PDA

View Full Version : help please

quark
01-03-2003, 05:59 AM
i was looking at this site and was curoius if these 2 items were good for my mach1.if u can just tell me what ya think about me putting these in the car and what the the downfalls of adding it to my car like voiding warrenties lessing engine life and what not.
any help greatley apreciated :D

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/03cobradyno.htm

im only thinking of the diablo chip and mac cold air intake

:CHEERS:

TX MACH 1
01-03-2003, 11:02 AM
the air filter kit can be easily removed if need for warranty issues, but with the chip it's not, you have to scrape off a protective coating on the computers board before you install the chip, and it does leave a code if removed so they would be able to tell. (making friends with a local SVT service tech, he had told me this)

diablo chips= very bad things with 3 Lightning owners I know (ventalated 5.4 blocks) incorrect timing most likely.

If your Mach is an Auto a chip will be nice (change shift points and firmer shifting) but with a 5-spd I doubt you'll see any noticable gains. But if you do add a bunch of stuff later, a properly tuned chip would be great. (long tubes, high flow cats, larger MAF, Accufab t-body, Supercharger etc etc)

Since we have (similar style 4.6) set up's of the '99/'01 Cobra's I'd see what's available for those and see if they will work on your Mach. (Accufab, MAF, Exhaust, Steeda Timing adjuster)

:D Rick

socalmach1
01-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Hey Erin:THUMBSUP: You are pretty heads up on the car stuff:CHEERS: any sisters?:rolleyes:

cobrajg
01-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Until someone has a mach1 cold air intake I would hold off. Ford put the resonator on there to improve low torque and you may just lose that if you replace the CAI with a non-proven unit. Plus you will lose the function of the shaker. I am hoping John at densecharger can come up with something.

As for the chip, Diablo and Autologic both make multi-program chips. You can have one program disable the chip so the factory computer does not know it is there. So when they scan, they don't see it. Ford techs will scan for problem codes and thats all. Unless they are now instructed to look for a code that tells them about a chip. Which they may have to do on the new cobra. There is always a risk when adding mods to the car. Anything that improves performance can also damage the car. Just be sure to get quality stuff and follow the instructions or ask for help.

I have used a Superchip or Diablo chip on 5 different mustangs over the years and have been lucky to not have a problem. Also, non of the dealers ever knew that I had one. But there is always a chance they will. Even if they do, it has to be proven that the chip was the problem.

TRMach1
01-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by cobrajg
Until someone has a mach1 cold air intake I would hold off. Ford put the resonator on there to improve low torque and you may just lose that if you replace the CAI with a non-proven unit.

Cobrajg, the resonator has absolutely nothing to due with providing increased performance. It's there strictly to lower the noise level of the car so it meets Federal requirements. This was Mr.T's response to someone's question about removing it:

"There should be no detrimental effects from removing it other than your car being louder (which to most is an advantage). AS far as performance gains, there will not be any (unless you count the weight reduction of 1-2 ounces ) If you take it off, just make sure the hole is sealed very well."

As far as the other stuff goes, I agree.:THUMBSUP:

cobrajg
01-03-2003, 03:57 PM
hmm..I must have missed that post. I thought I remembered one of the mustang guys saying something about low end torque. I must be thinking of something different. Bad cobrajg...bad! :MADNOEL:

In that case, I guess mine is coming off for a densecharger TB pipe. :D

ach1
01-03-2003, 05:30 PM
This link is where we talked about this before.

http://www.mach1registry.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1328&highlight=resonator

cobrajg
01-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Saw that, but I didn't see Mr.T's post in that thread. Oh well, glad I posted what I did as I was wrong and needed to be corrected.

Ordered my TB pipe from John about an hour ago. It is great to talk to John, he is always a great guy to do business with.

TRMach1
01-03-2003, 06:13 PM
It was this more recent thread where we got Mr.T's response about the resonator.:THUMBSUP:

http://www.mach1registry.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=24621#post24621

quark
01-04-2003, 05:43 AM
i guess ill just wait a while see what others do and how it all works out for everyone thanx for help :D thanx for help

gotmach
01-05-2003, 02:21 PM
MY MACH CAME WITH A COLD AIR INTAKE ON IT FROM THE FACTORY....ITS CALLED A SHAKER. IN MY OPINION ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ADD A HI-PO AIR FILTER AND LET IT GO. I WOULDNT EVEN TAKE THE BOOT OFF THE AIR BOX. BETWEEN THE SHAKER AND THE FENDER INTAKE ITS GETS PLENTY OF COLD AIR. AS FAR AS THE CHIP. LEAVE IT ALONE...IM A SERVICE MNG FOR LINC/MERC AND ONE OF THE THINGS WARRENTY WANTS TO KNOW WHEN ENGINE DAMMAGE 0CCURS IS IF THE BOX HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH....WAIT UNTILL THE WARRENTY IS OVER THEN ITS YOUR BABY....