFame
12-22-2004, 05:01 AM
YOU CAN USE BURNED CD'S!

I had burned CD's in my cd player when I wrecked. The CD player completely jammed. I took it to Ford and told them. They asked if I had put any labels on the CD's. I said no, I was too lazy. They said my laziness saved me, because LABELS ON BURNED CD'S VOID THE WARRENTY, NOT THE CD'S THEMSELVES! They ordered me a new head unit and said they'd get my CD's back to me as soon as they could.

SO DON'T BE AFRAID! :yeh:

Tony Alonso
12-22-2004, 05:06 AM
I actually have a mailer from Ford that specifically says "no labels". It was sent some months after I got the car originally. It was about the size of a CD case and had a picture of one on the outside. Glad to hear your situation will work out!

DSG2003Mach1
12-22-2004, 06:47 AM
i never got any notice about that but from what Ive read labels on cds/dvds are a bad thing.

machths
12-22-2004, 07:31 AM
i never got any notice about that but from what Ive read labels on cds/dvds are a bad thing.

Me neither. If I have a problem I'll probably just replace the head unit anyway.

EZMachN
12-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I've never had any problem with burnt cd's in my player...Are these labels your talking a/b like the aftermarket stickers where you create designs/text to add to the cd?

DSG2003Mach1
12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
ya, those stick on labels are bad news. Ive heard about them starting to peel back up when they got hot in the head unit (they get much hotter than you might think with those internal amps). Ive also heard about the extra weight of the labels screwing up DVD players as well.

03whitemach
12-22-2004, 10:49 AM
I had that problem with my GT. The wheels that feed the disc out can't grip on the label. At least what it sounded like. I did manage to get them out on my own, but it was a tough lesson. DON"T DO IT!!!!

04VAMach1
12-22-2004, 09:55 PM
ya, those stick on labels are bad news. Ive heard about them starting to peel back up when they got hot in the head unit (they get much hotter than you might think with those internal amps). Ive also heard about the extra weight of the labels screwing up DVD players as well.
The head unit amp only powers the tweeters. It shouldn't get that hot with that kind of load, but something does get pretty warm in there(maybe something with the changer design). The other amps are external and mounted near the speakers.

Those labels are bad news though. Unless they are perfectly centered, they can throw off the balance of the CD and cause problems with the drive. They also peel and bubble and just aren't worth the trouble. I use a Sharpie on my CDs.

2k4mach
12-23-2004, 12:00 AM
ive never had a problem with burnt cd's but i never put a label on them, i just get a permanent marker and write my own label, come to think of it i dont think ive ever had a store bought cd in mine

Walt
01-04-2005, 03:08 AM
I actually have a mailer from Ford that specifically says "no labels".

Yea, now that you mention it, I remember getting that special warning "Letter" from Ford in the mail a long, long, time ago.