PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil or Royal Purple???

TheBlkMach1
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Just like every other "racer", i'm trying to get the most out of my car. It seems that people seem to really swear by Royal Purple oil or Amsoil. I'm going to be changing my oil very soon and i was looking to switch to one of these oils. My question for anyone out there using these oils is "What's your personal experience with them?". I'm looking for some feedback, positive or negative. I currently use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30. Also, what would be a good oil filter? Thanks for the feedback.

03ZincMach1
11-05-2004, 12:57 AM
amsoil 5w20 here and i love it

2k4mach
11-05-2004, 01:02 AM
i use amsoil in mine and my wifes yukon and have no complaints, ive been putting royal purple in my parents f150 and expedition since they were new and have no complaints about it either.

loveOliver
11-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Amsoil's extended drain is a great quality oil. Their 7500 series is a great oil for a 5,000-10,000 mile drain oil. The difference is in the chemical makeup of each oil--the extended drain being slightly more expensive. Amsoil does not make an extended drain, top-of-the-line oil that meets the Ford specifications for the 2003-2004 Mach 1 engines. They do make a 7500 series oil that meets these specifications. The 7500 series, again, is a great choice and as long as it is kept clean with a quality filter--such as Purolator (regular or PureOne)--and changed frequently, it'll keep your engine healthy for a long time.

Working with my father, who is an Amsoil dealer, Amsoil would have been the perfect choice for me, but after months of research and talking to Amsoil, I decided Mobile 1's synthetic 0W-20 oil was the best I could buy. I swear by Amsoil, but I chose to use the Mobile 1 because of the lack of option in Amsoil's extended drain line.

I do not wait until 20,000 miles in any of my cars, including those of my father's. We keep up with filter changes and change the oil at 10,000. Theoretically, a good quality synthetic oil will last forever if you are able to keep it clean. Oil filters can't filter out everything, so you must change it. Also, small amounts of oil burn throughout the cycle, so if you didn't change your synthetic for 100,000 miles, you'd most likely see an unacceptable loss in oil volume in your system--this assumes the oil was kept perfectly clean. Dirty oil means bad lubrication and higher friction on the metal due to the "solid" particles floating in the oil.

Royal Purple comes out to about $8.00 a quart, I believe. That's what it was last time I checked, but that was a long time ago. Royal Purple is a great oil, but it is too expensive for what you get. It's generally in the same category as Amsoil's extended drain line, Mobile 1 synthetic, and a few other great oils. Mobile 1 is just a really great price.

They're all great oils, but make sure you use an oil that meets Ford's specifications. This should be in your owner's manual or a search on this site will bring that specification code to you.

Ryan

mstngjoe
11-05-2004, 08:36 AM
As far a a filter goes, I've always used either Wix or a Ford filter in all my other SBF engines.

FWIW, Sean Hyland thinks the Mobil 1 filter is the best on the market.

I'm about ready to switch to syn oil myself. I'll be interested to see some additional opinions on this as well.

I spoke to someone I know who witnessed a Royal Purple demo. They ran some dino oil first and then the RP. The engine oil temp was about 15* lower with the RP.

Seems to me the RP website also claims a pretty significant hp increase with their product.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Mobil 1 filter and some 0-20 Mobil 1 Oil. But.....that ain't written in stone. ;)

Here's an Oil Filter Study (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html) that has some interesting info.

Ralph Greene
11-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by TheBlkMach1
Just like every other "racer", i'm trying to get the most out of my car. It seems that people seem to really swear by Royal Purple oil or Amsoil. I'm going to be changing my oil very soon and i was looking to switch to one of these oils. My question for anyone out there using these oils is "What's your personal experience with them?". I'm looking for some feedback, positive or negative. I currently use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30. Also, what would be a good oil filter? Thanks for the feedback.

It won't matter one bit which one you use. Your engine will not know the difference. Besides....No one on here has any real idea of the differences between the two. Most just quoting advertising BS or folk lore. In theory....0W oils should lube a tad quicker on cold starts...in cold climates especially....but just very minor difference. I use Mobile 1 0W20, but also believe Ford blend 5W20 at Walmart for about 1.77/qt also more than up to the job. I use that in other Ford vehicles, may switch to that for Mach for my use.

TheBlkMach1
11-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. It seems that Amsoil is a pretty good oil to go with. I haven't heard any responses from anyone using Royal Purple. I just want to get some feedback on both. BTW, where can i pick up Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Jester
11-07-2004, 03:26 AM
I'm a dealer, but have never "sold" any product. I just buy it for myself. I know 03AV8R is a dealer. Give him a try.
If all else fails: www.amsoil.com

H-TownMachI
11-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Jester
I'm a dealer, but have never "sold" any product. I just buy it for myself. I know 03AV8R is a dealer. Give him a try.
If all else fails: www.amsoil.com

No wonder you have "extra" money for mods. Crack kills...you know.:eek:

Jester
11-07-2004, 03:35 AM
:eek: :LAUGH: