PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of the benefit of Mobil 1

40mach1
04-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Can someone please provide evidence and the real benefit of this full synthetic oil because every mechanic in California and dealer Ive spoken to say to stick with the ford partial synthetic!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Turkish
04-07-2004, 06:28 PM
The real benefit of synthetic is its ability to accomodate a wide viscosity spread within a single oil. European manufacturers, such as Mercedes and BMW, used to recommend 30-weight oils during the winter or for climates that didn't exceed 50 F, and 40-weight and 50-weight oils for summer use or for climates consistently over 50 F. Synthetic oils are available in 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50, etc., and can be used year 'round within European manufacturer's guidelines (which they now recommend instead of mulitple grades for multiple climates and operating conditions).

U.S. manufacturers used to recommend the same oil usage as their European counterparts, but have become obsessed with meeting CAFE numbers, hence the abundance of 20-weight and 30-weight oils.

It really doesn't matter whether you use a synthetic or a so-called conventional oil, just make sure it's API SL-rated and change it hot and often. Your car should last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

00GT
04-07-2004, 06:45 PM
the germans put mobil 1 in the 120k beast 911!!!...if its good for the germans its good for me!

Turkish
04-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 00GT
the germans put mobil 1 in the 120k beast 911!!!...if its good for the germans its good for me!
Did you bother to read what grade and why?

Martin99ACR
04-07-2004, 07:45 PM
What I want to know are the benifits from putting Royal Purple in your car v.s. the standard full synthetic.

04BlackMach
04-07-2004, 07:51 PM
I would definitely go with full synthetic, but not until you have at least 3000 miles. You could possibly pick up 1 or 2 extra ponies. :D

00GT
04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Turkish
Did you bother to read what grade and why?

there was oil threads over at stangnet.com showing oil tests....amsoil does a different test than the standard one i know that i use to use amsoil and made the switch.....also read that royal purple was crap...mobil 1 full sythetic scored the highest

there was also oil filter tests...the fram filters are crap they found particles in the oil pan

mobil 1 oil with motorcraft filter...i sometimes get the mobil 1 filter its more money but hey i love my stangs!

Turkish
04-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 00GT
there was oil threads over at stangnet.com showing oil tests....amsoil does a different test than the standard one i know that i use to use amsoil and made the switch.....also read that royal purple was crap...mobil 1 full sythetic scored the highest

there was also oil filter tests...the fram filters are crap they found particles in the oil pan

mobil 1 oil with motorcraft filter...i sometimes get the mobil 1 filter its more money but hey i love my stangs!
Amway/Amsoil's tests have been heavily biased from the get-go. They can hardly be considered credible, which is not to say that their product is bad, but their method of selling and advertising is dubious to say the least. As long as an API SL-rated oil is used and it's changed hot and often, brand and variety really makes no difference.