PDA

View Full Version : Art Hyde at Charlotte on the Mach 1 (very cool video)

falcongtho3
06-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I decided to park this in the members only section as it's mostly important to this in the Members Only section as it pertains to the '03/'04 Mach 1 owners and enthusiasts.
Art was at the Charlotte show and I wish I could say I was there to see this, but was not. Wolfgang, from the German website (he was at our Hooters dinner) shared this with me and only now allowed me to share it.
Some of the things said here were a real surprise to me...enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8TQ6TJF3tw&feature=youtu.be

:borg:

Bill Hamilton
06-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Wow! That was one cool video. Never dreamed that the 03/04 Mach 1 was a money maker for Ford. :3b:

falcongtho3
06-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Especially not THAT much! It's pretty well known that the F150 is the money maker at Ford, and we were in that club!?! Amazing what a parts shelf scavenge can do for you?!?

jbrad88
06-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Interesting comment that without Mach1 the s197 would not have existed?

Did I hear that correctly?

Nice video...

falcongtho3
06-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Yep, I heard the same thing. Sounds like if it weren't for the Mach 1, the Mustang might not be around today, or at least not in the way we know it now.
This is the first I've ever heard of that, and we heard it from someone who was deep into the inner sanctum of those who would know such things.

Bill Hamilton
06-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I loved the SN-95 look. I thought the Fox-bodied got away from the Mustang look. It looked too European to me especially in 1987 when it went to the aero look. Heck even the Mustang II ('74-'78) had "Mustang" styling cues whereas the Fox body had none. The being said, I never owned a Mustang II but did own two Foxes and loved them (an '89 and '90 5.0LX). The 1994 Mustang SN-95 to me returned to the Mustang roots and when the '96 model returned to the tri-bar tail lights is had come full circle.

We've come to believe that a Mustang must have a V-8 and rear wheel drive. However the newer V-6's will out run many of the older V-8's to include the Fox-bodies in stock configurations. I think the eco-boost will make us think again about the "must have" V-8's. That being said, I'm an old guy and wanted one more "old" Mustang with a big V-8 and purposely bought a 2014 GT-500. I remember when they went away in 1970 and I could not afford the $4500 then new price tag. This time I could. :)

03BumbleBee
06-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Glad we could Help!

jbrad88
06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Yep, I heard the same thing. Sounds like if it weren't for the Mach 1, the Mustang might not be around today, or at least not in the way we know it now.
This is the first I've ever heard of that, and we heard it from someone who was deep into the inner sanctum of those who would know such things.

well...that does it...I'm never getting rid of the car now...its too important a car...:ANGEL:

24kmach
06-22-2014, 11:38 PM
I believe John made this all up to big deal his car. :smokin: Just saying. :23:

311-420
06-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Nice little behind the scenes vid. But calling a Mach 1 an 01 cobra with a GT running gear is pretty vague and inaccurate. As we all know, there's many differences in just about every corner. Cool to know how much the Mach 1 helped pay the bills though!

Bill Hamilton
06-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Well I think they did a Hell of job for just a "parts bin car". (LOL):laugh:

thehubster
06-23-2014, 11:24 AM
Awesome video man!! Lots of cool information about our cars.

311-420
06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Well I think they did a Hell of job for just a "parts bin car". (LOL):laugh:

Definitely! They took the parts bin, turned it upside down, shook it and created a car that was superior to the 01 cobra in every way.

st0ck Mach 1
06-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Yup just a leftover parts bin car...lol obviously the better parts and saved the ship to boot. Its funny, when i bought my mach i was on the lot looking at f-150s. :smokin:

XSELLR8
06-23-2014, 10:39 PM
All I can say is that I'm very glad they made the Mach 1, and not only just made it, but made it very special. I made a video about the terminator from John Coletti's book Iron Fist, lead foot, and when I'm done reading it I'll make one about the Mach 1 I'm sure.
If anyone wants to see it, its here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I4ZZ3f2DuGY. I almost didn't post it because it was more of a rough draft and wasn't very well edited, but I let it stay and now its got quite a significant amount of views.

falcongtho3
06-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Nice video. One for the Mach 1 would be fun to do. The book is a must read for anyone who is a Ford gearhead. Maybe we'll see a similar Mach tome in the future.
One thing about the Cobra design which you may or may not know, is that the front end restyling was done by none other than Camilo Pardo of Ford GT design fame.

XSELLR8
06-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Nice video. One for the Mach 1 would be fun to do. The book is a must read for anyone who is a Ford gearhead. Maybe we'll see a similar Mach tome in the future.
One thing about the Cobra design which you may or may not know, is that the front end restyling was done by none other than Camilo Pardo of Ford GT design fame.

Yes, his name appeared in the book of course, but I couldn't remember it off the top of my head so I didn't say it :eyes: I was surprised that he did not like the 99/01 Cobra front bumper cover design and felt he had a second chance on the 03-04 Cobra. I like both designs, and know the 99/01 design has become very popular-especially on the Mach 1.

muzman
06-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Great post. The Mach must have been profitable because parts were readily available, except shaker and there must have been a huge mark up on the retail price, (did we pay too much?) if it help fund the next generation.At least that's a point I can dine out on with later model mustang owners, they should thank us.:smokin: Just saying.

Nice Cobra video as well.:CHEERS:

jbrad88
06-24-2014, 07:45 PM
I went to youtube to see the video and watched Art's video about Bullitt...

that one is cool as well...

falcongtho3
06-24-2014, 08:53 PM
The Bullitt video was the first was I was sent, but I was told about the Mach 1 segment and have been waiting impatiently for it.
Wolfgang also sent me a really cool video about the 50th, but it is long and I have not had a chance to watch it all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfvSNHWEio

jbrad88
06-24-2014, 11:22 PM
I loved Hyde's statement that Bullitt was never officially approved by ford...

If anyone ever doubts what he and Colletti and their teams did to keep this car alive...

The older I get, the more stuff like this matters...

XSELLR8
06-25-2014, 05:26 AM
I loved Hyde's statement that Bullitt was never officially approved by ford...

If anyone ever doubts what he and Colletti and their teams did to keep this car alive...

The older I get, the more stuff like this matters...

Reminds me of the Boss 351 V10 prototype. It was never officially approved to build, but the right people knew how to push work orders through. I like things like that too.

Tony Alonso
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
The moral of the story is...MACH ON, BABY! :)

Thanks for posting, John. I would have loved to meet Wolfgang in person in Charlotte.