PDA

View Full Version : Cat Back Vs. Full Exhaust Replacement

POLSMACH03
09-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Couple of questions.

Gonna go with Magnaflow to replace OEM.

1. What would be the cost difference (ball park) between a cat back system and full system replacing cats as well.

2. Will I be happy going with the less expensive cat back system?? Not looking for heavy HP gain just a nice sounding exhaust and general improved performance (flow) and appearance.

Thank you.

TRMach1
09-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by POLSMACH03
Couple of questions.

Gonna go with Magnaflow to replace OEM.

1. What would be the cost difference (ball park) between a cat back system and full system replacing cats as well.

2. Will I be happy going with the less expensive cat back system?? Not looking for heavy HP gain just a nice sounding exhaust and general improved performance (flow) and appearance.

Thank you.
Pols, just curious why you want to change out the exhaust system without having even heard the system that comes in the car? I've heard it and it sounds pretty sweet to me. I'm sure you can gain a couple of hp by changing it out, but I think you'll have to go some to improve on the growl this thing puts out in the mid to high range. IMHO.

StangRay
09-08-2002, 12:37 AM
I don't think we can say for certainty that an exhaust change is warrented until we know exactly what we have for an exhaust. It could be that the exhaust system is very close to the performance level of an aftermarket. Personally I am going to wait to see what it is. Thats the thing about this Mach 1... we can't really make any firm decisions until we get it. But it sure is fun looking for stuff!

Does anybody know if the xhaust is X, H, or straight without a cross-over bridge? I still haven't gotten an answer to my question about the exhaust manifolds as well. It must be that nobody knows yet.

Mach_Speed
09-08-2002, 05:00 AM
I can't decide on Magnaflow or Magna Pack cat-back myself but you are still looking at an improvement over stock! I have seen between 5-15 HP increase when putting a Cat-back on 01 Cobra's. Same with an X/H-pipe but the sound will change a lot more if you have both! If you put an offroad system on it will be a lot louder.

The best price I have seen on the Magnaflow cat-back is around $420! Prices range between $150 for cheap and $450 for stainless steel good quality X or H-pipes!

I am not sure about shorty headers but BBK long tubes are about $500 and the high flow cat H-pipe is about $300. Plus I would recommend having them installed, between $600-800 at a good shop! You are looking at 10-20+ HP/TQ with long tubes! Plus if you plan on Supercharging in the future, you are looking at big gains with the long tubes!

So ball park about $2,000 installed for full system headers back!

Versus: $400-600 for just the cat-back!

FL Mach 1
09-08-2002, 10:13 AM
I believe that the Mach has an H pipe as part of the stock system. I thought that I had seen that a Magna Pack catback and X pipe ran about $1000 for the whole thing. I'll make my decision after I have driven the car for a little while as the last Mustang I had was extremely loud. had an O/R H pipe and Flowmaster two chambers with no tailpipes. Long trips in the car were deafening.

On the subject of headers, from what I have heard from the Cobra owners changing out headers on a the 4.6 DOHC is a nightmare. Just some things to think about. ;)

DUSTKEG
09-08-2002, 10:51 AM
Be careful when replacing the cats. Here in Wisconsin, it is illegal to tamper with properly working catalytic converters. I would imagine each state is different. It is one of those things that is only illegal if you get caught!:D As far as headers are concerned, I talked to my speed shop guy, and he said installing headers on the 4V is difficult due to the lack of room in the engine compartment. I guess it is a lot different than the ole 5.0s, since the 4V is wider. I personally am planning on leaving the exhaust alone for a while. I have been told by my Ford dealer that the cat back on the Machs will be stainless steel. Has anyone else heard this?

MidLifeC
09-08-2002, 01:11 PM
I posted some information earlier that I gleaned from other forums. A 2001 Cobra gained 20 HP from cat backs alone, only 1 HP from catted X pipe. Check my previous posts in the Exhaust thread.

Some have gotten the Magnaflow cat back for the Cobra as low as $380.

I also posted a picture of the back underside of an '03 Mach 1, if you download and enlarge you can see stock mufflers and H pipe.

The pic also shows some rust on the exhaust system, can it be stainless?

Hope this helps.

Personally, I will wait and see how the car sounds and performs before I make any changes. I have heard the prototype, and wouldn't mind a little louder sound. OEM's are limited as to how loud a car can be.

cobrajg
09-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Magnaflow catback - http://www.houstonperformance.com/exhaust.htm $369.99.

Not sure if the 99-00 GT catback they have is the 15671 or not, but it should be. It is 2.5 inch exhaust with 3.5 inch tips, versus the 2.25 inch that the mach1 will come with. As long as this engine is like the 99/01, it loves bigger exhaust!

The biggest problem the 99/01 cobra guys are seeing with long tubes is if they need to do clutch or trans work. They have to remove 1 or both to do the work.

