PDA

View Full Version : Scatter Brained

JCal
03-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Ive change my mind on what direction I want to take this car so many times that I've lost count!

Was going to leave it stock, that lasted a couple weeks. Wanted to make it as quick as I could in the 1/4 but it seemed like a drag oriented car gives up so many things like ride quality, handeling reliability etc.

Have a pretty much complete Vortech setup for it, all the hard to find parts too like coolant crossover, brand new bracket, 99 Cobra shortblock,and whatever.

I always loved the late 60s early 70s Trans Am cars (Challenger TA, AAR Cudas etc.) and was thinking of a sort of tribute, NA, suspension,brakes.

If I had more project cars but due to a bad situation (self induced) money became an issue and I ended up selling my 71 cutlass (that I took down to bare metal and completely restored myself) and a really solid 68 Camaro (hard to find in the NorthEast) that I had tucked away for times like now.

I'm glad I still have my Mach though! I just got to settle on a direction with it!

Anybody else have this problem? Jim

311-420
03-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Anybody else have this problem? Jim
All the time. Mine's been my DD for almost 8 years so I've kept it to bolt-ons only. But there have been many times where I've nearly supercharged it.

TKat13
03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
I had this same issue for years, it always came down to the fact the Mach was my daily driver so the mods had to be complete before the weekend was over. This forced me to constantly modify my plans. So, do the things that you can do over a weekend, have a final plan so you do not have to purchase parts twice. When you get to the big stuff then get a beater. Think of the mods today as supporting mods for your build tomorrow.

I think the best thing I ever did was buy a daily beater (88 Chevy 2500), My chevy was 1500.00, dropped another 500.00 to bring it up to road worthiness and my insurance on it is 25.00 per month. Funny enough, I get better fuel mileage out of it, when I first picked it up I achieved 18 on the highway, after I fixed vacuum leaks, new intake gaskets, tune, etc I was able to get 20. Funny how 88 fuel mileage was already where today's trucks claim to be achieving and making such a big deal out of it.

ASH302
03-01-2015, 10:11 PM
I had that problem with the mach,
debating on stuff for my T/A
I would just take your time and wait to see what direction really comes through, you may get a itch for something, but its not the real plan
if you already got the s/c just get that done, drive it, take track see what happens and go from there,

ASh

JCal
03-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I had this same issue for years, it always came down to the fact the Mach was my daily driver so the mods had to be complete before the weekend was over. This forced me to constantly modify my plans. So, do the things that you can do over a weekend, have a final plan so you do not have to purchase parts twice. When you get to the big stuff then get a beater. Think of the mods today as supporting mods for your build tomorrow.

I think the best thing I ever did was buy a daily beater (88 Chevy 2500), My chevy was 1500.00, dropped another 500.00 to bring it up to road worthiness and my insurance on it is 25.00 per month. Funny enough, I get better fuel mileage out of it, when I first picked it up I achieved 18 on the highway, after I fixed vacuum leaks, new intake gaskets, tune, etc I was able to get 20. Funny how 88 fuel mileage was already where today's trucks claim to be achieving and making such a big deal out of it.

Darrell, I've been lucky enough that I don't have to use the Mach as aDD. Actually it's basically off the road from November to March-ish. I live in the Boston area and the winter/road salt just tears cars up around here. I do have a 99 Ranger 4x4 that is my "winter beater" as we call em around here.
What's cool is that a rust free 88 Chevy pick up would be a pretty desirable vehicle here! Kinda of boarder line classic! I had to do a bunch of frame repair to my Ranger this past year. They're known for frame rot in this area any way.

There is something to be said about driving a beater though. Not worrying about where you park it or dings scratches, or whatever.

Usually the winter is the best time to wrench if you've got a garage (and heat). We got slammed and had over 5' in the past month though! Stupidly I didn't get it in the garage so it's buried now.

Guess I just wanted a direction to go with it, always changes though. Leaning towards keeping the exterior looking stock or pretty close. Want it to be unmistakingly a Mach 1. Boost it. Chassis suspension mods that are more fore cornering than straight line. Jim

JCal
03-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I had that problem with the mach,
debating on stuff for my T/A
I would just take your time and wait to see what direction really comes through, you may get a itch for something, but its not the real plan
if you already got the s/c just get that done, drive it, take track see what happens and go from there,

ASh

ASH, Good advice, nothing worse thank buying parts that you,ll end up taking off and selling down the road.
Wanted to boost it for the longest time and pretty much have all the parts to do it. Was a little worried about the stock bottom end but I do have a 99 cobra short block that I wanted to forge at some point. Always liked your Mach. It was supercharged, right?if so were you on the stock bottom end?
I'd keep it low boost anyway on the factory short block. Jim