PDA

View Full Version : **upset with bama tunes**

blown up
05-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I bought the SCT Tuner from American Racing, I had received 3 free tunes all was for 93 octane But I had detonation from 2800 rpms on up so I called bama back for a 4th time finally got someone that heard my complaints I was sent another set of tunes for 91 octane still same problem, then got another tune with more timing pulled out still the same problem. So I called left messages and talked to a few reps and still no response. So beware and later I find out the tunes were for a 5.0l and not for a 4v not happy with them...Now on my way to the Dyno

03 mach 1 -24,000 miles
jlt intake
slp exhst
4:10 gear
18 inch rims

still shooting for the 300hp range..

frijol79
05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
That sucks something like that shouldn't happen they are professionals.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JoshMac
05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
That sucks something like that shouldn't happen they are idiots.

Fixed

mach18604
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Im so glad I passed on getting one of these!

best of luck to you tho

blown up
05-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Im so glad I passed on getting one of these!

best of luck to you tho

Its not the SCT TUNNER It self its the tune, you can do so much with it like data logging code, erase codes, gear changes..ect..

mr-proper
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
jup same here!!! i have been saying it for a while.
stay away from BAMA tunes, for a MACH 1 !!!:wall:

ab_mach1
05-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I had pinging too with my all my tunes. I switched to 91 tunes and made them update the tunes 5 times before I am satisfied it doesn't do 99% of the time. I did 3 data logs for them, but I don't really think they looked at them until Mike Wilson was asked to help. I plan to go with another tuner (tuning professional not handheld) later this year. I've been running with the 91R tune, but have been putting Lucas octane boost in with 93 gas to hopefully help. Those canned tunes seemed to work okay on the 99-04 GT's, but not the Mach's.

I know Lund is one that does good email tunes. Who else is good at email tunes?

perezmach1
05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I think since our Mach's are not to common making a tune is a bit of a challenge. That's my opinion I could be wrong. I plan on tuning my car but will be doing a custome dyno tune to make sure it's a little more accurate! Sorry to hear this happen to you. Hope it gets fixed

DSG2003Mach1
05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
all the mach1s and 99/00 cobras, a basic bolt on car shouldnt have tuning issues

are you guys that are pinging still running stock plugs? seems like maybe they need to be dropped one heat range colder. My car detonated after my VMP dyno tune (back before he had a loaded dyno, it was fine on the dyno but pinged on the street). I back the timing down and it was ok, went one range colder on the plugs and was able to add the timing back

ab_mach1
05-06-2013, 09:47 PM
all the mach1s and 99/00 cobras, a basic bolt on car shouldnt have tuning issues

are you guys that are pinging still running stock plugs? seems like maybe they need to be dropped one heat range colder. My car detonated after my VMP dyno tune (back before he had a loaded dyno, it was fine on the dyno but pinged on the street). I back the timing down and it was ok, went one range colder on the plugs and was able to add the timing back

Yup, I went to Autolite 104's from the SP433 stock Motorcraft plugs. This did help, but asking them to do yet another data log and telling them when it was actually happening was what helped most. I plan to buy some NGK TR6's here soon. Not much more expensive and I have seen a lot of guys on here go with them.

blown up
05-06-2013, 10:00 PM

I understand changing the plugs to one step colder from stock if I had a power adder but maybe I am missing something every engine builder I know says the same thing the stock plugs should be ok?e

Can someone chime in in regards to plugs on a stock engine need to be changed when getting a tune? This is new to me.

blown up
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM

yes I have stock plugs.

mr-proper
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
yes I have stock plugs.

to hell with bama:concerned!! no need for plugs when only bolt ons! iam cammed and custom tune(real dyno custom tune) and run stock motocraft plugs! no detonation or pinging etc. ,even when cruising below 2000rpm! no problems:cool:

blown up
05-06-2013, 10:53 PM
to hell with bama:concerned!! no need for plugs when only bolt ons! iam cammed and custom tune(real dyno custom tune) and run stock motocraft plugs! no detonation or pinging etc. ,even when cruising below 2000rpm! no problems:cool:

that's what I plan on doing. thanks for the responses everyone Just wanted to let everyone aware of what would happen if you use them fortunes on our Machs;

I will keep you posted after the tune in a couple of weeks.:agree:

ab_mach1
05-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I always wondered if the dyno tune was really necessary for CAI, H-pipe, cat back, etc. I guess it depends if they let you make adjustments for a reasonable price as you obtain more mods.

JeromeMach1
05-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Why are people in 2013 still get mail order tunes? Get a dyno tune. There you will be able to data log, look at the data, make adjustments, and monitor the results.

If the air inlet temps are the same and manifold pressure is the same, no need to go to colder plugs with simple bolt ons.

Jerome

311-420
05-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Stock heat range plugs do not transfer the added heat caused by advancing ignition timing quickly enough into the cylinder head and into the cooling system. This can bring on the detonation.

