PDA

View Full Version : Paint Grit and Clay Bar

03mach1
01-12-2003, 09:05 AM
I had something on the vehicle deisel spray, road grime, salt, overspray??? It was kinda of a haze on the paint. Not sure... All of my the polishes and waxes wouldn't touch it, I even tried 3M hand glaze...

Not recommended but as a last resort!!
I went bought the CLAY BAR and spray ($10) at my local AutoZone and sprayed a small area and started wiping with the clay bar....you could actually here the stuff getting removed. All of a sudden it was sliding easily and then it was smooth as glass!!! I did the the whole hood, roof and truck and What a difference!!! You could actually see the gunk in the clay it was removing!!!

I wasn't sure if it would work, but I am very happy and the car is like a mirror finish now! I haven't even put the wax on it yet!

Just be careful, make sure you lube it up good with the spray (Any detailing spray will work also!), otherwise it may leave some clay marks and you have to rub to get them out.....:)

Next is the Polish and then Carnuba Wax (All from Meguires) :D

FordFanForever
01-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Havent tried the clay bar yet. Might have to try it on my girlfriends focus before I use it on my cars.

Glad to hear it came out for ya Dave.

falcongtho3
01-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Glad it worked out for you. I know the whole 'clay' thing sounds a little weird until you're actually used it, that's probably why so many of the threads pertaining to using it have been so back and forth. A lot of the local plants use that type of product because of chemical and paint releases that settle on vehicles in their areas. The nice thing is that your not cutting into the paint or leaving any marks but you get a smooth, shiny finish. :THUMBSUP:

STICK
01-12-2003, 11:17 AM
Dave,

Great news that you finally have your MACH1.

I have used the Clay Bar before and it works great. I applied McGuires Auto Polish and either the High Tech Professional Wax or Gold Medal Wax. May I recommend McGuires Body Scrub for future removal of scuffs and bird dropings.

A number of members have provided detailing instructions on other threads.

Good luck with your MACH1.

:THUMBSUP:

03mach1
01-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Yes, I have the complete Meguires stuff including the Body Scrub, Polish, Wax, Detailer, #26 Yellow Wax, etc...! That is about all I use.

Thanks!

ach1
01-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Are you suppose to rub the clay bar on the car or roll it? I thought I seen on TV where they rolled it over the car. It seems like rubbing it would make scratches with all the stuff it picks up?

I've got some kind of a scuff on my hood, and I'm not sure what all to use to try and get it off. What is the strongest chemicals I should try to see if it can be removed? SimpleGreen/Mineral Spirits/Dawn? I can't really tell if it above the clearcoat, or scratched into the clearcoat.

falcongtho3
01-12-2003, 10:33 PM
You rub the clay across the paint. The detailing wax is used as a lubricant so that the clay doesn't drag or stick. I've never heard about rolling the clay, although you do fold it after coveing a certain amount of area. It does work on minor scratches and abrasions on the paint. My concern on my own car is a scratchy scuff on the hood stripe, not really bad enough to warrant replacing since that could even turn out worse, but there none the less. :THUMBSUP:

Tomcat427
01-13-2003, 12:12 AM
OK, Here is what process I have used.

I used Dawn dishwashing soap to wash the car. Then I dried it with 100% cotton towels. I used the Mothers Gold Pkg deal, clay bar, quick detailer spray and wax. I was very pleased with the results (7 hours later). This was the first time I had ever used a clay bar. I am a believer now.

The next weekend I washed the car (zymol car wash) and put on a coat of Liquid Lustre. WOW is all I can say. The Luquid Lustre made the paint look even better. The only way I can describe it is, like looking into the deep blue sea and you know the water is deep but it looks like you can touch the bottom but at the same time seems to go on forever. It really gave the paint some depth it did not have before. It also took out some of the orange peel look. ( I did not have many areas on my car that had the orange peel look.)

My wife is waiting on me to give her new Limited Escape ( Gold Ash, beautiful color, would have been awesome on the Mach 1) the same treatment. She said she would do all the chores around the house next weekend (wheather permiting) so I could clean her Escape. LOL

Stanger
01-14-2003, 10:34 AM
I've had great luck with the Clay Bar. I use the Clay Bar
as I wash the car with Dawn Dish Detergent,
every 3 months.
I simply wash a panel using the soap and a car wash sponge.
I then Rinse the dirt off and then reapply the Soap and go
over it a second time with the clay bar.
This way seems much faster to me and the results are
fantastic. ps - My car is Black, also.
I then follow up with Zaino.

Chris
02-01-2003, 06:02 AM
How often is a clay bar to be used? I have had my Mach a little over a week and I'm currently awaiting my Zaino products. However, I didn't order the clay bar because I have been under the impression that the bar was for paint jobs going bad. Guess I was wrong. What intervals should a clay bar be used and should the other products be applied before using a clay bar? Thanks.

falcongtho3
02-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Don't look, feel. If the paint feels smooth, don't worry about it. If it feels rough, even though it looks smooth and shiny, go ahead and clay it. These cars often sat for days, weeks, or...ahem...months before we actually got them. So, you're dealing with paint that's been subjected to various fallout from plants, rail yard, bird bombs, and who-knows-what-else. Other than a good wash, you don't need to do any prep. Then, a good wax with the wax of your choice.