PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light with High Beam Modification DONE!

JDraper
08-31-2004, 10:06 PM
I figured out how to make the Mach 1 fogs work with both the lo-beams and the hi-beams, and it's a piece of cake!! :D All you have to do is remove one of the pins from the "fog light cutout relay" which is relay #1 in the relay box under the hood. What this relay does is turn off the fogs when the hi-beams are turned on. By removing the pin, you remove the 12V source that is switched in to kill the fogs when the hi-beams are activated. In the picture below, the position of the #1 relay is circled in red (relay is already removed.). In the inset, the pin to be removed is circled. The great thing about this mod is you just have to buy a second relay to pop in if you have inspection issues.

Good Luck!!

GrimlokTT
08-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Well done.... is that all it does? Do you have a wiring diagram that you are referring too?

PapaTango
08-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Nice job! Now, think you can figure out how to change the default setting on the traction control to "off" instead of "on" without having to buy another black box?
:CHEERS:

JDraper
09-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by GrimlokTT
Well done.... is that all it does? Do you have a wiring diagram that you are referring too?

That's all it does..No wiring diagram, just my handy multimeter, years of experience, and an electronics background. I started by doing a pinout of the switch in the dash, and noticed that nothing was changing when I switched from low to high beams, so there had to be a dropout relay somewhere in the system, so I pulled out my owners manual, and voila! there is a relay called the "fog light cutout relay". I grab my multimeter, pull the relay out and start looking for a change when I hit the high beams. The relay is a normally closed relay (NC) so I go looking for a pin that switches from float to +12V when the switch is pulled. I found the pin, removed it, and it works.
:D

machburger
09-01-2004, 09:16 AM
I'm looking for the correct way to say this.........does it putmore strain on the cars wiring to run fogs with the hi beams? I've heard fom a few sources that when they modified theirs (F150s & Mustangs) that it overloaded the wiring, causing the lights to go out. Do you think your relay mod would do this also, over a period of time?
Let me add that the ones who had failures modified wiring and/or the headlight switch.

Kiddnewt
09-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Awesome!

I can't wait to try this tonight!

Mach On! :THUMBSUP:

DSG2003Mach1
09-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Machburger, maybe I just havent seen the threads, but the ones Ive seen they had problems when they tried to get their low beams to stay on with the highbeams. The fogs cut off because its illegal to have highbeams on and foglights at the same time....no idea why though

grodgers
09-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DSG2003Mach1
Machburger, maybe I just havent seen the threads, but the ones Ive seen they had problems when they tried to get their low beams to stay on with the highbeams. The fogs cut off because its illegal to have highbeams on and foglights at the same time....no idea why though

This is my impression as well.

I, for one, would LOVE to have my 9007 highs AND lows on at the same time when switched to high beam.

It would be VERY easy to do with a little wiring and a relay, but I don't know whether the bulbs could handle it or not - most likely not.

JDraper
09-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Machburger, it won't strain the system any more. The fogs and the headlights are on different circuits and relays. Since you're not re-wiring the system and running more current off a switch or a relay, it won't be a problem. All you are doing is removing the "off" switch for the fogs.

machburger
09-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Next question..........Is that a "Ford Only" Relay? If so, does any one have the part #? Or is it a relay you can pick up at the local auto parts store? Just in case I want it back stock, I want to have an extra.

JDraper
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
The Ford relay # is F57B-14B192-AA. Don't know if you can buy them from anywhere else or not. I gotta get one too to carry as a "spare" :MADNOEL:

spanky192
09-02-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by DSG2003Mach1
The fogs cut off because its illegal to have highbeams on and foglights at the same time....no idea why though

Probably because fog lights are meant to help you see in thick fog and high beams do the very opposite of that.

Kiddnewt
09-02-2004, 07:35 PM
DONE!

It works, and the area in front of the car is brighter with high beams now!

Mach On!!! :THUMBSUP:

04 Mach one
09-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Well, got to love free mods. Thanks for the good info. It works great.:D

dcpatters
09-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Excellent. Same here. Thanks JDraper. I wish horsepower mods were this easy.

04Mach1Stang
09-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Awesome Mod! Thanks for the great info. I am going to do this mod tonight!

Corey

Cobranut
09-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Bill,

The F-250 is wired differently. The fog lite switch is in the headlight switch. You have to add a jumper at the switch itself.

David

Sapperstang
09-16-2004, 08:14 PM
BTW they are driving lights........not fog lights. Cool mod though. I may do it.

2003SCJ
09-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I just did it. It works!!! GOOD FIND!!!:THUMBSUP:

JDraper
09-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Sapperstang
BTW they are driving lights........not fog lights. Cool mod though. I may do it.

Fog lights, driving lights, whatever......IMO they aren't bright enough to be considered driving lights...Now the KC Daylighters on the front of my Explorer are driving lights! 385,000 candlepower.

Oh, and btw, in the owners manual, they are called FOG LAMPS, and the relay is labelled" FOG LAMP cutout".

MACH1CRAZY
09-19-2004, 04:09 PM
That was too easy! Thank You! Works and looks great... Nice to be around smart people.....

Azure Mach
09-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I never used my hi-beams, but I always wondered why the fog lights cut out when they were turned on...If I had a penny for every worthless law out there, I would be rich.

jjm525
12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Clever mind on this one, thanks for the tip.

69mach
12-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by JDraper
The Ford relay # is F57B-14B192-AA. Don't know if you can buy them from anywhere else or not. I gotta get one too to carry as a "spare" :MADNOEL:

On the relay, go to your friendly Auto Recycler and pull one from any late model F/L/M.
I got them for wiring trailer tow packs for my F150 for like $ 1 each.

Mach On
Ed

red302
12-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks JDraper.....I have brights AND fogs! :CHEERS:

blazinsteed
12-30-2004, 02:06 AM
So do you need to replace it or just for inspection purposes?

JDraper
12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
You only need to replace the relay if you want to go back to having the fogs turn off automatically when you hit the high beams.

blazinsteed
12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks looks like something I will be doing in the near future.

Roger :worship:

03greymach1
03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Can you figure out how to make the light come on without the parking lights on???

I figured out how to make the Mach 1 fogs work with both the lo-beams and the hi-beams, and it's a piece of cake!! :D All you have to do is remove one of the pins from the "fog light cutout relay" which is relay #1 in the relay box under the hood. What this relay does is turn off the fogs when the hi-beams are turned on. By removing the pin, you remove the 12V source that is switched in to kill the fogs when the hi-beams are activated. In the picture below, the position of the #1 relay is circled in red (relay is already removed.). In the inset, the pin to be removed is circled. The great thing about this mod is you just have to buy a second relay to pop in if you have inspection issues.

Good Luck!!

JDraper
03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Can you figure out how to make the light come on without the parking lights on???

Should be easy..just feed 12V to the side of the fog light relay that is normally fed from the parking lights. If I get time this weekend, I'll see if I can get you details on which relay and which pin.

03greymach1
03-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks! I was thinking to feed 12v to the side of the switch.
I was looking at the schematic and what you mention would work as well.

If you do it let us know.

Cheers!

Should be easy..just feed 12V to the side of the fog light relay that is normally fed from the parking lights. If I get time this weekend, I'll see if I can get you details on which relay and which pin.

PonyWrangler
03-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Great mod! That is one of the main reasons I don't use my brights. You lose light at the front of the car. Now I can have the best of both worlds.

JDraper
03-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Ok here's how ya can do the fogs without anything else turned on. Relay #5 is the one that controls turning the fogs on and off. Pin #86 is the pin that supplies power to the fogs when the lights are turned on. The best way to do the mod is to supply an ignition switched power source to pin #86. I would recommend removing the wire that currently supplies the power from the parking lights instead of jumpering it because the jumper would most likely feed 12V back through the light switch and cause the parking lights to come on.

Here's a picture of the relay socket and pin #86.

