PDA

View Full Version : first mods?

79fairmont
06-17-2004, 12:32 AM
what should be my first mods??
im only 18 and have a limited budget due to the car payment.. but wanna do a couple things

codymach
06-17-2004, 12:57 AM
I would wait to do any mods....you may void your warranty and at 18 keeping the warranty may be financially important. A KN filter should not void a warranty and does help some. A shifter may not void the warranty either (please check) the shifter makes a big difference. Good luck...

tach9
06-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by 79fairmont
im only 18 and have a limited budget due to the car payment.. but wanna do a couple things

For the first mods..I like telling folks to go to a High Performance Driving School...SCCA Track Sponsord School etc...best mod you can do is educate the driver IMHO....:ANGEL:

2k4mach
06-17-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by tach9
For the first mods..I like telling folks to go to a High Performance Driving School...SCCA Track Sponsord School etc...best mod you can do is educate the driver IMHO....:ANGEL:
I gotta agree with you.
Back in the day when i was 16 wanting to mod my 93 gt my pops wouldnt let me until i went to a driving school. ended up going to the bob bondurant school in az and i learned so much but at the same time i had so much fun.:THUMBSUP:

SSmith440
06-17-2004, 02:04 AM
18 y/o and you have a Mach1! wow if I was only as fortunate at that age. Your choice entirely but me, I would do the window tint first. Tinting the windows is reasonably inexpensive. Mine cost $212.00 for the side,quarter and back glass. But for real low buck stick with the air filter mods for now. Tell us more about ur Mach1...color,options ect. Thanks Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com

Redline
06-17-2004, 02:52 AM
I decided to go with a slp catted x pipe and im very happy. Itll cost you a pretty good amount of money but its worth it.

Jrsyboy
06-17-2004, 06:03 AM
Living in Florida, tint was definitely my first. Then I would go with airflow coming in or air going out. Intake or exhaust. :CHEERS:

Brain
06-17-2004, 08:36 PM

What is your goal?

- A cat back will make it sound nicer.

- Gears are the best performance bang for the buck.
- If you plan on any drag racing, you are best to save for tires, set of rims and building your rear.

I have run low 12's with tires, gears, exhaust and paper airfilter.

What are you looking for?

RnJstel
06-17-2004, 09:12 PM
SLP Loudmouth.

the exhaust sound matches the car

Bullitt&Mach
06-17-2004, 09:31 PM
What are the best gears?

RotaryMagic
06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
4.30s are the ticket right now as we don't make power as high as 99/01 cobras.

RotaryMagic
06-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Brain, what are ALL your mods?

79fairmont
06-18-2004, 12:34 AM
hey guys sorry for the material i missed!!
i have a 04 COMP. orange mach.
tinted windows from the factory
IUP
and thats it so far...
im looking for a BADASS street car. i dont drive it everyday but when i go out i want ppl to fear me!!!
thanks for all the suggestions...
does that help narrow it down ??

RotaryMagic
06-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, here you go for starters.
rearend and axles, drag wheels with et streets and front runners, built 5.3L bigbore stroker motor with oliver billet rods and CHP pistons(9:1), T88 thumper from turbonetics, 10 gallon fuel cell with twin 255lph pumps, get the injectors and fuel rails+lines upgraded, you need a sheetmetal intake, water to air intercooler, full front and rear suspension, get an automatic too with a trans brake.

79fairmont
06-18-2004, 12:44 AM
oh i c.....:??:

79fairmont
06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
oh god... thats a what... 8 second car??
and hmmmmmm
30 000 dollars!!!
im on a limited budget man... im only 18 and have car payments!!
but thanks ill keep all that in mind :worship:

RotaryMagic
06-18-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm 18 too... haha... I've got the rearend components, LCA's and gears in the garage. Waiting on a twEECer, drag wheels+tires, and probably a nitrous kit haha. Actually closer to 35 or 40large. hahaha.

loathe
06-18-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by RotaryMagic
I'm 18 too... haha... I've got the rearend components, LCA's and gears in the garage. Waiting on a twEECer, drag wheels+tires, and probably a nitrous kit haha. Actually closer to 35 or 40large. hahaha. don't blow ur motor w/ the nos;)

Medium Cool
06-18-2004, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by codymach
[B]I would wait to do any mods....you may void your warranty and at 18 keeping the warranty may be financially important.

Ditto.

GhatyaMACH1
06-18-2004, 12:40 PM
I'd go with a shifter first, exhuast and intake second.

2MACH_IT
06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Get a set of Bilsteins, Sachs, or Tokico Illuminas to replace the stock black label Tokico's. Those will run you about $400 US if you shop around. Pick out some lowering springs and caster camber plates. Those will run you about $300-400 together. Just changing those things for under $1,000 will let you be able to turn corners a heck of a lot better. Plus if you have the right tools you can install them yourself over the weekend. You can turn around and sell the stock springs and shocks/struts as well to get some of your money back (yay for Ebay!).

If you don't have all the right tools add $20-30 to the budget for the beer and pizza to get someone over to help that does have all the right tools. ;)

OrangeCrush
06-18-2004, 07:54 PM
79fairmont,

we need more details, like how much do you have to spend, is it 1000 total, or 100 bucks a week, do you care about the warranty, do you have another car, when you say you want people to fear you do you mean you want to look fast or be fast?

your question is to open, without more data all I can do is tell you what I did:

1. K&N Drop in filter, good for about .1-.2 tenths.

2. Drag Radials, I like the BFG if you dont drive alot, if you put alot of miles on your car go with the Nitto's.

3. NX Kit Jetted at 125 hp, I would recommend you have shop install it, and a few saftey devices.

As you can see my list is short, but I promise my car is feared, the SVT Club here knows it, the West Tenn. F-Body Club here knows it, and if you go out to the street races here in Memphis just ask about the Orange Mach and most everyone will tell you that you better be fast or you have no chance.

So like I said give us more data and I would love to try to help you out.

RNstanger
06-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I'll vote for exhaust (cat-back)

Red03Shaker
06-18-2004, 09:40 PM

im looking for a BADASS street car. i dont drive it everyday but when i go out i want ppl to fear me!!!

a lot of people underestimate the mach, especially f-body guys, they think its jus a dressed up GT. i dont know why but people fear camaros and firebirds a lot in my town, my bros SS is one of them. for example some dood was scared to race him, but when i got my car he was all up for it. so whatever, jus learn to drive and people will say "there goes that mach, those r as fast as SS's" haha **** im bored

79fairmont
06-19-2004, 12:21 PM
i do have another car yes.. i would like to spend about 100- 300 a week... im looking for something that is FAST, looking fast doesnt do anygood... my daily driver is a 79 fairmont and it has a pretty beefed up motor.. if the mach can stand up with it it will look dumb.. AND I WONT HAVE THAT!!!
ppl already fear my fairmont and i have only had it out for about a month now. i want the mach to be the same..
prices with the mods you guys suggest would be very helpfull!!
thanks a lot guys. :worship: :worship: :worship:

OrangeCrush
06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
1. K&N - 50.00
2. tires - 250-350
3. N2O - 1000-2000 depending on what saftey devises you add and how much the shop charges for labor.

so for under 2500.00 for all.

If I were you I would get the filter and the tires and then start saving cash, then put some thought into the power adder question they are nice but Ford hates all of them.:D