PDA

View Full Version : Camaro isn't half bad!!

The_Wretched
06-19-2004, 03:11 AM
For the first time ever I drove and floored a Camaro. It was a Lt-1 94 Camaro z28. Let me tell you... it pulled extremely hard. I can honestly say it will pull hard on my Mach.... and its 10 yrs. older. My friend Brian let me drive it. It has a magnaflow exhaust, intake and thats it. I drove it around with him for about 1 hour and completely destroyed every car that came up next to me!! I had no idea those cars pulled that much... in fact i beat a turbocharged g35!!!! twice first on a stop then on a roll... i dont think ill ever look at z28's in the same light again...great cars .

00GT
06-19-2004, 03:53 AM
the lt1 is like 270hp?....how does that beat the mach?

Rochard
06-19-2004, 03:59 AM
A friend of mine bought one last year. It was $24k, had no power locks, no power windows, and was a horrible ride. For $2k more I have my Mach, which is faster, and has power everything.

Not to mention the shaker scoop.....

Mach1Pony
06-19-2004, 04:05 AM
All American V/8's kick a$$ IMHO:D

:THUMBSUP:

MachImportKilla
06-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but, didnt someone else post a joke like this before?

The_Wretched
06-19-2004, 06:12 AM
he ran 13.5 on the 1/4 i dont know how much hp it brought but it can kick. magnaflow exhaust and k&n intake and ram air. i wouldnt post it if it was B.S. and besides truth to the matter is that his car is a 94... power everything by the way... and still rns smooth. and we all know GM motors outlast Ford way longer.

just paying respect. :??:

Redline
06-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Ya lt1s are pretty **** fast.

"the lt1 is like 270hp?....how does that beat the mach?"

Its 285 stock and it doesnt beat the mach.

"A friend of mine bought one last year. It was $24k, had no power locks, no power windows, and was a horrible ride. For $2k more I have my Mach, which is faster, and has power everything."

What year? My friend bought a fully loaded 00 SS with 25k for $20k. (Altough if he wasnt a ******* he coulda got it for 18k) The ride is sloppy, but the ls1 is a VERY powerful engine. I can take my buddies from a stop, but on the freeway i see tail lights. His interior is also has way more leather in it then my mach. The mach seems to have more plastic.

"All American V/8's kick a$$ IMHO"

Exactly, you guys need to understand we all have to unite against the ricers! Go america!

"and we all know GM motors outlast Ford way longer."

:SMASH:

PapaTango
06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
If the Camaro is such a freakin' great car how come GM ain't making any more? Does GM actually believe that the GTO is the answer to all of the Camaro (and Firebird) enthuisist's prayers? That's like Ford dropping the Mustang, replacing it with a redesigned Torino, and hoping we wouldn't notice.

steve1173
06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Rochard
A friend of mine bought one last year. It was $24k, had no power locks, no power windows, and was a horrible ride. For $2k more I have my Mach, which is faster, and has power everything.

Not to mention the shaker scoop.....

Had a 2001 Z-28. The only 2 things I liked better in it then my 04 Mach 1 was the 6 speed with factory hurst & for the power locks & window switches there was a light for night to find them.

Dawg
06-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by The_Wretched
and we all know GM motors outlast Ford way longer.

Hey nothing wrong with paying respect to the competition. Every American v8 has potential and some more than others (Mach 1 specifically).

As for Chevys outlasting Fords, I completely disagree!!! I had an 86 z28 (my first and only Chevy) that was a complete POS. It looked good and ran good for the first 50K miles, but after that it was a high maintenance rattle trap.

I traded it for a 93 LX 5.0 Hatchback. I drove that car for 10 years up to 160K miles, no and I mean no problems. I sold it to my brother when I bought the Mach in January. He's now modding the 5.0 and it still running strong!!!

IMHO, Chevy (and most GM products) adopted a throw away approach several years ago. Their cars / trucks are good for through the bumper to bumper warranty then its time for a new one.

Dodge is better than GM in some categories. I still have a 98 Durango and I love the truck, but I have to replace the rear end every year due to a bad design that wears out the pin bearings.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I had to speak up after reading that line.

jbrad88
06-19-2004, 01:22 PM
this gm vs ford vs dodge argument really cracks me up.

to say that any one manufacturer's engine's last longer than others is a little bit uninformed.

