PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Speed shop?

rsnider
08-20-2004, 08:35 PM
I have seriously considered puting some kind of computer mod on the Mach but... after reading the story of AMP I'm not sure where to go? I may go to AMP and listen, in person, to their side of the story. (Let the Flames begin). I can then decide if I'm comfortable enough to take it there. Eric took his 03DSG there for mods and they treated him OK.

Someone give me alternatives to AMP so I can make an educated decission.

my04
08-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Rick I would try Lopers Speed Shop. Ive have delt with AMP and theyre ok sometimes. I bought my Tri-axe and Mac Hpipe from them and the were cool. I have a friend who has a 04 gt and had them put in a cage and a tune it with a diablo tunner and the car lost 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile. He took it to Lopers and they retuned it and it picked up the 4 tenths and then some. The guys at lopers just seem a little more friendly and dont treat you like theyre the only ones in the world that know how to work on a stang. just my .02.
Ethan

QTRPONY
08-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Rick,

This is not an isolated incident. It has happened before and I have no doubt it will continue to happen as long as they stay in bussiness.

How do I know? I have gone through a similar experience however not to the extent that the recent emails going around have described. I am not going to go through it all but just the highlights:

I talked to them and got an estimate for them to pull the stock motor out of the GT and install the built 347 and a level 3 tranny to go with it.

Even though I had paid $3K of it up front and continued to make large payments -it took them over 2 months to get my car done!

After about 5 weeks I started getting pissed off that they were not working on my car. I talked to Tom and told him it was ******** that it was taking so long and that every time I went in there they were never working on my car. One of the guys there told me off the record that since I had paid most of the money up front that they were in no hurry to work on my car and were too busy doing others so they could bring in more cash. Total ********!!

I stopped paying any more money up front because they were dragging their *** and told Tom I would pay the balance when it was done. He told me it would be done in a week. Well a week later I went in and it did not look like anything had been done since I left. Tom and I went in to his office along with Devon who I had been working with. Obvioulsy I was pissed off and was going to speak my mind but had no intentions of getting violent.

I go in to the office and I lean my *** on a desk which I guess belonged to Tom's dad. Tom got all explosive and got in to my face. We came very close to going to blows.

If he had said something along the lines of "hey can you do me a favor and not lean your *** against my dad's desk" I would have respected that. To me it was not a big deal and when somebody leans against my desk at work, I could give give a **** less. It is not like it was anything special-it's an average desk in a garage for heaven's sake. BUT to get into a verbal confrontation with an unsatisfied customer who has already paid you $5000 up front (What I had paid after 6 weeks) is ludicrous.

I am thinking that is his MO. If he can get you into a confrontation then he can try to use that against you to screw you and get out of doing the job. Luckly I did not bite. After spending 20 years in the Military (I am an E-8 \Master Sergeant on active duty in the Army) including USMC Infantry and Army SF, I am pretty sure I would have won the battle but lost the war. My car was sitting out back with no motor and the half completed block was on the floor next to the tranny and heads. I was on their property by myself so if the cops would have been called I am sure how the story would have gone-I would have been the one that assaulted him. He would have pulled some ******** and never would have finished the car.

After that all blew over I rarely talked to Tom. It took two more weeks to get my car done. As far as the work that was done -I really can't complain. Other than a few minor problems that I fixed myself or had done in another shop my car runs great. I have driven it to work nearly every day for the last year (I drive the Mach on weekends) and I ran mid 12's at FFW last year so I am happy with that.

BUT I would never go back there to have any work done period. I got a $75 gift Certificate from them around X-mas time and used that to buy some exhaust parts but that is the only time I have gone in there since I picked up my car.

AS far as Tom Thompson-I have no use for him period. I have not seen him since, other than when I picked up the exhaust but if I see him around town and he ever says **** to me I will make things right.

I have all of the receipts with all the dates when payments and amounts were made if you want to see them. I will just say that I dropped a pretty big chunk of change in there and I was treated like ****.

I know Eric was fairly happy with the work that was done on his car but then again he had several problems with the tranny and I don't think his speedo ever worked right after they put a chip in it. Also, I don't think he had it too long after the work so I wonder how it is running now. Too bad the guy who bought it does not post here so we could find out.

Bottom line I am happy with the work that was done but not the length of time it took. AS far as the customer service-how many unsatisfied customers does it take? One guy having a problem, I give the the benefit of doubt. **** happens and there are always two sides BUT when a large number of people get screwed or refuse to do business with them you might want to look elsewhere. MY car runs great but I would never go back there. That should tell you something.

Do yourself a favor and go anywhere but AMP.
Here are a couple of options:

http://arizonadynochip.com/

http://www.adsaz.biz/

Kieth at AZ Dyno chip customised the exhaust on my GT and would be who I would use. I am a member of another Mustang Club and I have NEVER heard of anybody not being satisfied with his work. They have a new dyno and they do chips. His place was called Streetflight but they are just moving in to a new shop (AZ Dyno Chip) and having a grand opening this weekend.

ADS did the chip in my GT and I am satisfied with them and would use them again but I have not heard of anybody else using them.

drboyd
08-21-2004, 03:50 AM
Well, I've heard just about enough **** about these guys to know what their deal is.

Here's my vote - every Mustang owner in Phoenix calls and starts talking about how their uncle just died and left them a whole pile of money and they've always wanted to build the baddest motor ever so they could take that guy down the block in the Camaro who's been talking **** for the last year.

Then either (a) tell them you'll be down at the shop Friday afternoon at 5:45 and ask if they could pleeeease wait for you and ask them if hundred dollar bills are ok or (b) say, "Oh, wait a minute! Are you that Tom guy? Oh, man - I heard about your ****!" ...and laugh and hang up. :SMASH: