PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstering Seats(new design)

4valve 4tw?
09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
So of the 3 cars I'm considering, the Mach 1 has moved to the bottom of the list. Part of that is, and I know I'll be flamed for this, the interior. Ignoring the quality of the other pieces, the seats are just not my style. Comfort weave was made in the 60's, and should have stayed there:butt: Fortunately, every other person wants them, and they still seem to be in high demand. It would appear that very low mileage sets(<20k miles) go for around $1000, $1200 to the right person.

This leaves me with the ability to change the entire seat set up, hopefully, at very minimal cost. I've always been a fan of the 03/04 Cobra seats, specifically the anniversary ones, and if I got a Mach it would only be black, with red stripes added immediately. Thus I came up with the idea of getting custom charcoal leather but with red suede insert seats made up. I swung by the closest shop to me today and he gave me a very rough estimate of $2000 to have the old seat covers removed, new covers made, and installed. However, I'd probably come out better selling the entire Mach seats as a set, and buying stained/dirty 03/04 cobra seats, so all he had to do was design the skins and install them.

Low and behold though, TMI now sells just what I was envisioning. However, to go that route, I'd need to buy any give mustang seat frames, TMI's custom Cobra seat foam, and their vinyl/suede skins. That comes out to ~$1000, plus paying to have the skins installed. That also is only vinyl, as you cant get leather with non-factory color suede for some reason.

I only started seriously researching it today, but have any of you had seats(presumably in other mustangs) reupholstered in leather/suede and at what cost? Thanks in advance everyone.

ab_mach1
09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
The 03-04 Cobra seats seem like they would get dirty looking pretty quick with that suede-leather kinda material. Maybe the red suede material would hold up better.

4valve 4tw?
09-29-2014, 03:07 PM
The black suede shows which way it's brushed, but hides all dirt from what I've seen. The gray doesn't change colors when you brush it, but shows a little dirt. The parchment, forget about it, they all look bad unless they are constantly cleaned.

The red being a little lighter, I'm sure would need some attention every now and then. Hopefully not to bad. This is the TMI seat.
http://images.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/u/5/u55-v_9.jpg
Problem is, I can't find anyone that's bought them to see what they really look like.

ab_mach1
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
In the pic though, they look pretty good.

311-420
09-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Off topic- how long have you been "considering" a mustang now, OP? Pull the trigger already dude. :23:

Mach828
09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Off topic- how long have you been "considering" a mustang now, OP? Pull the trigger already dude. :23:

Since OP's join date...August 2011. :23:

Those are nice seats. Why not just pick up an anniversary terminator?

4valve 4tw?
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Wow, didn't even realize it's been that long lol. Guess I'm very much a long time lurker now.

I had my son in 2010. I had only my corvette at the time, but very shortely after that, I recieved my grandfather's Oldsmobile(alzheimers). So there was no rush to get a new car then. I didn't actually sell my vette till June 2012, and though I'd hoped for a newer car by summer 2013, my wife's car was on it's way out and the Olds was only 70xxx miles. Thus, she got a car instead. Then finances became tight, now there's a chance that big ugly "divorce" word is floating around... add to that that I'm a measure 3x cut once kinda guy and my car purchase has hit almost every speed bump possible short of me actually dying lol.

I want a simple car to get in and drive, no do-dads, and in the mid-teens $$$ wise. Something respectably fast stock, handles respectably, and has a decent aftermarket for improvements. I've narrowed it down to a Mach, 05/06 GTO, or 05/06 C55 AMG. A completely random list, I know. The back seats are in part what's pushing me away from a New Edge. My son will be 5 in Feb, and odds are I'll own my next car 5+ easy, so I need to be able to fit two adults and a 10yo without concern. I've been in my buddies 00 GT, and at 5'10" the backseat being cramped is putting it lightly, but SHOULD fit a pre-teen fine.

My real problem is those 3 cars are polar opposites in different catagories, so as I amass funds, I'm weighing just what aspects matter most to me. The anniversary Cobra's I do like, but mid-low mileage ones are still around $20+k from what I've seen, and I can only imagine what that iron block/supercharger hanging off the front end feels like plowing through the corners.

Mach828
09-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I am the opposite. I am more impulsive. I say I want something, then I make a purchase very shortly after.

I bet the Mach will be the most reliable and inexpensive to maintain over your other two options. If it was me, I'd look for a fairly low mileage 04 auto.

311-420
09-30-2014, 07:01 PM
My sister and I grew up riding in the back of our Mom's '87 GT. Really not a big deal.

sabenott
09-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Beware of the gto. Its a good car but gm had its problems including water making its way into the cabin. I was actually looking at one when I bought my mach. Interior is cheap except for the seats, they are nice. Traction sucks. Dont get me wrong I am a gm guy before I bought the mach but I had enough of gm issues and decided to go ford. So far best choice of vehicle change I have made.

TKat13
09-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Wow, didn't even realize it's been that long lol. Guess I'm very much a long time lurker now.

You've been here so long I just assumed you picked a Mach up. You seem to know quite a bit about them so you may has well enjoy one from the driver's seat. :orange:

4valve 4tw?
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
I bet the Mach will be the most reliable and inexpensive to maintain over your other two options. If it was me, I'd look for a fairly low mileage 04 auto.
I'd agree, the only issue that seems to come up with the Mach is the lame tr-3650. The GTO has some suspension issues but other then that is problem free, and surprisingly enough, the C55 is supposedly rock solid other then some radio issues(this was back before they loaded AMG's with everything, there's nothing complex about that model). Manual only for me. Settled on a good deal auto with my vette, and always regretted it. The C55 is paddle shift auto only, and I've only recently given it a pass because it's so unique. V8, rwd, sedan that weighs less then 3550lbs. GTO and Mach would have to be manual.

My sister and I grew up riding in the back of our Mom's '87 GT. Really not a big deal.
Yeah it's not a huge concern, but it has crossed my mind. No reason a 10yo shouldn't fit comfortably.

Beware of the gto. Its a good car but gm had its problems including water making its way into the cabin. I was actually looking at one when I bought my mach. Interior is cheap except for the seats, they are nice. Traction sucks. Dont get me wrong I am a gm guy before I bought the mach but I had enough of gm issues and decided to go ford. So far best choice of vehicle change I have made.
I'd have to ask if you think the GTO interior is cheap, how would you describe the Mustang's? Recycled paper? The Blaupunkt radio, panel gaps, leather, color matched everything... There is literally no comparison.

They do have their issues though, mainly some suspension bits from how they shipped them over. The water pooling was an 04 issue only from what I understand. Other then that, it's hard to argue LS2/t56(except the extra 300lbs vs the Mach, 200 over the C55)

You've been here so long I just assumed you picked a Mach up. You seem to know quite a bit about them so you may has well enjoy one from the driver's seat. :orange:
I drove a Mach last year and it was very raw. I liked that, and the shaker obviously. At this point it's just a money issue. As soon as I've saved up I'll drive all 3 back to back to back and I'm sure I'll decide on the spot. Although I haven't even found a low mileage C55 near me to drive except one outrageously priced one. Only 1850 made I believe :mad:

ab_mach1
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
I thought the TR-3650 issues reduced by a ton when you got an aftermarket cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster and made sure you used the right fluid..?

sabenott
10-01-2014, 06:51 PM
By cheap imean they fall apart. The door panel inserts fall off and headliner falls down. A friend has an 05 that pools. The mustang door panels are covered plastic and not exposed plastic. Ive seen low low fbodys with cracked door panels thus gm quality. In all reality you need to drive them all and then decide. I was always against ford until I drove one. Yes the gto can be faster easier. For me its not all about how fast it is. I drove several with varing mileage and they all felt lose to me, when I hopped into the mach it was tight and crisp. I do like and haved owned german performance as well. You will never go real wrong with either of the choices.

iamkevin7
10-01-2014, 08:07 PM
I thought the TR-3650 issues reduced by a ton when you got an aftermarket cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster and made sure you used the right fluid..?

No problems with my 3650 but I don't expect it to be a Liberty either.

iamkevin7
10-01-2014, 08:10 PM
My friend had a GTO forget what year . It pooled water too,it was nice to drive but it seemed sterile and boring. Hard to describe but it was uninspiring even though it was fast it wasn't a muscle car like my dads 65 GTO I remember as a kid

shadowmaker
10-01-2014, 10:33 PM
The GTO is.....FUGLY. It looks like a grand am and a cavalier had an inbred kid. I know the LS motor and the 6 speed tranny is a great combo BUT it's ugly. If you want the LS/T56 combo, I would back up to a Firehawk or a SS z28.

The AMG are nice but I would think parts are expensive.

I have 2 teenagers both fit in the back. Probably not for a long trip but ok for short trips.

Thunderbolt
10-02-2014, 05:22 AM
The GTO is.....FUGLY.

Ding, ding, ding! I don't even understand how you can get past the exterior look of a GTO, much less comparing the interior. A Grand Am on steroids. I laugh every time I see one. Hell, their's a lot of cars today with more power than a Mach, but like I've heard people say, you can't outrun ugly.

Vndcatr
10-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Why not just buy some WHOOPED *** 03/04 cobra seats, buy the TMI seat skins in 10th anniv style and install them..

My good friend had bought some 10th anni seats but is about as anal as you but coming from a vette makes sense. He bought NEW skins from tmi and had them installed onto his seats. Well he gave me his old 10th anni skins and i bought some whooped parchment 03 seats and had them installed. And since he has a seat delete i got his BRAND NEW rear skins.. so now i have 10th anni seats for basically nothing. the fronts have some wear but doesnt bother me

Personally i think the 10th anni are the best 03/04 cobra style seat made, i like black on black but you cant beat the look of these.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/VNDCATR/IMG_1105_zps91692437.jpg

Jesse R
10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Plus one on ordering the TMI upholstery if you don't like the seats. If you have any mechanical skills you can do it yourself. All you need to buy is a pair of hog ring pliers and some hog rings. If you order new foam you wont have to worry about the leather/vinyl being to loose on the old foam. Its pretty simple really, and im sure you can find a tutorial on youtube.

Honestly if I was looking at a GTO I think I would rather have the Pontiac G8 instead. I see a few around town and to me that's a nice looking car. I don't know about problems (it is a GM afterall :butt:) but I think it looks better and serves the same purpose as a GTO

ab_mach1
10-02-2014, 08:18 PM
The GTO is.....FUGLY. It looks like a grand am and a cavalier had an inbred kid. I know the LS motor and the 6 speed tranny is a great combo BUT it's ugly. If you want the LS/T56 combo, I would back up to a Firehawk or a SS z28.

I have 2 teenagers both fit in the back. Probably not for a long trip but ok for short trips.

Ha! Totally agree, it's down right fugly.

ab_mach1
10-02-2014, 08:24 PM
...Honestly if I was looking at a GTO I think I would rather have the Pontiac G8 instead. I see a few around town and to me that's a nice looking car. I don't know about problems (it is a GM afterall :butt:) but I think it looks better and serves the same purpose as a GTO

Forgot about the G8's. I'm not really a fan of 4-door cars, but that would be a great family car IMO. I think they look better than the GTO's too.

4valve 4tw?
10-02-2014, 11:14 PM
My friend had a GTO forget what year . It pooled water too,it was nice to drive but it seemed sterile and boring. Hard to describe but it was uninspiring even though it was fast it wasn't a muscle car like my dads 65 GTO I remember as a kid
It isn't, I agree 100%. The new age GTO is a power cruiser. That's what the Aussie's are into. In part, that's what I'm looking for in a car. Yeah, I have to get a "family car." It is, it'll easily fit 4, it's just backed up by 300lb-ft off idle.

I still don't see how people call it ugly. Plain? Yes. Boring? Yes. Jelly bean on wheels? Yes. But it's too simplistic to be called ugly to me.

AMG parts are pretty expensive, but there's nothing super complicated and owners say they are rock solid cars. Plain Jane springs, shocks, motor, trans, diff. No technology for technology's sake.

Camaro? No catfish for me. I love me some black WS6, and miss my targa top to no end, but with the cheapy interior and less space, if I had to pick something smaller then the C55 or GTO, I'd probably take a black/red Mach over the WS6. Plus surprisingly, low mileage F bodies are starting to go for more then low mileage LS2 GTO's. That's an extremely hard sell to me.

Why not just buy some WHOOPED *** 03/04 cobra seats, buy the TMI seat skins in 10th anniv style and install them..

My good friend had bought some 10th anni seats but is about as anal as you but coming from a vette makes sense. He bought NEW skins from tmi and had them installed onto his seats. Well he gave me his old 10th anni skins and i bought some whooped parchment 03 seats and had them installed. And since he has a seat delete i got his BRAND NEW rear skins.. so now i have 10th anni seats for basically nothing. the fronts have some wear but doesnt bother me

Personally i think the 10th anni are the best 03/04 cobra style seat made, i like black on black but you cant beat the look of these.

I was spoiled with my 842-way c4 seats, easily the best seats I've ever been in. If you've never sat in one of the later years(91-96), try it sometimes. The c5/c6 seats belong in a Geo Metro.

I like the anniversary seats, I've just been in a couple cars with suede/leather and think it's awesome between the look, feel, and helping hold you in place.

Plus one on ordering the TMI upholstery if you don't like the seats. If you have any mechanical skills you can do it yourself. All you need to buy is a pair of hog ring pliers and some hog rings. If you order new foam you wont have to worry about the leather/vinyl being to loose on the old foam. Its pretty simple really, and im sure you can find a tutorial on youtube.

Honestly if I was looking at a GTO I think I would rather have the Pontiac G8 instead. I see a few around town and to me that's a nice looking car. I don't know about problems (it is a GM afterall :butt:) but I think it looks better and serves the same purpose as a GTO

I really don't trust myself with doing a quality job, but that would be an interesting experience. They are only available in vinyl though, and I'd really like some quality leather. Although all of TMI's reviews seem to say the vinyl is durable as hell, and it's hard to tell the difference between it and leather.

While I agree the GTO is too rounded and bland, I think the G8 looks overdone and too squared off. It's 4 doors are a plus. However, it's ~250lbs heavier then a GTO, and the GTO's 6.0 makes 400/400, while the G8 GT's 6.0 makes a not as rev-happy 361/385. They also seem to be holding their value well because of their rarity. The only advantage it has is its updated 6-speed auto. The downside is the auto's the only transmission.

If I really needed 4 doors, that's where the C55 AMG accels. 362hp, 376lb-ft, and less then 3550lbs. It's small size but healthy HP is why I'm giving the fact it only comes in an auto, a pass. And it doesn't appear to be maxed out like other Euro, tiny-motor cars. Headers/intake/tune are supposedly good for ~40whp.

Of course, the Mach is another 100lbs less then that AND comes in manual. Not the best suspension, but that can be change. Removing weight is infinitely harder usually. Looks wise, it's the clear winner.

3 different cars, 3 very different pros/cons. 1st world problems lol.