PDA

View Full Version : CNN "Tony Stewart hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York"

blown03Mach1
08-10-2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/10/justice/tony-stewart-hits-driver/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Tony and victim get in a wreck and during caution lap victim gets out of his car to yell at Stewart as Stewart drives by. Reports are Stewarts rear tire struck the other driver and the other driver ended up dying from his injuries.

Looking at the video I suspect Tony better get a REALLY good lawyer as there was plenty of track down low to avoid the victim driver, but my suspicion is that Tony wanted to "brush" the other driver as a sign of know you roll. Purely speculation on my part...

Sad to read about....

iamkevin7
08-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Vid on YouTube is pretty sad.

falcongtho3
08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
It was one of the first things I saw when I turned on the news this morning.
First:My thoughts and prayers go out to the Ward family.
Next:This is similar to something (the walking out to call down a driver guilty of crowding or crashing a driver) we see often at all levels of motorsports, but not with the same results.
Lastly: Stewart has to live with this. Regardless of the actions of the authorities and actions of the leaders of NASCAR, it's his to deal with.

Tragic on so many levels.

:borg:

not a gt
08-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Sad, surprised nothing like this has never happenned at Bristol, gonna be a "Gentlemen stay in your car" ruling coming out soon. I hope Tony's past doesn't come back to haunt him as well (temper). As well, I understand these guys have a "passion" for the sport, but you don't see NFL players going to a college on a Saturday to play football, I just don't think he and others should be out there when THESE guys are trying to race and make the name for themselves like HE already has. Hope makes sense what I am getting at. Some of thoses dudes on that track are racing on money they made working a day job, they are trying to get a break anjd get noticed, kinda hard to do when you are on the track with a NASCAR star ( not sure if you DO beat him how much weight that carries since others will say he was just out there running)..news said Tony will NOT be racing today, sad Mr Ward will never race again.

Thunderbolt
08-10-2014, 01:13 PM
The uncut video looks like Stewart was going a lot faster than the sprint car ahead of him that just passed that kid. Of course you'll never know if Stewart was just trying to brush him back, and instead the worst happens. Nothing is going to happen from this except drivers will probably have to stay in their race cars until emergency crews arrive after a wreck.

stang8092
08-10-2014, 03:21 PM
It's a tragedy but no reason he should be leaving the safety of his car. If he wanted to be a tough guy, he should have waited until after the race to take a swing.

Nekasrof
08-10-2014, 05:02 PM
This should not be about 'tony stewart hits, kill driver'. This is a dumb kid getting out of his car and walking on the track. Black suit, black background. As a driver, there is more going on than what the camera is watching. Just because YOU see that this kid is in front of the cars(on camera), doesn't mean stewart could see him til the car in front of him cleared him. It's a very difficult angle to determine. If you're stupid enough to get out of your car and STAND/WALK in traffic, caution or not, then when you get hit/killed.......well, SH.. happens. Now where are you???

Stewart has to live with this. The kid's family has to live with this. The fans have to live with this. On and on and on. I place NO blame on Stewart. Temper or not, you will NOT convince me he'd attempt to hit/clip a driver out of his car, no matter what. Blame = other driver

gvervoren
08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
It's sad to see that he lost his life but walking out onto the track towards moving cars on a dim lit dirt track wearing almost all black is not a smart thing to do. I see this as an accident and I believe Stewart will not be charged for it. Its like when you see someone walking on the side of the road at night wearing all black and you don't see them till your right on top of them. I'm guessing its the same deal here. By time Stewart saw him, it was too late.

Vndcatr
08-10-2014, 09:49 PM
This should not be about 'tony stewart hits, kill driver'. This is a dumb kid getting out of his car and walking on the track. Black suit, black background. As a driver, there is more going on than what the camera is watching. Just because YOU see that this kid is in front of the cars(on camera), doesn't mean stewart could see him til the car in front of him cleared him. It's a very difficult angle to determine. If you're stupid enough to get out of your car and STAND/WALK in traffic, caution or not, then when you get hit/killed.......well, SH.. happens. Now where are you???

Stewart has to live with this. The kid's family has to live with this. The fans have to live with this. On and on and on. I place NO blame on Stewart. Temper or not, you will NOT convince me he'd attempt to hit/clip a driver out of his car, no matter what. Blame = other driver

+1 I gotta agree with you on this. Crazy situation and because of it im sure more rules/regulations will be put into place. Poor kid and his family though..rip!

not a gt
08-11-2014, 09:11 AM
This is from an article I was reading

It was the second consecutive year Stewart had raced at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, where he triggered a 15-car crash in which Alysha Ruggles, 19, suffered a compression fracture in her back last July. (I would like to know if in that wreck Mr Ward was involved as well, and now second time in a row he is wrecked... gets hot about it??)

The whole article, they touch on my comment of the days of getting out the car are over, just like I feel sponsors are gonna want there drivers to lose some "passion for racing" and stay in the trailer till Sprint cup race day. The only part I don't like is if you crank up the volume on the video, you can clearly hear Tony bump the throttle and kick the rear out, kinda like when a batter is crowding the plate and a pitcher gives him a little "chin music" to get him back but the pitch is a little TO close and hits him, looks to me Tony was giving him a "F you" throttle blip and never thought that would be the end result. Dude still needed to stay in the car when it all said and done, just sad all around.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/08/10/tony-stewart-kevin-ward-jr-driver-killed-raises-nascar-questions/13862327/

4valve 4tw?
08-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Title should be "Hot-headed kid storms track and headbutts car, car wins."

It's Darwinism in action. Feel bad for everyone involved, except the kid, even if TS has earned D-Bag of the year award several times from the very, very little I read of NAZCARRR.

DSG2003Mach1
08-11-2014, 12:26 PM
TS is the only one that will ever know the truth about what happened but fact is the kid's car wasnt on fire, if he doesnt get out this doesnt happen

ab_mach1
08-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Man, I just hope that he didn't do that on purpose. It would be really sad knowing someone who people look up to that was so angry at someone over a dang race that they'd run over them. Just so sad. Gonna be really tough to mend this open wound either Tony's involvment turns out.

DSG2003Mach1
08-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Im too lazy to go back but someone on another forum posted an in-car video of that type of car and the visibility is pretty awful, I can understand how he might not have seen him until the last second.

Another poster in the same thread apparently has a lot of experience with these cars and was explaining how they work with how theyre setup and according to him from what he sees TS was doing what little that could be done at that point to avoid the kid

TKat13
08-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Get out, stand by the wall. Period.

The car in front of TS looked like he came close to the kid as well. Why anyone would approach a moving race car is beyond me especially on a slick surface like dirt. I know many drivers are guilty of this action but what good has ever come from it?

Sad day for sure.

gvervoren
08-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Another driver told what he saw and he said that it looked like Tony did the most he could to avoid hitting him. As for bumping the gas, that is how you steer the cars. You steer with the rear tires just as much as the steering wheel.
Here is an article about the other drivers point of view.

http://powernationtv.com/post/fellow-sprint-car-racer-comes-forward-with-details-following-death-of-kevin-ward-jr#.U-piMklOrDt.facebook

Lonestar77777
08-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Tony is a hot head and not a killer, I wish him well though.

LS:smokin: