PDA

View Full Version : To undercoat or not to undercoat; that is the question.

StangRay
08-26-2002, 01:27 PM
I have started to ask around to see if I should undercoat my new Mach 1 when it arrives.

I used to be a mechanic many years ago and we used to undercoat new vehicles. Back then, (mid 70s to early 80s) we found that the cars rusted more where we had dilled holes for undercoating. Therefor I can tell you for a fact that I will not drill holes. However, we also found that the cars rusted a lot less where we had sprayed undercoating. Some rust could not be stopped, but we found that not undercoating was worse.

My neighbor works for a large auto paint company and he says that the new cars are dipped to prevent rusting and no further undercoating may be required. He gave a lengthy and scientific explaination that seemed to make sense. However, like some of you, I will be a little bit paranoid (and maybe anal at times) about my new ride. I plan to keep it for a long time and I do not want the road salts to eat it away.

My last Mach 1 (73) developed terminal cancer and I was lucky to find anyone willing to buy it afterwards. It was purchased with some rust on it, but the used car dealer had hidden the worst rust with paint and undercoating. If I had not wanted this car so bad back then, I would have run in the other direction because I knew it was going to be trouble. So, maybe now you can see my concern. I know the situation is different because my new ride will be new and I will baby it. But I still want to drive it in the winters. Enjoyment should not be limited to just the summer!

As for winter handling, I plan to buy a set of narrower chrome rims and will be putting on Bridgstone Blizzaks for tires. These tires stick like glue and should help me get through the winter without doing 360s down the road.

Any info on the undercoating issue would really be appreciated. As you may start to see, I am getting very excited about my new baby and will be asking many questions to "catch up" on the Mustang stuff.

Broon
08-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Not much of an answer but a comment. I too plan on driving my new toy in the Winter. We do get some snow in SE Michigan and was curious on what type of tire to use in the Nov-Mar timeframe. What is the average cost of a 'Blizzak'? In addition, I was think of getting a set of cheap rims for the winter tires, wrong approach?

StangRay
08-27-2002, 12:54 PM
Somebody pointed me to a web-based tire company that sells Blizzaks for our rides. They are listed under the 2003 Mustang GT, but the tire size is the same as our Mach 1 (245/45-17). The tires are $145 each. Not too bad for peace-of-mind. I know that narrower snow tires work better in snow, but I think I will change my mind on the narrower tire and stick with the same size as the summer tire. I will do this only because I know the Blizzaks perform in snow and I wish to retain the "look" of the car. Now I need to find some nice looking rims because I refuse to have steel with hub caps on a Mach. My car would hate me for it. And we don't want to have peed-off cars now do we!?

There are other snow tires that will perform better on wet and dry roads, but the Blizzaks can not be beat in snow. It is the snow that concerns me so I will stay with the Blizzaks. I have been using them for years. They are a bit squirmy on the dry pavement and they are only rated for up to 99 mph, so you will not be able to "horse" these tires.

The address for the tire company is: http://www.tirerack.com.
I have not used this company myself, so this is not a recommendation; only informational.

I have driven many Mustangs in the Northeast winters and it is the snow and slush that is going to bite you. However, If I were further south, I think I would look at one of the "performance" snows that would handle better on wet and dry roads. Tirerack has some good test results to help people decide what to buy.

As for the undercoating issue, I have had no responses and I am leaning toward the "better safe than sorry" approach. I am sure it cannot hurt if I do it correctly. I will continue to research this matter.

Have fun with the Mach in the winter!