Ford has done well for decades with the windsor based engines. The 289/302 has proven to be a little more durable over the long haul than the 351, but it is no slouch either. The 300cid straight 6 ford built is one of the best truck engines ever made. They are 300k engines with normal maintenance. The old 2300cc 4cly was virtually indestructable (a pig unless turbo charged). The little 255cid v-8 in the early fox cars was a turd.

gm has had great success with the 350's & the old 283's.
Their 3800 v-6 has proven to be a real winner. But, they have had a lot of horrible engines too, such as the 305's and the later 454's, and don't forget the converted gas engines that gm made into diesels...

dodge has had some real winners as well. The old slant 6 (I think it was @ 200cubes) that you could get in the old valiant and many other models was a 300k engine easy. The 318's were so/so. the 360's are durable. The big blocks were pretty good, but even the mighty 426 hemi was so high strung it was not going to get you 150k of life if you used it...

Bottom line, if there has been one strength in the us automakers over the years it has been that for the most part everyone makes a good engine. There will always be bad ones in the line, but for the most part all the domestics can and do make solid engines.

DSGMach714
06-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by PapaTango
If the Camaro is such a freakin' great car how come GM ain't making any more? Does GM actually believe that the GTO is the answer to all of the Camaro (and Firebird) enthuisist's prayers? That's like Ford dropping the Mustang, replacing it with a redesigned Torino, and hoping we wouldn't notice.

The looks not the performance is why the Mustang bested the Camaro in sales. Fact is 75% of Mustang owners don't buy them for their power. Most of them are woman that purchase the V6 coupes or ragtops because they got decent performance and looks nice at a good value. Camaro LS1's are very fast indeed. Z28's smoke GT's and run with Machs..

00GT
06-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Dawg
Hey nothing wrong with paying respect to the competition. Every American v8 has potential and some more than others (Mach 1 specifically).

As for Chevys outlasting Fords, I completely disagree!!! I had an 86 z28 (my first and only Chevy) that was a complete POS. It looked good and ran good for the first 50K miles, but after that it was a high maintenance rattle trap.

I traded it for a 93 LX 5.0 Hatchback. I drove that car for 10 years up to 160K miles, no and I mean no problems. I sold it to my brother when I bought the Mach in January. He's now modding the 5.0 and it still running strong!!!

IMHO, Chevy (and most GM products) adopted a throw away approach several years ago. Their cars / trucks are good for through the bumper to bumper warranty then its time for a new one.

Dodge is better than GM in some categories. I still have a 98 Durango and I love the truck, but I have to replace the rear end every year due to a bad design that wears out the pin bearings.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I had to speak up after reading that line.

lol my 1st car was an 86 z28 also.....biggest pos ever!...traded it for an 87gt and never looked back

as for gm better than ford.....why have so many ls1's have problems passing oil by thr rings?.....strong engines yes...reliable doubt it!

RnJstel
06-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Really Camaro's and T/A's are friends now.

The Ford-G/M war is good honest rivalry between equals. Same design,same ideas although G/M is stuck somewhat in the stone age as far as new technology goes.

Win or Lose it is good to go up against any F body or Vette.

For me it is a vindictive thing against any rice be it imported or domestic. I find myself when passing any rice yelling some sort of derogitory word out.

I hope G/M brings them back soon we need more.

PapaTango
06-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DSGMach714
The looks not the performance is why the Mustang bested the Camaro in sales. Fact is 75% of Mustang owners don't buy them for their power. Most of them are woman that purchase the V6 coupes or ragtops because they got decent performance and looks nice at a good value. Camaro LS1's are very fast indeed. Z28's smoke GT's and run with Machs..

If so, then GM has again missed the mark with the GTO's styling. While I agree that the look of a car is important to it's success, the new GTO's styling is destined to relegate the car's status to that of a quarter mile contender but a loser on the dealer's showroom floor....just like the Camaro.

Blue04
06-19-2004, 08:06 PM
The LS1 powered cars, and the Mach 1, are usually a drivers race. Although on the top end, the advantage goes to the LS1

Skoozo
06-19-2004, 09:54 PM
I seem to recall when the magazines used to do the SS vs. Cobra races, they both had the same HP, but the Camaro always had more torque.

Just read in Popular Hotrodding today that GM officially announced the Camaro will return for 2007. They have found a chassis, and it is likely that the GTO will also be on this chassis in the future.

The horsepower wars have returned!

Redline
06-19-2004, 10:25 PM
"as for gm better than ford.....why have so many ls1's have problems passing oil by thr rings?"

Ive been around a lot of guys who are ls1 gurus and ive never heard of that. Ls1s seem to be very reliable.

00GT
06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Redline
"as for gm better than ford.....why have so many ls1's have problems passing oil by thr rings?"

Ive been around a lot of guys who are ls1 gurus and ive never heard of that. Ls1s seem to be very reliable.

do a search on ls1.com "oil burning" "burning oil"

manoso84
06-20-2004, 02:11 AM
that has nothing to do with passing through rings. the pcv valve tends to suck up oil through the tube and into combustion.

DanK
06-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by manoso84
that has nothing to do with passing through rings. the pcv valve tends to suck up oil through the tube and into combustion. While that CAN happen with excessive vacuum (i.e. Total Seal rings and others like it) gapped rings can let oil through the "gap" or even past scars on the cylinder wall which would cause oil burning. This is common engine building/diagnosis problems knowledge. :THUMBSUP:

Billybong
06-20-2004, 03:10 AM
On the LT1 motor, when the water pump weaps it shorts out the opti-spark distribution which is mounted right below it and costs a sheet load to repair. A friend of mine has '94 Z28 Auto and it ain't all that. :p

atmachspeed
06-21-2004, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Skoozo
I seem to recall when the magazines used to do the SS vs. Cobra races, they both had the same HP, but the Camaro always had more torque.

Just read in Popular Hotrodding today that GM officially announced the Camaro will return for 2007. They have found a chassis, and it is likely that the GTO will also be on this chassis in the future.

The horsepower wars have returned!
That's funny, I just read in Hemmings Muscle Machines that the Camaro/Firebird name will never be re-used due to an agreement GM made with the Canada manufacturing plant where the last generation cars were made. Maybe the GM ponies will return, but not as Camaros or Firebirds.

rudejohn
06-21-2004, 03:28 PM
The_Wretched has an Iroq-Z and it's the baddest car EVER. He waxes it, so the police can't even pick it up on their radar. If he gets pulled over, he just tells the cop to suck it, because The_Wretched was doing him a favor by even pulling over.

RJ

DanK
06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rudejohn
The_Wretched has an Iroq-Z and it's the baddest car EVER. He waxes it, so the police can't even pick it up on their radar. If he gets pulled over, he just tells the cop to suck it, because The_Wretched was doing him a favor by even pulling over.

RJ

LMAO!:LAUGH: That was a good thread.

Tomcat427
06-21-2004, 05:27 PM
I had a dream last night that I traded the Mach 1 in on a new GTO:o I stopped by a dealer a few weeks ago and actually liked them. I did drive a Grand Prix for 3 years so it felt comfortable to me.

The wife said to go back to sleep, I was having a nightmare:SMASH:

The_Wretched
06-21-2004, 05:52 PM
funny guy rude john... :mad:

rudejohn
06-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by The_Wretched
funny guy rude john... :mad:

:THUMBSUP:

Hawkgfr
06-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by RnJstel
Really Camaro's and T/A's are friends now.

The Ford-G/M war is good honest rivalry between equals. Same design,same ideas although G/M is stuck somewhat in the stone age as far as new technology goes.

Win or Lose it is good to go up against any F body or Vette.

For me it is a vindictive thing against any rice be it imported or domestic. I find myself when passing any rice yelling some sort of derogitory word out.

I hope G/M brings them back soon we need more.

I don't follow the techno comment......The Ls1 is NEWER than the mod motor.......Just because it's a pushrod doesn't mean it isn't technologocally advanced. My 01 TA was more advanced in some other ways than my 04 Mach as well.....HVC controls....lights in power knobs...daytime runners....real gages etc.....In fact my Mach doesn't have much that my 96 GT didn't have.....that is except power. :) The Mach is a lot of things but advanced it ain't.

The only reason the fbod isn't around is it didn't have a trunk and they didn't sell well in the main market which is the economy/six banger/cute car customers as someone else has said.

hawk
06-22-2004, 01:53 AM
If they do, I hope they use this kid's design (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0309phr_5camaro/) - bada** looking car . I hate the look of the new GTO.