PDA

View Full Version : Ran with a 03 Cobra the other day.

MagicMustang
08-21-2004, 03:27 AM
A couple of days ago a buddy of mine both drove down to the shopping area on 78 in So cal, and we came to a stop light and all of a sudden a 03 Cobra pulls up next to me. I told home how I really liked his car, and he just starts to talk **** about how much better his is and I'd best be glad I don’t' have a Motor like his. He then preceded to make the car lunge forward constantly like he's going to take off like a bat out of hell...I figured what the hell, so we took off running them, I couldn't believe it because he got me by a little bit off the line, but I pulled a head of him and was only about 1 car length in front of him, at the next red light he seemed very pissed......what is it with some cobra owners...not all of them but I mean why are some just plan asses.

GOTdaBLUE1
08-21-2004, 03:58 AM
What a shame. He paid so much more $$$, and he doesn't know how to drive. Cuz, the boy should have blown you away.

Redline
08-21-2004, 04:58 AM
Not off the line cuz of the cobras irs.

grimreefer
08-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Stoplight to stoplight ain't the track and a Cobra isn't going to "blow away" a Mach there... it's one of the Mach's strong points. If I was betting on something like this, stock/stock odds would probably just barely go to the Cobra... but one tiny little mistake and it's over. Once again... it is all about the driver. :THUMBSUP:

2QUICK
08-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Equipment will never make up for driver error/inexperience. Some people just can't drive/race. I go to the track and it amazes me how many guys are their trying to race their cars and the can't even change gears properly. If you can't shift your stick like an auto, get an auto.:D

Medium Cool
08-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by grimreefer
Stoplight to stoplight ain't the track and a Cobra isn't going to "blow away" a Mach there... it's one of the Mach's strong points. If I was betting on something like this, stock/stock odds would probably just barely go to the Cobra... but one tiny little mistake and it's over. Once again... it is all about the driver. :THUMBSUP:
You bet. I drove several Cobras at the excellent dealership and determined that the Mach was more than adequate in daily driving. It was more manageable, seemed more responsive, and saved considerable money. All things considered, the Cobra will consistently post better times in clinical/measured conditons and it should, given the B-17 supercharger. (That is, if one masters the, imho, awkward 6 speed shifter.)

Yet, I rather like Cobras and applaud Ford for cranking some out, but...here's the reality for most of us, viz., few drive flat out as at the strip or at a timed road race where Cobras do ok with their curious attempt at an IRS, admittedly better than the previous failure.

GOTdaBLUE1
08-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Redline
Not off the line cuz of the cobras irs.

My bad. :SMASH:

Tomcat427
08-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by MagicMustang
A couple of days ago a buddy of mine both drove down to the shopping area on 78 in So cal, and we came to a stop light and all of a sudden a 03 Cobra pulls up next to me. I told home how I really liked his car, and he just starts to talk **** about how much better his is and I'd best be glad I don’t' have a Motor like his. He then preceded to make the car lunge forward constantly like he's going to take off like a bat out of hell...I figured what the hell, so we took off running them, I couldn't believe it because he got me by a little bit off the line, but I pulled a head of him and was only about 1 car length in front of him, at the next red light he seemed very pissed......what is it with some cobra owners...not all of them but I mean why are some just plan asses.

I went to a local svt club event with several 03/04 Cobra's at an 1/8 mile track. I ran faster n/a than all of the stock Cobra's and most of the lightly modded ones. I know I am not stock, but my point is that it does not take much to beat a stock, or near stock, Cobra from light to light. On the bottle none of them had a chance. There was a heavily modded Cobra there that put down over 500rwhp that ran the same times as I did on the bottle.

I know that someday I will get beat by a Cobra at the track. But I have to talk one into racing me first. I always get the "But you have a power adder" excuse. It's not like they don't. BTW, I don't mind getting beat by faster cars. I know I am not the fastest and that there will always be somebody faster.

Sorry for the rant, I am just tired of always hearing how the mighty Cobra should be dragging the Mach 1's and if they didn't it was because of a bad driver. They are different cars for different people and I think Ford did a great job offering both cars.:CHEERS:

San Pedro Mach
08-21-2004, 07:58 PM
I agree with you guys...on the street (stoplight to stoplight & stock vs stock) it's anyones race. That's why Cobra owners (not all:D of course) get so upset and frustrated because they spent almost $10 grand more on a supercharged mustang and don't understand how a Mach 1 can hang with them. On the Track, it's a diffrent story, but for daily driven street Machs, it's fun making Cobra owners scratch their heads! :LAUGH:

That said, I'm saving up for the next generation Cobra.

:THUMBSUP:

Mach1Madman
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I agree that most Cobra owners are dikks. I know quite a few of them and they all run their mouths and trash everyone else's cars. It's true, not ALL are like that just most of em'.:THUMBSUP:

dohc
08-21-2004, 08:13 PM
MM&FF did a three way shootout with the GT, Mach 1, and Cobra, and the Mach beat the Cobra light to light, but obviosly not the 1/4. I would love to run a stock one against my car, even if I didnt beat it I dont think the Mach would lose by much. The Cobra dosent seem to 60 ft well, unless you really know how to drive it.

Supernova
08-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by dohc
MM&FF did a three way shootout with the GT, Mach 1, and Cobra, and the Mach beat the Cobra light to light, but obviosly not the 1/4. I would love to run a stock one against my car, even if I didnt beat it I dont think the Mach would lose by much. The Cobra dosent seem to 60 ft well, unless you really know how to drive it.