BULLITT680
09-08-2002, 06:23 PM
Hooker Headers now has a set of longtubes that eliminates the problems with working on the clutch or trans. I can't remember the numbers but they are available in black painted or silver ceramic coated.

mgk2
09-09-2002, 09:47 AM
What I see and hear here makes me:??: Either we will be very pleased or we need to rethink the factory set-up?
What I what to hear from the cobra owner member of our group was what was the cost versus the dealer hassle for warranty repairs!!:eek:
So please tell all of inexperienced what we could or might expect!!
Mike

POLSMACH03
09-09-2002, 10:11 AM
After taking all this in (thank you all) if I do anything it will only be a cat back setup.

My main concern is improving the flow with the deeper tone an added plus. Don't plan to do anything right away though just wanted to get some opinions from the experts here.

Thanks again.......

POLS

MidLifeC
09-23-2002, 08:51 PM
Just browsed Team Shinoda's web site, they are selling the Manaflow catback for $380. How about a group puchase? Some are already conspiring to purchase the louvers.

Anyone interesed?

FL Mach 1
09-23-2002, 08:59 PM
One of the guys I know with an 01 Cobra put a Bassani catback on his car. Sounds pretty good. not cheap though. I really think that IF, and its a big if, I change it out I will go with the MagnaPacks. I like a nice loud car. Gotta advertise what your sellin. ;)

cobrajg
09-23-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by mgk2
What I see and hear here makes me:??: Either we will be very pleased or we need to rethink the factory set-up?
What I what to hear from the cobra owner member of our group was what was the cost versus the dealer hassle for warranty repairs!!:eek:
Mike

Must not have been paying attention and let this slip by. The only problem I had with warranty work was my off-road h-pipe. All I did was take my car to a different dealer. Basically, you find out if your dealer is mod friendly. If they are then you are golden, if not, find a new one or learn how to take the good with the bad. Upgrade the cat-back, never seen a dealer complain about that, and upgrade your h-pipe to something more free-flowing. If that bothers them, put the stock h-pipe back on before you take it in.

I am sure the sound of the Mach1 is going to be nice, but I like my v8 to sound deeper and louder. So I will be adding my mac o/r h-pipe and the magnaflow cat-back. I would be up for a group purchase!!:THUMBSUP:

Raven0215
10-10-2002, 11:35 PM
I put a borla cat back on my mustang before and I talked to 3 dealers about it before to make sure it wouldn't void my warranty. All three said that it was ok as long as it could still pass an emissions test. I even had to have my stang in to have some oxygen sensors replaced and it didn't cause any problems

mgk2
10-11-2002, 08:20 AM
What a novel idea Get the club together to make a volume purchase;which would give us volume discount,right? :CHEERS:
I wonder if Dave or any other of our founders are pursuing this plan to organize with the major manufactors a club discount! :cool:
If you know any other way to secure a discount I sure would like to hear it.:p

BULLITT680
10-13-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mgk2
Mike

Don't know how I've overlooked this for so long but here's the answer to mgk2's request:

My dealer does not give a hassle on warranty repairs if I replace the Intermediate Pipe and Cat-back.

Putting a set of under-drive pulleys on the engine gives them more concern than replacing the exhaust.

SO; I guess the "cost vs. hassle ratio" in my situation would be:

$380 for Magnaflow Cat-back on Bullitt
PLUS
$390 for Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe on Bullitt
PLUS
$50 Labor Charge for installation
EQUALS
$820...which then contributed to one HUGE GRIN FACTOR due to the sound and increased performance that came out of the Bullitt.

BULLITT680
10-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Regarding whether or not to replace the stock Ford Intermediate Pipe and the Stock Ford Cat-back:

If you take a look at these systems after they have been removed from a car you can then clearly understand the impact that they have on performance.

The Stock Intermediate pipe has four (4) Catalytic Converters that are less than "High Flow" in character; plus the diameter of the tubing is 2.25" instead of the aftermarkets' 2.5".

The stock Cat-back is 2.25" instead of the aftermarkets' 2.5".

Both the Stock Intermediate Pipes and the Stock Cat-backs utilize "Pinch-bends" which reduce the diameter of the tubing everywhere there is a bend.

AND...this is actually what I consider to be the worst culprit in the Stock Systems ability to destroy performance: Look at the way the stock mufflers are made at their inlet and outlets. You will see that the 2.25" size is actually constricted down to what looks to be barely 2" due to some type of process that Ford uses. This is like trying to supply a firehose from your garden hydrant

If you don't want to spend the money to replace the entire system...At the VERY LEAST, replace those goofy restrictive mufflers with some Good Flowing 2.5" inlet/outlet aftermarket units of your choice.

There are 6 to 10 horses to be gained and the 2.5" diameter mufflers slip right over the 2.25" stock pipe for a nice clean weld-in fit.