The colder plugs have shorter insulators which get the heat out of the plug quicker and into the cooling system. Air inlet temps and manifold pressure have nothing to do with it. If they did, why do we all use colder plugs in nitrous applications? Those air temps can be up to 75 degrees colder than ambient temp and manifold pressure is unchanged. It's because cylinder temps go up when you spray and the heat has to get out of the plug. Same with advancing timing. It adds heats, especially in an engine with 10:1 compression.

Try ngk TR-6 plugs gapped at .035 for n/a Machs if you have the timing advanced.

frijol79
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Stock heat range plugs do not transfer the added heat caused by advancing ignition timing quickly enough into the cylinder head and into the cooling system. This can bring on the detonation.

The colder plugs have shorter insulators which get the heat out of the plug quicker and into the cooling system. Air inlet temps and manifold pressure have nothing to do with it. If they did, why do we all use colder plugs in nitrous applications? Those air temps can be up to 75 degrees colder than ambient temp and manifold pressure is unchanged. It's because cylinder temps go up when you spray and the heat has to get out of the plug. Same with advancing timing. It adds heats, especially in an engine with 10:1 compression.

Try ngk TR-6 plugs gapped at .035 for n/a Machs if you have the timing advanced.

I have a 03 stock mach with 32,500 miles and stock plugs should I replace them? Thank you for input.

311-420
05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I have a 03 stock mach with 32,500 miles and stock plugs should I replace them? Thank you for input.

Your plugs are probably fine, but as easy as it is to do on these cars, I would. Do it when the engine is cold, use a small dab of anti seize on the threads and some di-electric grease inside the cops when you put them back on. Don't over tighten the plugs. Aluminum is soft.

Machofmanhattan
05-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I have heard nothing but bad things about them. I went with Eric Brooks at Brooksspeed.com ...so far it has been great. We are still working on getting my remote tune dialed in but his reputation seems to be stellar. So far A++ if you don't have a reputable local dyno tuner I would say look towards people like Lund Racing, Brooks Speed, Amazon, etc.

DSG2003Mach1
05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
just like the guy on SVTP that wouldnt let Bama tune his lawnmower, I wouldnt let amazon tune my bicycle. If you care to look more into Amazon just go dig around lightningrodder and lightninggarage (ignore Joker, that dude is off his ****ing meds)

...Im pretty sure Rick is the one that said 14 degrees of timing was very conservative on a blown 10:1 motor running 93 after the guy lost his motor...my car detonated badly before 5000rpm with just over 14degrees and the procharger

Machofmanhattan
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
just like the guy on SVTP that wouldnt let Bama tune his lawnmower, I wouldnt let amazon tune my bicycle. If you care to look more into Amazon just go dig around lightningrodder and lightninggarage (ignore Joker, that dude is off his ****ing meds)

...Im pretty sure Rick is the one that said 14 degrees of timing was very conservative on a blown 10:1 motor running 93 after the guy lost his motor...my car detonated badly before 5000rpm with just over 14degrees and the procharger

Hey I'm a bicycle mechanic on the weekends :cool: ... Good thing I went with Brooks it sounds like... at one time I had considered Amazon TS.

iudelt89
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Just ran a full track day (five 30 min sessions) at the Autobahn country club yesterday with the bama race tune (93 oct). Was running the car up to about 6800rpm in some places. I didn't have any problems at all, car ran like a champ. Mods are K&N intake, JBA o/r h-pipe, and SSS Adrenaline cat back as far as power mods go. I know a lot of people complain about the tunes, but I havn't had any problems with mine so far.

not a gt
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Just ran a full track day (five 30 min sessions) at the Autobahn country club yesterday with the bama race tune (93 oct). Was running the car up to about 6800rpm in some places. I didn't have any problems at all, car ran like a champ. Mods are K&N intake, JBA o/r h-pipe, and SSS Adrenaline cat back as far as power mods go. I know a lot of people complain about the tunes, but I havn't had any problems with mine so far.

:agree:

JeromeMach1
05-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Good point and I agree. I did not realize folks were advancing their timing.

If they did, why do we all use colder plugs in nitrous applications?

Do the manifold or cylinder pressures increase with the use of nitrous? I realize I said air inlet tems and manifold pressure but I meant cylinder.

Why such a tight gap?

Jerome

311-420
05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Good point and I agree. I did not realize folks were advancing their timing.

Do the manifold or cylinder pressures increase with the use of nitrous? I realize I said air inlet tems and manifold pressure but I meant cylinder.

Why such a tight gap?

Jerome

Of course cylinder temps and pressure go up when you spray, just like when you advance timing. Got to keep the plugs cool though.

.035 is not that tight of a gap. Many, many people run the n/a setups with this configuration. Its extra insurance against high rpm misfire with very little power sacrifice over running them at a .05x gap. Certainly worth it IMO.

04torched
05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Dyno tunes are the way to go, they'll run it until its a perfect tune for your car, well worth the extra $$

JeromeMach1
05-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Its extra insurance against high rpm misfire with very little power sacrifice over running them at a .05x gap

I agree. I found the difference in hp between a .035in gap and a .052in gap to be roughly 5rwhp. This was on my car when it was making roughly 360rwhp.

Jerome