PDA

View Full Version : I need a quick Mach 1 favor in Phoenix!

drboyd
07-22-2004, 03:10 PM
OK, I've got a Mach in my favorite color lined up to purchase out of state, but here's the problem: I haven't tried the clutch on a 5 speed Mach 1 yet.

Seems like a dumb problem for sure, but here's the deal. I had clean-up surgery on both knees this last year. And I drove a Cobra over at Berge Ford, and there was no way I could handle pushing that clutch every day with the way my knee is.

And frankly, the Cobra kinda scared me about what the clutch might be like on the Mach. I've been looking for one on a local lot that I could sit in and push the clutch without bothering anyone, but there aren't any.

So, the favor I need is this: I need to sit in a Mach and push down on the clutch to see if I can do it with a weak knee. If you know where there's one on a lot (the 5 speed that Berge had is gone) or if you'd be willing to let me sit in your car, let me know.

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Don
602-703-4286 cell

rtking
07-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I hate to tell you this, but Mustang clutches aren't light. I had (past tense) an '03 Cobra and the clutch was pretty stiff (though not as stiff as my Mustang SVO.) After 2 hours of sitting in traffic, my left calf and knee were completely spent. (And there's nothing wrong with my knees!)

The Mach 1's clutch isn't much lighter IMHO. I decided to get a Mach 1 with the Auto instead. You might want to consider doing the same.

Bob

drboyd
07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Hmmm.

Well, I've had people tell me both ways now. I asked this question before at http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20420 and I got what I thought were conflicting answers at that time. I figure the only real way to make sure is to sit in one. Hence the request.

I really don't drive around town except on the freeway, for the most part.

:notsure:

But if someone had a DSG automatic, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

MattN03
07-22-2004, 08:01 PM
The stock clutch in a 03 Cobra is a good bit stiffer than a Mach 1 IMO. Also, the clutch in my Mach is stiffer than my 4 banger Ranger I drive daily. Not trying to scare you away from the 5 speed, but there are lighter clutches out there. I hope you can find one to sit in & try out! Best of luck :THUMBSUP:

REMEMBER: An auto Mach is better than no Mach at all!!! :cool:

drboyd
07-23-2004, 01:52 AM
He called me after seeing this post, met me, showed me his car (which is absolutely gorgeous!) and even let me drive it! Woo-hoo!

He is a gentleman and a scholar and a keen judge of fine automobiles!

(I called the seller and made the deal on mine as soon as I got home! 04 DSG 5sp IUG!! 800 miles!)

I am way, way psyched, and thanks again, Bob!! I owe you a big one!

Don

P.S. Obviously, the answer to the question is that my left knee will be fine with the clutch. It's not nearly as gnarly as the Cobra clutch.

Bobs Mach
07-23-2004, 02:26 AM
No problem at all Don. It was a pleasure meeting you and am glad you got your questions answered. The Mach sells itself and I think you made a good choice. You picked a nice color too :D