PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever have issues with a motor built by John Tymensky?

Guido
07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Very long story, short - I paid Tymensky a great deal of money for a Big Bore - Stroker. Upon its first drive and rev, it now sounds like this

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w133/Gweedo419/th_idle.mp4 (http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w133/Gweedo419/idle.mp4)

I tried contacting him several times about it for some guidance and never heard back. Sent a certified letter in the mail - never heard back. Had a lawyer call him - I hear back from his lawyer.

I hear that several others had issues with his motors and motors from Modular Performance in the past. If anybody can pass along any info that would be appreciated.

Swetrid
07-31-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow! Sounds like maybe timing chain guides or tensioners are broken to me. Was it an assembled long block?

iamkevin7
07-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Why is the pcv hose on the RT valve cover crimped shut? Never heard of the guy but your engine sounds like s**t. I hope you get it straightened out.

Guido
07-31-2014, 09:21 PM
It was a built longblock. Livernois did the heads and he assembled and spec'd everything.

I removed the timing cover and valve covers. All looks good.

The PCV valve is kinked, but it still flows air. Although at this point, I wish that was my only problem. :(

Swetrid
07-31-2014, 09:40 PM
How does it run? Does it have a miss?

st0ck Mach 1
07-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Man I feel for ya, another build by a performance shop gone wrong. I swear I am starting to believe the only people at performance shops cant find a better job elsewhere.
I thought about it for a bit this summer and bought this new toy, way faster and cheaper.

Guido
08-01-2014, 06:53 AM
it does sound like it has a miss. i didn't get it tuned yet so i'm not beating on it, but it does move under its own power ok.

i thought john tymensky was a stand up guy. i reached out to him several times from the beginning of this and never heard back. calls, emails, certified mail - no response. the last letter i sent him i told him i'd have to get legal council if i don't hear back, so i did. now i'm hearing from his attorney.

so much for a "stand up" guy.

not a gt
08-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Man I feel for ya, another build by a performance shop gone wrong. I swear I am starting to believe the only people at performance shops cant find a better job elsewhere.
I thought about it for a bit this summer and bought this new toy, way faster and cheaper.

:eek:

not a gt
08-01-2014, 07:21 AM
it does sound like it has a miss. i didn't get it tuned yet so i'm not beating on it, but it does move under its own power ok.

i thought john tymensky was a stand up guy. i reached out to him several times from the beginning of this and never heard back. calls, emails, certified mail - no response. the last letter i sent him i told him i'd have to get legal council if i don't hear back, so i did. now i'm hearing from his attorney.

so much for a "stand up" guy.

This whole deal sucks, I goggled the dude since I didn't know who he was, dang according to internet shop closed in 2011, he died in a car wreck, etc. I hope this goes well and she just needs a good tune.

Mach828
08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
This whole deal sucks, I goggled the dude since I didn't know who he was, dang according to internet shop closed in 2011, he died in a car wreck, etc. I hope this goes well and she just needs a good tune.

So OP has a BBS built by a ghost? :eek:

01yellerCobra
08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
I think it was his son that died in the crash.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Mach828
08-01-2014, 11:12 AM
^^ that is sad :(

Hopefully everything works out for you OP

not a gt
08-01-2014, 12:04 PM

Dang, sorry for the family.

01yellerCobra
08-01-2014, 12:11 PM
This was a few years ago. But what I heard was his son died and he closed the doors to the shop. I only know that because I wanted to use him back then. I have no idea when/if he started building engines again.

TKat13
08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
that sounds terrible, is the sound coming from the front cover and both heads? It is hard to tell. I assume you checked oil pressure?

Mustang9668
08-01-2014, 01:00 PM

That is correct. It was a boat accident.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

devous1
08-01-2014, 01:25 PM
YUK, I have a similar issue. I had Livernois build my BBS, stage 3 heads etc. After about 2 yrs I finally get the car running. We drove it maybe 100 miles at most last summer and I noticed it was having issues the last time I drove it.

The car sat all winter and this spring I changed the oil and fixed a couple little items. I went to drive it around the block and noticed it was way down on power. I let it sit in the drive for about 30 minutes and restarted it, then it stalled and wouldn't restart. It will start cold but sounds like ****, so its finally on the trailer and going to CRT tomorrow. Hopefully Jeff can give me some good news.

I don't even wanna start the car without Jeff around to hear it. Hopefully a little data logging will come up with something.

01yellerCobra
08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
This makes me glad I built my own.

DSG2003Mach1
08-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Sucks man... This is why if anything happens to my motor if probably just bite the bullet and drive up to proline. Regardless of who does my next motor ONE shop willbe responsible for the whole damned thing do no blame game can be played

Hope you get it straight quickly and for minimal cost

not a gt
08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
That is correct. It was a boat accident.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/05/neighbors_describe_grand_river.html

MAD_MACh1
08-01-2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/05/neighbors_describe_grand_river.html

**** that's not to that far form me. I don't remember hearing about that one.

OP, was was your engine built at?

Guido
08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
modular performance was a father/son operation. the son was the one who passed in the accident.

mp was closed down after that but now the father (John) is building motors on the side.

Roy
08-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Who builds their motors?

littlemags
08-02-2014, 02:18 PM
my build was perfect from John....never had an issue at all.....plus he kept me the loop the whole time...weird

st0ck Mach 1
08-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Who builds their motors?

I did'nt, started with a longblock and went from there. Luckily its a good build, could update the cams since it spins higher now but....you have to pick a stopping point somewhere!
When its time to freshen i will do the assembly but not the machine work.

Lonestar77777
08-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Sounds like you are corn holed and are bleeding green on a build that sounds like Goober at Gomper piles shop did you a solid build of shyte. Unless this gamoke has some money lawyers are a waste all you can do is assault him with paper. Move on and learn from how they got into your pocket. Next time really check the shop out and its customers for there experiences. There are good shops out there and trustworthy mechanics. Sorry for your pain.

LS:santa:

Guido
08-10-2014, 11:53 AM
video is back up.

devous1
08-16-2014, 08:58 PM
So whats the word? I found out I lost a secondary timing gear, left side intake. It bent a couple valves and nicked a piston. We are ordering all new MMR billet gears and heavy duty chains plus some other timing items. What a PIA the car had less than 100 miles on it.