HorsesNHogs
03-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Ok, I'll admit I ain't too bright, so help me out here please. to do this mod all I need to do is remove the relay? or do I remove the relay and then break off the pin, then replace the relay?
I ask because, if relay #1 only controls the foglight cut off, why do I need to remove the pin and put it back?
thanks for you patients with the less mentally able :)

JDraper
03-05-2005, 08:14 PM
You have to remove the pin. The relay is what is called a NC (Normally Closed) relay, so when no power is applied to the solenoid, the contacts are closed and power flows through the contacts (99% of the relays in a car are NO (Normally Open relays where the contacts are open until power is applied to the solenoid). When power is applied to the solenoid, the contacts open up and break the circuit. If you just remove the relay, it opens up the circuit to the lights, and they don't come on.

HorsesNHogs
03-05-2005, 09:14 PM
ahhh, now I understand, see I am gettin brighter by the minute :)
thanks

crtbones
05-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks JDraper

JMagMach
12-28-2006, 05:04 PM
just did it! works nicely.... cool little mod, thanks JDraper

JRKANOT
12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
just did it! works nicely.... cool little mod, thanks JDraper

Really glad you brought this back from the dead!

I wondered if it was possible but didn't have the know how to trace out the circuits.

And thanks JDraper.:machgod:

2k3DSGmach
12-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Awesome!

I can't wait to try this tonight!

Mach On! :THUMBSUP:

:agree:

grey03mach1
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Easiest mod to date..thanks JDraper!

I think the law is because some peoples lights are so powerful they tend to blind oncoming traffic if they forget to dim the lights. If they have the fog lights on and forget to dim the lights it could cause an accident.

I noticed that some of the newer model Chevy trucks have tremendously huge and bright fogs. They have me quinting like a gremilin. "Bright Light...bright light!"

OSUALUM78
01-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Easiest mod to date..thanks JDraper!

I think the law is because some peoples lights are so powerful they tend to blind oncoming traffic if they forget to dim the lights. If they have the fog lights on and forget to dim the lights it could cause an accident.

I noticed that some of the newer model Chevy trucks have tremendously huge and bright fogs. They have me quinting like a gremilin. "Bright Light...bright light!"

lol

Mogwais are funny

classic movie owned here, too many classic quotes from it

OSUALUM78
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks JDraper. Really easy mod. Thanks for puttng in the time to figure out. I think I spent more time putting on the relay cover than the mod itself, b/c my alarm hood pin is located on the fender wall right next to the box, so it took so jimmying to get the cover back on without breaking plastic.

doclcsw
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
interesting. I have this same relay in my 2000 Expedition where it is used to control the auto door locks. Do you know how to check them? Often my locks begin to operate with clicking coming from the dash (where the relays are) while just driving down the street.

Any ideas?

grey03mach1
03-28-2007, 01:19 AM
interesting. I have this same relay in my 2000 Expedition where it is used to control the auto door locks. Do you know how to check them? Often my locks begin to operate with clicking coming from the dash (where the relays are) while just driving down the street.

Any ideas?Sounds like a faulty door lock actuator. Have the stealership check that out first.

FloridaOrange
03-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Don't know how I missed this but thanks!

nikbait
11-09-2007, 09:06 PM
You have to remove the pin. The relay is what is called a NC (Normally Closed) relay, so when no power is applied to the solenoid, the contacts are closed and power flows through the contacts (99% of the relays in a car are NO (Normally Open relays where the contacts are open until power is applied to the solenoid). When power is applied to the solenoid, the contacts open up and break the circuit. If you just remove the relay, it opens up the circuit to the lights, and they don't come on.

Ok, so I am not electrically inclined, how do you remove the pin?

3150Mach1
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Ok, so I am not electrically inclined, how do you remove the pin?

Break it off clean as you can.

nikbait
11-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok, but how? Like with a screwdriver or a set of pliers? There isnt much room in there..

3150Mach1
11-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok, but how? Like with a screwdriver or a set of pliers? There isnt much room in there..

I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers

nikbait
11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Great thank you.

grey03mach1
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok, but how? Like with a screwdriver or a set of pliers? There isnt much room in there..I just pushed it with my finger away from the others until it broke.

3150Mach1
11-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I just pushed it with my finger away from the others until it broke.

Even better.

JDraper
11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Either cut it with wire dikes or wiggle it back and forth with needle nose pliers.

nikbait
11-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Either way should work, thanks guys ;)

2stangBK
11-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Did it also, I'll try it out tonight.
Thanks,
BK

swoop1156
11-10-2007, 06:20 PM
No way. I've searched for a thread just like this with no luck. Must do!

nikbait
04-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok here's how ya can do the fogs without anything else turned on. Relay #5 is the one that controls turning the fogs on and off. Pin #86 is the pin that supplies power to the fogs when the lights are turned on. The best way to do the mod is to supply an ignition switched power source to pin #86. I would recommend removing the wire that currently supplies the power from the parking lights instead of jumpering it because the jumper would most likely feed 12V back through the light switch and cause the parking lights to come on.

Here's a picture of the relay socket and pin #86.

Ok, being's how I'm electronically challenged, JDraper, how did u go about doing this?

JDraper
04-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Ok, being's how I'm electronically challenged, JDraper, how did u go about doing this?

Ummm...like it says???:3amin:

What you would have to do is pull the wire out of the fusebox that feeds pin 86 (or cut it below the fusebox) and replace it with a wire that has 12V switched, i.e. it's only on when your key is on.

If you're electronically challenged, I'd recommend finding someone that knows some electronics to help. If you do the wrong thing, you could really mess up your electrical system.

Azure Blurr
04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
HOLY CRAP! OK who is using the search feature to find useful information?!? I just use it to drag up good memories for you old folks.:23:

Unrealford
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Ive never seen this thread, glad it was dug up, Im gonna do this to mine tomarrow. !!:worship:

fordnut02
04-04-2008, 07:45 AM
nice quick mod !

works great !

thanks !

bleedingfordblu
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
beast i just did it! i cant wait till night time and it'll be so much better when i get the HID's:claus:

nikbait
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
What have you guys been using as far as the 12v source for this mod? I don't want to mess anything up.

3150Mach1
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
What have you guys been using as far as the 12v source for this mod? I don't want to mess anything up.

This mod does not require a 12V source. It just requires a modifcation to the "fog light cutout relay"

nikbait
05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
It says so in order to have the fog lights come on when nothing else is on...jdraper wrote it up a few posts up.

nikbait
03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Best free mod evar!

eatonmach1
03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I done this on my ranger a year ago it works good. I have had no problems with it. The fog light pulls it current fron the fuse pannel so no need to worry about burning a switch up.

4-v mach
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
ahhh, now I understand, see I am gettin brighter by the minute :)
thanks

best quote in the entire thread!!! haha

Mistergou
03-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Great thread!! never saw it before going to try this out today!:CHEERS:

machone03
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm going to do this tommorrow. But I have a question. I have searched to no avail. I have seen the question asked but now answer.

Is it possible to keep the lights in 'flash to pass' i;e low/high beam on at the same time? I know it would be possible with some re-wiring, BUT would the bulb/lens be able to handle the load? I haven't looked at at schematics but im sure the low/high beams are on different circuits, so it shouldn't overload anything, BUT would the extra heat generated melt the lens/pop the bulb?

my fear
03-30-2009, 11:57 PM
super bad *** mod. i was just thinking yesterday how gay it was to loose your fogs when the high beams were on an now there's a mod for it sweeeeeeet. thanks!!!!

MCHNROL
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Great mod. Great info. Thanks JDraper :smokin:

sdg97232
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
good work finding that mod jdraper, just did the mod to my 04, thanks.

mmustangsrus
12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
nice mod bad *** !!!!!

toad
12-16-2009, 11:28 PM

hmmm: from the factory, my Jeep Rubicon does not switch off fogs when highbeams are used. So I don't think it is a legal issue.

props for a cool mod !

um, before I do it.... can you turn the fog lights off with the dash switch if you do this mod ?

and the answer is.....

the cabin switch still works to turn off the fogs!

I work nights and leave to go home while it is STILL DARK.... with no backup relay, I put my trust in Mr Draper and did the mod.

works as advertised!
(my buddy was telling me that I am as dumb as a box of rocks, I will not have lights to drive home if I do that)
LOL, glad he was wrong.