I think you need to re-read the article. The Mach was close to the Cobra, but lost stoplight to stoplight.

dohc
08-22-2004, 01:25 AM
My selective memory has failed me once again! In an impromptu contest versus the Cobra, the Mach nearly beat the snake. The SVT's independent rear hopped badly on launch, giving the Mach 1 a big lead. Once the axle windup stopped and you could feed the Cobra full steam, it caught up and went ahead by a fender. But it sure took a while. Guess it depends on how far apart your lights are!

loose nut
08-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Mach1Madman
I agree that most Cobra owners are dikks. I know quite a few of them and they all run their mouths and trash everyone else's cars. It's true, not ALL are like that just most of em'.:THUMBSUP:

hmmmmm...all of the COBRA owners I know are very brand loyal to FORD and don't have any problem with Mach1 owners whatsoever. I'm so sorry that the dikks seem to be attracted to you. :SMASH:

...and I hope mama gives you permission to get those mod's.

ZincDude
08-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I never wanted to get in on a Cobra owner ahole thing but I have seen two Cobras in the last few weeks and the richards don't even look over to wave.:mad:

'70 Vert
08-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GOTdaBLUE1
What a shame. He paid so much more $$$, and he doesn't know how to drive. Cuz, the boy should have blown you away.

Not in stoplight racing. With equal drivers, the Mach should spank the Cobra. A N/A Mach 1 engine doesn't have to fight to spool up a supercharger. I think that the Cobra also has a slight weight disadvantage.
If the Cobra gets a chance to stretch its legs though, all you'll see is taillights.
They're both great cars. I'd be just as proud to own a Cobra as I am to own a Mach.

IMachU
08-22-2004, 01:01 PM
The Cobra owners I have come across recently have been cool. But they are 96-98 Cobra owners. The 03 owners that I have seen in the last couple of months have been acting kinda like Chebby drivers. You know what I mean.

hotwheels
08-22-2004, 01:25 PM
i have to agree with 2QUICK..........driver experience..........i just watched a 2004 cobra beat everything on the street the other nite........we were running roughly quarter mile runs on a flat stretch of back road.........i would race him with my twinturbo car, but not the mach 1 hotwheels

Supernova
08-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by '70 Vert
Not in stoplight racing. With equal drivers, the Mach should spank the Cobra. A N/A Mach 1 engine doesn't have to fight to spool up a supercharger. I think that the Cobra also has a slight weight disadvantage.
If the Cobra gets a chance to stretch its legs though, all you'll see is taillights.
They're both great cars. I'd be just as proud to own a Cobra as I am to own a Mach.

A supercharger doesn't have to "spool" up. It's basically always on. Yes the Cobra has a weight disadvantage (about 200 lbs), but it has a HUGE power advantage! Usually about 100 rwhp and 70-80 rwtq. In fact, my Cobra (when stock) made more rwtq (360+ ft-lbs) at 2500 rpm than any stock Mach1 makes at peak! Sorry to burst your bubble, but no stock vs stock contest is going to result in a "spanking" of the Cobra... All of this discussion that has been made of the Cobra's IRS has been overplayed as well. It's not THAT difficult to launch the Cobra effectively. If you take equal drivers in stock cars, it's going to result in a Cobra victory. The power is too much for the Mach to make up. I don't think either car is going to "spank" the other one in a stoplight contest, though.

'70 Vert
08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Supernova
A supercharger doesn't have to "spool" up. It's basically always on.

Yes, it's always on (or spinning), but it is parasitic. It draws about 30 to 40 hp from the engine. At low RPM's, it gives nothing back in the way of HP. It's a load on the engine.

It's additional mass that needs to be "spun up" to higher RPM's; sort of like a heavy flywheel vs. a lighter flywheel. There is no such thing as free HP. You have to rob it from somewhere to gain it somewhere else.

Mach 1 Boy
08-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Yes, it's always on (or spinning), but it is parasitic. It draws about 30 to 40 hp from the engine. At low RPM's, it gives nothing back in the way of HP. It's a load on the engine.

It's additional mass that needs to be "spun up" to higher RPM's; sort of like a heavy flywheel vs. a lighter flywheel. There is no such thing as free HP. You have to rob it from somewhere to gain it somewhere else.
I agree with you 100% on that, but I will say that the IRS is not that hard to launch. I get off the line pretty darn quick. I usually don't slip the tires and drop at 2500 rpms, MORE then enough pull right there.

I swear, my Cobra screams through 40mph in 1st and 73 mph in 2nd......Trust me, its fast.

However I love the Mach and it really is a drivers race. I have really had to work to master launching the Cobra and when I got my Mach, that thing was CAKE to luanch. But Now I can launch the Snake too, so it's alllll good! :COOL:

BTW, I always give thumbs up to Mach drivers. Sometimes I don't even get anything back. Oh well, there are nice guys like me and then a-holes as well.

Mach1Madman
08-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Mach 1 Boy
I agree with you 100% on that, but I will say that the IRS is that hard to launch. I get off the line pretty darn quick. I usually don't slip the tires and drop at 2500 rpms, MORE then enough pull right there.

I swear, my Cobra screams through 40mph in 1st and 73 mph in 2nd......Trust me, its fast.

However I love the Mach and it really is a drivers race. I have really had to work to master launching the Cobra and when I got my Mach, that thing was CAKE to luanch. But Now I can launch the Snake too, so it's alllll good! :COOL:

BTW, I always give thumbs up to Mach drivers. Sometimes I don't even get anything back. Oh well, there are nice guys like me and then a-holes as well.

See, like I said. Not all Cobra guys are dikks.:THUMBSUP: :D The bad apples out there ruin it for the good guys like U.:CHEERS:

MACH1PB
08-23-2004, 12:16 AM
from a stop light it will be close. my best friend has a 04 snake and it has a catback , k&n, chip and a pullie, and a cai. he dyones at 460 rwhp. well i couldnt wait and i had to run him..i outlaunch him and get a good 1 1/2 car lead all the way to middle of 3rd gear. After that all i can hear is his eaton whinning and pass me by at top of 3rd gear. his car pulls like a muther and its one of the faster cars i've been in so far. He was really impressed with my mach with my mods and said it was one of the closest race he ever had. A stock cobra and mach from a stop light will be a good one for sure. A chip and pullied cobra is a beast. When i drove his snake when it was stock, i really couldnt feel much difference with his and our machs. at only higher rpm can u feel the blower. Cobra is a darn nice car IMHO

pdmustgt
08-23-2004, 05:03 AM
I raced one today with my 04 mach1. I give him a thumbs up like cool he has a 03 or 04 sonic blue cobra. Then he wants to race one stop light to the next I got him. Did it again got him again but worst now he's pissed. Followed me to the gas station asked me what mods I have only a k&n air filter. Tells me I'm lying tell him whatever. If he learn how to drive it. I could have drove off the lot with a 04 cobra. But I'm not going to make that high payment I have other things I want to do with my money. Besides I bought my 04 mach1 used had only 4000 miles on it. Got it for 23,900 got 6,000 out of my 99gt plus 1,500 . I'm still complaining about 330 a month payment I squewk went i walk :MADNOEL: .

I had a 70 mach1 intell I sold it last fall

Shaker Dan
08-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Like all groups Mustang owners (GT, Mach, Cobras, Older, Newer, etc....) have their share of arses! But in general everyone that I have run into have been alright. So don't judge one person as the rest of the group.

I would love to have the power of a Cobra. But it really does come down to if the driver can drive the car. Too much HP in the wrong hands makes for a bad scene. When I saw an 03 Cobra run a 14.3 at the track I just wanted to go take his car away from him. I also saw another one with mods only run mid 13s. So once again, it always comes down to the driver. Those that can drive the Cobra will have an easy time with the Mach on a 1/4 mile patch, those that don't better be careful. Short stoplight to stoplight and all bets are off! Let's roll!

2QUICK
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
:agree: :smokin: :CHEERS:

08-23-2004, 07:33 PM
04 Cobra here. And I'm the friend Mach1PB was talking about. Love the Mach's fella's and I try and give a thumbs up whenever I can. I've raced Mach1PB's mach and I've raced an auto and another 5 speed Mach. Very nice cars but you gotta have some cannibalism once in awhile to keep things intresting. :D

pdmustgt
08-24-2004, 01:02 AM
You know you could put the cobra engine and trans in our mach 1's . Or just supercharge the current engine.

Hey I like the cobra's and my mach 1

Mach 1 Boy
08-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by pdmustgt
You know you could put the cobra engine and trans in our mach 1's . Or just supercharge the current engine.

Hey I like the cobra's and my mach 1
:weird:

P Machy
08-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah, all them 03 & 04 Cobra owners are such dikheads! Im so happy i sold my 03 Cobra & i dont even know why i hang out with that crowd.

:rolleyes:

I dont know if there is some B.S.-ing going on or not, but aint no way a Mach1 after getting into 3rd gear will pull a 03 or 04 Cobra. If you have met some good drivers....dont be surprised when they spank you!....well unless they are completely stock.

I have 4.56 gears and afteri get into 3rd gear (70mph) the 03 & 04 Cobra's are walking me. Seen it proved at the track. Friend would run almost completely stock (tires and all). With ET Street's id hit the 1/8th marker 1st BUT at the 1000' marker....the 03 Cobra would reach there 1st.

SonicVenum
08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Man, sorry you ran into an a**hole, and an idiot who doesn't know how to drive all at the same time. I have plenty of friends that don't drive Cobras, and I respect all their cars.

As far as ANY of you thinking you can hang with me at all... my street tires are 315 Nittos, and I've had a little bit of practice... bring your A-game.:p

BTW... I've got a bit of the giggle gas too. I'll use it if I have too.:ANGEL:

Btw... thanks for the back up, Greg.:mad:

Godspeed
08-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey, it takes a lot of serious rubber to hook on the street with a motor that makes the kind of torque an '03/'04 Cobra makes. The IRS doesn't make that job any easier. I don't care if you have 1000 HP and Torque out the wazoo...getting that transformed into forward movement is just plain hard if you don't have the rubber to plant the car. Bottom line is it is going to be a tight race on the street if the stoplights are close together. The closer together the better the Mach will do. The farther apart the better the Cobra will do. I have raced two and have to say that I lost worse against my buddy's modded LS1 than the Cobra (I narrowly took one of the Cobras in a very short race). My attitude is I fear nothing that has stock/near stock tires...especially when the next light is close!

If all our Machs had about 25 more HP and 200 lbs less weight I think there would be even more interesting conversations here.

P Machy
08-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by SonicVenum
Man, sorry you ran into an a**hole, and an idiot who doesn't know how to drive all at the same time. I have plenty of friends that don't drive Cobras, and I respect all their cars.

As far as ANY of you thinking you can hang with me at all... my street tires are 315 Nittos, and I've had a little bit of practice... bring your A-game.:p

BTW... I've got a bit of the giggle gas too. I'll use it if I have too.:ANGEL:

Btw... thanks for the back up, Greg.:mad:

no ****, whats up with that yo!

SonicVenum
08-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Godspeed
Hey, it takes a lot of serious rubber to hook on the street with a motor that makes the kind of torque an '03/'04 Cobra makes. The IRS doesn't make that job any easier. I don't care if you have 1000 HP and Torque out the wazoo...getting that transformed into forward movement is just plain hard if you don't have the rubber to plant the car. Bottom line is it is going to be a tight race on the street if the stoplights are close together. The closer together the better the Mach will do. The farther apart the better the Cobra will do. I have raced two and have to say that I lost worse against my buddy's modded LS1 than the Cobra (I narrowly took one of the Cobras in a very short race). My attitude is I fear nothing that has stock/near stock tires...especially when the next light is close!

If all our Machs had about 25 more HP and 200 lbs less weight I think there would be even more interesting conversations here. You're right. Of course, I don't even really race on the street, and if I do, it's a wide open road, or empty street that's LONG. A short light to light race is just too **** dangerous. I've learned to cope with the IRS, but I'm still going solid in the future.:gears:

Edit: I just posted this, and it edited the word D A M N. That's funny.

SonicVenum
08-27-2004, 03:07 AM

It's additional mass that needs to be "spun up" to higher RPM's; sort of like a heavy flywheel vs. a lighter flywheel. There is no such thing as free HP. You have to rob it from somewhere to gain it somewhere else. I didn't see this earlier when I posted cause I just skimmed.

The Cobra comes with a positive displacement blower. It moves the same volume of air on EVERY revolution. There IS parasitic loss, but it creates TQ almost instantly.

On my 91 octane street tune, my car makes over 400 ft-lbs of tq from ~2600 rpm to ~6200 rpm, with 450 being peak tq at ~4500 rpm.

Positive displacement blowers are the least efficient form of forced induction, but they make for one hell of a fun street car.:D

chunkysoup
08-27-2004, 10:48 AM
yeah, Cobra owners are pricks, especially the ones in SoCal:p

Keith.red.mach1
08-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I have ran several Cobras.

I always stay close and do well until they hit 3rd. They pull past me at that point. But stop light to stop light I don't get embarassed.

Most of the guys are surprised as hell when it happens. They ask me what I have done. I have Nittos, h pipe, K&N, and chip.

I love the Cobras and my Mach. I used to have a 97 Cobra.

With all that said I have boost envy!

P Machy
08-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by chunkysoup
yeah, Cobra owners are pricks, especially the ones in SoCal:p

Freaking Chunky! Perry go back to ur watering whole :p

P Machy
08-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Keith.red.mach1
I have ran several Cobras.

I always stay close and do well until they hit 3rd. They pull past me at that point. But stop light to stop light I don't get embarassed.

Most of the guys are surprised as hell when it happens. They ask me what I have done. I have Nittos, h pipe, K&N, and chip.

I love the Cobras and my Mach. I used to have a 97 Cobra.

With all that said I have boost envy!

Exactly!

i just think some thing is fishy, but who knows. Some City Streets must only be 300feet or some thing from red light to red light :blah:

chunkysoup
08-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by P Machy
Freaking Chunky! Perry go back to ur watering whole :p :LAUGH:

Mach1Madman
08-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Godspeed
[BMy attitude is I fear nothing that has stock/near stock tires...especially when the next light is close!

If all our Machs had about 25 more HP and 200 lbs less weight I think there would be even more interesting conversations here. [/B] Word. I say the same thing. No hook up and yer toast. I had a bada$$ 406 Ch*vy in a 4x4 it would go like hell but I had no hook up on snow tires.:SMASH: :LAUGH: After about 1/8 mile it would hook and crank. It's still a truck though.:blah: :OFFTOPIC: sorry.

OrangeCrush
08-29-2004, 03:30 PM
SonicVenum,

I would be glad to run you, and I never bring anything but my "A" game.

I am abut to make some people mad but here we go:

Cobras are a good car, but they are over rated by most people, now I hang out with the SVT club here in town and I get along with all of them they are a good group of guys.(guess I am lucky no aholes in this group)

There are 2 that are faster than I am and one that has went .03 faster than I have, but that was in good air and at a good track, now my best was set 3 weeks ago, not 3 months ago in 40 degree perfect air. About the 2 that are faster one is a Lightning and it has everything done to it and runs 11.50-11.33(best) it is awsome and he is a good guy. The other is a 03 vert that went 11.0 2 days ago, who has a KB and everything including the kitchen sink,lol again good guy, but both of them have spent over 15000 after the purchase price of the car to get where they are at.

I have about 3k in my car and I would say that I am gaining on them fast, I have not even done all of the bolt ons yet.

I drove alot of Cobras about a month ago, I was thinking of trading my Mach for one, but I am not kidding they seem slow when they are stock, now I agree that in 3rd they will pull a Mach but in the 1/8 I say a mach will run door to door, and that the Cobra will play catch up until about the 1/8 and then pull ahead.

I would put my stock 1/8th mile times up against any stock Cobra.

Now that I think of it SonicVenum what is your 1/8th mile times, I bet you are not more than .2 faster than I am in the 1/8th and I would also bet that you are not as fast in the 330.

Also now that the Cobra guys are using 2 power adders I am looking at having a second stage added to the Mach, that should put me alittle closer to them if not ahead of them.

MachOneThis
08-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Ditto Jim

I agree - a blower - a pulley and a bottle to run sub 11.50 - I'd sell the car - what a piece of crap.

We have never had a no pulley Cobra outrun us - are there some that can , most definitely, but apparently not around here. We have outrun many pullied Cobras in the 1/4 - not just to the 1/8 mile mark. Jim - did you see the red 03 at the track this week - the runs sounded clean and I never saw it go below 12.80 - he hot lapped a few times and it fell into the 13's. Michael missed third gear Thuraday night and went ahead and finished the run @ a 12.76 at 108.95 - no power adders - no power adders either for the 12.29 pass. 12.29 pass - no lightweight racing seats - all sway bars and shocks still in place - car does not even have a cold air kit. But I have addressed the basics when it comes to a drag car - make no mistake about it - the Mach is a drag car - the Cobra was built for road racing and does it well.

My brother bought an 03 Cobra right after Michael got the Mach. He came by to give us a ride. When we got back home, I asked Michael what he thought and Michael said I was hoping he would get in it a little - I said he did.

SonicVenum
08-29-2004, 06:51 PM
OrangeCrush, 1/8th mile - 7.28 @ 96.22. 330' - 4.73.

MachOneThis, not ONCE did I say ANYTHING negative about the Mach. Frankly, your ignorance is amusing. You know NOTHING about my run except for the ET and trap. The DA at the time of my run was over 4300'. I can pretty much guarantee you your car would've had to pull some magic out of its tailpipes to run below a 13.00. If you convert my ET/Trap to an ideal DA, you get something like 10.5 @ 129. However, I don't count it if it's not on my timeslip, so I stand by the #s in my sig.

A guy I see at the track a lot has probably one of the fastest, if not THE fastest NA Machs in So Cal. He's got EVERYTHING done... bolt-ons, full drag suspension, built rear end, slicks, etc. He goes sub-13 at that same track. I believe the other night, in pretty bad DA, he was consistently running 12.90s. This guy also knows how to drive pretty **** well, and launches like an animal. You can't compare your numbers at a different track, in different weather, to what we have to deal with out here.

All that being said, I think the Mach is a pretty cool car. I would own one myself, but I fell in love with Cobras years ago, and had wanted one since then.

BTW... let me know if either of you ever plan on making a road trip out to So Cal. I'd love to show you around.:CHEERS:

MachOneThis
08-29-2004, 08:47 PM
SonicVenum

The remark you made left very little to misunderstand. If I did - I'm sorry.

"As far as ANY of you thinking you can hang with me at all... my street tires are 315 Nittos, and I've had a little bit of practice... bring your A-game. "

I love all cars (especially Fords) and am some what of a perfectionist when it comes to tuning one. I used to do some pretty serious racing and built my own motors. If i ran slower than 8.50 - I loaded my crap up and took it home to pull the motor. No blowers - no nitrous - NA. I quit racing in the 90s, but I assure you I understand air density and track conditions. I am proud to say our 12.29 came well above sea level and we will see an 11 before the year is over - different air and track would get us an 11 without any other mods. I argue the DA and track conditions with other Mach owners - there are NA Machs online faster than us, but we were not at the same track nor did we have below sea level air which is what is required for many posted runs on the net. Our car is a street car - never seen a trailer and we will not jepordize the integrity of it being a street car. We have never entered the Mach in a race - we just go to test n tune and play because that's why we bought it - to have fun. We will start bracket racing it some - will be fun.

Thanks for the invite - maybe one day a few us could load up and come on a road trip - think I'll pass on LACR, but Carlsbad is fine.

My statement about blowers, pullies and nitrous was made with regional conditions in mind. If I was in Denver at Mile High - that statement still is true.

Sorry for the rant, but calling someone ignorant when they have the 5th fastest recorded naturally aspirated Mach in the country is ignorant. 2 of the four that are quicker are pretty much race cars. The other 2 - we'll see when we get in the same air.

SonicVenum
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
You must have missed the ":p" at the end of that sentence. It was all in good fun. Hell, one of my closest car buddies has a Mach.

Since you do in fact understand DA, then I don't see how you can stand by this statement...

"I agree - a blower - a pulley and a bottle to run sub 11.50 - I'd sell the car - what a piece of crap."

I would bet $500 that your car , as it sits NA, COULD NOT run a 12.5 at LACR on a summer day. I am in no way a gambling man. It's just basically a fact. Setting a number, say 11.50, and then assuming you should be able to hit that number in ANY conditions is just plain ridiculous. You even say that you argue DA with other Mach owners who run at low DA blessed tracks. BTW, at what DA did your 12.29 come?

"My statement about blowers, pullies and nitrous was made with regional conditions in mind. If I was in Denver at Mile High - that statement still is true."

It's actually funny you bring up Denver. There's a guy who owns a BAD *** Cobra up there who just recently got into the 11s. They are high 11s. Is his car a piece of crap because of that? NO. He runs at a track where DA goes OVER 8000'.

I called you ignorant because you were. You were ignorant of the fact that my run was at a high DA. Besides, I don't see how having a fast car makes it impossible for you to be ignorant. You say you have the 5th fastest recorded time for an NA Mach. What are you basing that off of? Off of a webstie where people post times? Or do you have spies at EVERY track in the country? According to the listing on a major board I visit, I have the 12th fastest Cobra in the country? Do I really? HELL NO. There are A LOT of people that don't even go online or post their times.

I can't take you to C-bad since it's gone. The dozers killed it a couple weeks ago. I hated that track anyway.

LACR is my home track.

MachOneThis
08-29-2004, 10:58 PM
This will be my last post on this subject.

A minute ago we would be lucky to run 13.00 @ LACR - now you want to bet $500 we cannot run 12.50. Ironically 12.50 is close to what we would run there, but we would probably have to be there at night in the summer. In the winter we could still pull off the 12.29 which was run at 2000 feet. NHRA correction factor for LACR is just under .9679 which would slow most cars corrected ET by about 3 tenths. Your hot air (not considered in altitude correction, but does factor in to DA) is another problem which can slow cars another 3-4 tenths. Our air goes over 3000 feet on many summer days (I know you would kill for that). LACR does have very low humidty - this afternoon it was 14%. Catch LACR early and late in the year - some very good air does happen with low temps and humidity. Granted it is almost impossible to get good air there in the summer time. There is NA Mach on this site that has run 12.0s in 3100 DA air.

Yeah - I guess you are right - Denver - a blower - pullied and a bottle and 11.90s. I don't know how he does it - Jim - help, I'm out of here.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Cobras are awesome cars - no, I'm not kidding.

Tomcat427
08-29-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm just going to put 15K into a 91 Coupe and I bet I get to the end of the 1/4 first:LAUGH: :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

What to do with the other $20K:p
j/k

Time and money will make any car fast.

Exhaust and gears put me in front of every stock 03 Cobra I raced at the 1/8 and 1/4. I have seen many times faster than me out of stock Cobra's. Somehow none of them were ever at a track the same time I was. Now I just turn on the little red lights and don't worry about any of them unless they have a cage.

I dont think this discussion is ever going to end. They are 2 different cars, made for different styles, and they are both awesome. Plus with $40,000 you can buy(new) and make either car pretty freaking fast.

I couldn't help myself, had to post on this thread. I want to race Cobra's! :ANGEL:

Tomcat427
08-30-2004, 12:06 AM
This should be fun.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121968

MachOneThis
08-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Allright - maybe not my last post.

Tomcat your right - I put a few thousand in my Walmart lawn mower and now it runs like a John Deer.

How fast do you want to go - how much money do you have??? It's that simple and then of course you must get it to the ground which a Mach does pretty well. We have outrun Cobras that had as much as 600 rear wheel HP - we have less than 400 rear wheel as most NA Machs do. Yeah - he would cream us from a fast enough roll but from a dig - another story. And yes - I can be provoked to spray.

Jester
08-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Tomcat427
This should be fun.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121968

subscribing...:D

P Machy
08-30-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by MachOneThis
This will be my last post on this subject.

A minute ago we would be lucky to run 13.00 @ LACR - now you want to bet $500 we cannot run 12.50. Ironically 12.50 is close to what we would run there, but we would probably have to be there at night in the summer. In the winter we could still pull off the 12.29 which was run at 2000 feet. NHRA correction factor for LACR is just under .9679 which would slow most cars corrected ET by about 3 tenths. Your hot air (not considered in altitude correction, but does factor in to DA) is another problem which can slow cars another 3-4 tenths. Our air goes over 3000 feet on many summer days (I know you would kill for that). LACR does have very low humidty - this afternoon it was 14%. Catch LACR early and late in the year - some very good air does happen with low temps and humidity. Granted it is almost impossible to get good air there in the summer time. There is NA Mach on this site that has run 12.0s in 3100 DA air.

Yeah - I guess you are right - Denver - a blower - pullied and a bottle and 11.90s. I don't know how he does it - Jim - help, I'm out of here.

Sorry if I have offended anyone. Cobras are awesome cars - no, I'm not kidding.

uhm.....no, i would highly doubt that any one will ever run a 12.29 @ LACR with a mildly modded mach1. XraxerX is the only mach that has hit 12.8xx and who has about 9 more mods then i do. DA is one thing but with a good prep, that can make up alot! my best run just came in this past Sunday & trust me, it was HOT but non the less trapped my best ET with the DA on my sig!

now u throw n2o into the equation....maybe a 12.29 but i wonder what kinda shot that one needs!

MachOneThis
08-30-2004, 02:54 AM
A couple of things -

First of all my jumping on this subject was not to say what I could or could not run at LACR. I jumped in because he essentialliy said he would take on any Mach at this site - smiley face or not. Real brave to be so cocky when you have two power adders. There is Mach on this site now that has gone 11.00 and fixing to go faster with one power adder. You're not going to take a 12.20 car at near 2000 feet and turn it in to a 13 sec car at LACR. The DA there is not always 5000 feet - hell, our track goes over 3000 on crappy air days in mid of summer on 90 degree plus temps. Who knows - I might hook better at LACR. I'm just saying there is no ET short of low 9s that would impress me with a pullied blower and nitrous - take off 1 sec for DA if you like. I see you ran 12.65 in 1700+ DA - that is almost exactly the same air that got us the 12.29. Track prep - right - we never get it on TnT nights. The 12.29 was with 60 foot in the 1.70s - track was crap. There was a Cobra at TnT Friday night that went 11.04 - no bottle and still alot of room for improvement on the launch.

Everyone needs to quit crying about LACR DA - it does get fair early and late in the year.

P Machy
08-30-2004, 03:12 AM
no i didnt say u could or could not.....kindly do not extend what i post into some thing i did not say as i did not on ur post.

my driving style differs from alot of the drivers since i will NOT dump my clutch.....i only have the stock axles & dif.

folks who live further east do not counter what we face in Cali, thus the invite to any one who thinks that we are BS come with some $$$ and prove ur ET will stand up out here. IT WONT.

some folks such as Bob Cosby only get the attention due to the fact that he runs on some **** good tracks....would he get the same recognition had he run in cali's shitty tracks? u know the answer will be a NO!

shot! not even a 98 Cobra fully modded via NA hitting 1.5xx 60' can break the 12.5 marker....but we shall see at the end of the year / DA or no DA....but we dont even drop below 3000' in 30 degrees!

so ur claims of bad *** numbers only get u so much respect....and its fast dont get me wrong but from what i see week to week / Turbo, S/C or N20 Mach will never compete against a 03 Cobra.

also just cause folks run into some chitty drivers at the track it doesnt mean squate and to talk like the machs even had a chance with a good driver behind a terminator, well its just crazy talk.....but non the less, such as life folks will judge an entire group based on some stupid experience.

P Machy
08-30-2004, 03:16 AM
BTW: if u do go to the track alot then u know this would be true.

Good Drivers in each car & it being stock for stock....who wins?
The car can do alot but if the dildo behind the wheel cant drive it, it doesnt mean u got a fair chance against whats really out there.

Reality Check PLEASE!

MachOneThis
08-30-2004, 03:37 AM
It is sad we all do not run at the same track.

All anyone can experience and comment on is what they encounter on their local tracks. How long should I look for someone who can drive a stock one past us - it's been 20 months. There are a lot of Cobras here in Memphis. I guess none of them could drive when they were stock - no stock Cobra ever outran us even when we had less mods. Everyone knows that the reason a stock Cobra has a hard time time in a drag race is the 2.64 low gear and the IRS - bog & wheel hop is what you get unless you slip the hell out of the clutch. Yes - pully it and mod it and finally the power will get high enough to cure that low gear problem. If I wanted to drag race a Cobra - new trans and straight axle.

I did not say anything that you did not say or imply. You are saying I cannot back my time up at LACR. No I cannot not in todays air, but early and late in the year - yes I can. I just checked Accuweather.com and the DA does get well below 2700 feet late and early in the year. Not sure if track is open year round or not, but in winter months air gets down to 1500 and lower sometimes.

You should be able to back up your 12.65 there - hope you do.

corysmach1
08-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Mach 1's and 03 Cobra's are both awesome cars and they both come from Ford.:THUMBSUP: Mach 1's and Cobra's are different cars I bought the Mach because it looks good and is great in straight line perforomance and not that that Cobra isnt but I am not all about driving around going from 40mph rolls. Now with a live axle and DR's then the Cobra is a different car. i have yet to be beaten by an 03 Cobra through a 1/4 mile and yes it was stock. I am sure it is just a matter of time. i will actually be racing an 03 Cobra Convertible with x-pipe, catback, K-N aircharger, so I will see how do in that one and report back. I love both cars and if I could have both I would.

03_Sonic_Blur
08-30-2004, 04:41 AM

All anyone can experience and comment on is what they encounter on their local tracks. How long should I look for someone who can drive a stock one past us - it's been 20 months. There are a lot of Cobras here in Memphis. I guess none of them could drive when they were stock - no stock Cobra ever outran us even when we had less mods. Everyone knows that the reason a stock Cobra has a hard time time in a drag race is the 2.64 low gear and the IRS - bog & wheel hop is what you get unless you slip the hell out of the clutch. Yes - pully it and mod it and finally the power will get high enough to cure that low gear problem. If I wanted to drag race a Cobra - new trans and straight axle.

I did not say anything that you did not say or imply. You are saying I cannot back my time up at LACR. No I cannot not in todays air, but early and late in the year - yes I can. I just checked Accuweather.com and the DA does get well below 2700 feet late and early in the year. Not sure if track is open year round or not, but in winter months air gets down to 1500 and lower sometimes.

I've never seen a DA lower than 2700 ft at LACR on a raceday. It might happen sometime over night, or when it is snowing, but not during any event I've attended there. Tough track to run at, I've seen avg summer raceday DA's of 6k to 7k ft. Very tough to find power, especially without a blower

And since Carlsbad is gone, it's high altitude base elevation tracks in SoCal, every one of them at least 1k ft or higher. I've never heard of a negative DA day here

P Machy
08-30-2004, 01:46 PM

not trying to point or push any ur way in a bad sense at all.

just some folks think that they are faster then a car but the fact is that they just are a better driver then the other person....see it all the time but i wouldnt ever go around to say & post that they had a chance.

we have the fastest 5speed national record holder who did it at LACR @ 8.99. i feel that x2c's 03 Cobra Turbo running into the 9.4 at LACR is the fastest if they would go into houston to run against strickly performence 03 Cobra KB + n2o car. we had the fastest lightning with Dale03 until some one in the east coast beat his ET by a few hundred....but them rides be with some HIGH HP. So with that said, no way will a Mach Block be able to do some times that i have seen possible with out dumping some serious cash into the motor.

i came from the TERMINATOR community. im 6/10th's off my best at LACR & only 3/10th's at C-bad but thats only because the 03 Cobra didnt want to co-operate with me. i only ran with BFG DR's on the 03 Cobra and no way in heck can my Mach duplicate them ET's with out some serious mods....plus i didnt drive the car to its full possibilities so i laugh at folks who think that they could even compete with a NA Mach or even with some serious power adders.

if you look at the top list of the mach's running in the nation, u wont find any till u see charles ET....but i wonder why there is so many midwest to east coast members?

OrangeCrush
08-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Wow,

I was out of touch for a few days and this post has taken off. I will have to point out some things that have been pointed out. We all base our opinions on what we see and know, but we (none of us) see and know everything.

I think part of what is going on here is that a Cobra in bad air and with hot air is not as effected as a N/A Mach, so all you guys that are running at bad air places think that the Mach is crap, we here in ok air (not perfect but good) see that we go door to door with the Stock Cobra and we say they are not all that.

I wont begin to tell you what I would run at your track or what you would run at my track, I will tell you that all of the stock Cobras that I have seen here in Memphis run 12.9-13.1 now my Mach went 13.15 stock so I would say that is door to door, and I cut ok lights so I had a shot at everyone of them.

I want to point out something else this is the Mach 1 site, not the Cobra site, so if you post here and it is neg. about the Mach you should expect to get some feed back.

About 2 months ago I went 12.20 on DR and N2O it was my first pass on gas, I logged on here and was excited to post it, and in that post I said that I should be able to get into the 11's with tires and some practice, I was told I was stupid, and that at that level .2 is alot, the next week I went 11.98 then 11.89 then 11.84, 3 weeks ago I went 11.62 in the middle of Aug. so I am sure there is more to be had in the car. I said all this to point out that I will try not to tell you what you can or can not do in your car, and I will expect the same from all of you. I log on here to help and get help, not to listen to how a modded Cobra with 2 power adders is faster than I am, so all you Cobra guys can head on over to your own site and talk about what a Azz hole Orange Crush is, and if you are anywhere around Memphis you feel free to look me up or just go to the track and ask for the Orange Mach, but dont be suprised if you ask your Cobra buddies and they look at you and ask "are you sure you want to do this":D

I will race any car out there, why because I know that if any of you make one mistake you will be mine.

So come on down to Memphis and get some if you want some.

Mach1Madman
08-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by OrangeCrush

I want to point out something else this is the Mach 1 site, not the Cobra site, so if you post here and it is neg. about the Mach you should expect to get some feed back.
Yeah, I agree.:!!: OrangeCrush u got big "stones". :THUMBSUP:

dru521
02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
honestly its not that cobras dont 60 ft well, its that cobra drivers dont 60 ft well , anyone can drive a solid rear car, theres a trick to driving the irs cars, when i bought my 04 cobra, i took it to the dragstrip that night and in totally stock form it had a 1.881 60 ft time, how many bone stock machs can accomplish that ? like i was saying its not the cobras its the drivers

Iamchris
02-18-2005, 01:27 AM
I would be a little curious to see a bone stock Mach run on stock Cobra wheels though, to be honest. A bit wider and lighter...
Sure, its then not "bone stock"... BUT tires are very iffy in this case, not like it is then running on slicks.

dbsample
02-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Well I don't know for sure who would win from stop light to stop light, and don't really care. But I do know for sure that the Mach wins every race in looks :yes:

Shaker Dan
02-18-2005, 08:46 AM
There is no reason to dog the Cobra! Come on! Some of these posts are ridiculous. We don't need to be dogging other Mustangs. Both cars are outstanding examples of Mustangs. I believe it was MM&FF that said the two best Mustangs ever, about the Cobra and the Mach.

Get a grip on the attitudes! There are several reasons people choose one car over the other. Mine was looks but it did not take anything away from the Cobra. It just didn't stand out to me like the Mach

And Orange Crush, I agree if someone posts something negative about the Mach they should expect something in return, but we can also follow that rule no matter what kind of site we are on.

dru521
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
well can anyone match that 1.881 60 foot if i need to ill find the slip and post it. this is off the showroom floor, the cobra is a superior car, it doesnt take much to drive a mach off the line, the cobra it does. most people who own a cobra owned a solid rear car before and are used to just punching it and going. 372 rwhp bone stock!!!!

ITS BACK
02-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Like stated above it is all about the driver. I have raced four of them in the 1/4. Beat one vert by .5 sec, one pulled by a fender, and two beat me by 1 & 2 cars. All of them were near stock, only gears, exhaust and air filter at most.

Every Cobra owner I've meet have liked the Mach's. Yes the ones that know me well give me sh!t about being under powered. They'll just have to wait and see about how under powered they will be in a couple months.

Ironcross
02-19-2005, 05:24 AM
There are several reasons people choose one car over the other. Mine was looks but it did not take anything away from the Cobra. It just didn't stand out to me like the Mach

I agree. I'd have bought a cobra in the summer of 02 had they not added $5k to the sticker for "Market Adjustment". That really pissed me off!

When I bought my Mach, at the end of 03, it was because I thought it to be the best bang for buck. I could just as easily bought a cobra but I thought the Mach was a better deal(and I didn't like the IRS). I stand by my decision.