PDA

View Full Version : Worried about the MACH1

machXLR8
08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
From what is being advertised and what I am reading on this site about all the cars comming out with all this horsepower, it sounds like our MACH1's are going to be the slow boy on the block. The Mustang GT is comming out with 300 Hp, the GTO is getting the LS2 400+Hp motor as well as the SSR and the Corvette also has the LS2 plus a significant weight advantage. I'll bet even the 06 Cobra will also be pushed to 400+Hp. It looks like the MACH1s are not going to handle anything significant except some 4 or cylinder ricers. This su*#ks. I thought this car would have ranked up top for at least 2 or 3 years... but I guess we are going to loose after one.

LS1 Eater
08-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Well the new GT is 300hp, but you got to look at the amount of weight it added. It will probably still run the same times as the old GT's did in whatever transmission you choose. And the GTO and all of them getting the LS2 400hp+ motor, you got to look at the cost of the GTO with it. I would assume its going to be 35k+ at minimum. Give us the extra difference between the price of our car and their car for performance with a supercharger, and we'll easily put out 500rwhp :THUMBSUP: The new GTO will be suited for Cobra competition, the first year was competition was for us in our Mach1's.

03ZincMach1
08-11-2004, 02:06 PM
well you didnt buy your car to be the fastest car on the street , because there are many cars faster than the mach(even though they are much, much more money)

You prolly bought it based upon looks and heritage as well, at least i know i did. I will always keep a mustang in my stable(even if i have to live in it
:MADNOEL: )

Puls, how much will a GTO cost? $40,000? compared to your $25,000 mach.

what you do is put the extra $15,000 into your mach(built motor, sc, tc, nitrous) blow them away and still have some money left over.

I dont care if my car is slower than some b/c it sounds **** good and look ssooooo much better than anythign gm offers

okay, none of that prolly made any sense b/c i was ranting. oh well hope u get my point

Mach1driver
08-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by machXLR8
This su*#ks. I thought this car would have ranked up top for at least 2 or 3 years... but I guess we are going to loose after one.

Well, in a little over 3 months mine will be 2 years old. The only car on your list that will be available then is the new Mustang GT.

LS1 Eater
08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
As far as NEW cars go, that maybe true. But let us not forget all the old LT1/LS1's that are still around needing some good beatings! :COOL:

raj
08-11-2004, 02:32 PM
i don't think we need to worry...i still believe our mach's are way faster than the advertised 305 hp...they will be pretty darn close to the new era of high hp cars

Shake&Bake
08-11-2004, 02:48 PM
There are always going to be faster cars than ours. But a limited production vehicle that is just plain "cool" never gets old. Plus, mid 13's straight out of the box, this car will always bring a smile to my face.:COOL:

Supernova
08-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by LS1 Eater
Well the new GT is 300hp, but you got to look at the amount of weight it added. It will probably still run the same times as the old GT's did in whatever transmission you choose. And the GTO and all of them getting the LS2 400hp+ motor, you got to look at the cost of the GTO with it. I would assume its going to be 35k+ at minimum. Give us the extra difference between the price of our car and their car for performance with a supercharger, and we'll easily put out 500rwhp :THUMBSUP: The new GTO will be suited for Cobra competition, the first year was competition was for us in our Mach1's.

From what I've seen, the 05 GT weighs about the same as the current car ~34XX lbs. Although I've seen the reports on the internet about some 05 GT at a track, I'm sure when they come out and we all see them at the track, they'll be faster than the previous model. Will they be faster than the Mach1, who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if they were close, though.

I'm sure the LS2 GTO will be a "nice" car for what it is, but it still looks like crap. Nice interior, nice engine, crappy looks. I'm sure it'll be faster though. But those cars are almost $35K now, I wouldn't be surprised if the LS2 cars were even more (as in closer to $40K). Don't know for sure, though...

boney
08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
A 1969/1970 Boss 302 was never the fastest..................but wouldn't you love to have one?

Dave

Shake&Bake
08-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by boney
A 1969/1970 Boss 302 was never the fastest..................but wouldn't you love to have one?

Dave

boney ... I hear yah man ......... Mach On .....:CHEERS:

NowellsMach1
08-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, maybe more HP but that GTO is VERY plain looking and the SSR is just plain weird looking, I'll take my Mach anytime :p

falcongtho3
08-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I didn;t buy mine thinking it would be fastest on the block. Lots of power and the retro pieces suit my just fine. I can't say the same thing for anyone who actually did buy a GTO, the dealers are scrambling to refit scooped hoods (will weren't suppposed to be standard until '05) just to try to move the '04's off of the lots. It still doesn't help in the HP dept. where those who did buy the GTO will be in a similar boat as first year Z06 buyers...who saw a big bump in horsepwer with little upcharge, but GTO buyers will be shelling out more bucks.

rudejohn
08-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by falcongtho3
I didn;t buy mine thinking it would be fastest on the block. Lots of power and the retro pieces suit my just fine.

