PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Engine

JLNaramore
01-29-2003, 08:10 PM
I went to move my Mach 1 out of the garage, cranked it up moved it about 50 ft., and left it ideling. It stopped running. Went over to start it back up,-- bang, knock, bang, all kinds of noise coming out of the engine. Called the dealer, they came and towed it to the dealership. Now the dealership and Ford Motor Company are telling me they are going to have to replace the engine. WHAT???? This car only has 318 miles on it, which 85 were on it when I bought it, and the drive home from the dealer was 97 miles. I want to know if anybody else has had any BIG engine problems. The dealership and myself have not yet deceided what we are going to do. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for any input on this.

Jerry

cojo428
01-30-2003, 09:24 PM
DOH !!!!!

Mustang Matt
01-30-2003, 09:31 PM
oh really???
Can we please have more details?? It just seems that some people love to start *****. Is your Mach an auto or 5speed? Was it properly broken in? anything else would help...

Me smells troll says I! argh

MACH & ROLL
01-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Hummm!

02mach1
01-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Sorry see that happen to your Mach1 like that, :(

JBTATE
01-30-2003, 11:12 PM
WHO PUT THE ORIGINAL 85 MILES ON IT????

JLNaramore
01-30-2003, 11:44 PM
To JBTATE, the 85 miles were put on it by the dealership.

1BADMACH1
01-31-2003, 01:27 AM
I hate trolls. Sounds like BS to me.

Mikestang
01-31-2003, 06:24 AM
please post your vin so we can see if other cars produced at that time are having problems

Walt
01-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by JLNaramore
Now the dealership and Ford Motor Company are telling me they are going to have to replace the engine. WHAT????

If something really serious happened to your engine, I would think that replacing it completely would be the best thing for you.

I had the head gaskets go on my last Mustang. Ford replaced them under warranty, but I still worried about indirect and undiscovered damage that might have also occurred to the engine. That might not show up until much later, and would not be covered.

gotmach
01-31-2003, 12:07 PM
ENGINE?????!!!!!????? HOPE TO GOD THIS DOES NOT BECOME A PROBLEM WITH ALL MACHS LATER . SOUNDS LIKE A TIMMING CHAIN GUIDE CAME LOOSE....PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AS SOON AS THEY DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM.:eek:

socalmach1
01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I think the culprite is the dealership! They probably drove it hard those 85 miles!:SMASH:

JLNaramore
01-31-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Walt
If something really serious happened to your engine, I would think that replacing it completely would be the best thing for you.

I had the head gaskets go on my last Mustang. Ford replaced them under warranty, but I still worried about indirect and undiscovered damage that might have also occurred to the engine. That might not show up until much later, and would not be covered.

That is the problem. I don't want a "limited production" Mach 1 without the engine that was put in it at the factory. I want another Mach 1. Now it is making the dealership and Ford Motor Co. see that I want another car. And, what about any long term effects ?

JLNaramore

Chini42
01-31-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Mikestang
please post your vin so we can see if other cars produced at that time are having problems

i am also interested in what your VIN is

JLNaramore
01-31-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Mustang Matt
oh really???
Can we please have more details?? It just seems that some people love to start *****. Is your Mach an auto or 5speed? Was it properly broken in? anything else would help...

Me smells troll says I! argh

I am not trying to start *****. I have bought many new cars in my life and I know the importance of the "break in" period. No hot rodding or stuff like that. The Mach 1 is a 5-speed. There is nothing else to tell. It sat in an enclosed garage and was only driven on the weekends. It was not a daily driver.

JLNaramore

OHMach1
01-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Still no VIN??

It would really be helpful to others to know if they were built around the same time as yours.

Unless, you don't have a VIN, of course...:confused:

JLNaramore
01-31-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Chini42
i am also interested in what your VIN is

The VIN is 1FAFP42R53F344973

JLNaramore

OHMach1
02-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Outstanding! That'll be really helpful to some folks around here...and also set some others' minds at ease. Thanks!:THUMBSUP: :THUMBSUP:

JLNaramore
02-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by gotmach
ENGINE?????!!!!!????? HOPE TO GOD THIS DOES NOT BECOME A PROBLEM WITH ALL MACHS LATER . SOUNDS LIKE A TIMMING CHAIN GUIDE CAME LOOSE....PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AS SOON AS THEY DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM.:eek:

As soon as I know something I will let you know. Thanks for your concern.

JLNaramore

Walt
02-01-2003, 08:13 AM
That is the problem. I don't want a "limited production" Mach 1 without the engine that was put in it at the factory. I want another Mach 1.

Ah, you want a Mach I because it is has a "limited production", but you want Ford to build just one more beyond that to replace yours. :)

BTW, IMHO, when it is all said and done a year and a half from now, the Mach I production quanities will only be "limited" to the number Ford can sell. In other words, buy and own a Mach I because of the enjoyment it gives to you when you drive it.

Mikestang
02-01-2003, 08:21 AM
The VIN is 1FAFP42R53F344973

JLNaramore

Thanks that will be most helpful to the other members pretty far away from mine ill have to cross refernece the build week

OUCH !!!!

344970 - L5 - 52 - M - 11/12/2002
345060 - L5 - 52 - M - 11/11/2002
345170 - Z1 - 72 - M - 11/12/2002
345215 - B7 - 47 - M - 11/20/2002

Putting his car in the same build week as mine !!!!
I am glad I got a good 600 miles on my car.

341070 - D3 - 13 - M - 11/14/2002

rob6773
02-01-2003, 08:46 AM
On Fords changing the engine may not hurt value. On other brands like GM part of the vin is stamped on the block. Last I heard Ford is still not doing this.

bullitt_5135
02-01-2003, 09:00 AM
I would want a new vehicle as well.

On a car like the Mach 1, the numbers should match. This could have an impact on what the car is worth 20 years from now.

Mustang Matt
02-01-2003, 09:02 AM
OK, you sound like a legit owner and have a serious problem.
However, I don't understand how a dealership can say you need a new engine and not give a reason why. hmmmm...
About the engine vin, I do believe there is a way to match the engine to the chasis. I only say this because of a '03 Cobra owner threw a fit when he found out he needed a new engine. I don't believe they came to an agree though.:LAUGH:

Here is the link if you're interested
Need new engine (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29283)

I'm willing to bet that you will not get a new vehicle.:(

JLNaramore
02-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Mustang Matt
OK, you sound like a legit owner and have a serious problem.
However, I don't understand how a dealership can say you need a new engine and not give a reason why. hmmmm...
About the engine vin, I do believe there is a way to match the engine to the chasis. I only say this because of a '03 Cobra owner threw a fit when he found out he needed a new engine. I don't believe they came to an agree though.:LAUGH:

Here is the link if you're interested
Need new engine (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29283)

I'm willing to bet that you will not get a new vehicle.:(

Thanks, I will check out the link.

JLNaramore

Grandmazer
02-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Only have 247 minles on it. Seems to be ok, I'll post if I knotice anything out of the norm. Sorry to hear about your missfortune.

cutter
02-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Grandmazer
Only have 247 minles on it. Seems to be ok, I'll post if I knotice anything out of the norm. Sorry to hear about your missfortune.

Hey grandmazer how do you like that yellow mach??? also how did your dealings with sharp go...I've bought two new fords the last three years but couldn't deal with them, however they do have a good service dept. should have my red mach around the 10th...:D

DWIGHT
02-01-2003, 05:49 PM
400 miles on 366610 in the garage til spring or warm dry roads,
Cutter and grandmazer are you members of indy mustang club?

dwight

zinc yellow 366610

djh0102
02-01-2003, 09:40 PM
JLNaramore,
If I were you, I would tell ford to leave it alone right now and have an expert look at the engine to determine if it was damaged by hard driving or some other mechanical failure. That should let you know what direction to go. As we saw today with the space shuttle, God rest their souls, @#$% happens. In any event, I hope things work out for you in the end. If you can determine it was the dealerships fault, million to one shot there, I would have them put a cobra engine in it. Then buy a mach1 engine with your own money. That way you'll have a cobra engine to have fun with beat to hell and back, then when you sell it just drop the mach1 in it.

Grandmazer
02-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Dealings didn't go too bad, but could have been better if you know what i mean. Love the car though. Hope everything goes well with your dealings. I used to work with Andy before he got big. He's a pretty good guy, or atleast back then. Would like to get some Indy Machs togather when weather gets better for a few picts. Hope you can make it.
Not a member of club. But would consider it.

345215 - B7 - 47 - M - 11/20/2002. 247 miles. No major probs. yet..

cutter
02-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Dwight, no not a member of any clubs, to be honest this is my first mustang, I live on the S.E. side of Indy (wanamaker area) should be built this week and maybe take delivery the following week or the one after that. already got finanacing in place so it's just picking it up when I get the call.:D

Starsky
02-03-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Walt
Ah, you want a Mach I because it is has a "limited production", but you want Ford to build just one more beyond that to replace yours. :)

BTW, IMHO, when it is all said and done a year and a half from now, the Mach I production quanities will only be "limited" to the number Ford can sell. In other words, buy and own a Mach I because of the enjoyment it gives to you when you drive it.

Walt, who kicked your cat today?

JLNaramore
02-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Here is the latest on the car. I have finally heard from the dealership about my Mach 1. The timing had slipped, therefore the pistons were in the wrong positionin the cylinder chamber when the spark plug fired. As you know, this will "mess" an engine up. The dealership said they could put me a new engine in the car, if that is what I wanted. I told them I wanted a new car. We will see what happens. I will keep ya'll informed.
Thanks for all the advise and support everyone has shown, I really appreciate everything.

JLNaramore

cutter
02-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Don't blame you man, I would want a new car....these aren't something were buying to have the service dept. rip apart and work on....not saying it wouldn't be o.k.....but you know what I'm saying...

Five Oh B
02-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Ford is not obligated to replace the car - just fix the car. If that means replacing the engine, then they'll replace the engine.

However, Ford may have to buy the car back as a lemon if the same problem goes unrepaired after 3 shots at fixing it at the dealership within the first year of ownership - or, if it takes more than 30 days to repair the car. At least that's the rules in Washington - check with your local lemon law office for your state's rules.

By the way, there's over 5,000 parts in a new car. If it was put together with 99.9% accuracy, that would still leave 5 parts that are messed up. That's why there are warranties.

89lxbill
02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
I have to agree with him. They will not replace the car, just the motor. Chances are that the car was not majorly dogged before you bought it. There are rev limiters on the motor. More than likely, it was just a bad motor from day one. Maybe a friday afternoon motor? Who knows. It will not de-value the car any. As far as I can tell, Ford does not match motors to Vin#s.

JLNaramore
02-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 89lxbill
I have to agree with him. They will not replace the car, just the motor. Chances are that the car was not majorly dogged before you bought it. There are rev limiters on the motor. More than likely, it was just a bad motor from day one. Maybe a friday afternoon motor? Who knows. It will not de-value the car any. As far as I can tell, Ford does not match motors to Vin#s.

Yea, all the dealer and Ford Motor Co. are willing to do, as of now, is to replace the motor. I have found out that the valve covers have numbers on them. Also, the service record for that car will show that it has a replacement engine. My question is, will it, or how much will it decrease the value of that car because of the replacement engine. When, or if, I decide to sell the car, how hard will it be to sell a "limited production" Mach 1 with a replacement engine? Would the average car buff be willing to purchase that car knowing it didn't have the origional engine? I don't know, I might be making more of this than I should, but I just fell, not having the origional engine will hurt the future value of the car.

Thanks,

JLNaramore

socalmach1
02-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Tell them just to fix the original engine! and it solves your problem!

1mach03
02-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Im with socalmach1 on this one. Why cant they just fix the one problem. Although im not a machanic you kinda wonder why they just dont fix what needs to be fixed and that would take care of it. Why a whole new engine? Is the whole engine bad ,and why cant they just rebuild that one? just curious. I would feel the same and would not like the idea of another motor in my car, especially if its a new car. If i were ford i would just give you a new mach one,after all they should satisfy the customer. keep us updated on what you decide to do. APRIL ZAVELA THE VETTELADY. p.s wouldnt the lemon law apply to this since the car was bad in the first place?

fordfreak
02-06-2003, 07:13 AM
based on warranty costs, it may be cheaper to Ford to replace the motor than repair it, although the dealer would profit more in terms of money in the labor costs, but most of us dealers are on what is called an "engine prior approval" program where we must call the tech hot line with our engine issues, and they make the decision for us as what to do.

falcongtho3
02-06-2003, 07:25 AM
Ford may want the motor back, so they can do a more in depth study of the problem so that it does not reoccur. Or they may find something amiss in the manufacture process of the motor, then they can go to the source and make sure it does not happen again.

Bossman
02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
For whatever it worth, replacement motors have NOT affetced the selling price of an otherwise quality Boss 302. I own one of these as well and many have replacement blocks for whatever reason and they are selling for no less than those that have the original numbers matching motor.

Five Oh B
02-06-2003, 12:52 PM
No value loss - don't worry. We had a 1998 Cobra a couple years ago that was traded in for a new one. We had sold it new. We also replaced the engine at 10K miles under warranty for the customer. At trade in time, we didn't dock him a penny. When we sold it, we fully disclosed it. The customer actually thought it was better having a new engine, then a repaired one.

Even my 1968 GTO didn't lose value after I had the original engine balanced & blueprinted, just to have the shop that did the work install the cam bearings wrong. Crank seized (metal shavings) and the block & crank had to be replaced and the whole engine re-balanced & blueprinted at their expense. Keep in mind that GM stamped build codes & dates on everything in those days. Again, did NOT affect my ability to sell the car as I had all the documentation of what had happened.

JLNaramore
02-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Five Oh B
No value loss - don't worry. We had a 1998 Cobra a couple years ago that was traded in for a new one. We had sold it new. We also replaced the engine at 10K miles under warranty for the customer. At trade in time, we didn't dock him a penny. When we sold it, we fully disclosed it. The customer actually thought it was better having a new engine, then a repaired one.

Even my 1968 GTO didn't lose value after I had the original engine balanced & blueprinted, just to have the shop that did the work install the cam bearings wrong. Crank seized (metal shavings) and the block & crank had to be replaced and the whole engine re-balanced & blueprinted at their expense. Keep in mind that GM stamped build codes & dates on everything in those days. Again, did NOT affect my ability to sell the car as I had all the documentation of what had happened.

Well I hope this doesn't effect the value. Replacing the engine is all the dealership is telling me Ford Motor Co. is going to do. I am planning on talking to the Ford Representative. I will see if that helps, it can't hurt. I will have all the documentation from the dealer. I'm not finished with this, I am still looking at my options.

Thanks,

JLNaramore

ITS BACK
02-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Sorry for your misfortune but I would be happy with the new engine.

I am not having to replace the motor, but I do need a new driver's side mirror, door skin, door handle, quarter panel, and side scoop.

All of this because of the drunk driver of a Chevy truck tried to kill my car and me by driving down the middle of the two-lane road. To make it worse they did not stop and I was unable to tell if he turned on to another road. All that I know is that they did not continue the same direction, trust me I tried to catch up.

I definitely would rather have something fail by itself than to have someone else damage it, and not take responsibility for it.

Just wanted to let you know that unfortunately worse things have already happened to one of these wonderful cars.

69mach
02-15-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 89lxbill

Just finished looking thru the owners manual and noticed that on pg206 it says "The engine number( the last eight numbers of the vehicle identification number) is stamped on the engine block and transmission"
I didnt know that they had been doing this but it would make me want a matching numbers car even more. Maybe they would let you have the orig. block ect. if they force a engine swap on you.
Or maybe they have the ability to STAMP a new set of # on the replacement engine.
Good luck.

Kool Aid
02-16-2003, 12:30 AM
I'll give you 15 grand for it, right now. :D

Really.

mustanger
02-16-2003, 08:42 AM
Man I feel your pain.Bad thing to happen.I have an azure blue,5spd,W/IUP.Backed it out of garage yesterday for it's weekly warmup and I was thinking as I read your post that that could have just as well have happened to me.(And still could for that matter.) Please keep us posted,and I hope turns out to your satisfaction.I live in Dothan,by the way.Wonder how many other Alabama mach owners are on this site?

KCSailor
02-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Same thing happened to me... but I only got to put 41 miles on mine

JLNaramore
02-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by mustanger
Man I feel your pain.Bad thing to happen.I have an azure blue,5spd,W/IUP.Backed it out of garage yesterday for it's weekly warmup and I was thinking as I read your post that that could have just as well have happened to me.(And still could for that matter.) Please keep us posted,and I hope turns out to your satisfaction.I live in Dothan,by the way.Wonder how many other Alabama mach owners are on this site?

Still no car. They have replaced the engine, but while they were replacing the engine, someone chipped the shaker. Now they have to order that part and replace it, so it is still in the shop. I have been talking to Ford, we have not agreed on anything yet. But, I think I don't have any choice. All the law requires a manufacture to do is "fix" the problem. They have fixed the problem. The law does not address the future value of a classic car, so in other words, I am screwed. Yes, I get my Mach back, but, the hell I have been through with salesmen, service managers, dealership owners, and Ford representatives, I am tired of this mess. Anybody want to buy a grey Mach 1 with a new engine in it?

JLNaramore

JLNaramore
02-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by KCSailor
Same thing happened to me... but I only got to put 41 miles on mine

What? Tell me more. What did the dealership do? What did Ford Motor Co. do? Give me details!!!!!

JLNaramore

KCSailor
02-18-2003, 11:37 PM
I don't have a lot of details as to why it happened, but the engine seized up. Dealer was very nice and asked me what I wanted to do, I told them I wanted a new engine (I didn't know if I would still be able to get a new car and I honestly didn't want to wait for it if I could.) I don't plan on selling this car so to me resell value really doesn't fit into the picture. Also the way Kansas Lemon law works if I have any more problems with the car I can walk away and not pay a dime. Anyway, they agreed to order a new engine for it.

So at this point I'm happy with getting a new engine. Also the Service manager it going to throw on some shorties for me. I don't blame the dealership for anything that's happened. If anyone here is from Kansas and looking for a new car Bonner Springs Ford is a great place to buy from.

Honestly if the resale value is that important to you, see if you can get out of your deal, but your going to be missing out on one hell of a car.

KCSailor
02-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey how long did it take them to get the car fixed once they got the new engine in? They got my new engine in last thursday and they still haven't got it fixed yet. I'm starting to get a little ticked off that I don't have my car back

JLNaramore
02-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by KCSailor
Hey how long did it take them to get the car fixed once they got the new engine in? They got my new engine in last thursday and they still haven't got it fixed yet. I'm starting to get a little ticked off that I don't have my car back

The car went to the shop on the 24th of January, the motor was in buy the 11th of February. Now we are waiting on the shaker. It got scratched and they ordered a new one and it has not be delivered. I still have no car, and today is the 24th of Fedruary. You say you are about to get ticked off, well I am ticked off, and it seems that no one at the dealership or Ford Motor Company gives a ****. I have bought 20 new cars in my life, some of them Fords, and I have never had this kind of trouble or such unsatisfactory service. I know one thing, once I get this issue resolved, I will NEVER own another Ford product.

JLNaramore