PDA

View Full Version : If u could afford it would u buy the cobra &not the mach

muddman
06-12-2004, 02:48 PM
On my other post what do u have for a job i figure a few of u make the bucks so y not a cobra.

Yellowshaker
06-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I have an appointment in a few hours to check out an 04 cobra. Might be trading the Mach. This is not an easy decision.:(

dcpatters
06-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Both are great cars, but I appreciate power. For that reason, I would buy the Cobra. Additionally, horsepower mods for the Cobra yield better results than the Mach 1.

32V, 4 cam, V8 + eaton supercharger = :gears:

On the otherhand, there are blower kits for the Mach 1 as well.

Mach 1 & M3
06-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Here you go guys. How 'bout 866 rwhp for 42k?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2481734292&rd=1

Mach 1 & M3
06-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I could have easily purchased a Cobra, but after driving one I really was very unimpresed with the clutch and transmission feel. Also, the Cobra felt extremely heavy. After driving the Mach it was clear to me which car I liked better.

Ralph Greene
06-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by muddman
On my other post what do u have for a job i figure a few of u make the bucks so y not a cobra.

Because many of us have had hi HP almost race cars before, and just like the Mach better than a Cobra. The Mach has plenty of power for our use. When you have already had 500-600 RWHP cars before, for street use, even the Cobra is no big deal...power wise to me. It's not about money.

I really like the fact the Mach is a simple car, with a good engine. It is what it is.

Torched
06-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Hell yeah I would have bought the Cobra!!! At the time though, they were not dealing on them and the prices were much higher then they are now. :!!:

Oh well, live and learn.

02transam
06-12-2004, 03:53 PM
and then get luvs

LS1 Eater
06-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I would like to have one but, I love having my mach simple because most ppl that I know think that its just a souped up GT or something. They don't know how fast it really is so its always like we are a underdog, until its done to race and they lose! :gears: Throw a supercharger/turbo on mach, and it owuld probably spank a cobra :THUMBSUP:

Tomcat427
06-12-2004, 05:48 PM
I prefered the Mach 1 over the Cobra (Still Do).

A few reasons are:

1. Shaker
2. Gauges
3. Seats (looks and comfort)
4. Solid axle (even though I love driving through the twisties)
5. Don't like the sound a supercharger makes.
6. Overall costs, I knew I could make the Mach 1 as fast as a stock Cobra for less money. As mentioned before, they were not dealing on the Mach 1's or Cobra's when I purchased mine. I believe the price differance is still about the same since they are making deals on both cars.
6. The cost of insurance.
7. I just prefer the overall look and feel of the Mach 1 over the Cobra.

I was really close to buying a Cobra. I was getting very tired of the wait on the Mach 1 and was just waiting on a Sonic Blue Cobra to show up. A dealer called me before they even got it off of the truck. He had it taken off of the truck and parked outside his office and then he kept the keys until I got there. I had a price I was willing to pay for the Cobra and we were off by $750. He wouldn't budge and neither would I. He sold the car to another person the next day for $1500 more than I was willing to pay. I think deep down I knew I would be happier with the Mach 1. Funny how things end up.

:CHEERS:

mommyw/mach
06-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I can afford the cobra...I like the Mach better.

medicmatt
06-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Here is my list of reasons:
1) Price
2) There are at lest 10 to 20 Cobra's and 100 GT's and coups around town. 4 to 5 Mach's including mine, that call Contra Costa home.
3) Production has stopped on the Mach 1. You will continue to see more and more Cobra's on the road. The limited edition Mach 1 is just that, limited.
4) The car just looks mean, angry, and ready to run. Not to say the others don't. I just think the Mach 1 had a little extra and looked to good to pass up.
5) The car is fast. A few mods and your in the same league with some of the fastest cars on the road.
6) I wanted one more then a Cobra.

fiveliter
06-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I went to Ford last October to buy a Cobra. Had no intentions on buying a Mach. I was very unimpressed with the Cobra. The Mach was just more fun to drive and cost $8K less. Looks much better too.

Vic229
06-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Could have got either one, went with the Mach because its a limited production run.

Paul Selby
06-12-2004, 08:51 PM
I looked at a nice silver Cobra, but I liked the look of the Mach much better. Did not care for the Cobra seats, could not get comfortable, Mach seats are much better IMHO.

Around here, Cobra's are stacking up on dealer lots. One dealer still has 4 2003 Cobra's along with the 04's they have.

Warp1
06-12-2004, 09:23 PM
I was dealing on an '03 Cobra before the Mach. The dealer would not come down to where I wanted to be on the price of the Cobra, so I kept looking, drove the Mach and bought it. Sweet car :THUMBSUP:

If the Mach had the power of the Cobra it would be no contest - Mach all the way. The power of that Cobra was so intoxicating though. Maybe some day I'll buy a next gen Cobra. I'll still hope I can keep the Mach though.

I have to say that the Mach is better than the Cobra in a few ways, in my opinion. So, a Mach1 owner I am. I just wish we could add horsepower as cheap as the Cobra guys.

00GT
06-12-2004, 09:32 PM
yes in a heart beat.....i shoulda got the snake:(

muddman
06-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I like your reply tomcat sums things up.When i bought our 2nd ride he wanted me to budge $6.00 doll i said no so he did almost no deal lol.

JusMachN
06-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Well, I could have had both and almost got talked into the Cobra but I went there for a Mach. The 9 months I was overseas for the War I kept seeing the Mach in magazines and I could not get enough. Talked with friends and we all said when we got back we would get one. I got home on a Friday by Monday morning I had my Mach. I have been home 6 months now and 9000 miles. Sure love my Mach.

Was looking at Verts the other day for the wife. They kept trying to get my to buy a used Cobra vert. Hmmmm I know how I drive the Mach, wonder how that Cobra was driven LOL.. Well anyway, I drove it. Got it on the freeway and stuff. Nice car, nice ride, watching the boost go up was kewl. I thought the clutch was heavy gheesh. Still rather buy the wife a GT vert than that used Cobra. New one maybe but I don't like the insurance for the Cobra vert but then agaiin, I don't like the GT vert insurance either. Much more than my Mach...

Cobra3958
06-13-2004, 01:53 AM
I sold my Mach a couple months ago. I miss the heck out of it, but I think I'm gonna get a Cobra. I've test driven a few of them and none had any of the drivability problems that some say they have had. It handles better and has 100 more hp. The only downside is slightly less mpg and a stiffer clutch, but hey, this is a muscle car not a honda accord. I also like the fact that they respond so well to mods. 500 hp is easily obtainable with only bolt ons. :D

Tomcat427
06-13-2004, 01:55 AM
I like your reply tomcat sums things up.When i bought our 2nd ride he wanted me to budge $6.00 doll i said no so he did almost no deal lol.

cono
06-13-2004, 02:31 AM
...like "Gone in 60 seconds" (the original 1974 version that is)!

:THUMBSUP: Rock on....

KIPLINGER
06-13-2004, 02:39 AM
I, too, had intentions of actually purchasing the Cobra. I didn't even know about the Mach 1 until I got to the dealership--they had 1 on the lot vs. >12 Cobras. I thought, "What's this bad lad?"

Really, what's $5,000 if you're already spending $30 g's? I don't think it's about the money at all.

1) Mach 1 is limited production.

2) Mach 1 is more aesthetically pleasing (EVERY PERSON I come across likes my Mach 1 over my buddy's Cobra--on looks alone.).

3) Mach 1 sounds WAY better--it doesn't sound like a Pontiac once you put on exhaust mods.

4) Mach 1 chairs are the MOST comfortable ever offered in a Mustang--Cobra chairs are HIDEOUSLY uncomfortable.

5) Mach 1 gearbox is wide-open and smooth--Cobra gearbox is narrow and notchy, and TOO FAR forward.

6) SVT Mystique???--Hell, they don't even give the Cobra subframe connectors, unlike the Mach 1...SAG you later, Cobra!

grimreefer
06-13-2004, 03:05 AM
The wife and I were really planning on waiting for the '05 but the Mach had everything we were looking for in a Mustang and more. Besides... it's a Mach1! I NEVER thought I'd see that name reborn. As for the Cobra... we seriously considered getting one in '03, but (aside from the raw power) neither of us could get very excited about it. When we decide to get our 3rd car (toy), it'll definitely be in the running. :CHEERS:

SVTSnake
06-13-2004, 09:38 AM
This is coming from someone who actually bought the Cobra 1st, no more got off the lot, came back and picked up the Mach instead! I have always been a Cobra supporter. I had a 95 and a 98. Was planning on buying the 03. Like others have said, they feel heavier, the clutch is blah, there is the possibility of higher maintainence costs, not to mention I would have strapped a ATI charger on there the 1st day I got. Also, the whine from the supercharger is annoying. Yeah, it sounds cool at first, but after awhile, it gets very annoying. There are pluses with buying the Cobra, but for me, the Mach had everything I wanted. Made the wife mad though as she wanted a convertable (the Cobra was a torch red convertable with chrome wheels).

Oh well, I am completely satisfied with the Mach!
:COOL:

'70 Vert
06-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by dcpatters

On the otherhand, there are blower kits for the Mach 1 as well.

Cobras come with forged bottom ends stock. You'd need to upgrade the cast Mach's lower end if you wanted it to last.

I like a N/A performance V8. I think that blowers appeal more to the younger ricer crowd. I drove an '03 Cobra. The power band just sucked. Unless you are willing to spin it up above 4500 rpm the thing felt like a dog. A Mach 1 with a good driver would spank it in stoplight to stoplight racing.
The interior of the Cobra didn't do anything for me, either.
No solid rear axle. No shaker. No Comfortweave seats.
For me, the choice was easy. I grew up with the original Machs in the 60's and 70's. I had to have one.

Indy Mach
06-13-2004, 12:31 PM
I liked the looks of the Cobra. However, there was to many issues a year ago with the car (Cobra). Between the stall, the rearend hop, and the ticking heads, that is what made my decision. It wasn't the price differance of the cars. I just decided that I would buy a Mach and spend the money differance on suspension/wheel&tire mods. There were to many people complaining on SVTPerformance.com about the cars quality issues. And because this car was going to be my daily driver, it had to be reliable. Having 100 more horsepower didn't figure into my buying decision.

codymach
06-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I had the Mach and a 2003 Cobra side by side on the lot in Overland Park, Kansas. The Cobra is top of the line ...no doubt about it. No offense to Cobra owners but there are and awful lot of them....I saw the Mach and with the history of the Mach 1, shaker hood, stripes, engine, etc it was an easy choice I went with the Mach.

dcpatters
06-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by '70 Vert
Cobras come with forged bottom ends stock. You'd need to upgrade the cast Mach's lower end if you wanted it to last.

I like a N/A performance V8. I think that blowers appeal more to the younger ricer crowd. I drove an '03 Cobra. The power band just sucked. Unless you are willing to spin it up above 4500 rpm the thing felt like a dog. A Mach 1 with a good driver would spank it in stoplight to stoplight racing.
The interior of the Cobra didn't do anything for me, either.
No solid rear axle. No shaker. No Comfortweave seats.
For me, the choice was easy. I grew up with the original Machs in the 60's and 70's. I had to have one.

The Mach1, 5spd, has a forged crank as well, cast for the auto. Albeit, the Mach1 does have a higher compression ratio so the setup would need close tuning. Not too sure about pistions, etc. I believe the Cobra motor overall is beefier.

'70 Vert
06-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by dcpatters
The Mach1, 5spd, has a forged crank as well, cast for the auto. Albeit, the Mach1 does have a higher compression ratio so the setup would need close tuning. Not too sure about pistions, etc. I believe the Cobra motor overall is beefier.

Blown Cobra engines are WAY beefier.
5 speed Mach's have a really nice steel crank, but weak cast pistons and crappy powdered metal rods.
Late model Cobras have cast iron blocks along with forged rods, cranks and pistons.

TheWaterSkier
06-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok, here goes...

After a long period with a Firebird (94 formula), it had a fire (animal built nest in engine compartment) and GM has nothing left to offer, so...

I went to the Ford dealer to buy a Cobra knowing it was the top dog there, didn't know the Mach existed. After a test drive, I was underwhelmed by the Cobra in every department except overall power. I told the salesman I didn't like the idea of a blower (for long term reliability) and that the IRS was not planted very well from a dig (he races his own '03 Cobra). He suggested I drive the Mach 1 to which I replied; "Ford is making the Mach 1 again?"

I drove it and that was that. Yes, the Cobra wins the 1/4 mile battle, but on the street, I think the Mach rules from stop light to stop light.

These are my main points for the Mach over the Cobra:

1) Limited production, you won't see yourself coming every 5th car.
2) Solid rear, this thing gets out of the hole like not much else!
3) Limited production, higher trade value later.
4) That shaker is just too cool!

I could have had either, I respect both, I chose the Mach 1.

SHAKEN
06-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
Because many of us have had hi HP almost race cars before, and just like the Mach better than a Cobra. The Mach has plenty of power for our use. When you have already had 500-600 RWHP cars before, for street use, even the Cobra is no big deal...power wise to me. It's not about money.

I really like the fact the Mach is a simple car, with a good engine. It is what it is.

Yeah what he said :THUMBSUP:

Mach 1 Boy
06-15-2004, 09:28 PM
I would choose the Cobra in a minute, and here's why (of course, I AM a little biased!):

1) Mach's and Cobra's BOTH have limited production, so that's a wash.

2) The last Cobra rolled off the assembly line beginning of May, so they were done being assembled before the Mach's finished production.

3) IRS

4) 6-speed

5) Supercharger

6) Looks (Sorry, but after adding the tint and Cobra emblems, plus exhaust, my Cobra looks WAY meaner and better then the Mach (IMO).

7) More options

8) Better resale (Most likely)

I could go on, and for the most part, you guys will disagree, but to each his own. I chose the Cobra and I would not go back to a Mach. But that's just me!

:CHEERS:

Sam04
06-16-2004, 02:18 AM
I can afford a Cobra, but opted for the Mach 1 because of the retro theme, functional shaker, and solid rear axle.:CHEERS:

BSS
06-16-2004, 05:41 AM
I have to agree with some of the other guys about the limited production. There were only around 13500 2003 Cobras made and from what I hear there were quite a few less 2004s made. I'm not exactly sure what the Mach 1 production numbers are, but I think the limited production reason is sorta useless in this discussion. There are fewer Machs, but it's not like there were 4000 Machs made and 44000 Cobras produced.

Someone also mentioned that the power in a Cobra didn't come on untill around 4000 RPMs. I think you have the Cobra confusued with some import turbo 4cyl. The Cobras supercharger is designed to produce power in the low RPM ranges. And it does!

I don't own either one, but I looking at buying one of the two. And right now I'm leaning toward the Cobra.

boney
06-16-2004, 07:48 AM
I could have bought either one..............I like the Mach better then........I like it better now..............:) ...........If I had wanted a cobra I would have had one before..............

dave

jbrad88
06-16-2004, 08:02 AM
I did not go with the Cobra for a few reasons. First I have had a blower car...Nothing new there. Secondly, I really did not want the IRS on the car. Third, I grew up in my best friends 1969 Mach and now I had a chance to have a new one from day one and maybe in 20 years or so I will still have it in as good a shape as it is now. I took the chance to have a piece of history now...

I have no regrets...After going on a 1200 mile round trip to the mid american meet in Tulsa, I have to say I am even more impressed with the car. Comfortable, fast, and even fuel efficient...I doubt the cobra would get the mileage I got on my trip. Besides on the entire trip both ways I only saw 1 other Mach on the road...I saw dozens of v-6's , gt's, and quite a few Cobra's...

I love this car...

VenoM
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
the limited production and the shaker makes me lean towards the mach

after riding with chaucer before and after his mbc failed, that was sweet ride

MAC[H]Z
06-16-2004, 09:51 AM
When I started looking I was set on buying a 04 cobra, I even test drove a couple and got the numbers squared away. But on a trip to one of the dealers to sign on a cobra they were unloading a orange mach off the truck and my wife spotted it. She loved it and wanted me to take a look at it, so we walked over and checked it out. I loved the look of the mach way better than the cobra inside and out so I talked to the dealer and let him know that I wanted to drive the mach. After a test drive in a black mach they had on the lot we went in to work some numbers and the mach was $7000 less than the cobra so between that and the look of the car I didn't think the corba motor was $7000 better.

The cobra has a awesome motor with a ton of power but if you line up the mach next to the cobra even non mustang people will usually like the look of the mach way better.

Mach 1 Boy
06-16-2004, 03:03 PM
I still see less Cobra's then Mach 1's, that is for sure.

Hey, but to each his own, ya know? I think we can all agree (Cobra and Mach 1 owners) that we have the best Mustangs on the road right now. And that is nothing to frown about! :CHEERS:

I loved my Mach 1 and now I love my Cobra. If I had the money, I'd have BOTH in my garage! :THUMBSUP:

Now let's get out there and burn some EVO's, STi's and GTO's! :COOL:

TheWaterSkier
06-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Maybe I just don't have the numbers I need.

I think the Mach 1 was produced this year and last year. Roughly 9500 in 2003 and 7500 in 2004, total= 17000 (approx).

Starting with 2004, how many Cobras and how many years back were they being made?

I see 4 to 6 Cobras every day here in the Palm Beaches area and maybe 1 other Mach 1 every 10 days or so (usually the same two)....

muddman
06-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I agree with mach boy it's nice to own at least 1 of them even be nicer to own both:gears: :gears: :idea:

Mach 1 Boy
06-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by TheWaterSkier
Maybe I just don't have the numbers I need.

I think the Mach 1 was produced this year and last year. Roughly 9500 in 2003 and 7500 in 2004, total= 17000 (approx).

Starting with 2004, how many Cobras and how many years back were they being made?

I see 4 to 6 Cobras every day here in the Palm Beaches area and maybe 1 other Mach 1 every 10 days or so (usually the same two)....

You'll see alot more 95 - 98 Cobra's on the road, but the rare ones are 99, 01 and 03-04. Anything with the SN-99 style is pretty rare. I think they made a total of 8000 Cobra coupes for 03 and like 5000 convertibles. I have no clue how many 04 Cobra's were built.

Tanklawyer
06-17-2004, 01:54 AM
I've told the story here before, but you '04 guys might not know it. My dealership was nice enough to let me order both a 2003 Mach 1 and a 2003 Cobra, and then let me choose when I saw the cars. They arrived at the dealership on the same day, and up to the moment I saw the Mach 1 (after having driven the Cobra, by the way), the decision was clear. The Mach 1 all the way. Why? Very simple: (i) clutch and transmission on the Cobra were very heavy and not at all what I expect from a sports car; (ii) shaker; (iii) Mach 1's more outrageous muscle car looks; (iv) shaker. Oh, and did I mention the shaker?

The Cobra sure was pretty, though. It was sold by the end of the day by the next guy on the list.

Sam04
06-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I faced the same decision you did...Torch Red Mach 1 or White Cobra. I made the same choice too...:CHEERS:

lstpierr
06-18-2004, 10:30 AM
When I was looking, there were no Cobras on the lot in my local area, and there was only 1 5 speed Mach1 (was a DSG too), which I test drove, and is what sold me on the Mach1. However, to convince my wife to get one (needed to present a business case :D ) it had to be an automatic, she won't drive a stick. I located one in Miami, (I live in Beantown). Anyway, I convinced her, and we flew down, and drove it home, it was awesome!

So I never really gave the Cobra's a second look. But I'm glad I didn't, because there is one in my neighborhood, a silver one, and also someone just got a purple one at work. They don't even come close in appearance to the Mach1. Also, the Mach1 is a limited run, I keep me Mach1 and be happy!:COOL:

Sam04
06-19-2004, 11:50 AM
For me, my wife's refusal to drive a stick would just be one more reason to get it with a 5-speed. It doesn't matter anyway though, because my wife will never drive the Mach 1. I have a supercharged GT that has more power and I let her drive that instead...:CHEERS:

CMcCarthy
06-20-2004, 07:04 PM
If I had it to do over, I'd have bought a Cobra. Live and learn, right?