PDA

View Full Version : MightyMach is home after 400 miles today!

MightyMach
12-02-2002, 08:11 PM
MightyMach is home! My wife and I got up at 4:30 am this morning, flew to Dallas, the salesman picked us up at the airport - and we were on the road in the Mach at 10:30 am. WHAT A CAR!!
Here are some personal random driving impressions after putting 398 miles on the car today. So far. :D

1. The steering is quick and firm, very minimal body roll.
2. At 2500 rpm in 2nd or 3rd, hit it hard - OMG!!
3. Quite a lot of road noise on rough pavement, like any small Ford car.
4. Silky smooth and very quiet at 100 mph on smooth pavement. Whoever balanced the wheels and tires on this car had their act completely together.
5. Extremely hard to not constantly roll the throttle on, just to hear the howl of the exhaust - awesome!!
6. Wife drove the cars 100 miles or so - wound her spring pretty tight too! ;)
7. The Torch Red Car I still have on order with no VIN or build date just gained a lot on the chance of us being a 2 Mach family - see item # 6. :THUMBSUP:
8. A range of 300 mile on the first tank of gas - at 21.4 mpg -included freeway travel, some stop and go thru town, a stop by Texas Motor Speedway for pics, and open road cruising anywhere from 55 mph to 80 mph, with a couple blasts up to 100 mph.

I'll post a few pics when I have time.

All you guys still waiting - HANG IN THERE - YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT!!

FlashBack
12-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Congrats!!!! I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of mine!! Looking forward to getting together with you and some other Texas owners sometime in the near future.

400 miles, that baby is just about ready for the Dyno!:D

Mustang Matt
12-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Do you guys think there's anything wrong with putting its first miles on by driving on a interstate. I too may have to drive my car 130 miles on open interstate.
I've heard you need to alternate speed/rpms.
sorry that this is off topic.

17368_Mach1
12-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Back in the original Mach 1 era, many of the "seasoned" mechanics used to tell us "take 'em out and run them for 100 miles or so, varying the speed up/down between 45-55, 55-65, etc. to seat the valves and rings, with a few 80-90 mph high-speed runs for 1/4 - 1/2 mile and then slowing down, etc. I guess they had their reasons but, it seemed to work. A few years ago I drove our local Police Chief to Pittsburg to pick up a new Crown Vic cruiser and he basically did the same thing saying " . . . stick with me hoss!" and took off like a banshee which was really a blast for me in my '96 Impala SS. We made one pit stop in ~325 miles to Harrisburg and south to York, PA. By the time we arrived at his station that 4.6L Crown Vic was runnin' like a scalded rabbit! Sounds like it would be a great "get-acquainted plan" for a new Mach 1 & his owner. If I thought 100 miles behind the wheel of a new Mach 1 would convince wife.com to get rid of her '96 Z-34, I'd do it in a heartbeat!! Two possible Mach 1's; What A Deal!!! Good Luck...

MightyMach
12-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by FlashBack
Congrats!!!! I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of mine!! Looking forward to getting together with you and some other Texas owners sometime in the near future.

400 miles, that baby is just about ready for the Dyno!:D

Thanks, Flashback - It is such a cool view looking out over that hood with the power bulge and shaker!!

There's already talk of a Mach 1 get together at next summers Yellow Rose Car Show in the DFW area.. soon as I locate the date I'll list it on the Upcoming Events list.

Unfortunately there isn't a dyno within 300 miles of me that I know of, so I'm relying on some of you city guys to post some good numbers!

02mach1
12-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Congrats! on your Mach1 have fun with it:CHEERS:

Mach1 w/Shaker
12-02-2002, 11:18 PM
MightyMach,

Glad you made it home safely and thanks for the update on the drive home, sounded like a road trip worth making. Yes we will have to try and have a Mach Rally at the Yellow Rose Classic in August. I will post it as soon as I have a definite date.

FlashBack
12-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MightyMach

Unfortunately there isn't a dyno within 300 miles of me that I know of, so I'm relying on some of you city guys to post some good numbers!

I was only half serious about the dyno, those numbers will get posted by someone soon enough.

The get together next summer sounds good! For now just sit back and enjoy the killer view out of that windshield!:THUMBSUP:

MightyMach
12-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Well, the trip home was great - but a strong norther blew in last night - we're now in the midst of a bad ice storm!! :mad: At least I got to bring my car home on a beautiful day yesterday. :LAUGH:

And it's in the garage all snug, dry, and warm - I've only checked on it last nite and this morning about, oh, 18 times! :D

Guys, I just read in my Mustang Times where the MCA is holding a National Show in Houston on May 22nd thru 25th, 2003 - so there we have another good excuse to get together!

Another observation about the Mach 1 - I've been having severe lower back problems for the past year, had 12 shots in my lower spine about 2 weeks ago - and the seats in the Mach are about as comfortable as anything I've sat in in a long, long, time. I was actually dreading the day after the drive home cause I knew how I'd feel - but I'm happy to report I'm doing great today - and I credit it to the Mach seats. My wife and I both felt fine when we got home last evening, not at all like we generally do after a 400 mile trip.

03elanor
12-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Did the Lumbar support adustmenst help with the Back? I too really like the seats over my Gt. Sounds like a nice trip you had. Just glad it is nice and warm in that garage of yours. Have blast with the Mach 1.:CHEERS:

MightyMach
12-03-2002, 04:40 PM
I never even adjusted the lumbar on either seat - they were set ideal as it was! Only thing I didn't like about em was they won't recline back very far - but I was too wired to nap anyways.

We now have about 4" of snow, on top of 1/2" of ice :!!: .

03elanor
12-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Better keep her in the garage;)