PDA

View Full Version : 78K miles + Extended Warranty from dealer... Need advice

Swfttwoeightone
06-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Hey guys i would like some opinions on what you would do in my shoes...

The deal is I received a letter offering a warranty thru a ford autonation dealer I recently visited for a free oil change. I called them up this morning and was told it would be similar to a new car warranty 3years or 36k miles bumper to bumper coverage. The first quote was for 3800 and after asking for a better price 3150. Once I pay the down payment I would receive a package that includes detailed coverage and have 30 days to cancel.

Is it worth doing? Or am I better off saving this money for my own "warranty"?

dmustang408
06-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I would just save your money. If you did buy the warranty and something happened they might try to void it if you have any performance parts on the car. I really doubt it would cover basic things like brakes or tires or battery because they consider that to be maintance items. I would save your money, just my 2 cents on this.

Saltyweasel
06-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't buy it. Those types of warranties often have a **** ton of fine print in them as to what they will cover.

DSG2003Mach1
06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
the deductibles can be pretty bad too

Thunderbolt
06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Forget the warranty. Just pay as you go with whatever breaks that needs fixing. I doubt your gonna rack up $3K worth of repairs in 3 years unless you blow up your engine or transmission. Their's no way they're gonna fix for free all the wear and tear items at 78K miles. Reminds me of those companies that charge you each month and then when your car breaks, it's suppose to be all repaired for free. Bullcrap.

Swfttwoeightone
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I think you are all right and maybe the money would be better spent maintaining my car and repairing as i go. Either way the warranty doesnt cover what i will need most of the time like ya'll said brakes oil changes etc.. Thanks again guys

shadowmaker
06-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey guys i would like some opinions on what you would do in my shoes...

The deal is I received a letter offering a warranty thru a ford autonation dealer I recently visited for a free oil change. I called them up this morning and was told it would be similar to a new car warranty 3years or 36k miles bumper to bumper coverage. The first quote was for 3800 and after asking for a better price 3150. Once I pay the down payment I would receive a package that includes detailed coverage and have 30 days to cancel.

Is it worth doing? Or am I better off saving this money for my own "warranty"?

As already said, I would pass but read the small print. Dont go on what they 'say' go by whats in the contract. Is it new parts or junk yard parts? Are you gonna mod the car? $3100 buys a lot of stuff.

Shadow0415
06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Ill play devils advocate, I did get the extended warranty.
didn't impact my monthly too much in the end (I think it was 25 extra a month for a 4 year warranty under Ford Premium care).

Personally I looked at it like this, if something major should fail--I would rather pay a smaller deductible than getting stuck with the whole bill up front. I took it in for warranty work with a non stock mid pipe with a K&N intake and they didn't have a problem whatsoever nor mention it. I had asked both the head tech and the sales manager about what was covered under fords warranty and it was pretty solid.

I even asked if I blew my engine from known hard driving, it would just be a deductible to replace the engine. Technically, unless they have solid proof of a performance part causing damage, they cannot necessarily void warranty. I read an article about your rights as the warranty holder and after market parts. If I find the article I will be sure to post it up!

In all honesty, I agree that it prolly isn't worth it, but being that I did get it, I thought I would share my reasoning. At 78k, im sure it wouldnt hurt for some of the drive train and suspension components that start to fail at higher mileage. I would see how it compares to the Ford Premium care. I know with mine, my shocks and struts are even warranted.

If its not ford premium care, dont even consider it

shadowmaker
06-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Ill play devils advocate, I did get the extended warranty.
didn't impact my monthly too much in the end (I think it was 25 extra a month for a 4 year warranty under Ford Premium care).

Personally I looked at it like this, if something major should fail--I would rather pay a smaller deductible than getting stuck with the whole bill up front. I took it in for warranty work with a non stock mid pipe with a K&N intake and they didn't have a problem whatsoever nor mention it. I had asked both the head tech and the sales manager about what was covered under fords warranty and it was pretty solid.

I even asked if I blew my engine from known hard driving, it would just be a deductible to replace the engine. Technically, unless they have solid proof of a performance part causing damage, they cannot necessarily void warranty. I read an article about your rights as the warranty holder and after market parts. If I find the article I will be sure to post it up!

In all honesty, I agree that it prolly isn't worth it, but being that I did get it, I thought I would share my reasoning. At 78k, im sure it wouldnt hurt for some of the drive train and suspension components that start to fail at higher mileage. I would see how it compares to the Ford Premium care. I know with mine, my shocks and struts are even warranted.

If its not ford premium care, dont even consider it

I agree with that. If its thru Ford, I may even consider it. I would negotiate a lower price too. Tell them, $2k and see where they go. Its pure profit for them. Then if its thru Ford, any dealer will take it. Build a good relationship with the dealer if its nothing but oil changes. Most will take care of you, especially if you give them all 10s on the customer surveys. :yes:

Youre right, they simply cant void the warranty. But they have lawyers on standby, the avg guy cant be without a car for the time it would take to get all of it thru court. Or cant afford the lawyer to fight it. Basically, they can wait you out. Again, dealer relationship is key.