:agree:

RJ

loathe
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Shake&Bake
There are always going to be faster cars than ours. But a limited production vehicle that is just plain "cool" never gets old. Plus, mid 13's straight out of the box, this car will always bring a smile to my face.:COOL: I agree, having a limited prod. car is cool. Plus--correct me if im wrong--but the new gts are 3 valve, and i think its only SOHC? :blah:

ponygt65
08-11-2004, 05:10 PM
I just got the new Road and Track that has the C6 corvette on it. And for having 50 more HP it only ran a 13.1. THat is VERY sad considering. Granted track conditions are different and R&T does NOT have the greatest drivers. 400 HP running high 12's low 13's in that type of weight, That is just plan sad.

I love driving my wife's mach because 95% of the cars on the street are slower, not to mention the faster ones don't always have a better driver (vetts mostly).

The SSR also has only improved .2 secs on the 1/4 (mid to high 13's) according to the prelim reports.

In closing High HP does not always equal a faster car. Not to mention the bad reputation REAL muscle car owners give these OVER-Priced newer cars.

Sorry For ranting. :rolleyes:

Shake&Bake
08-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ponygt65
I

I love driving my wife's mach because 95% of the cars on the street are slower

ponygt65,

I agree with you 100%. For performance and price, plus exclusivity the Mach gives great bang for your buck value!:THUMBSUP:

badjoey
08-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Dave

in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
08-11-2004, 07:19 PM
This is why you modify if you want faster! Nothing a little dose of nitrous can't handle.

The Mach 1 for the (price/performance/looks) is in my opinion the best muscle car you can buy today!

gilmoujr
08-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Long ago, I used to be a PC Tech and there were some that would "throw" hardware at a problem in order to fix it. Basically, they would add performance while still having a problem (it would not be as slow as it used to, but it would still not be optimized to run as fast as it could). My thoughts on the GTO is...
GM decided that since the car looks like $h!T, then why not give it 400+ hp to get sales going. if the car is not selling now, then why would it sell then - except to the few that want the 400+ hp. Since word has gotten out about the LS2, good luck getting to buy a current GTO!

lamach1
08-12-2004, 03:22 AM

Dave :THUMBSUP:

70 BOSS 302. That has always been my favorite car. In fact, I was planning to buy one and then they came out with the Mach. A lot of similarities. High reving small block, shaker, stripes, and cool factor off the scale. :COOL: I think that no matter how fast they may make the newer cars they will be hard pressed to match the Mach.

GOTdaBLUE1
08-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Our Mach's are ranked up top. And, will be for many years to come. Making this list for under $30K in today's market is impressive.:

http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm :!!:

REDY2RUNMACH1
08-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Don't worry about your Mach 1...I don't care about the horsepower. The looks are what counts!!! :D Debbie

8urmach1
08-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by LS1 Eater
As far as NEW cars go, that maybe true. But let us not forget all the old LT1/LS1's that are still around needing some good beatings! :COOL:

So those machs run about $25,000? Man just think I gave $12,000 for my 02 Z, I could add a blower, all bolt ons, and uh nitrous, and uh lots of other stuff with that other money I saved. ;) Wonder if i could beat a mach then,:confused: oh wait i can beat a mach now. Well that would make me unstopable right :D

anyway, I was talking to my fellow ls1 owner and he said you now have new tires. We have decided that we know 2 ls1's you can give a beating to this weekend at aberdeen. And they cost 1/2 the price of the mach even after mods.

Just messing w/ this guy its all in fun;)

ponygt65
08-19-2004, 09:27 PM
You are comparing apples to oranges. The LS1's are old now, so of course they are cheaper. when they were new they were the same price as the machs (ss as a Z28 can't touch a mach).

lstpierr
08-20-2004, 12:29 PM
I don't care if an UGLY OLD GOAT is faster, I still got a sweet lookin' Mach, at a fraction of the cost, not to mention, a collectable at that.

How many heads can a goat turn....:COOL:

2QUICK
08-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Dave Yes, would love to have that or a '69 Mach1. Your avatar also is great!!!:CHEERS:

Jonesy
08-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Dave :THUMBSUP: Excellent point Dave, All you young guys take note, in 30 years our Machs will be what the Boss 302's are now, don't know if it will do me any good, I'll be 80 years old.:confused:

Malfest
08-20-2004, 02:29 PM
We have the head turner!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the lame goat....now a 67 goat is a different story!::o

ponygt65
08-20-2004, 05:06 PM
boss 302...I was always partial to the 429's

My three dream mustangs - 65 K GT Coupe (have it), '04 mach 1 (the wife has it), 1969 boss 429 (probably never, 2 out of 3 ain't bad). :D

yellow86coogr
08-20-2004, 07:47 PM
I have to agree with all of you. The mach is will still be a hot car in years to come. If it was just about speed alone, I would have got the cobra, which is what I was looking to buy when i saw the Mach1. The shaker got me before t(e snake could bite me.
For the extra money, i can always make it faster:D

ttown
08-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 8urmach1
So those machs run about $25,000? Man just think I gave $12,000 for my 02 Z, I could add a blower, all bolt ons, and uh nitrous, and uh lots of other stuff with that other money I saved. ;) Wonder if i could beat a mach then,:confused: oh wait i can beat a mach now. Well that would make me unstopable right :D

anyway, I was talking to my fellow ls1 owner and he said you now have new tires. We have decided that we know 2 ls1's you can give a beating to this weekend at aberdeen. And they cost 1/2 the price of the mach even after mods.

Just messing w/ this guy its all in fun;)

Ok you brought a used car. Just think I could have waited too or just brought a 5.0. 02's weren't 12k new sorry troll:COOL:

How much is it going to cost you to maintain, it rides like a rock and the engine is powerful as long as it's running. You get what you pay for. I could run a 150 shot if power was all I am after but the car isn't lasting long now is it.

2QUICK
08-21-2004, 11:41 AM
:agree: What he said.

cliffbeat
08-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ponygt65
boss 302...I was always partial to the 429's

My three dream mustangs - 65 K GT Coupe (have it), '04 mach 1 (the wife has it), 1969 boss 429 (probably never, 2 out of 3 ain't bad). :D

One of the guys who owns national parts depot in Ocala florida has a '69 boss 429. One of my friends offered him like 80 grand for it and he turned it down. Crazy car though. Absolute mint condition.

2003 Red Mach1
08-22-2004, 05:07 AM
i bought my car used for $25,000 an 03 mach with 10k miles on it and i love it. for say $3,500 for a procharger and maybe another $800-1500 for internals and whatever you can run prob high 11's. And thats still cheaper than an 03 cobra for me. This car is the best value $ for $ ever. I wouldnt worry about whats coming out. Just take care of what u got and throw him/her a little mods and tlc once in a while and have fun with it. :CHEERS:

ponygt65
08-24-2004, 07:19 PM
A boss 429 can fetch $150K easily.

FlashRick
09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Well I put around 303 rwhp and 323 rwtq on the low end to the ground all motor in bad conditions. With a 75 Shot it would be close to 380 to the wheels and around 430 rwtq.. Total cost maybe 2500 added to 27 k, still under 30 grand and by my calculations more HP then all those cars. Just a my thoughts but I could be wrong.

Mach1 EH
09-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by lstpierr
I don't care if an UGLY OLD GOAT is faster, I still got a sweet lookin' Mach, at a fraction of the cost, not to mention, a collectable at that.

How many heads can a goat turn....:COOL:

They turn my head.
I turn my head as I hurl as to not get my shoes... :MADNOEL:

MachNAlien
09-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Maybe the Mach 1 isn't the fastest, but it's fast enough for me and is definitely the coolest (compared to the GTO, Vette, etc). Now if Pontiac styled the new GTO with some cues from 1967-1969, maybe they'd have something......

rusty409
09-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Car manufacturers are always going to improve their product. It's their job. You can't get hung up on what's coming, or you will never buy a car. Look at history.
Back in '92, I wanted to buy a car that would be a long term car to have. I was thinking in the range of 20-30 years. To help with my decision, I was looking back 20-30 years asking the question - what are the cars (in 1992) that were built in the late 60's/early 70's that are concidered collectable cars or cars that peope go "wow" when they see one, or say "I used to own one of them, sure wish I didn't sell it"? The cars that stuck out were Challengers, Cudas, Corvettes, Comaros, firebirds, and mustangs. In 1992, Corvettes were too expensive for me, Dodge and Plymouth made nothing, The comaro and firebird were over priced and slower than the mustang. My choice was a 1992 black mustang gt. It was the performance king at the time, excluging the corvette, but it came fairly close. It was well priced at $15,500 with a $1,500 rebate. Is it king now? No way. It has 225 horsepower, and by today's standards, has bad brakes, bad handling, a boring interior and no CD palyer (they were not available at the time). O.K., here it is 2004. My gt is now 12 years + old. It has 48k miles on it, no dents, on dings, no scratches. Guess what? It wins shows, and I get "wow" and "I used to own one of them, sure wish I didn't sell it". It turns out that I made a good decision. For some reason, they only made 22,000 gts in 1992 compared to almost 90,000 in 1989. In retrospect, I could have waited one more year, and bought a 1993 cobra. I didn't know, but I don't care. My 92 gt is awsome, and sits right next to my 2004 Mach 1 in my garage. My guess is that in 2116, the Mach 1 will get the same reaction.
If you want to stay on the edge of performance, you will go broke, and always be wondering what to buy. You made a great choice with the Mach 1. Keep it, enjoy it. It will always command respect. You will probably find that in the not too distant future, people will stop trying to run you, and just stare.

Mach1 EH
09-02-2004, 12:14 PM
VERY well put and :agree: